Hello Guest September 01, 2024, 03:31:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Was This Game Checked Before Release - What A Waste Of Money!  (Read 32169 times)

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
Re: Was This Game Checked Before Release - What A Waste Of Money!
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2007, 10:25:02 »

Just something about that what happens if you dont have the net and cant patch up the bugs?

As I'm sure you are aware, patches are kind of a way of life now, development of software (games/utilities) is not perfect and bugs can occur in many different ways.  Example:

Online bugs are the most common in my opinion, Battlefield Series anyone? :P  It is my belief that a lot of bugs reveal themselves when different/non-standard specs are introduced.  Unfortunately, it's not possible for developers to check every PC configuration that is available.

Some of us like to setup our PC's with specific hardware that WE choose rather than off-the-shelf PC's, this again can reveal all sorts of problems that developers of ANY software can not possibly expect.......foresight is a wonderful thing, but most of us have to put up with hindsight ;).

Bugs can also appear because of certain hardware conflicts, this is heightened by the fact that some of us do have specific setups.

Bearing all this in mind, patches are inevitable.  If I didn't have an internet connection, I would ask a friend or family member to let me use their connection (which I have done in the past), not ideal I know, but at least it's an option ;)

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2007, 10:28:48 »

a little question about the features of the patches, will all these features placed in the next patch or will that be placed in other patches?  :)

Patch development, as with software development is ongoing.  The most important aspects will usually be dealt with first, then the other stuff.  This can mean that patching takes the form of more than 1 release.  this is the best way to do things in my opinion, take care of any bugs first, then 'load us up' with the extra's :D

Regards.

DJM.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

NiElS

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2007, 10:42:22 »

Just edit your last reply next time, it is better to read.  8)
If it sinks, you need to fix it ;)

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2007, 10:45:46 »

Just edit your last reply next time, it is better to read.  8)

Heh, been a long morning and I'm not getting any younger ;)

Regards.

DJM.

NiElS

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2007, 11:06:14 »

Well, it's okay  ;D Your the moderator  ;)

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2007, 11:08:13 »

Well, it's okay  ;D Your the moderator  ;)

We are human of course, pity really......ah well, maybe next year I will be the REAL Morpheus :P

ziggyc

• Forum member
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2007, 11:37:05 »

I downloaded this game 3days ago and love it.  ;D I've only done a few of the missions, as I've mostly been trying out the free roam side of things, but so far haven't noticed any problems. Lucky, I suppose.
I am still amazed that in this day and age, people still moan about bugs in their PC games. I personally accept the fact that games get released with bugs in them. There is a massive amount of work in a game so problems slip in. That's what patches are for, and at least the glitches are generally fixable. Take a game like Stalker, that was in development for something like 7 years. It had no sooner hit the shelves than they'd released a patch for it. And we won't start on EA and BF2.
The thing with most forums is that people use them to complain. You very rarely get people praising a game. If you decide not to buy a PC game because people on a forum have highlighted a few bugs, then you are going to save yourself a fortune, because you won't be buying too many PC games. Like I said, I love this game, and if I do come across any problems, I'll post them in the forums, where I'm sure they'll be looked at. Until then, I'll keep playing and enjoying the positives, while I wait for all the goodies due in the September update.

Maelmoor

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2007, 11:48:13 »

People shouldn't pay attention to croakers like MHP, there are always people who are unhappy at all times, the game is excellent and a few moaners will not spoil that  :)

NiElS

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2007, 12:20:10 »

Spoil it? It is just the truth. We are unhappy with some things, so we report them here.
Hopefully the developers can learn about the reported bugs.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2007, 13:09:14 »

People shouldn't pay attention to croakers like MHP, there are always people who are unhappy at all times, the game is excellent and a few moaners will not spoil that  :)

MPH have said his words about the game, and he find too many bugs (probably like coops find too many bugs in a society). ;D
MPH, if this game was a mistaken purchase for you then I recommend you to get your money back, and look for another game instead. I don’t like your method about convincing others to not buy the game. People decide themselves what they want to buy and we don’t need a police man for that. :P

It’s pretty unprofessional to read such comment like “arresting” those who make this game. Get your money back instead and go back to your job. :P
My last gentle advice. Maybe they should lock the topic now, or we all get arrested. ;)

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2007, 13:11:46 »

Spoil it? It is just the truth. We are unhappy with some things, so we report them here.
Hopefully the developers can learn about the reported bugs.
If they have time left after scrolling through all the problems that have been reported dozens of time... I guess it would help if people used the searchfunction and didn't make new topics for old bugs.

ps. MPH is no police officer, no police officer would reveal his employment on a public gameforum or threaten to 'arrest'. I know enough police officers to know MPH isn't one.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 13:13:26 by Wout »
Wout

NiElS

• Forum member
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2007, 13:17:16 »

MPH is no police officer, no police officer would reveal his employment on a public gameforum or threaten to 'arrest'. I know enough police officers to know MPH isn't one.

LoL about that Wout! I allready wanted to say such thing, but i was affraid getting warned again  :P

MHP

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2007, 17:42:46 »

...I don’t like your method about convincing others to not buy the game. People decide themselves what they want to buy ..

It is simply expressing my own opinion, just as you have done; I hope that it is alright for me to do so?

NiElS

• Forum member
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2007, 18:49:42 »

Yes ofcourse!  ;)

chuffchuff

• Forum member
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2007, 19:01:05 »

It is simply expressing my own opinion, just as you have done; I hope that it is alright for me to do so?

Absolutely I'm 100% with you. That's the point of an honest opinion. You, like me, have clearly tried many missions and options before coming to the same conclusion.

If you buy a brand new car you don't keep quiet if it starts ok but the boot (translation to US =  Trunk  ;D) won't open, it keeps stalling, the bodywork is scratched and the windscreen wipers don't work. Why then do we accept second best with software?

Yes, I agree, we have got used to bugs in software, it is a way of life.

That does not mean it's right.

What's more you have to put the level of bugs into comparison with other similar software.

If you are just talking about a couple of minor niggles I can live with that.

But it is far from that. Try EVERY mission and see for yourself.

Don't get me wrong underneath the bonnet (= hood  ;D) there is a fine engine.

There is a lot of scope for Ship Sim to really rock your boat and I look foward to a time when it can cope with for example a Dover/Calais ferry or hovercraft round trip crossing the busy English channel shipping lanes without having to pause for a mid-sea-load and at the same time enjoying a realistic audio with truly dynamic weather changes. How about random events such as an engine problem requiring a return to port or a sudden strike at the destination port requiring a diversion to the next port? Sure sailing round Alcatraz is a start but scope is limited at the moment.

Whilst open sea missions are possible in SS2008 the developers seem to have thought that users won't want to sail the whole journey. To me that thought is wrong (or at least ought to be an option). As long as event's in a mission can be interesting with plenty to see along the coastline, shipping, dynamic weather changes and changing sea conditions (wouldn't mind seeing the odd aircraft too) I don't mind several hours sailing as long as you can save the simulation along the way.

I don't get bored flying long haul in FSX, in fact I quite fancy a round-the-world virtual cruise.

I don't think we are too far adrift from that and I hope that eventually (SS2010 ??) The developers may have similar vision too.

I hope so - I love transport sims.

Dave :)

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2007, 19:25:50 »

If I can just offer a little personal opinion here:

Ship Simulator was first released in 2006, a great deal of the features we asked for have been included, or are being developed as we type ;)

Look at it this way, Vstep are keeping us fully informed of the situation and are working hard to correct the problems that we are experiencing, how many other developers do that?  In my experience, not many and never to the extent that Vstep have kept us updated :)

Any bugs will be corrected, I have no doubt about that at all ;)

Just my own personal opinion on this situation ;)

Regards.

DJM.

Yup. vstep ALWAYS keep to their word and that's good. Yes games always have bugs but hey, we just put up with it until they're put right.

Shipaddict

MHP

• Forum member

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2007, 01:26:56 »

Hmm,
Im suprised that a Mod or Game developer hasn't closed this thread so that people will be convinced not to buy the game  ???
You've convinced me not to buy the game now.

Hi Matt
Closing the thread would not help, would it? Constructive criticism is always a good thing- provided we do it in a polite, restrained way- and most people are really.

Some of these posts will have you believing that every feature of every mission is bugged- it isn't. I've just tried the PoR departure from Rotterdam SIX times (better timescore each time :) ) and I haven't encountered a single bug on that mission. Yes, like others I've seen bugs elsewhere but it is hardly destroying my enjoyment of the game. Most of the bugs are little quirky bits- OK the container ship sinking in the background is odd, but hardly stopping you using it until the patch.

If you have decided to not buy because of the posts in this thread, have you looked at some of the other threads that are positive? I would :)

Stu
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 01:28:55 by Stuart2007 »
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

NiElS

• Forum member
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2007, 10:15:03 »

When i'm sailing in the Rotterdam Harbor, and i see boats like the Pilot boat and the RPA 12 sailing there, when i look long enough, they just sink. Going beneath the surface, and you see some splashing water continuing its route. I know i've said this many times before, but i think it's odd that there are still people here saying they don't see these bugs.  ???

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2007, 11:33:12 »

When i'm sailing in the Rotterdam Harbor, and i see boats like the Pilot boat and the RPA 12 sailing there, when i look long enough, they just sink. Going beneath the surface, and you see some splashing water continuing its route. I know i've said this many times before, but i think it's odd that there are still people here saying they don't see these bugs.  ???
Maybe because it doesn't happen on all computers? I play the game too, and I have never, ever seen that bug.
Wout

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2007, 11:37:48 »

Flying tug :(

BigBravo21

• Forum member
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2007, 13:00:19 »

Sure it's got some bugs in it and this has already begun to affect my enjoyment, but I'm sure they will be fixed soon. I'm pleased I was able to get it as soon as possible.

NiElS

• Forum member
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2007, 13:33:28 »

Flying tug :(

There you got one of my bugs

alazose

• Forum member
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2007, 18:48:51 »

Per Official Announcement:  All bugs will be fixed and all promised game features will be provided - all free and all before the end of the year, starting in August.  I think I can live with that.

stopwatch

• Forum member
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2007, 20:46:44 »

Regarding DJM's 'Patches are a way of life'.  To my knowledge they are not in the console platform area where downloaded patches are virtually impossible.  So if they can get it right why not for PC games or is it that as usual we are the guinea pigs for everybody.

Yes I have both 06' and the add-on and agree with most people that the missions here are very easy and short....and what as happened to the online scores .... although I rarely hit the top 50 I liked to check to see how far away I was and curse at the people who had ridiculous times.  It was part of the fun.

Stopwatch
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines