Hello Guest May 01, 2024, 19:01:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: So, you want the perfect storm...?  (Read 78450 times)

Captain Titanic

• Forum member
Re: So, you want the perfect storm...?
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2008, 18:11:11 »

Mr Idontwantversiononepointone is not to be made fun of. Weather it is stupid or "normal" :D ;D
administrator: www.shipsimulator.heavenforum.com

I like pie!

Captain Titanic

• Forum member
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2008, 18:12:43 »

Mr Idontwantversiononepointone says that you have a nice sig :)
administrator: www.shipsimulator.heavenforum.com

I like pie!

agb610

• Forum member
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2008, 20:29:27 »

i can't seem to get my waves to look like that:( They just look a bit bigger but they are going all over the place! And they don't look that big!! What is wrong??

B-lex

• Forum member
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2008, 22:12:09 »

I have the same problem as AGB610, can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2008, 01:50:29 »

Hello B-lex and agb610,

This does not work anymore with Shipsim V1.1 or higher.

We closed this particular loop-hole in 1.1.
(martijn is part of the development team, in case you wonder)

So it only works with V1.0 BUT note that it will lose you your warranty and all rights to support.

Regards,
Fred

iakgia

• Forum member
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2008, 00:16:08 »

something more easy......???how difficult would be for microsoft to make a patch or upgrade version improving the choice of beauofort scale...or wave height..?..??it is not so realistic for the game to have the scale only up to 8 bf...it had to be up to 12 bf and the high waves up to 16-18 meters high...???
          PLEASE IMPROVE THIS GOOD GAME.......MAKE THE RELATED PATCH......!!!!! :D

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2008, 00:43:29 »

how difficult would be for microsoft to make a patch or upgrade version improving the choice of beauofort scale

Microsoft didn't create Ship Simulator.  The game was created by Vstep :)

www.vstep.nl

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

ejdereldek

• Forum member
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2008, 01:58:14 »

then can anybody sent this file weatherpresets xml file because i m not able to make bigger waves i have tried all offthem written above but still 4 metres :(

here is my mail address  ejder_kaptan@hotmail.com please share this file....

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2008, 02:40:15 »

Hi ejdereldek,

This feature was disabled in patch V1.1, you cannot do this, unless you run V1,0.

And please note the warning about warranty and technical support!  ;)

Regards,
Fred

ejdereldek

• Forum member
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2008, 06:16:10 »

thanx for ansver Mad_Fred i use v1.3 is it possible to do this??

i know all risks...

hmm ok it will now work in 1.1 and 1.3 anyway thanx for help we are waiting for the patch of monster waves:)..
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:22:11 by ejdereldek »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2008, 06:30:31 »

Hi ejdereldek

now=not, I take it..

Indeed, it can't be done, unless you run V1.0.

I wouldn't hold my breath though. That monster wave patch isn't coming any time soon.  :)

Regards,
Fred

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2008, 07:26:36 »

It can be done in 1.3 -.-

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2008, 07:49:37 »

It shouldn't..    :-\

matt105

• Forum member
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2008, 10:44:02 »

Man this topic is still going on.........

ejdereldek

• Forum member
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2008, 05:19:54 »

It can be done in 1.3 -.-

how who is right you or the mad :S

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2008, 05:48:11 »

Well, the answer was allready in this thread aswell... But that was not the "original" tweaking. I guess Agent|Austin did it this way.  ;D

The ship dynamics were not made on those extreme waves, neither was the shader or the game's cameras.

But if you reallllyyy want it back, you can backup the file called "Environment_Ocean.cgr" from the  \Environments\ folder from 1.0 and put it in your 1.1 version. We just put a MAX() expression in there to prevent you folks creating those waves.

Of course you'll miss out on anything we improved from 1.0 to 1.1 in the ocean-shader (we fixed some artifacts). And I do not guarantee any backwards-compatibility from mixing-up versions like that.

The same warnings still apply. Try it at your own risk and be prepared to lose your warranty and your rights to technical support.

Regards,
Fred

ACR

• Forum member
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2008, 23:24:08 »

well, since most of us want realistic ship handling and realistic enviroment conditons from this simulator it is really a little dissapointment to see the waves locked and to see why-because the ships are modelled that every kind of realism will be lost at higher aves.

when you model areas like the north atlantic you maybe should think about the enviroment conditions on such waters.

the other point is that all seems here to be very censored and every effort from the community to improve that game is treated very very sceptic. (close a "gap" with 1.1, rush comemnts on loosing warranty, files encrypted with no chance to deal with ships features like max speed, dymanics etc)

well, i really truly understand that shipsim is a commercial product with the basic deal to earn as much money as possible with as little (development) effort as possible and it may be politics to block any freeware improvenmts because you cannot sel this features anymore , but history has shown that all games which developed to a real legend were "opened" for free improvements by the community (look at trainsimulator, flightimulator, IL2 etc) .

here i personally have the problem that shipsim gets more and more boring for me. i bought it at the first days of release and enjoyed it much.

but now the missions are played, the areas are sailed, the short 4m wave in the winter atlantic felt and there is nothing more. e.g at trainsim you can look everyday for new locomotives, new tracks etc. and so this 2001!!! developed game is still famous and new users will buy it.

my personal consequence is that i will first look at the comments when the addon will be released if we can find some major things which make the play fun (waves, drifting when wind comes from the side etc) otherwise i will no buy it. and i believe that some other users can do similar.

i am a big fan of shipsimulations, but i would recommend to think about opening the game more for the community and improve the ship dynamics created by enviroment, otherwise this game can become a boring one very quick, and this would surely be not the wanted goal for the company regarding the financial befefits from people who think about buying shipsim in the future.

best regards

pupuveve

• Forum member
« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2008, 04:47:27 »

I used the Titanic to test the storm.

budbud

• Forum member
« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2008, 06:03:16 »

Hi,
Sorry if this point has already been discussed in that topic, I didn't have the guts to read entirely the 6 pages...
Something strikes me each time I see pictures like the one posted by pupuveve (but not the one), when people try to create high waves in the game, these one are really too short. (I'm not sure that any ship could stand this kind of sea!)

I know why the waves in the original game are locked to 4m but I was wondering if model could support waves higher than 4 m but very long like swell in Atlantic ocean?

C'est curieux ce besoin que les marins ont de faire des phrases!

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2008, 08:39:18 »

Look, this isn't tsunami simulator.....
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2008, 12:30:14 »

the other point is that all seems here to be very censored and every effort from the community to improve that game is treated very very sceptic. (close a "gap" with 1.1, rush comemnts on loosing warranty, files encrypted with no chance to deal with ships features like max speed, dymanics etc)

Why would you want people to change the dynamics? 99% of people that tinker with sims have either no idea what they are doing or make it LESS realistic. Do you play VS too for example? And if so, did you download many addons, and did you notice the dynamics on most of the ships? In most cases, that's not realism, that just a pretty model that drives like a car. And these huge waves.. come on.. they are rubbish. Just look at the picture there.  :P

well, i really truly understand that shipsim is a commercial product with the basic deal to earn as much money as possible with as little (development) effort as possible and it may be politics to block any freeware improvenmts because you cannot sel this features anymore , but history has shown that all games which developed to a real legend were "opened" for free improvements by the community (look at trainsimulator, flightimulator, IL2 etc) .

Not true actually. They are working very hard to make this game better and better, but this is only the second version of a relatively new sim, with hardly any competitors out there that go as far into the genre as VSTEP. Things will get better and more advanced over time, as with any sim that is as complex as this one. And the community DOES make improvements, but VSTEP works together with those people and keeps things in control that way, rather than making it a mess with loads of sub standard addons. And this will also make sure there wont be many incompatibility issues on MP and such, by people that have differerent addons installed. Incidentally, this is what Maddox does too.. So IL2 is the same that way.

here i personally have the problem that shipsim gets more and more boring for me. i bought it at the first days of release and enjoyed it much.

but now the missions are played, the areas are sailed, the short 4m wave in the winter atlantic felt and there is nothing more. e.g at trainsim you can look everyday for new locomotives, new tracks etc. and so this 2001!!! developed game is still famous and new users will buy it.

I don't know if you allready played around with it, but the Mission Editor can give you lots and lots more to do. Or you can download the custom missions that are coming out both on the forum and ingame via the ingame downloading feature. It's quite easy to use the Editor and the possibilities are numerous.

i am a big fan of shipsimulations, but i would recommend to think about opening the game more for the community and improve the ship dynamics created by enviroment, otherwise this game can become a boring one very quick, and this would surely be not the wanted goal for the company regarding the financial befefits from people who think about buying shipsim in the future.

To date, there are no user made changes in dynamics to improve anything. As far as new ships go, there have and will be user made ships. Because the best modelers do get a chance to get their ships in the game. This is done in cooperation with VSTEP, so that quality and balance is guaranteed. Dynamics wise, things are constantly being developed and the future will bring much more and better stuff. And we don't need a thousand addon ships of which only 1 or 2 % is anywhere near very good, as some other game has, for example. They might look good, but that's not really what a sim is after. Some other game might have huge waves.. But if a ULCC in there, acts like a bass boat.. then I'm not impressed. :)

So certain restrictions are only there to prevent things getting (being made) worse.. not prevent them being made better.
VSTEP is very keen on working with the people that are able to make a decent contribution that is up to standards. They have always made this clear. But so far, the few "tweaks" that were done, were only making it worse or were used to cheat with missions and to annoy people online,.. like the top speed "hack". If that is what you would like to see, then I'm sorry, but that's not what this sim is about. So where is this knowledgable user base with all the great skills? They haven't exacly stepped up to the plate and made themselves known, to be honest.  ;D

Good things come to those who wait. This is only the beginning. A new addon is just about to be released, so that should give you som more ships and missions to play around with and that also gives lots of new possibilities to make new missions with. In there lies the challenge, doing jobs with the ships. And so far, it has not gotten boring for me, to be honest. It's not the ammount of content, it's what you do with it, for me. And the dynamics may not be perfect or totally complete, but hardly any "normal player" (the ones that make the most addons for other sims) have any idea how to realistically make them better. They think they do, but they dont. Period. That's why only about 5% of MSFS addons fly like the real thing. The rest is totally off. It's a choice you have to make, and VSTEP said no.  :)

Regards,
Fred

*Edit* typos
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 14:12:02 by Mad_Fred »

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2008, 13:10:25 »

That is about the best i have read about this game/sim fred and well put for even the simple minded
 i personally love it don't care if there is not another for quite awhile because there is so much yet
 in what we have untouched docks in hamburg/ rotterdam/ new york/ not even been put into missions
 yet.
  mission makers getting better with new idea's.
 So to me there is still a lot to explore in what we have and what is coming to worry about more ,more
 more.V-STEP care about quality and to me that is what matters i waited 20 years for a game of this
 standard so like the little seed we can watch it grow.
                                                                        Eric
So they give us the perfect storm and we all run out and buy new computers because the
high powered one we have is not good enough and the poor guys on a budget that can not
afford it lose out  :-X   

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2008, 14:11:26 »

That is about the best i have read about this game/sim fred and well put for even the simple minded
 i personally love it don't care if there is not another for quite awhile because there is so much yet
 in what we have untouched docks in hamburg/ rotterdam/ new york/ not even been put into missions
 yet.

Thank you very much for those kind words, Eric.  :)

I do fully agree. There are so many nooks and crannies out there in each (harbor) enviroment and with a good use of AI traffic, waypoints and static objects, you can create millions of scenario's of all kinds of skill levels. And that's what it's all about. Working with the vessels. Not just sailing around checking out the boats or walking around on them. It's acutally doing the jobs that these ships do in real life that the bulk of players are into this game for.
And as such, this game or indeed sim is superior to any (not that there's many) competitor.  ;)

Regards,
Fred

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2008, 14:24:41 »

You got it, Fred! That's why I'm still love to create new missions. Well - and the developers working hard to improve the dynamics of the vessels, if some of us beta-testers asking for it. But it's still a game, so nobody want's to wait, until the "Latitude" reaches her top speed in a realistic time...(just one example where realism beats game play or vice versa)

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 15:43:55 by Bottman »
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: March 17, 2008, 14:52:35 »

I fail to see how anyone can be bored with this simulator. As an ex seafaring man I can state quite categorically that this is the nearest you can get to reality in a simulator for commercial release. If the people who are dissatisfied with the hard work and serious effort put into developing the simulator had even a tiny inkling of what is involved they would perhaps be less critical. Constructive criticism is always listened to by the team at Vstep, and frequently incorporated into the simulator. It strikes me that the current trend of wanting instant gratification without any personal effort is showing up in some of the comments. I note that many of the "Critics" show few, if any scores beside their names, nor as Fred says, do many of them spend a little time on building missions for others to play. The potential is endless if some effort is put in, In the world of real life one only is able to take out if one is prepared to put in. ::) ;)

angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines