Hello Guest July 27, 2024, 08:26:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: stern thrusters question  (Read 30025 times)

The Captain

• Forum member
Re: stern thrusters question
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2008, 20:18:39 »

Thank you very much mister Russell. I don't play missions very often, as can you tell with my scores ;D.

What is Marmite, mister Russell?

TerryRussell

« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2008, 20:33:06 »

It's "Terry", my friend!

Marmite is a spread that goes on buttered bread. You put a very small amount of it on at a time and spread it very thinly. It is is quite bitter. Made from yeast. Full of vitamin B.

People love it or hate it. In fact, the TV adverts show a lady with a plate of marmite sandwiches. People are either knocking each other out of the way to get some, or else running off screaming with her in pursuit.

Personally, I love it.

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2008, 20:55:32 »

Sorry. It is just polite to call adults by their last name :-[.

So, where could I find a sample of this, marmite?

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2008, 21:13:57 »

Sorry. It is just polite to call adults by their last name :-[.

So, where could I find a sample of this, marmite?
No where in the US. I have never seen it in our stores.

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2008, 21:18:01 »

Maybe they are showing us how bad it is ;D.

TerryRussell

« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2008, 21:26:08 »

There are a few places in the USA where it is specially imported, but I'm not sure where.

If I want to frighten my wife (who is American), I offer her a Marmite sandwich.  ;D But my mother-in-law who lives in Floria, loves it and we take a couple of jars when we go there.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2008, 21:32:55 »

There are a few places in the USA where it is specially imported, but I'm not sure where.

If I want to frighten my wife (who is American), I offer her a Marmite sandwich.  ;D But my mother-in-law who lives in Floria, loves it and we take a couple of jars when we go there.

Yuck

mvsmith

« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2008, 22:47:09 »

The closest I ever came to experiencing Marmite came when the waste holding tank leaked into the thruster tunnel while docking.
—just my way of getting back on topic, Terry ;D
Marty

TerryRussell

« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2008, 22:58:00 »

It's amazing how my presence can bring Marmite to any thread!

But before I tell myself off, I'll bring this back on topic.

I have now uploaded a new mission to the Creators Forum. It is "Masters Certificate Stage 1", and is the first in a series of tasks for the first Mate of Vermaas, who wishes to become Master of the vessel. This one involves very tight mooring situations using Vermaas (look Mum, no stern thrusters!).

If I can give you a big hint: If you go towards a morring point at about 15 to 20 degrees, and then turn the bow outwards just before you hit the quay, the bow will swing out and the stern will swing in towards the quay. If you also push the bow thruster towards the quay at just the right amount, the ship will slide in almost sideways! Vary the thrust to get the ship parallel to the shore. You really don't need stern thrusters...

Practice with this mission and after sinking yourself a few times, you'll see how easy it is!

James89uk

• Forum member
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2008, 02:24:59 »

Hi James,
Thanks for your thoughtful input. Where were you when we needed you five pages ago? :)
I might add that for vessels like Vermaas there are other considerations that work against stern thrusters:
The wide stern, with shaft alley and other machinery makes it difficult to fit a tunnel thruster—which would suffer from the long tunnel. On the other hand, her draft leaves little room for an azimuthing thruster.
Regards,
Marty

I saw this topic and I know the replies had been off-topic when I posted, but at least the information is available should anyone wish to read it. :)

If you or anyone else has any other questions then feel free to post them up or pop me a quick PM and should be able to answer as best I can.  Only things I obviously can't talk about are the exact operations of the company etc...

Good point about the availability of space for extra thrusters - very good point indeed.  Not to mention the added cost of installing more thrusters.

Some people don't like thrusters and just see them as another modern gadget to go wrong, but from what I'm aware, they're extremely useful.

James

Gloat

• Forum member
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2008, 06:26:57 »

Ah... maybe it would be indeed better if err... we moved this topic to small talk even though... ah... The first few posts on this topic were y`now err... not fit to enter small talk

Come and join us at the ship sim wiki! www.shipsimulator.wikia.com
Head Aministrator at Ship Simulator wiki.

TerryRussell

« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2008, 08:38:50 »

Ah... maybe it would be indeed better if err... we moved this topic to small talk even though... ah... The first few posts on this topic were y`now err... not fit to enter small talk

I think it would be much better if you didn't make irrelevant posts in dead threads. That's against Forum Rules. I trust that's clear.

This topic is now locked.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines