Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 11:02:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How to sink the ships?  (Read 17967 times)

TitanicDL

• Forum member
How to sink the ships?
« on: May 01, 2007, 20:19:56 »

Hi there, newbie here. lol

I recently purchased the Ship Simulator 2006 game, after discovering the TITANIC was included in it! I was thrilled, considering I am a big Titanic Enthusiast. The game is great, runs smoothly, and the details and graphics are beautiful.

However, to my disappointment, the ships do not sink. lol. I have ran ships, for example: Titanic, in the shallow water areas, and she tilts to the side as to about to collapse. It was pretty neat the first time I saw it, especially when you're walking around.

I sailed her into a cliff also, and... she didn't sink. (Yet, when she hit ice..... she was a goner. Beats me lol)

Is it possible to sink the ship? If so, how? Do I need to download a patch, or file?

~TDL

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
Re: How to sink the ships?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 21:01:08 »

Greetings,
Yes,this has been on the old forum to.O.K.remember that the 2006 version is the very first release of the game.We are still busy to make things more realystic.This all takes time,but i believe in future releases,this wil al be possible.
Vstep,will keeps us informed about all these features.
Regards
Marc
N

Marbig

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 22:10:00 »

Hi,
I've only just purchased Ship Simulator 2006 and already know how to sink a ship  ::) .
In one of the missions, container ship in New York, I was steaming along the channel. My view was from inside the wheelhouse. Suddenly the vessel started listing to starboard. Kept listing severely. I thought I'd been hit by another vessel so panned out to better view the surrounds. No other vessel in the area and my ship still listing. It then turned right over, only the bottom of the hull showing. Zoomed back in to hear if any survivors tapping from inside the hull.... Nothing. (Poseidon Adventure?  :D). Then started wondering what the hell knocked me over. Chart seemed okay. Then zoomed in on the chart. Lo and behold. There marked, was a submerged wreck.
Now, if you get the Titanic. Find that wreck in NY Harbour. Pretend it's an iceberg. And try to hit it.
Voila! Titanic 2.   

rvm3192

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 05:26:23 »

Well, for now I guess I'll have 2 wait to sink a ship but I want a mission on the last voyage of the Titanic and the special part is that you have to save as many passenger as you can before she sinks. That would not be common
bon voyage! :)

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 20:13:53 »

Well, for now I guess I'll have 2 wait to sink a ship but I want a mission on the last voyage of the Titanic and the special part is that you have to save as many passenger as you can before she sinks. That would not be common
On the old forum we had a huge discussion about recreating the Titanic wreck for pleasure. After some fighting we agreed not to recreate the terrible sinking just for fun. Its not fun, there was a huge loss of life. That topic was created by myself. So don't expect to see anything, especially anything with Titanic and saving passengers.

rvm3192

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 21:13:58 »

Its not fun, there was a huge loss of life.
No need to get annoyed about it. Its fine, I know about the disaster and many more.
back on topic, I think IF the Titanic just so happenes to hit an object at the same location as the iceberg did then it should sink simmilar to what happened. Come to think about it, I think if ships were able to sink in the near future games they should study how ships sink when they're hit in that place so when in the game the ship is hit there, it sinks properly in a realistic way.

Thorinkiller

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 20:06:17 »

They should study how ships sink when they're hit in that place so when in the game the ship is hit there, it sinks properly in a realistic way.
I really gotta Agree with that
Crit Happens Rexxar Lvl 70 Orc Hunter

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 22:31:45 »

they should study how ships sink when they're hit in that place so when in the game the ship is hit there, it sinks properly in a realistic way.

To be honest, I don't see much point in that. The whole idea is not to sink the ships, and I'd much rather have the developers spend their time perfecting the dynamics of floating ships!

Cheers,
Michael
Michael Porter Marine Design
www.mp-marine.com

Ship Sim

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 04:56:44 »

I guess that some people are intrested in how ships sink. Im also intrested.

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 05:48:57 »

I guess that some people are intrested in how ships sink. Im also intrested.
Greetings,
I think the whole idea of this ship-simulator,infact all simulators,is not to sink ships.
You have to steer your vessel,the right way.I'm not like the idea,i agree with mporter.
However,when the game ever come online,you will find out that accidents realy do happen.
But to sink your ship on purpose,that's not realy my thing.
Regards
Marc
N

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 12:46:16 »

Hello,
It is to be agreed that sinking ships are "interesting" events. Unfortunately, these are usually very unpleasant sea hazards for all sailors, and not only the victims.
These great events are full of emotions (The Titanic) and even deadly heroism. The sinking of the Titanic was impressive, but is far from being the most lethal. There are other ones less known, for instance http://www.wilhelmgustloff.com/sinking.htm , that were more notable.
I am sure you could also find more horrific fine stories, suitable for Enthousiast people who like to know everything about such disasters and many more frightening situations. Be assured sailors dislike them.
RNLI-, KNRM-, SNSM- DGzRS- or DLRG- (and of many other nations) people could as well wish to have a simulation for such events. But ShipSimulator is not Silent Hunter, and while ships do sink, there is not much to be learned from it until now. That could of course change with ShipSim 2008, the sinking having been implemented to the greatest pleasure of adepts of realism in a simulation.
But for people who want to know HOW ships sink, I doubt they will learn anything realistic, for reasons similar to these about dynamic behavior of the ships. In the case of sinking, there have been also far less  experiments, and consequently no robust theory. There just remains some "eye candy (?)", and IMO a fascination sometimes of very bad or morbid taste.
Seeing a sinking ship, you must rush to save the people in danger... do all you can, even if (more especially as) you were responsible of the event. I suppose most people will agree with that.
More to the point, if you play Hitman, you know your role is one of a criminal. Intentionally sinking a ship, ie putting lives in danger, is equally a crime. I know of no real game, or sport event, that would ask for sinking a ship...
Regards,
Luc

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 14:43:05 »

You can sink ships in Virtual Sailor. Anyway a realistic sinking where departments of the ship are flooded and where boilers blow etc is probably more something that you can find in the latest Silent Hunter. In Silent Hunter you can sink ships as much as you want if that’s the thing that give you a “kick”.

What I’m looking for is more a simulator where you have to deal with a situation where the ship isn’t sinking and where you control ballast water or you have a damage to the hull where a department of the ship is field up with seawater and you have to deal with stability factors etc. to handle that situation before it becomes too critical. Also failures where wrong cargo handling gives the ship a critical stability would also be interesting. Said in other words; what happens before the sinking is much more interesting than the sinking itself.

I also agree with LucAtC, marcstrat and mporter’s opinion about the subject. :)

KDS

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 15:18:47 »

Me too why would you ever want to do that.
If you ask me especially with the Titanic it would be direspectful and upsetting. :D
Best Regards
Kevin

Ship Sim

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 16:33:01 »

To just make it more real. Because it is sad but in real life ships do sink. And when I say sink I mean big damage not just a hole.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 18:35:22 »

If you have a lot of damage by accident and it sinks fine but i wouldn't want to sink it on purpose.

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 18:45:06 »

I'm still on the fence about this subject, I have no problem playing games about WWII, yet the idea of re-sinking the Titanic for fun just seems wrong to me, and I'm not sure why.

KDS

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 13:58:41 »

I agree sinking the Titanic no matter where you are in the virtual world is wrong, to think of all the lives lost in that accident should be enough reason not to do it. :-\ :-[
Best Regards
Kevin

Gustav

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 00:15:22 »

Did you listen to you're teachers, SHIPS FLOATS! They are built to float and not sink. Why do you want to sink it ?? Or Drill a hole in your screen and you hava a HOLE with a little imgaination then take a bucket of water and simulate the titanic sinking. Then make the breaking effect that titanic had by beating the screen in 2. DONE!:D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:45:35 by Gustav »
Sincerely Gustav.

"All religions must be accepted, Because every man must come to heaven the way he see fit". Whilhelm 2 "Whilhelm Grobe"

Nescit Occasum

rvm3192

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 01:02:08 »

I think ur being too emotional about it, but if a ship gets enough damage, runs aground, hits another boat somthing should happen. Its not like in real life a boat gets hit and nothing happens, I just think somthing should happen. if the boat has too much damage on the bow, it should sink bow first, same with the sides and stern. Nothing dramatic, just a sinking ship.

Gustav

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 10:49:06 »

Well yes sinking is ok. But with titanic its another story over a thousand ppl. died that night. And to simulate their ship sinking is not a good tribute too them. But im 100% for sinking a ship that is fictional or real. But no ships that has sunk in RL with casualties.
Sincerely Gustav.

"All religions must be accepted, Because every man must come to heaven the way he see fit". Whilhelm 2 "Whilhelm Grobe"

Nescit Occasum

rvm3192

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 17:04:29 »

Well I think it would be ok to make the Titanic sinkable only because that is wut happens to ships when they fill with water. nothing crazy, just simple and no tragic part. Cus the Titanic is another ship just like the Ocean star or the speed boat, it should sink. But not crazy like the sad past.

Gustav

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 17:19:07 »

A ship that sinks undramaticlly ok i get your point.
Sincerely Gustav.

Nescit Occasum

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 14:04:21 »

Yes, I beleive the Titanic in the game should be able to sink but as far as recreating the actual sinking of it, or any other ship would be in bad taste.

Ship Sim

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 17:25:37 »

The good part is that there is no people on the ships so no one would get killed or hurt when a ship sinks.

rvm3192

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2007, 03:14:21 »

yup thats why I don't or wouldn't feel as bad sinking the Titanic
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines