Hello Guest September 01, 2024, 01:12:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Was This Game Checked Before Release - What A Waste Of Money!  (Read 32168 times)

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
Re: Was This Game Checked Before Release - What A Waste Of Money!
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 18:43:41 »

Exactly as the title suggests; what a rip off this game is.  I downloaded it 2 days ago and already I have found more bugs in it than in an established ant farm!

Here are a few I have found;

1. On Pilot Needed (Solent) misson; I reach the first waypoint, get transferred to the next environment, and the pilot boat I am steering starts spinning round making it impossible to control.

2. The P&O ferry mission from San Fransisco to Phi Phi Islands:  Reach the first waypoint beneath the Golden Gate Bridge, transferred to the Phi Phi environment, and the ferry immediately sinks.

3. Rotterdam-Hull Mission: I was sailing up the port when a supertanker passing me just suddenly stood on its nose and sank.

4. Same mission: Twice in a row when I statted the mission the ferry immediately sank.  I had to close down the game altogether and restart it again for it to be fixed.

5. Same mission as above (again) :  I came to the end of the environment and had a window pop up asking me to choose another destination.  I hovered my mouse over the white circles indicating other environments, and sure enough a little description pops up in the window.  However, when I move the mouse away to click on OK, the description of the environment disappears from the window and I am unable to click on go.  I was unable to click on any environment, and had to abandon the game.

I notice on the webpage it gives a list of upcoming functions in the expected update patch, functions such as saving halfway through a mission.  Surely this should have been included in the first release game? 

It strikes me that this game was release before it was completed, and certainly appears that nobody tested it before releasing it.  This game is a joke!  If anybody is considering getting it then STOP!  Spend your money on something else - anything else, just not this poor excuse for an unfinished game!!  >:(
Sorry I have to wonder you bought it 2 days ago the forums been reporting bugs
since day 1 so maybe u did not read them
I Know about the bug it did not stop me buying it.
WHEN VSTEP release the patches &Addon they will be the best thing since sliced bread
                                                                                                       :( :P

MHP

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 18:45:44 »

Sorry I have to wonder you bought it 2 days ago the forums been reporting bugs
since day 1 so maybe u did not read them
I Know about the bug it did not stop me buying it.
WHEN VSTEP release the patches &Addon they will be the best thing since sliced bread
                                                                                                       :( :P

No, unfortunately I did not see the forum until after I had purchased the game.  I have to agree that if it were not for the bugs it would be a great game, though I do find the missions way too short, especially the large ferry missions  :-[

MHP

• Forum member

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 18:51:42 »

It strikes me that this game was release before it was completed, and certainly appears that nobody tested it before releasing it.  This game is a joke!  If anybody is considering getting it then STOP!  Spend your money on something else - anything else, just not this poor excuse for an unfinished game!!  >:(

A. Second version. Shipsim hasn't been around for two whole years yet.
B. I think that telling people to stop isn't because some people probably think it's a good game. I do ;)

Regards,
Shipaddict

clive bradbury

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 18:57:11 »

Exactly as the title suggests; what a rip off this game is.  I downloaded it 2 days ago and already I have found more bugs in it than in an established ant farm!

2. The P&O ferry mission from San Fransisco to Phi Phi Islands:  Reach the first waypoint beneath the Golden Gate Bridge, transferred to the Phi Phi environment, and the ferry immediately sinks.

Once again, works fine on my system. Maybe a re-install would help?

NiElS

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2007, 19:07:02 »

Maybe  :-\
Because i have this problem too. I will!
If it sinks, you need to fix it ;)

screvenant2005

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2007, 19:07:29 »

They need firing then!  :o

:o well i suppose all new proggrams have problems i mean look at windows vista

but it would be ok for a glitch here and there but there is too many at the moment on shipsim 2008
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 19:13:12 by screvenant2005 »

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 19:17:50 »

Maybe  :-\
Because i have this problem too. I will!
Re-installing won't help. It is a known bug in the software, which will be solved with the next patch.
Wout

NiElS

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2007, 19:58:52 »

No worries  ;D
If it sinks, you need to fix it ;)

audreyhepburn666

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2007, 21:06:40 »

Just received my copy of Ship Simulator 2008 and logged in to the forum to see what eveyone else thought.

I have felt that some of the features such as saving mid activity should be in the game. This is a feature of Microsoft's simulators and I felt that this should have been detected in the 2006 version where saving would have been good.

Also enjoyed the 206 version and add on but what happened to the cruise liner in 2008. If you are going to have ships in the solent isn't a cruise ship paramount and that would have made  a really good activity. Maybe the creators should think about adding a cruise liner and maybe a realistic one like Queen Mary 2 would be good. Imagine an open sea mission from Southampton to New York with saving ability - it would be like flight simulator.

Also with the 2006 addon you had audio on the bridge (ok it may have been a repetitive) but it made it more realistic. Soemthing else which an add on could include, also if it could be more specific to the harbour you are in so that it is not the same audio in Pompey as it is in San Francisco.

I was really looking forward to this add on and I feel that some parts of the game have been a let down.

Hopefully a patch to incorporate saving isn't too far off as is a add on pack bring some of the above elements in where possible.

Fireburn

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 21:35:22 »

The saving thing will be released in a patch, somewhere in August/September, if you look at the main page ( www.shipsim.com ) and click on gameplay you will see things which will be released with patches.

chuffchuff

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 22:33:44 »

1. On Pilot Needed (Solent) misson; I reach the first waypoint, get transferred to the next environment, and the pilot boat I am steering starts spinning round making it impossible to control.

3. Rotterdam-Hull Mission: I was sailing up the port when a supertanker passing me just suddenly stood on its nose and sank.

4. Same mission: Twice in a row when I statted the mission the ferry immediately sank.  I had to close down the game altogether and restart it again for it to be fixed.

5. Same mission as above (again) :  I came to the end of the environment and had a window pop up asking me to choose another destination.  I hovered my mouse over the white circles indicating other environments, and sure enough a little description pops up in the window.  However, when I move the mouse away to click on OK, the description of the environment disappears from the window and I am unable to click on go.  I was unable to click on any environment, and had to abandon the game.

I notice on the webpage it gives a list of upcoming functions in the expected update patch, functions such as saving halfway through a mission.  Surely this should have been included in the first release game? 

Great  post.

There is no excuse for these errors all of which I can verify.

Missions make up the majority of the gameplay. For so many to have such glaring flaws is utterly inexcusable.

I can't even select custom missions.

I'm a transport sim Beta Tester myself (fortunately not of this). I cannot understand how this got through not only the "outside" volunteer testers but also internal Beta testers.

I can only assume that cash generation was urgently needed and release was therefore rushed way before it should have been.
Ship Sim 2006 was a far more stable product even before patches (or the add-on).

Like another member I also cannot understand the omission of the bridge audio it did add a touch of realism.

I can't understand why the scrolling in/out of mouse for internal/external view was changed? I liked this

Yes there have been some graphical improvements in 2008 but in some ways even if everything was working perfectly in this release there still seems something "missing" I can't quite put my finger on it.

But I don't even agree that graphically everything is better. Externally ships are very nice. But take the walkaround option. It's so bland I don't really see the point. Hardly a good ad for P&O that nobody wan't to ride on their ship. However perhaps they all fell through that hole on the lower deck near the lifeboats??!!

Sticking on graphics in mission 1 look at the deck of the boat you are rescuing the guy from. It's appalling and I have a high spec PC. I haven't seen creations this bad on a PC since the days of a 386/486.

Yes you can change wave height but it still seems that something is amiss when it is exactly the same wave type (rolling) just bigger.

Crane loading - what is the point? Wouldn't the time spent on creating such a mundane task been better spent elsewhere. But even that doesn't work 2 of my 4 containers just plunged straight through the cargo vessell making yet another mission unusable.

Who the heck tested these missions and passed them for the release candidate? Small errors in 1 or 2 may be excusable but this is a mess. I paid £24.99 for this and I feel ripped off - I feel sorry for those who paid £34.99

The marketing email was interesting though with the promise of great things being added in the patch later this year - completely free of course. Reading behind the lines I read "look you're not going to like this product but we're taking your money now so we can make it worth owning later on."

I'm a big console fan too and if games developers want PC owners to stop defecting to consoles they have got to do better than this - much better.

Dave

Maelmoor

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 22:40:59 »

There are bugs in all games, get used to it, enjoy the summer and relax, its a damn good game and the patch will fix the minor problems in the game.

MHP

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2007, 22:42:59 »

There are bugs in all games, get used to it, enjoy the summer and relax, its a damn good game and the patch will fix the minor problems in the game.

Minor problems!  I call them pretty major myself.  Yes the patch may fix the issues, but the issues should have been fixed prior to its release.  i cannot accept that bugs like these were not noted prior to release.  I will enjoy the summer - by uninstalling this game and seeing what I can do to get my money back.

redbeard

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2007, 23:04:05 »

As all sailors here are pointing out, I do notice a lot of bugs in SS08. Mutch more than in other games / simulators. A finished product or not, I am still very happy for it to be releesed. I have been waithing for this kind of simulator for a long time and I hope that addon developers will make addons and models as in FSX and FS2004...
I hope that the patch wil come as soon as posible, and then this simulator will "shine".

(pleace excuse my english. its not perfect)  ;)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2007, 23:08:30 »

One thing on a positive note. After a bit of a tutorial from a real world ships officer, I've tried the dynamics of PoR and it worked exactly as I'm told it should.

Yes, there are bugs. This is something new, but for every bad point you find, you could find 10 good points. The fact that the basic dynamics are sorted now is a pretty big step, I think.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2007, 23:17:58 »

If I can just offer a little personal opinion here:

Ship Simulator was first released in 2006, a great deal of the features we asked for have been included, or are being developed as we type ;)

Development of any game is a long and difficult process, bugs don't always reveal themselves in the development stage.

Look at it this way, Vstep are keeping us fully informed of the situation and are working hard to correct the problems that we are experiencing, how many other developers do that?  In my experience, not many and never to the extent that Vstep have kept us updated :)

I know what you may be thinking, he's a Moderator, he's obviously going to say that.  I am also an avid Ship Simulator gamer and I believe in recognition for a great piece of software.

Any bugs will be corrected, I have no doubt about that at all ;)

To add a little perspective on this subject, check out a game I bought in December 2006:

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3251042/Star-Trek-Legacy/Product.html

The reviews say it all, of which one of these reviews is mine - DJMorpheus2007 -

Just my own personal opinion on this situation ;)

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2007, 23:22:59 »

well, I also buy some rail simulator stuff now and then. If you want to know about developers releasing half done software and then abandoning customers, you won't need to look too hard.

Echoing DJM- if I may, Vstep have made enormous strides in this software... I think they deserve a little faith personally.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

redbeard

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2007, 00:06:52 »

I would also like to ad: SS08 is a really complex simulator. And i think the developers has done a great job in making SS08, in that short time. I have tried SS06, -08 is a huge step forward to perfection.

....and I have great faith in that all bugs will be fixed.  ;)

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2007, 02:25:49 »

VSTEP had a set release date and coudn't delay, so they decided to add some features later as patches, like sinking, saving, the mission creator, and more. KM

drakonwulf

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2007, 03:08:43 »

I've been enjoying SS2008 since saturday(when my cd box arrived) and I'm not disappointed, not even a little bit, I own both SS2006 and the Addon expansion pack, and this one is excellent, of course, there are bugs, but not a show stopper, I noticed a couple of cranes in merseilles (in the repair stuff mission, in the first mooring bit)that has not been textured, but nothing that will stop my enjoyment.

I have been playing with SS2008 non-stop, I wish I had the save function for longer missions, but no problem, and I wish the water spray had a bit more volume, but then again...not a problem!

I'm very happy with SS2008 and VSTEP has "failed again" in "disappointing me" hehehehe  ;D

in other words, SS2008 is in every bit as i expected and more.

Thanks VSTEP for the great work!

matt105

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2007, 08:13:50 »

Hmm,

Im suprised that a Mod or Game developer hasn't closed this thread so that people will be convinced not to buy the game  ???

You've convinced me not to buy the game now.

Cheers, Matt

matt105

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2007, 08:16:24 »

If I can just offer a little personal opinion here:

Ship Simulator was first released in 2006, a great deal of the features we asked for have been included, or are being developed as we type ;)

Development of any game is a long and difficult process, bugs don't always reveal themselves in the development stage.

Look at it this way, Vstep are keeping us fully informed of the situation and are working hard to correct the problems that we are experiencing, how many other developers do that?  In my experience, not many and never to the extent that Vstep have kept us updated :)

I know what you may be thinking, he's a Moderator, he's obviously going to say that.  I am also an avid Ship Simulator gamer and I believe in recognition for a great piece of software.

Any bugs will be corrected, I have no doubt about that at all ;)

To add a little perspective on this subject, check out a game I bought in December 2006:

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3251042/Star-Trek-Legacy/Product.html

The reviews say it all, of which one of these reviews is mine - DJMorpheus2007 -

Just my own personal opinion on this situation ;)

Regards.

DJM.

Just something about that what happens if you dont have the net and cant patch up the bugs?

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2007, 08:35:58 »

I'm a little dissapointed, yes the graphics and ships detail are very good but the areas you sail in should be bigger, yes they are very detailed but at least you should have been able to go around the Isle of wight surely.

No tides or currents thats like having a flight sim without runways, I mean thats one of the most challenging aspects of ship handling but it's not here.

Ship handling and controls are another one of my dislikes, these could be much better I'm unhappy with the red Eagle and Red Jet 4 and the tugs (all right nearly all of the ships then) they don't simulate anything close to handling or control wise, some of the controls may look similar but operate in a completely different way so it makes it a game and not a simulator in my opinion.

I am going to reserve myself until the patch/addon etc are released but they better fix alot of these problems as I could get very bored with this game! very quickly.
[img width=585 height=150http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9431/panddax5.png]

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2007, 08:37:32 »

a little question about the features of the patches, will all these features placed in the next patch or will that be placed in other patches?  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines