Hello Guest April 26, 2024, 12:56:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Costa Concordia Grounded, taking on water.  (Read 79975 times)

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
Re: Costa Concordia Grounded, taking on water.
« Reply #250 on: March 22, 2012, 18:41:49 »

"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #251 on: March 22, 2012, 21:40:29 »

update: two more were found. :-\
Today's weather:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Not to sound cliched, but what a long, strange, trip it's been.

michael_taal

• Forum member
« Reply #252 on: March 22, 2012, 22:31:17 »

the pumping from the oil in the holds will be done tomorrow, there will be some little bit of oil in the holds but it isn't much so it isn't dangerous for the nature.

btw: the oil is done by Smit Salvage

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #253 on: March 25, 2012, 00:12:09 »

The Concordia has been de-fueled.
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #254 on: April 02, 2012, 19:54:52 »

Can you believe it?! After almost 3 months since the Costa Concordia struck rocks just off the island of Giligo, she will be refloated and towed to Genoa, Italy. Costa announced this plan the other day, but they have not yet revealed which salvaging company will be in charge of removing the Concordia from its 80 degree position along the coast of Giligo. The Concordia will have to be refloated and have her hull patched up before she can be towed to her suspected destination of Genoa.

Costa has not yet revealed what they will do with the Concordia once she has been righted again. Locals also announced the other day that they are planning to create a permanent memorial to remember all those who perished on that fateful night, January 12th, 2012.

http://mikeyscruiseblog.com/2012/04/02/concodia-to-be-righted-and-refloated/
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #255 on: April 02, 2012, 20:00:01 »

I'd imagine the salvage company will be the same one that removed the fuel, which was smit salvage. ALthough there are rumours that titan or mammoet have been VERY interested in the contract.
I still think that she'll be scrapped, I can't see her being put back into service, especially if her machinery spaces are flooded - which they are. Then again, Theres been ships that have been in worse condition and have still been repaired. Theres even been some that have sunk, raised, and put back into service!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 20:06:51 by danny »

assassinator2.0

• Forum member
« Reply #256 on: April 03, 2012, 04:57:04 »

The sad thing about this is that the US news totally forgot about the COncordia. Thank you for keeping me updated :2thumbs:
"He that boasts of his own knowledge proclaims his ignorance" -Author Unknown

"If a tidal wave hits LA just grab a fake boob for safety" -Sarah Michelle Gellar

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #257 on: April 03, 2012, 10:40:34 »

It does look like the plan is to refloat the ship. A salvage company has not yet been chosen..

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16200962

"Costa will narrow down their options to three companies in the next week. A few U.S. salvage firms are in the running, but Netherlands-based Smit maybe be in the lead, as they just finished removing over 2,000 tons of diesel fuel from the capsized liner."
http://www.maritime-executive.com/article/costa-concordia-update-salvage-bid-continues-salvage-operation-confirmed
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:45:23 by saltydog »

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #258 on: April 04, 2012, 19:20:13 »

The estimated cost of the salvage work is approx €225 million.
Now, I'm no finanical expert, but wouldn't it be cheaper to build a new liner and have the concordia cutup in-situ?

larsdehaan

« Reply #259 on: April 04, 2012, 19:31:13 »

It would be cheaper to refloat her, qoute from Wikipedia

Cost:   â‚¬450 million (£372 million, US$570 million)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 19:33:17 by larsdehaan »

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #260 on: April 04, 2012, 19:36:29 »

Ahh, but the 225 million is just the cost of refloating her, it doesn't include the refit....

larsdehaan

« Reply #261 on: April 04, 2012, 19:48:27 »

True...

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #262 on: April 05, 2012, 12:16:17 »

also the costa concordia has now got a bad name for capsizing.
same thing happend with the sea emprese here in Pembrokeshire.
they renamed her but there was so many people protesting agence her being an oil carrier and she was band to enter pembroke, and she got a restriction zone around pembrokshere due to protest she got moved and so many people didnt want her there, now she in the medaterainion being a sewage ship (yep a sewage ship -ych).
i think she is scrap and i think the costa name is finished now, expessaly after the Elegra power issue.
Though she may be fine after but who would want to go on her!
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #263 on: April 07, 2012, 19:48:58 »

Ahh, but the 225 million is just the cost of refloating her, it doesn't include the refit....

The decision on what to do with the hulk will be made by the insurers who will now effectively own it.

They are obliged to remove the wreck from it's present position and it is probably cheaper to refloat it than to have it cut up in place and the pieces removed.  As to what will happen after that, it will be sold to the highest bidder, I would imagine that will be a scrap yard somewhere, but it is always possible that someone might see an opportunity to re-fit her and return her to service in some part of the world where the disaster didn't have such a big impact such as Korea which has a massive emerging cruise market.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #264 on: April 08, 2012, 01:14:13 »

There was an ex Viking ferry (Saga?) that was gutted by fire, chopped to deck 1 or 2 and rebuilt a lot cheaper than a new keel laying... that was turned into a cruise ship.

Surely if the whole ship is warped (IF) then it's not possible at ANY price
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #265 on: April 29, 2012, 07:17:51 »

Two companies have been chosen for the salvage operation: the US based Titan Salvage and the Italian Microperi.
First underwater ship repairs will be done, afterward airbags will be used to refloat the ship and enable her to be towed away..

http://cruisefever.net/0428-costa-concordia-to-be-floated-to-a-port-in-italy/

w_de_falco

• Forum member
« Reply #266 on: May 18, 2012, 23:25:52 »

According to Italian state TV channel RAI2, works for Concordia's refloating will begin in the next weeks and are stated to end in February 2013.
After the repair of the gash in the hull, a set of crates would be installed on the left side of the ship; he was initially filled with water to act as ballast, and a platform was builded on the seabed in order to put the hull in right position; then a second set of crates would be installed on the right side; all were filled with air, refloating the ship.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 23:27:43 by w_de_falco »

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #267 on: May 19, 2012, 00:14:06 »

I wonder if they will use airbags, such as these..  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZJzWUxPqUM

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #268 on: June 20, 2012, 14:34:21 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2161954/Raise-Costa-Concordia-Salvage-rig-arrives-wreck-start-year-long-operation-refloat-tow-away-stricken-vessel.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Titan salvage have now moved the "Titan-Micoperi" into place alongside the concordia to begin salvage work. Its estimated that it could cost up to $300 million dollars to salvage the costa concordia.

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines