Hello Guest May 01, 2024, 21:49:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: So, you want the perfect storm...?  (Read 78459 times)

martijn

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Forum member
Re: So, you want the perfect storm...?
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2007, 08:19:30 »

I hope you do understand that we can't help people with crashes or graphical problems if they do edit that file. Creating waves that high (fun as it is :)) might cause the game to crash or the dynamics to behave strange, as stated in this topic by some user(s).

So I suggest everybody to backup that weatherpresets file in case you might run into a bug/crash/artifact/error.

We just do not want, or can, for that matter, solve problems users might have after editing that file. That's all.

skipper

• Forum member
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2007, 20:47:18 »

if you have 2 operating systems install a copy of the game, one with and one without the patch, on each os,
link to your game/desktop folder in either os and you can have the best of both worlds.( hard disk space permitting of course!)   ;)
p.s. any wave over 8-10 mt looks unnatural due to programming limitations anyway.
fun's the word...spread the word
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 20:50:41 by skipper »

traktor_boy93

• Forum member
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2007, 19:23:56 »

I have tryed it all but i don´t know what to change and i saw a video on youtube.com   and did exactly like the one on the movie but no, it din´t work >:(
What is the changes to be made?

//E. H

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2007, 07:30:03 »

Well... here it is then... I hope you can survive.

I was playing with the weather and I decided to put some random numbers at 5:40 AM, the period where I'm more of a "thinker" haha...

So, here it is just how powerful this thing is, and, an example on what you people can do for FUN :P
Oh, those wakes are just perfect, they dont float around like a certain sim I know, congratulations to the DEVS!

Oh remember, this is just random numbers I created to test if this works, so, here is the crude test for your enjoyment... hehe
Copy and paste this in ur weatherpresets.xml located in ur ss08 main folder, make the usual backup and just put before "</Weatherpresets>" and in <Preset id="7"> change the 7 to the next number available... (i dont know if it will work without any order, but if it doesnt, just do that :P)

PS: I hope this not a repeated topic

does this work with patch 1.1?

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2007, 09:05:21 »

does this work with patch 1.1?

Nah, it was disabled you could say

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2007, 18:36:43 »

Thanks alot,drakonwolf,NOW PEOPLE ARE LOSING WARRANTIES TO SS08!!!THANKS TO YOU,SHIPSIM IS MESSED UP!

shipfan55,

What are you talking about? You post is out of context and doesn't really make sense. It's clearly stated that if you modify the waves you'll lose your warranty. If you want to keep it - don't modify the files. It's that simple! drakonwolf can't be held responsible if users modify their files.

Please leave out you aggressive and victimizing posts. They don't belong on SS forum.

Regards
groennegaard

mr_lizard

• Forum member
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2007, 02:26:08 »

ok so appearantly you can't do this if you have version 1.1 because the weatherpresets.xml is not even in my ship simulator folders at all, unfortunatley i just recently bought the game and it was already version 1.1 when i downloaded it   :(, does anyone know a way to make the bigger waves with version 1.1 or to downgrade?  any answers or help is appreciated, thanks

rsea910

• Forum member
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2007, 04:52:37 »

yeah dude, i would love to make 900 foot swells and drive the titanic through them.  it would be neat to see how she handles
The best captains sail the roughest seas!

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2007, 09:04:04 »

I have question.Could anyone give me  instructions how to make this work,because when i do it it does not take effect.Just to let every one know i would not bother modifing anything because i would of had no idea how to, se here is some good news for the person who made these waves come so awsumly alive :)
                                       I do (Accept) the terms and conditions.

EDIT: Quote error corrected - groennegaard
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 10:52:35 by groennegaard »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

mr_lizard

• Forum member
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2007, 06:53:08 »

hmmm, well if no one knows could someone give me a link to download the original weatherpresets file? from what i've read in earlier posts by a mod you can replace a certain file with the weatherpresets and you will get the same effect, so if anyone has a way to get that to me it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!!

matt1079

• Forum member
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2007, 09:10:44 »

well if you wa your  old persets back all you have to do is copy the presets (BEFORE) you edit them and same them in note pad then when your done you copy and past them back.. i'm i right or rong? i dont know. its gust an idea

Traktor_tempo

• Forum member
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2007, 13:51:32 »

Nah, it was disabled you could say

You can´t do it with the patch 1.1 you mean then ???

//Erik Halvorsen

bjhjaudi

• Forum member
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2007, 19:21:02 »

You can´t do it with the patch 1.1 you mean then ???

//Erik Halvorsen
No. I've tried it inmany ways, but still 4m.

You can edit the "Weatherpresets_EN.xml" found in
C:\Documents and Settings\(your user)\My Documents\ShipSim2008 UserData

As you can see in the picture i changed it to 50m, but in-game it's locked at 4m.

Edit* can't upload a picture of 60kb ???
"The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator."
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 19:23:31 by bjhjaudi »

annir

• Forum member
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2007, 21:00:03 »

Hello, How do I get rid of this 1.1 patch?

I bought this game after seeing the big waves on YouTube and now it seems this 1.1 thing won't let you do it :(

talfh

• Forum member
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2007, 22:48:17 »

you could remove 1.1 but it`s recomended to not mess with the settings...

mr_lizard

• Forum member
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2007, 04:31:36 »

I accept the fact that its not reccomended, however if you or anyone else knows how to go to 1.0 instead of using 1.1 could you please tell me.  Or, since a mod said before that the two files are essentially the same there was just an expression added in 1.1 so that the file couldn't be modified, could you please send me the old presets file.  I'd be willing to give you my email address or even a url to my ftp site to transfer the file there. 

mvsmith

« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2007, 15:19:54 »

You can remove the so-called 1.1 patch by un-installing the entire SS08, and then re-installing just Ship Simulator 2008. However, you would lose the many bug fixes and added features.
But, if your sole purpose in buying the sim is to see big, unrealistic, waves…

The purpose of the 1.1 upgrade (the word “patch” is a misnomer) was not simply to deprive you of big waves.
Also, remember that VSTEP does not officially support increasing the maximum wave height; you cannot expect technical help on any problems that might be caused by doing so.
Marty

ACR

• Forum member
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2007, 22:36:24 »

i think that vstep locked the waves at 4m and removed the option to set it to a higher value because they seem to have problems with modelling waves here at all currently. even big ships loose much speed in small waves (lets say 2m) ,the wave period and wave lenght is very short even on the atlantic ocean, they ships start to pitch an roll heavy on light seas etc etc. modelling higher waves completely seem to mess up ship dynamics, wave lenght and wave period. a ship like the veermaas or the with active stabilisators eqipped pride of rotterdam should never roll and pitch this in a 2 or 4m wave, surely the behaviour gets more worse with higher waves (lets say 8-10m)

a long 8 meter wave is nothing uncommon in the north atlantic and ships of the dimensions like the veermaas sail though it safely with the normal speed and the course they want to steer. in shipsim a 8 meter wave surely dramatically drops the speed of the ship and let it more than heavy work at such sea.

best regards

shipmate2008

• Forum member
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2007, 22:44:02 »

In addition to what ACR said.... Vsept havent yet managed to master wave cutting, this being where the wave will be interupted from this modulation and break around and over the ship, this is one of the problems with having waves higher than 4m.... but this isnt exactly an issue... from the continuing development im sure we will see more realistic physics put into play eventually  :)

i think its a bit harsh everyone jumping on someone because they edited a text file, it may have been wrong for him to post the modded code, but as to him "experimenting" im sure its not a punishable offence by hanging/flaming... Vstep wont gaurentee modded software because if they didnt do the "mod" themselves how do they know what your files look like.... nothing that a reinstall and/or backup copy wont fix!

anyway....

[/rant]

nick  :)

Captain Titanic

• Forum member
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2008, 23:25:47 »

Yeah... Hi Captain Titanic, the usual typical silly outcast.

It doesnt work.

For me.

This is what I did and found:
My <Preset id=""> was 0. (not 7) so I changed it to 1.
On to ship sim... 4 meter waves
Next, I went back and editied it again <Preset id=""> turned to 8
4.00 waves again.
edited the <Wave_Amplitude1 Type="Val"> 8 </Wave_Amplitude1> to "8" (as you can see) and the preset to 1
4.00 waves.

What do I do? I need help? or am I the usual old outcast again?

P.S I editied it on Notepad and clicked "SAVE" after i edited. I am version 1.3
administrator: www.shipsimulator.heavenforum.com

I like pie!

Captain Titanic

• Forum member
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2008, 23:35:50 »

And if it doesnt work on Version 1.1 what would Mr. Idontwantversiononepointone say?

lets say Mr. Idontwantversiononepointone would rather have larger waves rather then two new ships and the ability to sink the poor things. How does he get rid of the patch? he wants to go back to version 1.1 He didnt find out that you could make bigger waves before he downloaded and installed the patch you see.

I like pie!

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2008, 23:36:38 »

Hi Captain Titanic,

As you could have read in this very thread, this doesn't work anymore.
So you went and sacrificed your support rights and warranty for nothing I am afraid.

Regards,
Fred

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2008, 23:38:05 »

Well, Mr.sillynameIamnotgoingtotypeoutinfull could of course always uninstall everything and run the game as V1.0.  ;D

You weren't supposed to do that, but as usual, people find little loop-holes :).

We closed this particular loop-hole in 1.1.

Fred

Captain Titanic

• Forum member
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2008, 17:59:39 »

Well, Mr.sillynameIamnotgoingtotypeoutinfull could of course always uninstall everything and run the game as V1.0.  ;D

Fred

Hi Fred

Dont go makeing fun of Mr Idontwantversiononepointone! :D

I like pie!

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2008, 18:05:50 »

Hi Fred

Dont go makeing fun of Mr Idontwantversiononepointone! :D

Well that's what you get when you talk in the third person about yourself with a silly pseudonym...  :D

And I wasn't the one that ignored both a warning about the loss of warranty AND several remarks about the 'loop-hole' not working anymore in the first place.   ;)

Silly questions get silly answers..

Regards,
Fred
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines