Hello Guest May 01, 2024, 23:48:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: So, you want the perfect storm...?  (Read 78474 times)

Bonanza23d

• Forum member
Re: So, you want the perfect storm...?
« Reply #225 on: June 11, 2008, 23:32:39 »

i cant find my file

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #226 on: June 11, 2008, 23:34:56 »

Hiya Bonanza23d :)

You may want to take a look at this post:

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,982.msg81589.html#msg81589

Regards.

Carl.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #227 on: June 16, 2008, 07:52:09 »

Personally i think making the waves look big is silly, its unrealistic, it looks weird, and what does the game title say? "Ship Simulator 2008" not "Tsunami Simulator" i'm not tampering with my game any time soon, in fact your gaining far less by doing what you call "fun", you loose the realisim, you loose all support rights.

IRI5HJ4CK
Kind Regards,
Jack.

TerryRussell

« Reply #228 on: June 16, 2008, 08:50:05 »

Hi Jack.

Good point.

Tsunami Simulator? Hmmm... now there's a marketing opportunity for someone.

NOT!

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #229 on: June 16, 2008, 09:28:34 »

Hey Jack,

I have to agree/disagree here.

I agree that it can 'ruin the fun'

But I also agree with everyone else that 4m waves just aren't big enough. I would at least like 10m waves. Or we can just wait untill SS09/10 since I hear that rouge waves will be introduced.

Agent-

TerryRussell

« Reply #230 on: June 16, 2008, 15:28:55 »

Actually, the waves are quite realistic, in my experience. True, when you're in Vermaas, they look small. But that's true in real life. Vermaas is immense. The waves may be large but by comparison, they look small.

Somehow people tend loose perspective. When you're at the wheel of say Pioneer, in 4 metre waves, they look quite intimidating. Try doing that.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #231 on: June 16, 2008, 17:14:20 »

Actually, the waves are quite realistic, in my experience. True, when you're in Vermaas, they look small. But that's true in real life. Vermaas is immense. The waves may be large but by comparison, they look small.

Somehow people tend loose perspective. When you're at the wheel of say Pioneer, in 4 metre waves, they look quite intimidating. Try doing that.

Yes that is true. In my opinion the waves are big enough, but i understand people MAY want higher waves for the fun of it, but then thats taking the true simulation away.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

ACR

• Forum member
« Reply #232 on: June 16, 2008, 22:50:11 »

Yes that is true. In my opinion the waves are big enough, but i understand people MAY want higher waves for the fun of it, but then thats taking the true simulation away.

Jack.

it basicly pretty depends on the enviroment. in the solent waves more than 4 meters are rare, in the north atlantic every day business. nevertheless the waves in shipsim are very short and absolutely equal, what of course is completely unrealsitic. simply altering the waves like e.g in version 1.0 is absolutely not a solution, since a 10 meter wave is never such short.

the waves are all in all such bad that i personally simulate in open enviroments always good calm weather , thats the best what you actually can do.

TerryRussell

« Reply #233 on: June 16, 2008, 23:00:37 »

I've got to say that when I've been in Pioneer in Solent EC in Ship Sim 2008, it is very similar to when I go out in my real boat "Free Fallin'", which is at Chichester.

The waves feel just about right. Certainly not too short. You have to remember that the Solent is quite shallow, so the waves are short of course.

mvsmith

« Reply #234 on: June 17, 2008, 01:53:59 »

A sea that can set Vermaas & POR rollin’ aint all bad!

You need the right wind. Waves without wind are merely swell.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #235 on: June 17, 2008, 18:27:30 »

I've got to say that when I've been in Pioneer in Solent EC in Ship Sim 2008, it is very similar to when I go out in my real boat "Free Fallin'", which is at Chichester.

The waves feel just about right. Certainly not too short. You have to remember that the Solent is quite shallow, so the waves are short of course.

Nice boat Terry, this is my fathers:

Its a Colvic Watson.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

TerryRussell

« Reply #236 on: June 17, 2008, 19:42:52 »

That look "comfy" if you know what I mean. What speed does she do?

Petrol or diesel?

My "small" boat went back in the water today (had to fix the hydraulic ram on the outdrive leg). All being well, I shall take her out tomorrow. This is the fast one. 50-60 knots. But before we go out, I have three hundred quid of fuel to take on... (sob, sob)

I'm just going to charge the batteries on the video camera, and see if I can take the shots as we go into Portsmouth and around the Solent. If that all works OK, I'll post links on the Creators Forum.

Never made a video like this before so we'll see how well it works.

janevil89

• Forum member
« Reply #237 on: June 17, 2008, 23:23:14 »

Well... here it is then... I hope you can survive.

I was playing with the weather and I decided to put some random numbers at 5:40 AM, the period where I'm more of a "thinker" haha...

So, here it is just how powerful this thing is, and, an example on what you people can do for FUN :P
Oh, those wakes are just perfect, they dont float around like a certain sim I know, congratulations to the DEVS!

Oh remember, this is just random numbers I created to test if this works, so, here is the crude test for your enjoyment... hehe
Copy and paste this in ur weatherpresets.xml located in ur ss08 main folder, make the usual backup and just put before "</Weatherpresets>" and in <Preset id="7"> change the 7 to the next number available... (i dont know if it will work without any order, but if it doesnt, just do that :P)

PS: I hope this not a repeated topic

I Dosent work :( HELP!!!??

Quote altered so that it appears correctly, DJM.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 23:30:26 by [RWP]DJM »

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #238 on: June 17, 2008, 23:25:12 »

As posted at the top of this page:

Hiya Bonanza23d :)

You may want to take a look at this post:

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,982.msg81589.html#msg81589

Regards.

Carl.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #239 on: June 18, 2008, 07:37:26 »

That look "comfy" if you know what I mean. What speed does she do?

Petrol or diesel?

My "small" boat went back in the water today (had to fix the hydraulic ram on the outdrive leg). All being well, I shall take her out tomorrow. This is the fast one. 50-60 knots. But before we go out, I have three hundred quid of fuel to take on... (sob, sob)

I'm just going to charge the batteries on the video camera, and see if I can take the shots as we go into Portsmouth and around the Solent. If that all works OK, I'll post links on the Creators Forum.

Never made a video like this before so we'll see how well it works.

Hi Terry,

She's a lovely boat to sail, a very safe boat, she produces about 8 knots on a Saab inboard engine, she also runs on diseal. We hope to go to the Isle Of Man in her this year. ;D
Kind Regards,
Jack.

TerryRussell

« Reply #240 on: June 18, 2008, 09:06:04 »

Sounds good. Take some photos' won't you?

After all, the weather today is not pleasant. I just wandered up to the beach and there's quite a swell. I think that there is the possibility of a "perfect storm", so I won't be going out in it (no chance of re-booting if it goes wrong).

So, I'll go to work instead. Maybe Friday....

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #241 on: June 18, 2008, 16:40:29 »

Sounds good. Take some photos' won't you?

After all, the weather today is not pleasant. I just wandered up to the beach and there's quite a swell. I think that there is the possibility of a "perfect storm", so I won't be going out in it (no chance of re-booting if it goes wrong).

So, I'll go to work instead. Maybe Friday....

haha, i will take some photo's when we are casting off the mooring lines and also while out at sea, also when we approach land, then the harbour. And some of the coastline :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 16:42:56 by IRI5HJ4CK »
Kind Regards,
Jack.

TerryRussell

« Reply #242 on: June 18, 2008, 16:49:41 »

I look forward to seeing them. Let's hope that you don't get "the perfect storm", eh? Might be somewhat less than perfect then.

Where will you sail from?

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #243 on: June 18, 2008, 17:31:51 »

I look forward to seeing them. Let's hope that you don't get "the perfect storm", eh? Might be somewhat less than perfect then.

Where will you sail from?

Well, i am currently living in England so it will be the Port Of Fleetwood. We will be checking the weather before leaving the harbour, and also we will keep the radio on for weather reports, so hopefully we will be fine, its just the problem is she does 8 knots max, rough weather would reduce that, but i suppose because she is a safe boat she goes with the water and not against it. All colvics have a good reputation as safe boats, because of their hull design, they were originally designed for "scottish waters" as the water up North can be quite dangerous as far as i know.

But we always have to remember the sea is a dangerous place regardless of how fast or watertight your boat may be.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

mikaelkaka

• Forum member
« Reply #244 on: July 04, 2008, 10:52:30 »

Well... here it is then... I hope you can survive.

I was playing with the weather and I decided to put some random numbers at 5:40 AM, the period where I'm more of a "thinker" haha...

So, here it is just how powerful this thing is, and, an example on what you people can do for FUN :P
Oh, those wakes are just perfect, they dont float around like a certain sim I know, congratulations to the DEVS!

Oh remember, this is just random numbers I created to test if this works, so, here is the crude test for your enjoyment... hehe
Copy and paste this in ur weatherpresets.xml located in ur ss08 main folder, make the usual backup and just put before "</Weatherpresets>" and in <Preset id="7"> change the 7 to the next number available... (i dont know if it will work without any order, but if it doesnt, just do that :P)

PS: I hope this not a repeated topic

i dont know what i must copy!! what do i have to copy?? plz tell me ;D

mvsmith

« Reply #245 on: July 04, 2008, 13:14:53 »

That post you quoted is nearly a year old. Read the more recent posts on that topic.

Capt. Le Velle

• Forum member
« Reply #246 on: July 04, 2008, 15:17:20 »

It looks like the waves are monster huge

Pain is weakness leaving the body-Special Ops Instructors.
http://www.freewebs.com/shipsimusa/

TerryRussell

« Reply #247 on: July 04, 2008, 19:41:00 »

Hi Capt. Le Velle and mikaelkaka.

To summarise:

(1)
You can't modify the waves any more.

(2)
It was never worth oing anyway

(3)
If you mess with the files, you loose any access to Technical Support, because you are in breach of the terms of EULA.

mikaelkaka, please don't make pointless posts (quoting a previous message with nothing contributed by yourself) or restart old topics. I assume that you made a mistake as you haven't posted on the forum previously. You might find the following links useful:

The Help Page.  To assist you with forum posting, and the more advanced features on the forum -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php?action=help

The Forum Rules.  To help you make informed decisions regarding posting - http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,26.0.html

The Search function.  A very useful tool to help you find the answer to that elusive question -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php?action=search

The Tutorials board.  Check here for guides that cover common questions -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,35.0.html

The Technical Support board/s.  Got a problem with your game?  This is where you need to check first.

Ship Simulator 2006 Technical Support -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,9.0.html

Ship Simulator 2008 Technical Support -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,5.0.html

* Please note:  To access Technical Support, you will need to register your Ship Simulator licence key into your forum profile.  If you're not sure how to do this, please check the General FAQ's.

The FAQ's and Announcements board.  Check here for answers to commonly asked questions.  Also a useful source for the latest information regarding Ship Simulator development - http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,1.0.html

CARST

• Forum member
« Reply #248 on: July 10, 2008, 18:17:35 »

Give is that feature back! It doesn't matter if it is not supported by you folks here, we (i think i speak for a lot of people here) want the high waves again. And i am not interested to still play v1.0.

You really should learn how to treat your customers...

And it you don't want the people messing around with files in the Ship Sim folder make it an "not supported expert option" or something like that and let the people use 15 or 20m waves in single player. Think creative and user-friendly, otherwise future versions won't have customers...

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #249 on: July 10, 2008, 19:08:13 »

Give is that feature back! It doesn't matter if it is not supported by you folks here, we (i think i speak for a lot of people here) want the high waves again. And i am not interested to still play v1.0.

You really should learn how to treat your customers...

And it you don't want the people messing around with files in the Ship Sim folder make it an "not supported expert option" or something like that and let the people use 15 or 20m waves in single player. Think creative and user-friendly, otherwise future versions won't have customers...

They want to treat their customers while making problems to the game and the users computer? The waves ARE not function able with the game, the dynamics are impossible to create. Maybe you should get a life and make your own game.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines