Hello Guest April 20, 2024, 05:51:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Costa Concordia Grounded, taking on water.  (Read 79909 times)

danny

• Forum member
Costa Concordia Grounded, taking on water.
« on: January 14, 2012, 01:12:45 »

Various news repots have stated that Costa Concordia has run aground of italy and is now taking on water.
passengers have been succesfully evacuated from the ship and a rescue mission is underway by the italian coastgaurd.
Will post when I either an english news report or more infomation.

JUST IN!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086527/Cost-Concordia-Massive-evacuation-underway-cruise-ship-starts-sinking-Italian-coast.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jpjNS4_4QUyem62wQ8R8hTRqbeuw?docId=CNG.0a48dca029ea3800c6e534eab94e8d0d.c41

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16560050

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086527/Costa-Concordia-accident-Pictures-cruise-ship-sinking-coast-Italy-Titanic-like-scene.html

Reports now state that the vessel encoutered a "Major electrical fault" apporx 2 hours after leaving port. The ship is now listing heavily to one side, and the coastgaurd is bracing to recive the people in boats, all 4000+ of them  :o

Edit 2
The italian coastgaurd have said that there is NO danger of the vessel sinking, and that the evacuation is wrapping up

Edit 3
Her list appears to be Worsening, it is now at 20 degrees. However, officals still state that there is no danger of her sinking. I have also been informed that 2 lives have been lost. a 70 year old man, and a unknown person who jumped overboard.

Edit 4
There are now a confirmed 6 (six) people dead, a further 200 remain aboard. the vessel is now reported to have struck a reef. Several people have been reported injured, 2 seriously.

Edit 5
The death toll has been revised to 3, however, the concordia is now lying at nearly 90 degrees to stbd. There is a possiblity she may be declared a "constructive total loss".

Edit 6
There are now 50 people currently listed as missing...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 15:06:59 by danny »
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
Re: Costa Concordia Grounded, taking on water.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 01:39:37 »

I just read this!  :o
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 02:15:21 »

Just been sent these pictures

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 02:27:39 by danny »
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

dexter7

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 03:06:05 »

Hmmmf Daily
"Transmission is temporarily suspended"
My PC specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM
Acer X213W ~ Cyberpower PC Gamer Ultra 2097 Desktop PC
Favorite games: Ship Simulators, MS Flight Sims, Railworks 3,

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 07:53:47 »

To evacuate 4,200 people in the dark from a ship with a 20 degree list is no easy task, from what I read the whole thing seems to have been handled very well.

Sadly latest reports now show that 8 people have died as a result of this.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:56:12 by clanky »

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 10:18:15 »

Previously seeing the news being such a tragedy it is, but in regards to the ship I thought it could have been possible to refloat it. But after seeing this photo I have my doubts:

Skynews (For UK citizens): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_8EFPmSZUs

I really wonder if they had their lifeboat drill yet? With P&O Cruises (Azura) we had it within 2 hours from being on the ship, we hadn't even left port yet.
Then with Thomson (Destiny) we left Majorca very late at night and had it at 10:30am the next day (sea day) before heading to Italy.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:21:09 by Matthew Brown »

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 10:23:00 »

I just saw it myself aswell.
Really how do they get it so far?? I serious gonna think a lot of the hull at stern has been gone. Otherwise how does get it so far?? All the seperate rooms should prevent things like this.
Cadet Holland America Line

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 10:28:30 »

I have always felt very uneasy with the "top heavy" design of modern cruise vessels, which would have affected its stability in a situation like this. Plus, a large amount of people scrambling to one side may have made the listing worse (and I can completely understand why these people did that - it's the human nature to try and escape).

I hope this is a wake-up call for cruise operators and ship designers.

My thoughts goes to all those who died  :(
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Joey1

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 11:05:47 »

It is really sad to see such a modern ship sinking. Here is a video showing the current situation of the Costa Concordia: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-BfsV7Kk4Aw

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 11:33:22 »

A tragic incident.  I am puzzled as to why the ship was there and why she has stranded so close to the island. She had left Rome yesterday and was supposedly on the way south to Palermo, Sicily..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9014743/Three-confirmed-dead-and-thousands-evacuated-as-cruise-ship-runs-aground-off-coast-of-Italy.html

rjwhyte09

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 12:08:54 »

Iv just got up and seen on Sky News so sad my heart goes out for the people who lost there lives.
VIRTUAL SHIPS & VIRTUAL SHIP LINES

> http://virtualshipsandvirtualshiplines.weebly.com/

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 12:09:45 »

A tragic incident.  I am puzzled as to why the ship was there and why she has stranded so close to the island.

Perhaps it was very fortunate that this happened close to the shore - if she had been further out in deeper waters, the outcome could have been much worse.
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Aidablu

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 12:16:34 »

HI all

A close freind of mine is working at costa and says that the ship is now sunked and still missing 20 people to rescue, weather they are dead by the impact or when the water came on is still unknown....

If you look back in history it has NOTHING to do by the design of the ship that makes it list like this, if you search on COSTA EUROPA you will see a ship build in the 80's and even she was listing to the one side, so it's not a fault by the design, if you look it also got a huge hole in the hull so if anyone here can tell me why such an old ship list to the side, please be my guest...

Also my thoughts go to the families that has lost a member here by, but i also have to say that this could have been ALOT worse if it had happened on the atlantic or in the middle of the med... so that allmost 4200 people are rescued is job well done by the crewand my thought go to them as well for OUTSTANDING JOB WELL DONE
HAHA LOOKING FOR MY USERNAME LOOK BELOW

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 12:23:51 »

Also my thoughts go to the families that has lost a member here by, but i also have to say that this could have been ALOT worse if it had happened on the atlantic or in the middle of the med... so that allmost 4200 people are rescued is job well done by the crewand my thought go to them as well for OUTSTANDING JOB WELL DONE

On the Atlantic she would have still been afloat, because there are no reefs there.  :P

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 12:26:32 »

On the Atlantic she would have still been afloat, because there are no reefs there.  :P
Haha, I just want to say that.

If you look back in history it has NOTHING to do by the design of the ship that makes it list like this, if you search on COSTA EUROPA you will see a ship build in the 80's and even she was listing to the one side, so it's not a fault by the design, if you look it also got a huge hole in the hull so if anyone here can tell me why such an old ship list to the side, please be my guest
Why you bringing this up?? Of course there is no design fault. With a 80 meter long hole in your hull no ship will be able to sail without a list.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:30:41 by Snakebyte92 »

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 12:57:34 »

I can only guess it must have been a navigational error. The waters surrounding Giglio Island are extremely shallow.

As for Atlantic reefs, there are some.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Reefs_of_the_Atlantic_Ocean

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 13:15:28 »

I can only guess it must have been a navigational error. The waters surrounding Giglio Island are extremely shallow.

As for Atlantic reefs, there are some.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Reefs_of_the_Atlantic_Ocean

Yes, but most of them are at the coast of Florida and elsewhere near other coasts.  ;)

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 13:32:34 »

quite sad it is to hear that a 5 year old ship has capsized. i think by the amount of water damage there and that huge hole in the hull looks like its for srcap only.
fine they could refloat it, but by the amount of pools they have and how much its underwater, there probily a lot of water damage. plus as the engine i socked that will rust just like most of the ship quick.
also the crew were about to do a evacutation drill in one hour time.
its quite sad. also im hearing that people accualy started jumping off the ship as the crew thought it was safe but they had lost faith in the crew.
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 13:51:41 »

I would understand why some swam, it went over just next to the coast

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 13:52:35 »

If you look back in history it has NOTHING to do by the design of the ship that makes it list like this, if you search on COSTA EUROPA you will see a ship build in the 80's and even she was listing to the one side, so it's not a fault by the design, if you look it also got a huge hole in the hull so if anyone here can tell me why such an old ship list to the side, please be my guest

This particular vessel was deliberately listed to port to lift the damaged area clear of the water.

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 13:56:30 »

Here some of the last track sailed by the "Costa Concordia" according to the AIS: http://marinetraffic.com/ais/nl/default.aspx?oldmmsi=247158500&zoom=10&olddate=1/13/2012%209:02:00%20PM

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 13:56:46 »

So that want capsized it
sometimes its better to let it to sink than capsize as you have more time (usaly) and there  ain such a crash when it lands in the water.
what suprizes me it aint leaking oil
Captain Cadet

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 13:59:02 »

Maybe the Costa Concordia will meet the same fate as that of the Sea Diamond.  :-\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZu_1j8JGDs

Ever since, she is still untouched...

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 14:00:11 »

she is in to shalow water
Captain Cadet
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines