Hello Guest April 26, 2024, 16:23:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship's whistles - Big let down!  (Read 28980 times)

Dom

• Forum member
Ship's whistles - Big let down!
« on: July 23, 2007, 12:08:46 »

Probably one of the most iconic parts of a ship is the whistle...so why are they so rubbish in Ship Sim?! All of the modern large ships have the same whistle that you can't even hear unless you are on the deck of the ship! Also, they just sound awful with no echo at all. I really would like this to be sorted out in a future patch!

Orinoco

• Forum member
Re: Ship's whistles - Big let down!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 12:14:06 »

Does anyone else think that the horn on the Fairmount Sherpa sounds like the Alien Machines out of War of the Worlds?  :-*

EDIT: Image removed to prevent copyright violation. Stuart.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 00:38:54 by Stuart2007 »

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 12:38:10 »

HAHA!  :D

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 12:39:49 »

Probably one of the most iconic parts of a ship is the whistle...so why are they so rubbish in Ship Sim?! All of the modern large ships have the same whistle that you can't even hear unless you are on the deck of the ship! Also, they just sound awful with no echo at all. I really would like this to be sorted out in a future patch!

yes, i completely agree. But i'm sure VSTEP will sort it out sometime. ;D

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 14:27:09 »

They should get themselves some really good sound recording devices or hire someone that is really professional with such stuff. ;)
I completely agree that the horn sounds is very “plastic fantastic” :D

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 17:30:23 »

I could make 'em some- Ive already made Titanic's engines sounds from scratch, (Cranks pounding, railings shaking, that kinda thing!  :D and have done a few engine sounds for the container ships in virtual sailor and would be willing to help!  :)

Thanks, Sky.
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 18:47:13 »

I could make 'em some- Ive already made Titanic's engines sounds from scratch, (Cranks pounding, railings shaking, that kinda thing!  :D and have done a few engine sounds for the container ships in virtual sailor and would be willing to help!  :)

Thanks, Sky.

Great! ;D

We could do with better whistles sometime!

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 17:20:19 »

K. Ill have a go once Ive purchased the game and heard the existing ones for myslef.

Thanks, Sky.
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 18:41:20 »

Hey Britannic, would it be possible for you to make a short YouTube vid showing off the sounds you made for VS?  That would be really great!

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 19:19:14 »

well, it is not a very neccesairy part of the game, it sounds more like a sound if you are doing your big ''buisness'' on the toilet, :D but that are the horns of the ship right?

Maelmoor

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 21:01:53 »

The sounds are recorded on a keyboard..

William Bensch

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 12:51:00 »

The sounds are recorded on a keyboard..

sounds are no horn of real ships,  not to good and needs a redone in the patch upcoming.

imho.

and a ships bell is great to for extra atmosphere
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 12:52:59 by William Bensch »

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 14:18:18 »

Hey Britannic, would it be possible for you to make a short YouTube vid showing off the sounds you made for VS?  That would be really great!

Well, do you have VS? Cos if you have the Constance boat, the Ranger V2 or the racing yaghts, these have some of my sounds. A short vid would be good, but I have 3 on the go at mo and it seems a little pointless-as I said, Ive only done a few. Ill try to upload one onto this thread sometime.  :) I made Titanic's by recording the engine of an old Bristol (London) Bus, slowed down 43 times, added bass, reverb crossfading etc. for the cranks, and the rest I either obtained from various places, asked someone else on VS if I could use elements of their sounds to edit or made them from scratch. (I use audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)

http://vslib.maxxflow.com/library.php

That link should have them.

(Nice pic, Orinoco!  :D)

Thanks, Sky
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 14:25:32 by Britannic »

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 15:52:08 »

sounds are no horn of real ships

Titanic horn is :)

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 22:01:26 »

Well, do you have VS?

It just so happens that I don't.  :(

CubanSailor

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 22:08:15 »

I want the horns to sound like this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLSPCjJTp_g

It wouldnt hurt to see a Liberty of the Seas model aswell!

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 14:10:21 »

It just so happens that I don't.  :(
:(
Oh, well-no doubt youve got ships sim 08 and Im sure thats 10 times better! :)

Now, I know this sounds kinda crazy, but I heard the engine of a Komatsu 930 dumper and thought, 'Sped up, that would sound great as a yaght engine' (As you do (!) ;D) But anyway, its horn sounds quite boatish. tweaked a little, I think it may pass.

Thanks, Sky!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 14:12:54 by Britannic »

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 20:48:22 »

I want the horns to sound like this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLSPCjJTp_g

It wouldnt hurt to see a Liberty of the Seas model aswell!

ROFL, If I was on a smaller boat I would be like WTF are they doing :|

Dom

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 00:08:26 »

Is there any way to change the ships horn? I've looked in the games folders and can't see where I could put an audio file?

Necramonium

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 00:30:04 »

the first time i heard the ship horns i thought they used a fricking synthesizer!and isn't the Vstep office located near Rotterdam harbor?

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 13:54:02 »

Is there any way to change the ships horn? I've looked in the games folders and can't see where I could put an audio file?

No, I havnt got the game, but Ship Sim probably uses an archive system. (I.e, Midtown madness uses the .ar archive, need for speed uses the .viv archive-that kinda thing.) It may even use raw format sounds (ones only the game can open) these are better quality. But, hey, I might be wrong! Ill look in the demo and see what I can find!

thanks, sky.

p.s- A Synthesizer? I use a polyphonic mophonic synthesizer II for my music and even that sounds... well, synthesized!

Gertjan

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 11:38:10 »

The ships horn sounds pretty crappy, there is no echo or fading when you release the H button.

patriot

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 19:15:57 »

Vstep has room to improve i suppose!

pjotr

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Forum member
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2007, 21:28:34 »

Yes, you are all right, we can improve the sounds. Problem is, it's pretty hard to record good clean sounds in real life. Arranging a visit on a real VLCC or the Titanic :) is pretty hard, but even then the captain is not keen on sounding the horn when there is no navigational reason for that.
In short, any help with good sounds (also engine sounds) is welcome, and may well be added to the August patch (or another patch). Please send them to me as mp3 email attachment and we'll check them out.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 08:02:13 by pjotr »

Pilot of the Sea

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 22:23:16 »

They should try and record the true sound of a ships horn for SS2008. I appreciate the fact that it is difficult, but the sound are really bad!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 22:24:57 by Pilot of the Sea »
Pilot of the Sea :)

www.getfirefox.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines