Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 15:49:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: life like sinking  (Read 43881 times)

Ballast

• Global Moderator
Re: life like sinking
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2010, 11:26:57 »

Why would they do that?

Perhaps because that's how the Titanic sunk in the latest movie?  ::)
It's the crew that makes the difference

krytsch

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 11:31:22 »

I too believe that life like sinking and Hollywood like sinking is getting mixed up here ...

The Leviathan

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 21:05:03 »

There must be a realistic sinking process if this is going to be a simulator. In real life, if you hit something you would need to make the decision to call for support and abandon ship or repair the ship. In a real life situation you don't just crash your boat and say"ooopps we crashed, no need to evacuate because we will be under water in under 2 minuets"

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 21:35:38 »

That is why we have a nice little percentage at the top of the screen. It's like a very simplified damage report.
Almost never here, try here.

mvsmith

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 22:05:21 »

Leviathan:
Since you are not a registered user of SS08, you probably know nothing about the way ships sink in this program.
If it makes you happy to say it is not a simulator, that’s OK. Neither is FSX a simulator, because the aircraft do not crash in a realistic manner.
I can’t say anything about the way ships sink in SSE, but I hope they have not wasted resources on something that adds little that’s worthwhile.

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 23:29:48 »

If all you want to do is sink, dont buy the game, its pointless. The whole point is to finish a mission safely, without sinking. Sinking is the worst possible thing.. And like a few others have said it would be pointless to make it more realistic, because it would lead to higher specs, and nobody wants to buy more expensive computers to play the game.

But i dont know why im saying it. Sinking enthusiasts dont care how much we say about it all they want is they're realistic sinking (which is stupid)
 :C
Regards,
Jonah

trains

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2010, 15:50:58 »

We all know Ship Simulator is a simulation for sailing, not sinking. Although the whole purpose is to sail ships, ships sink in real life. Now maybe for realism, there could be missions where you'll have to save the crew from a sinking ship, by taking a vessel like the Arrie Visser out to the ship in distress, actually get on the other ship and make sure all crew members are safely on board your vessel, and then have to sail away before the larger vessel sinks, causing damage to the rescue vessel.

I used to be one for sinking when that feature came out, but now I sail and if I sink, I sink and just move on. I don't go around ramming other vessels or rocks just for fun. I'll admit I do so once in a while to see how I can handle being on a ship and see what would be a good possibilty if it was real. But one problem with that training is the ships sink in about one and a half minutes. Maybe a feature to control sinkings like bulkhead doors could help, and being able to launch the lifeboats(I think we'll be able to though)

But all in all, for my opinon, more realism in sinkings could be a good addition. I'm not saying that's all I want though. I'd like to see my ship where it should be, on the top of the water. Not miles below. Sinking happens in real life and in Ship Simulator, but let's all remember, Vstep designed this game for players to train for sailing and have fun seeing all the sights.

thanks to TJK for this awsome sig :D

Radeon HD 6850; AMD FX 4100 3.62 Ghz; 4 GB Ram

mvsmith

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2010, 16:45:25 »

There is a mission in SS08 where you have to take Arie Visser out to a sinking VLCC in the North Sea and rescue the crew (from the drink, not from the ship) before the ship sinks. You can watch the ship go all the way under in a reasonably realistic way.

Many critics of the way ships in SS08 sink have either never seen the various ways in which they sink, or have only tried to sink them by ramming.
By using the trigger in the Mission Editor you can cause various sinking situations and gain some real knowledge of the subject.

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2010, 20:27:51 »

You can use the ~sink cheat code for sinking a vessel. Or you can let the Pride of Rotterdam capsize by throwing out her anchors while at e relative high speed.

In Virtual Sailor you have both a sink and a capsize button. Eeven you can download an add-on of the Estonia. When you let the Estonia capsize, you will hear the people onboard screaming.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2010, 20:41:21 »

The latter really makes my stomach turn around, how cruel is that . Absolutely respectles from the creators  :-\
It's the crew that makes the difference

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2010, 22:04:12 »

Quote:-In Virtual Sailor you have both a sink and a capsize button. Eeven you can download an add-on of the Estonia. When you let the Estonia capsize, you will hear the people onboard screaming. Unquote.

Now I can see that Virtual sailor is definitely NOT a simulator but a sick joke.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2010, 22:09:14 »

VS isn't sick, but the creator of that addon is.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2010, 22:16:35 »

IF VS allow that then sick is the right word.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2010, 22:20:48 »

After all the poncy regulations that lot have for uploading to their library and modelling guidelines etc, they still accept something as disgusting as that?

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2010, 22:25:51 »

Good point. Sick.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2010, 22:28:01 »

In Virtual Sailor you have both a sink and a capsize button. Eeven you can download an add-on of the Estonia. When you let the Estonia capsize, you will hear the people onboard screaming.

That is truly horrendous, I can't begin to imagine how the families of those who lost loved ones on the Estonia would feel if they found out about this.

EDIT: Is it not about time this thread was locked?

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2010, 22:30:29 »

Is this vessel actually in the official library though?

krytsch

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2010, 22:44:03 »

I don't think it is VS' fault - there are tons of ships out there, that can be downloaded and used for free. Nice ones, but really bad ones as well II even found one of those which sailed on the Flensburger Förde when I was a child). They (Ilan Papani) can't control these tons ships (have you seen the Agile Solution for VS? It's quite funny to compare ...).

By the way, it was the demo version of VS which made me buy SS08, because when I wanted to buy it the local dealer only had SS08 in stock (Gold edition including NH and all add ons (apart from Furie and Elbe)) for 9.90 Euro! So I gave it a try ... you may have already guessed what happened then ...

Meanwhile VS is uninstalled.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2010, 22:46:12 »

The vessel appears to have been removed.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2010, 22:47:30 »

I've just had a look, and it does appear to have been removed from the library. However, there is still a topic on the VS forum.

Sorry for going off topic :)

krytsch

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2010, 22:51:43 »

But mvsmith gave us the real point why this discussion should be stopped:

"The developers are quite capable of making such realistic sinking possible. Thankfully they don’t. It is a bad idea because all other users who do not have a sinking fetish would pay for it in reduced performance or more expensive computers."

In times, when people quarrel about high system requirements this sentence should stop everybody from crying for "more realistic sinking".

How many other reasons do you need?

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2010, 22:54:27 »

But mvsmith gave us the real point why this discussion should be stopped:

"The developers are quite capable of making such realistic sinking possible. Thankfully they don’t. It is a bad idea because all other users who do not have a sinking fetish would pay for it in reduced performance or more expensive computers."

In times, when people quarrel about high system requirements this sentence should stop everybody from crying for "more realistic sinking".

How many other reasons do you need?

[/topic]

krytsch

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2010, 22:59:52 »

???
What do you mean?

v.h94

• Beta Tester
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2010, 08:06:51 »

Quote:-In Virtual Sailor you have both a sink and a capsize button. Eeven you can download an add-on of the Estonia. When you let the Estonia capsize, you will hear the people onboard screaming. Unquote.

Now I can see that Virtual sailor is definitely NOT a simulator but a sick joke.

First of all that member is on this forum, and secondly hes my friend and it's not ment to capsaise her.

I want to make shure that I just point this out i'm not mad against someone I just think peopel should think before posting.

The reason why he has those sounds it probeably because there is a warning signal and the peopel aren't meant ot be there, he just din't find any other that he legal could put on the ship.

I will talk to him and just inform him about that peopel thinks that sound is offensesive. (if he hasent seen this topic)

Best regards v.h94
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 08:21:56 by v.h94 »

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2010, 10:27:51 »

Virtual Sailor has indeed a lower graphics quality. The add-ons, some are very well, but others are very poor. A disadvantage is that you have to activate VS before you can use the program. And the period in which you can still activate the VS program after re-install seems to be limited for only two years.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines