Hello Guest July 27, 2024, 01:28:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: stern thrusters question  (Read 30023 times)

maritiem

• Forum member
stern thrusters question
« on: July 11, 2008, 11:19:22 »

hi

i was wondering why are there no stern thrusters on the vermaas, ocean star and all those other big ships
and the sherpa do have them?
it's very difficult for me too steer those huge ships into the harbour without hitting something.

kind regards maritiem  :)

People can almost do anything, The only thing they can't is forgive each other.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
Re: stern thrusters question
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 11:39:18 »

A big container ship like "Vermaas" would not have stern a thruster in reality, so she is correct in the way she is shown on Ship Simulator. The "Ocean Star" has two azipod drives at the stern which if rotated to 90 degrees or 270 degrees act as if they were a stern thruster, so she does not need an ordinary thruster at the stern. The VLCC "Latitude" would never be in a position to need one so she too is correctly modelled. Any manoeuvering she needed would be with the aid of tugs. Does that clear up the matter for you? "Fairmount Sherpa" is specially built to enable her to be held on station in a fixed position whilst serving oilrigs in heavy weather so she needs to be very manoeuverable that is why she is fitted out the way she is.

Angus.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 11:42:33 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

maritiem

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 11:51:26 »

yes it's clear but i still think its a bit difficult  ;D

maritiem

People can almost do anything, The only thing they can't is forgive each other.

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 12:02:34 »

That's one of the joys of this game, learning about how different types of vessels are maneuvered with varying propulsion units in varying conditions. Good luck and enjoy the ride!!

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 12:19:10 »

Hello maritiem,

Handling big ships in reality is not easy either. Part of the pleasure to be had from the simulator is learning how to do things that are not easy. Do not give up, keep trying and you will get better with each try.

Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 12:57:55 »

I really love the somewhat difficult manoeuvring! Imagine additional influence by means of a tidal stream or gale force weather. Than you may see how difficult it is to handle such a huge vessel!  ;D
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 17:41:13 »

A big container ship like "Vermaas" would not have stern a thruster in reality, so she is correct in the way she is shown on Ship Simulator. The "Ocean Star" has two azipod drives at the stern which if rotated to 90 degrees or 270 degrees act as if they were a stern thruster, so she does not need an ordinary thruster at the stern. The VLCC "Latitude" would never be in a position to need one so she too is correctly modelled. Any manoeuvering she needed would be with the aid of tugs. Does that clear up the matter for you? "Fairmount Sherpa" is specially built to enable her to be held on station in a fixed position whilst serving oilrigs in heavy weather so she needs to be very manoeuverable that is why she is fitted out the way she is.

Angus.

Why would vermaas never have a bow thruster? Same question goes with latitude.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 17:51:49 »

Because they have TUGS that assist them in those manoeuvrings.

I really love the somewhat difficult maneuvering! Imagine additional influence by means of a tidal stream or gale force weather. Than you may see how difficult it is to handle such a huge vessel!  ;D

Tell me about it, a storm was coming in and I was trying to get my uncles boat onto the lift, took my three trys, the boat was going diagonal, had to line it up just right or else you would hit the dock and have to hit full reverse, and if you threw a line to the dock your stern just swung around and hit the dock, good thing I had my training wheels on (bumpers)

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 17:53:45 »

Well not in multiplayer ;D. You cant always expect a tug to be there you know.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 17:59:41 »

Well not in multiplayer ;D. You cant always expect a tug to be there you know.
Yes but this is a part of the realism, usually if a vessel that size is coming in a tug will be ready to assist.

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 18:05:58 »

Yes but couldent they add a stern thruster just to make the manuvering easier?

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 18:08:49 »

Yes but couldn't they add a stern thruster just to make the maneuvering easier?
Because it is un realistic, and they want you to have a challenge, not just to be able to slide in with no tugs.

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 18:13:51 »

I like to have challenges, just when they don't make you crash into the dock ;D.

Besides, it would be safer :).

(I take safety way too seriously :P)

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 18:14:56 »

I like to have challenges, just when they don't make you crash into the dock ;D.

Besides, it would be safer :).

(I take safety way too seriously :P)

If you like safety, use tugs. :P

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 18:28:26 »

Perhaps I should ;D. Although, there is always a way to make something safer ;).

mvsmith

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 19:58:06 »

Angus never said Vernaas had no bow thruster. You should read posts carefully before questioning them.
It is silly, and a bit arrogant, to expect VSTEP to stick thrusters on any vessel you lack the skill to handle in its normal configuration.

Marty

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 20:06:16 »

Angus never said Vernaas had no bow thruster. You should read posts carefully before questioning them.
It is silly, and a bit arrogant, to expect VSTEP to stick thrusters on any vessel you lack the skill to handle in its normal configuration.

Marty

Sorry Marty, I meant stern thruster. I must have been typing too fast ;D. Obviously you do not think I mean bow thruster because everyone knows that the vermaas has a bow thruster ;).

I do not think it is ignorant, I think it is safe :D.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 20:09:49 »

Sorry Marty, I meant stern thruster. I must have been typing too fast ;D. Obviously you do not think I mean bow thruster because everyone knows that the vermaas has a bow thruster ;).

I do not think it is ignorant, I think it is safe :D.

But a REAL vessel of that size DOES NOT HAVE STERN THRUSTERS. And VSTEP would have to re-write and modify the model if they wanted to add stern thrusters, and then re-do the dynamics of the ship...

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 20:19:49 »

Ohh really? Well I am not talking about real vessels, I am talking about the fake ones. Just because a ship in real life does not have something, does not mean that we cant add-on to it. That is why it is called an add-on ;D.

I am not asking for V-STEP to remodel it, just saying that it would be better if it had on.

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 20:41:04 »

the vermass is a very sipmel ship to controls and gose where ever you want her to stern thrusers would make an allready simple ship even sipleer to drive

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 20:51:37 »

Not neccisarily. It would make the vermaas easier to dock, not to drive.

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 20:52:17 »

the vermass is allready very simple to dock

mvsmith

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 20:52:50 »

The Captain does not seem to understand that the purpose of Ship Simulator is to provide exercise
In ship handling, and that an attempt is made to make the exercise as realistic as possible. Adding unrealistic thrusters would trash the simulator and bring howls of protest from the competent users.
Perhaps a train simulator would be a better match to his abilities.
Marty

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 20:56:29 »

to dock the vermass all you need if the dock in on you left you go trusters to port and full to starbord to bring the back level

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 20:58:43 »

I got very very bored with train simulator. However, I was a perfect driver ;D.

I would not think that people would protest if they added 1 stern thruster to a ship :P. That is a little overdramatic. Perhaps if I asked for the vermaas to have 2 engines instead of one, that would cause a protest too? I find it very hard to mauver the vermaas with only one engine. I am satisfyed with ethier a stern thruster or 2 engines. Nothing more I ask.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines