Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 05:25:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Was This Game Checked Before Release - What A Waste Of Money!  (Read 32190 times)

MHP

• Forum member
Re: Was This Game Checked Before Release - What A Waste Of Money!
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2007, 16:49:26 »

..And if your to "Dumb" to know what jurisdiction means...The right and power to apply the law; the territorial range of legal authority or control.

Yes, I know what jurisdiction is - I am a police officer, so I should hope I do know it's meaning.  The comment about me arresting them was tongue-in-cheek (i.e. a joke), hence the grin icon next to it. 

davelacey

• Forum member
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2007, 17:15:12 »

And it is fun playing with bugs and trying to find them all.
Perhaps you should consider studying entomology......

And if your to "Dumb" to know what jurisdiction means...
Perhaps you should consider studying etymology......

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2007, 17:27:20 »

Get a grip, Guys.    ::)
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2007, 19:08:11 »

I don't think we need to turn this topic of conversation into a 'Let's have a go at each other' scenario, wouldn't you agree :)

Please respect each others opinions and let's not make this personal eh ;)

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

mattch49

« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2007, 21:16:49 »

Perhaps you should consider studying entomology......

Perhaps you should consider studying etymology......

Dave's my hero!

Parsec

• Forum member
« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2007, 10:56:41 »

I bought the download version of SS 2008 a couple of days ago (I also own SS 2006), and first of all, I'd like to say that the game is really entertaining and fun. However, I too have found it littered with bugs, to the point where I'm wondering if the game has been betatested at all. Also, the 3D performance of the game is rather poor, despite using a video card with an nVidia 7900 GT chip and 512 MB RAM I only get about 22-23 fps at 1024x768, without anti-aliasing turned on! Certain events in the game (such as passing close to another ferry) nearly halt the graphics completely.

Anyway, if the developers need betatesters, I'll be more than happy to participate. I also have a feature request, and that is to add support for anti-aliasing directly in graphic settings of the game.

sotonvts

• Forum member
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2007, 11:04:46 »

Somebody mentioned in this thread about custom missions. Mine are blank??? whats the score with this, is a patch going to resolve this issue?.

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2007, 12:27:23 »

I guess custom missions are your own created missions, you can't do that until the mission editor is released. So we all got it blank there..

Hey Parsec, your graphic issues is not a game problem, the problem is your system. You need more ram mister, at least 1GB. I got a Geforce 6800, older than yours, same resolution and AA on. But I also got 2GB of ram and there are no graphic problems. When it comes to AA, you got a nVidia, using your videocard settings usually gives a lot better results then any game settings.

But I agree that the developers could have done a better job when it comes to betatesting, but they have promised several patches. Hopefully we will see the game in top shape within a few months.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2007, 12:35:02 »

Somebody mentioned in this thread about custom missions. Mine are blank??? whats the score with this, is a patch going to resolve this issue?.

Custom Missions are available to download here, when the Mission Editor is released, you will be able to create your own ;)

You will need to enter your licence key to access this area :)

Regards.

DJM.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Parsec

• Forum member
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2007, 12:39:11 »

Hey Parsec, your graphic issues is not a game problem, the problem is your system. You need more ram mister, at least 1GB. I got a Geforce 6800, older than yours, same resolution and AA on. But I also got 2GB of ram and there are no graphic problems. When it comes to AA, you got a nVidia, using your videocard settings usually gives a lot better results then any game settings.

My computer has 1 GB RAM, it is my video card that has 512 MB RAM...  ;)

Also, my CPU is a P4 running at 3.2 GHz, and I can run games like Call of Duty 2 and Company of Heroes flawlessly and smooth. The problem with (PC) games is that every developer program their 3D in different ways, yielding different performance. So I guess that's something we have to live with.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2007, 12:43:57 »

Also, my CPU is a P4 running at 3.2 GHz, and I can run games like Call of Duty 2 and Company of Heroes flawlessly and smooth. The problem with (PC) games is that every developer program their 3D in different ways, yielding different performance. So I guess that's something we have to live with.

This seems like a Technical issue, however, we cannot answer Technical questions here.  If you need Technical support, please enter your licence key into your forum profile and you will then have access to the Technical Support area.

Most of these problems have already been resolved ;)

If you're not sure how to enter your licence key, please check the FAQ's or PM a Moderator :)

Regards.

DJM.

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2007, 12:49:51 »

I see, was easy to misunderstand you there. Well then you should have enough power..

lx585x

• Forum member
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2007, 13:04:34 »

jezz guys its always like this with new games there are problems but u gotta admit this version is far better than last one so u can expect the next one to be better ( i hope ) and second of all if the game has mistakes there are patches to come which will fix most of those problems and for the requirements well depends of the engine for the game 3D programs and stuff some games have great graphicks but run slow some run fast and i think ship sim 2008 runs decently well for its evniroment but there will be fixeses in the game speed and it doesn't always matter what PC specs u have u can have the best graphic cards and stuff but problems usualy accure when the disk is full or if you just pack it with folders with lots of small stuff in it on different places so try defragmenting it and use disk cleanup somethimes well that's my opinion  ;)

Parsec

• Forum member
« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2007, 13:19:52 »

jezz guys its always like this with new games there are problems but u gotta admit this version is far better than last one so u can expect the next one to be better ( i hope ) and second of all if the game has mistakes there are patches to come which will fix most of those problems and for the requirements well depends of the engine for the game 3D programs and stuff some games have great graphicks but run slow some run fast and i think ship sim 2008 runs decently well for its evniroment but there will be fixeses in the game speed and it doesn't always matter what PC specs u have u can have the best graphic cards and stuff but problems usualy accure when the disk is full or if you just pack it with folders with lots of small stuff in it on different places so try defragmenting it and use disk cleanup somethimes well that's my opinion  ;)

My HDD has about 50 GB of free space... is that enough for you?  ;)

Also, please keep in mind that not all of us are newbies here. I've owned PCs since 1988, so rest assured that I know what defragmenting and disk clean-up mean for performance.

We can agree on one thing, though, SS 2008 is a fantastic game with lots of potential, so let's be patient and wait for the upcoming updates/patches...  ;D

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2007, 13:36:08 »

I have to say out of the 56 missions avialable there are
only 6 that i cannot do because of bugs to me Vstep are
the best thing since slice bread was invented and give me
hours of pleasure BUGS or no Bugs i hope they make millions
so they can hir more programers and give us more of what we
all like ::)people asked for more missions theBeta testers listened
and thanks to them  :-* I can quite happlly wait for patches
because there is enough play in the game while waiting.
and yes i like everyone else want more.
V.STEP FORE EVER  ;D 
OOPS looks like sherpa needs fire hoses as well as stern thruster
guess it will come in a PATCH.

lx585x

• Forum member
« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2007, 14:28:59 »

My HDD has about 50 GB of free space... is that enough for you?  ;)

Also, please keep in mind that not all of us are newbies here. I've owned PCs since 1988, so rest assured that I know what defragmenting and disk clean-up mean for performance.

We can agree on one thing, though, SS 2008 is a fantastic game with lots of potential, so let's be patient and wait for the upcoming updates/patches...  ;D

Hmm well 50 GB is good but that's not the point u can have only like 15 GB of it full and it works so damn slow u can't even run anything even if u have great PC spec's...i got a 350GB and is full like 150 GB maybe and it works very very slow since i just put stuff on everywhere and i have another one which is smaller but runs faster since i keep it clean and yes u are right some aren't newbies in this stuff i had that in mind no offense anyone  ;)

thassos

• Forum member
« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2007, 01:53:35 »

I have to confess to not having read all the items in this thread - it got a bit tedious - so forgive me if this has already been stated.

Almost all program and system developers launch the product before it is fully tested and let the users act as testers.   Imagine a department with a dozen or so testers and think how long it would take to fully test for all the bugs.  In launching the product before all the bugs have been ironed out the the product has thousands of testers.

The alternative is to have a very long wait for the product.  I for one am happy with the sim and am quite prepared to put up with the bugs as long as Vstep iron out the bugs when reported.  And please remember guys - a polite reporting of a bug is more likely to be be acted upon than bitching and moaning reports.  So come on, guys, let's at least pretend we are all gentlemen (or women)
The right to speak does not include the right to be taken seriously.

Creator on Creators Forum

captseaton

« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2007, 08:45:29 »

Also enjoyed the 206 version and add on but what happened to the cruise liner in 2008. If you are going to have ships in the solent isn't a cruise ship paramount and that would have made  a really good activity. Maybe the creators should think about adding a cruise liner and maybe a realistic one like Queen Mary 2 would be good.

Last I checked, Titanic was a transatlantic ocean liner. You can run her all you want from Southampton to New York. That run in real time would take roughly 6 days, at which point your graphics card would probably melt. Soooo, they shortened it a little.  ???

The cruise liner in SS 2006 was a part of an add on pack, they might release an add on pack for SS 2008, in...2008.

I had to speak with a VP at Cunard to get permission to use a picture of QM2 in a brochure. Imagine the hoops you would have to jump through to build a 3D simulation model. QM2 also has triple bow thrusters, 2 azipods, and 2 standard pods for propulsion. I'm sure the developers don't want to try to tackle the physics of programming something that complicated.

mvsmith

« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2007, 19:55:49 »

Also enjoyed the 206 version and add on but what happened to the cruise liner in 2008. If you are going to have ships in the solent isn't a cruise ship paramount and that would have made  a really good activity. Maybe the creators should think about adding a cruise liner and maybe a realistic one like Queen Mary 2 would be good.

Cruise Ships are very important to this sim…as something for tugs to assist. :)

greyhill

• Forum member
« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2007, 20:02:00 »

cruise ships are for Spambot, what ship sim really needs is real mens ships like bulk carriers, coasters and inland barges, the work horses of the sea  :D

i think i might need a good hard hat to repel the beating that i think i am about to get  :D ::) :-\ :'(
ships used to be made of wood, and sailed by men of steel, now the ships are made of steel, and the men of wood.

alazose

• Forum member
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2007, 15:04:31 »

Cruise ships are fun, elegant, and visually appealing.  They add an element of class to the game.  'Twill be a grand day indeed when the ship add-on becomes available.

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2007, 14:58:08 »

Here Here!
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2007, 16:15:39 »

Yes, I think, until we can do more with the ships in and out of port aswell as actually sail them, then visual appeal will take priority.

neosin

• Forum member
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2007, 00:49:38 »

THIS IS A GREAT GAME, and WILL ONLY BECOME BETTER!

HA!  ;D ;D ;D

Pilot of the Sea

• Forum member
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2007, 17:36:34 »

2. The P&O ferry mission from San Fransisco to Phi Phi Islands:  Reach the first waypoint beneath the Golden Gate Bridge, transferred to the Phi Phi environment, and the ferry immediately sinks.

4. Same mission: Twice in a row when I statted the mission the ferry immediately sank.  I had to close down the game altogether and restart it again for it to be fixed.

I have never noticed this...
Pilot of the Sea :)

www.getfirefox.com
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines