Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 00:47:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: life like sinking  (Read 43869 times)

silja

• Forum member
Re: life like sinking
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2010, 17:29:43 »

Hello to all,

I am the creator of the addon Estonia for VS. Certainly the sound of "Capsize" Was awkward to me. I apologize. I had no intention of hurting and/or offend people. I had no Iintent of the offending parents of victim mostly I know many people who were the days on board of the sinking. I apologize.
     That said, I have is to simply placed sound show to the people who downloaded this addon the severity of the sinkink but not just play and not make fun of people screaming in fear. I apologize. (I delete my model for a long time since I found it not very realistic)

Thanks,
Silja.

abcabcabc5000

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2010, 20:16:06 »

A very realistic sinking, such as hitting port side will make your ship sink into the port side, etc, is not needed in my opinion, as we won't encounter it very often (not the point of the game), but enhanced effects for sinking, at least not sink like a submarine submerging, would be a nice addition. Just make sure it won't greatly increase the resources needed to play this game, and it would be nice.

Thomas N Walker

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2010, 23:13:54 »

Titanic sould sink like she really did and ocean star could do a poseidon sort of thing

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2010, 00:50:48 »

Perhaps you should read pages 1 and 2 of this topic.
Almost never here, try here.

mvsmith

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2010, 02:52:04 »

Titanic sould sink like she really did and ocean star could do a poseidon sort of thing

Modern forensics and the archives of Harland and Wolff indicate that Titanic broke up on the surface at a stern angle of no more than eleven degrees. Most people calling for more “realistic” sinking have only a foggy notion of how ships sink based on romanticized paintings of Titanic and Hollywood hyperbole.

Ciroton

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2010, 04:15:09 »

~My Two Cents~

Cent one:

There are two types of people who play ship simulators. They are Sinkers and Floaters. Which one are you?

(Personally, I am a Floater, but I do sink sometimes for the sake of curiosity and if I feel like doing an imaginary scenario. When doing a mission or playing with a goal in mind, I am VERY careful how I go.)

Cent Two:

Before VStep gets to fixing the sink mechanics, they should fix the Artificial Stupidity of the "AI" vessels. I can't count the number of times one of them has sunk me because they wouldn't yield, I never saw them, or couldn't stop/turn in time to avoid them.

One even turned RIGHT INTO ME once. Thankfully, I didn't sink -THAT- time

valleyforge

• Forum member
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2010, 03:14:12 »

Before VStep gets to fixing the sink mechanics, they should fix the Artificial Stupidity of the "AI" vessels. I can't count the number of times one of them has sunk me because they wouldn't yield, I never saw them, or couldn't stop/turn in time to avoid them.

I agree with this.
Paul Watson is at it again: Doing absolutely nothing ;)

abcabcabc5000

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2010, 09:33:56 »

~My Two Cents~

Cent one:

There are two types of people who play ship simulators. They are Sinkers and Floaters. Which one are you?

(Personally, I am a Floater, but I do sink sometimes for the sake of curiosity and if I feel like doing an imaginary scenario. When doing a mission or playing with a goal in mind, I am VERY careful how I go.)

Cent Two:

That's true. Even for the very agile or small AI boats, they simply won't turn to avoid me, even if I am a tanker or a frieghter and very obvious that I dun have a chance to dodge them. And aren't small ships supposed to give way to the larger ships?

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2010, 10:11:55 »

Stupid AI. They knock you down and beat you with experience.

They're best kept at something more than arm's length. Like a mile away.

They can be persuaded to stop, but only if you sail ahead of them and slowly decrease your speed.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2010, 10:26:52 »

Modern forensics and the archives of Harland and Wolff indicate that Titanic broke up on the surface at a stern angle of no more than eleven degrees. Most people calling for more “realistic” sinking have only a foggy notion of how ships sink based on romanticized paintings of Titanic and Hollywood hyperbole.

I have to say I agree with that totally...

But I think it's been summed up very well by yourself and Hudizzle.

Some people simply want to sink ships all day long, which is all well and good, but the real mariners who want a Ship Simulator (Not a sinking simulator) pay for that extra 'sinking feature' as you pointed out Marty..through system specs.

I understand the point of "If the ship sinks, it would be nice for it to sink slower *this way* and *That way*" and so on. But the mariners don't want to see ships sink...the idea is that they float. Not sink.

What it boils down to is the fact that you have 2 or 3 groups. First one is the Ship Sinking crew, the second are the people who are neither here or there, and the third are generally the mariners who just don't want to see ships sinking. Yes, ships do sink; but that isn't the object of the simulator. Some may say that because it is a "Ship SIMULATOR", that is has to accomodate everything. Again, that's all well and good, but peoples machines simply CANNOT accomodate everything. And V-STEP aren't going to waste their time downgrading their game (Ie by upping the specs so high that people can't play it) so that ships sink in a particular fashion that suits a minority group...

I think this is something that people will debate for as long as Ship Simulator is here...I also think some people should stop looking at how ships will sink in SSE and look at the OTHER new features that'll be in the game. Be appreciative of that I say...

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2010, 13:09:06 »

Cent Two:

And you also know the situations where the AI vessel is the stand on vessel and where you should give way according the collision regulations? I know the AI vessels can be annoying, but it isn't always "their fault".

Unfortunately this problem is well known since SS06. I think it will be pretty hard to get the AI vessels that smart, since every situation is different and requires a different solution. In SS06 the devs tried to fix this problem, by letting the AI vessel stop if it was getting too close to your own vessel. That created even more annoying situations
It's the crew that makes the difference

mvsmith

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2010, 13:41:42 »

I’ll add to Ballast’s good comments that the attempt to provide better AI behavior in SS08 is the major cause of so-called QV errors, and the inability to initialize some missions.

The computational requirements in solving the complex AI problem, on top of those for implementing reasonable dynamics in a heavy sea, can put a capable computer beyond the reach of many.

valleyforge

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2010, 03:49:36 »

I think too many people are misunderstanding this topic. We all get that this is a ship simulator, not sink simulator, but wether people do it for fun or not, ships do sink in the game. I don't VSTEP needs to make superbly high-poly models to accomodate those who do have sinking fetishes, but for the few times it can happen why not make the sinking a little more realistic?
Paul Watson is at it again: Doing absolutely nothing ;)

Ciroton

• Forum member
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2010, 04:33:17 »

And you also know the situations where the AI vessel is the stand on vessel and where you should give way according the collision regulations? I know the AI vessels can be annoying, but it isn't always "their fault".

Unfortunately this problem is well known since SS06. I think it will be pretty hard to get the AI vessels that smart, since every situation is different and requires a different solution. In SS06 the devs tried to fix this problem, by letting the AI vessel stop if it was getting too close to your own vessel. That created even more annoying situations

I try to follow Collision Avoidance Regulations but, quite honestly, I forget sometimes. Oops.  :-\

I’ll add to Ballast’s good comments that the attempt to provide better AI behavior in SS08 is the major cause of so-called QV errors, and the inability to initialize some missions.

The computational requirements in solving the complex AI problem, on top of those for implementing reasonable dynamics in a heavy sea, can put a capable computer beyond the reach of many.

Don't worry, I understand good AI is basically out of reach for the foreseeable future due to current processing limitations. I was just trying to say that some issues are more pressing then making a realistic sinking mechanic. That and I wanted to vent a little bit of frustration. =P

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2010, 10:32:25 »

Does anyone know if ShipSim Pro whatever it's called these days has AI ships or if they are all controlled by the instructors running the simulation?

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2010, 10:33:18 »

SSPro NAUTIS has AI, I believe.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2010, 12:02:41 »

Ít would make sense that the instructor would set the course and speed for the AI vessels, where the instructor judges every situation separately with his experience and knowledge. During a simulator exercise you want to practise particular situations e.g. crossing a TSS or entering/leaving a port. Most exercises i've done on a sim were under rule 19 "restricted visibility" of the COLREG, where both vessels have to take the necessary actions.
It's the crew that makes the difference

cap,nfoster

• Forum member
titanic sinking life like
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2010, 14:51:44 »

in sse titanic shoud bow first then break
p.s shoud have her sisters  :) ??? :captain:
[/color]

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
Re: titanic sinking life like
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2010, 15:01:32 »

in sse titanic shoud bow first then break
p.s shoud have her sisters  :) ??? :captain:
[/color]

No... Just No...

This is Ship Simulator - not SHIPSINK SIMULATOR

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2010, 16:35:08 »

~My Two Cents~

Cent one:

Cent Two:

to add to the part about the non-yielding AI players, i could've sworn i read somewhere that in SSE the AI players are more aware and depending on the size and speed of your vessel they will react a certain way.

Biggles1975

• Forum member
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2010, 13:06:56 »

Wow all thease people wanting to sink ships. Do they not want another shipsim to be made then?  Lets face it how many ship owners are going to let Vstep put it's ships in the game if they see loads of videos on youtube of people sinking the ships they own. I know if I was the boss of a shipping company I would not be happy if I saw a video of my ship being sunk in this game.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2010, 13:11:04 »

Wow all thease people wanting to sink ships. Do they not want another shipsim to be made then?  Lets face it how many ship owners are going to let Vstep put it's ships in the game if they see loads of videos on youtube of people sinking the ships they own. I know if I was the boss of a shipping company I would not be happy if I saw a video of my ship being sunk in this game.

Thank you - this is the problem...

If it wasn't for idiots who love to just going around sinking ships, there would be more companies in game...

If these idiots just keep putting videos of the latest ship they have decided would be fun to ruin fine...

I will just wait by the door and shake hands with the companies as they walk out from letting their ships be put into the game...

Then what will these people say...?

>:(

Sorry, Rant over

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2010, 13:17:27 »

In my experience AI ships do avoid you.. They will either slow down or turn out of your way..
I just tried it,  put my Red Eagle in the path of AI ships..They all stopped..
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 13:42:36 by saltydog »

larsdehaan

« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2010, 09:27:02 »

to add to the part about the non-yielding AI players, i could've sworn i read somewhere that in SSE the AI players are more aware and depending on the size and speed of your vessel they will react a certain way.
so thus when im a small yacht with a broken engine and a large ai cargo ship comes at me it continues sailing? straight over me?

Dusty926

• Forum member
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2010, 06:02:45 »

i like your point of view ;) and one of my friends told me that on one video this guy deployed life boats and he also told me after that the ship split in half(he also told me oil tankers can catch fire if overheated)so im thinking yes they made more realistic sinking and damage models in SSE
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines