Hello Guest April 19, 2024, 01:37:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship's whistles - Big let down!  (Read 28934 times)

Jazz

• Forum member
Re: Ship's whistles - Big let down!
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 23:46:09 »

I would rather see that the whitles sounded louder (alot) + echo, then variation. Adding echo and making them sound louder can't bee that hard, can it?  ???
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 23:48:45 by Jazz »

Ship Sim

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 07:22:36 »

I know that the horns are not the best. But give them a break. They are the first to make a ship Simulator with good grapics and pretty good shiphandeling. ;) But the sound of the horn is no big deal. It will improve with time. ;)

shipsimania

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 11:52:59 »

Hi,

I noticed that you are talking about vessel horns and whistles,

Everyone may not have "RealTek" installed on their computers.  But however other will.

When playing "Ship Simulator 2008" press the "Windows" Button which will bring up "Start Menu" now select the desktop.  After you have selected your desktop double click on the Yellow/Orange volume icon on the taskbar.  "RealTek" will appear now if you are not already on "Sound Effect" section please do this now.

Last but not least select any of the "Enviroment" dropdown list listing and continue playing Ship Simulator 2008.  You will notice a difference.

Happy Honking

Thank You.

Graham Docherty
Ship Simulator Fourm Name: shipimania

P.S > This following site will take you to the RealTek website:-:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 14:53:38 »

pjotr, I've sent you a few attachments to the above address. :)

Thanks, Sky
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 16:01:17 »

Arranging a visit on a real VLCC or the Titanic :) is pretty hard,

Actually the Titanic horn is the real thing.

Jazz

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2007, 19:02:20 »

Hi,

I noticed that you are talking about vessel horns and whistles,

Everyone may not have "RealTek" installed on their computers.  But however other will.

When playing "Ship Simulator 2008" press the "Windows" Button which will bring up "Start Menu" now select the desktop.  After you have selected your desktop double click on the Yellow/Orange volume icon on the taskbar.  "RealTek" will appear now if you are not already on "Sound Effect" section please do this now.

Last but not least select any of the "Enviroment" dropdown list listing and continue playing Ship Simulator 2008.  You will notice a difference.

Happy Honking

Thank You.

Graham Docherty
Ship Simulator Fourm Name: shipimania

P.S > This following site will take you to the RealTek website:-:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/

What's RealTek? Audio codes? Audio card? Audio software?

Eidt: Oh, audio codecs :P. Is there any direct download link?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 19:04:37 by Jazz »

Pilot of the Sea

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2007, 22:21:43 »

Actually the Titanic horn is the real thing.

Certainly, the horn on the Titanic is probably the best, and the most realistic in the whole game!!
Pilot of the Sea :)

www.getfirefox.com

Ship Sim

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 06:09:18 »

Ill never forget Titanics horn. Every time I use to start a mission Titanic the horn would sound at the begining. ;) :)

Pilot of the Sea

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 11:55:12 »

Ill never forget Titanics horn. Every time I use to start a mission Titanic the horn would sound at the begining. ;) :)

Wonderful sound, isn't it?? :) :) :)
Pilot of the Sea :)

www.getfirefox.com

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2007, 13:55:37 »

It sure is-then again, all steam whistles are wonderful. ;) They just have so much character! :)

Sky
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

Hyperfinch

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2007, 07:09:07 »

Are there some new revelations concerning this issue? I found the "horn.wav"-file in the respective object's directories, however, I have an additional issue when running the addon-vessels - there is no horn sound at all, although the "horn.wav"s are present.

Did anybody experiment with replacing the horn-sounds yet? And did anybody find the location of the engine-sounds (yuck!) ?

Cheers!
http://www.flickr.com/groups/shipsim/

Do not make excuses for missing language skills, improve them

Hyperfinch

• Forum member
A ship's horn is like a town's churchbell
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2007, 09:25:09 »

okay, so the 'horn.wav'-files in the respective object's directories (in 'Actors') can just be replaced with any other *.wav-file and work just fine, everybody is able to overcame those synthie-sounds. As there are numerous resources on sim-sites and others where one can get free horn-sounds, at least I find some satisfaction in making them sound at least a bit better, although I have no clue as far as resemblence to the originals is concerned.

I'll attach some of the sounds I use that I found free of charge and license, so I guess it's not a problem to post them here.
To make the sound available within your ShipSim, copy the respective sound into the [ROOT]\Actors\Objects\[DEST] (e.g. D:\ShipSim2008\Actors\Objects\RedJet ), backup the present 'horn.wav' and rename the copied file into 'horn.wav'. Done.

Still no clue why the horn sounds on the addon ships don't work but I suppose it must have something to do with the fact that the Keystroke is not recognized.

Attachments:
1 - Horn I use for the 'Pride' (found in 'Superfast' for VS)
2 - Horn I use for the RedJet (found in 'USS Ranger' for VS)

[continued next post]

Hyperfinch

• Forum member
A ship's horn is like a town's churchbell [cont.]
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2007, 09:26:38 »

[continued from above]

3 - Horn I use for the Pilot (found in 'New Amsterdam' for VS)
4 - Horn I use for the 'Red Eagle' (found in 'California Star' for VS)

I could use some nice authentic horn sounds for the smaller vessels like the Pilot, Rescue and Motoryachts ...
Btw, the horn used for 'Titanic' in ShipSim is identical with the one used in the famous freeware addon for VS ...

JD

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2007, 18:11:50 »

I think just adding some reverb or echo to the horns would go a long way. Even with the ones we have. If you have a sound card that allows you to add some of these effects, you can see what I mean.

Captain Titanic

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2008, 02:55:16 »

What Vstep should do.

Fidn the REAL SHIP that they have in ship simulator (NOT The Titanic ofcourse...) And simply tell the captain to sound the whistle. They shoudl record it wth sound devices and Volia!

Will take a long time I know, but face it... Its wirth it and most of the ships are from Rotterdam anyway (this annoys me so much...)
administrator: www.shipsimulator.heavenforum.com

I like pie!

armydude940

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2008, 05:30:34 »

Go to the Soo Locks in sault ste. marie michagin USA they use their horns alot in the locks alot.

Captain Titanic

• Forum member
Re: A ship's horn is like a town's churchbell
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2008, 17:41:53 »

okay, so the 'horn.wav'-files in the respective object's directories (in 'Actors') can just be replaced with any other *.wav-file and work just fine, everybody is able to overcame those synthie-sounds. As there are numerous resources on sim-sites and others where one can get free horn-sounds, at least I find some satisfaction in making them sound at least a bit better, although I have no clue as far as resemblence to the originals is concerned.

I'll attach some of the sounds I use that I found free of charge and license, so I guess it's not a problem to post them here.
To make the sound available within your ShipSim, copy the respective sound into the [ROOT]\Actors\Objects\[DEST] (e.g. D:\ShipSim2008\Actors\Objects\RedJet ), backup the present 'horn.wav' and rename the copied file into 'horn.wav'. Done.

Still no clue why the horn sounds on the addon ships don't work but I suppose it must have something to do with the fact that the Keystroke is not recognized.

Attachments:
1 - Horn I use for the 'Pride' (found in 'Superfast' for VS)
2 - Horn I use for the RedJet (found in 'USS Ranger' for VS)

[continued next post]

I do not understand a thing at all. Your post is VERY complecated. Dont know what your even talking about. Could you tell us in an easy way please?
administrator: www.shipsimulator.heavenforum.com

I like pie!

Hyperfinch

• Forum member
Re: A ship's horn is like a town's churchbell
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2008, 19:44:57 »

Could you tell us in an easy way please?

Sure: If man wants different horn for ship then follow instructions in text. If not, disregard.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2008, 12:21:34 »

Reverb and delay (echo) can be recorded into the sound file. You don't need expensive equipment for that. When it comes to realistic ship sounds maybe VSTEP should leave that for some that have a lot of experience when it comes to sound recording even if it may cost a lot. I hope you find a solution on this anyway ;)

NathanC

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2008, 14:39:27 »

I used the horn hyperfinch made for the PoR in the Vermaas, it sounds excellent. I also changed the Harbour tugs horn to one i found and i'm currently changing nearly all of them.

Dom

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2008, 02:47:08 »

I'm currently using Aurora's horn on the Pride of Rotterdam!

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2008, 03:05:55 »

Does changing the sound files violate the license? If not I can make some sound packs.  :D

Dom

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2008, 03:14:43 »

Does changing the sound files violate the license? If not I can make some sound packs.  :D

Rather enjoy what I have paid for than bother about that!

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2008, 03:25:12 »

Hi Agent,

nope, adding custom horn sounds is allowed!!

Regards,
Fred

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2008, 04:07:15 »

Hi Agent,

nope, adding custom horn sounds is allowed!!

Regards,
Fred

Cool. And thanks for the PM. Helped me allot. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines