Hello Guest April 24, 2024, 08:43:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to sink the ships?  (Read 18772 times)

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
Re: How to sink the ships?
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2007, 06:59:53 »

Greetings,
The sinking of a ship,is not realy my idea for the game.
However,accidents do happen,i want to see the result on mmy ship,when i hit something a bit to hard.
Like paint that has been gone,or the part where i hit the shipshull,turned into croupouk.
The sinking itself,i think it's not a part of the game,because you are suposed to steer the vessel,like a realy captain,and i can tell you,no captain wants to see his vessel goes down.
Regards
Marc
N

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2007, 07:13:07 »

That's o so treu, Marc. No Captian want's his ship to go down, and the very good ones will stay and try to save  the ship, when it does go down. I really don't like to think abaut it, what would happen, if the "Eemspoort" would gt run over by a seaship, or something... >:(

However, things like that do happen. And i agree, that there has to be viewable damage on the ships in the game, when you hit something, or when something hits you. Sinking is the very last thing that should happen, but in some cases it's not to be avoided.
m/s "Eemspoort"
1961, Hilgers A.G.-Rheinbröhl
76,2 x 8,20 x 2,72 mtr, 1085 ton
Deutz RBV 6 M 545, 800 HP @ 380 rpm
Daf KMD 250.2, 250 HP @ 1800 rpm, bowthruster

KDS

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2007, 11:41:51 »

I agree with most people here, I do not see the porpouse of sinking a ship no matter what the circumstances.
Ships are there to sail NOT SINK, I know it might sound like fun but it isn't. :-\
Best Regards
Kevin

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2007, 11:55:23 »

I agree. It should only sink when there is enough damage.

rvm3192

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2007, 03:37:35 »

That is wut I'm saying, but if there is too much damadge in one area it should sink in that general direction. Sinking a ship would be the last thing that should happen, scratches, dents that is wut should happen before sinking a ship
bon voyage! :)

KDS

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2007, 17:06:29 »

That is wut I'm saying, but if there is too much damadge in one area it should sink in that general direction. Sinking a ship would be the last thing that should happen, scratches, dents that is wut should happen before sinking a ship

I understand, I guess if it was an accidental mistake because of damage maybe, but I am still, hesitent.
Best Regards
Kevin

Ozy783

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2007, 19:25:38 »

Hi,
I've only just purchased Ship Simulator 2006 and already know how to sink a ship  ::) .
In one of the missions, container ship in New York, I was steaming along the channel. My view was from inside the wheelhouse. Suddenly the vessel started listing to starboard. Kept listing severely. I thought I'd been hit by another vessel so panned out to better view the surrounds. No other vessel in the area and my ship still listing. It then turned right over, only the bottom of the hull showing. Zoomed back in to hear if any survivors tapping from inside the hull.... Nothing. (Poseidon Adventure?  :D). Then started wondering what the hell knocked me over. Chart seemed okay. Then zoomed in on the chart. Lo and behold. There marked, was a submerged wreck.
Now, if you get the Titanic. Find that wreck in NY Harbour. Pretend it's an iceberg. And try to hit it.
Voila! Titanic 2.   

Do You Think The Sunken Vesil On The Demo Version?
Ship Simulator 2006 & Ship Simulator 2006: Official Addon
Ship Simulator 2008 & Ship Simulator New Horizons
Ship Simulator Extremes & All DLC

My PC:
AMD Athlon x4 630 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
4096MB RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 (Approx. Total Memory: 2423MB)

Maik

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2007, 19:52:36 »

Well the sinking of the ships, even the titanic wouldn't be a isue for me. But to actually recreate the entire accident of the titanic. NO WAY. That is a little bit to much.

But as mentioned before, to see damage on a ship when you do a faulty manouvere would be a big future for the game. It is a simulator after all.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2007, 23:21:23 »

Yes, I beleive the Titanic in the game should be able to sink but as far as recreating the actual sinking of it, or any other ship would be in bad taste.

I agree in principle. But, from an academic point of view it could be informative- would Titanic have sunk if it hit the ice burg straight on. Or an accident I saw when a ferry hit the berth in Calais (engine fault)- did the captain handle it the best way (in this case he did for certain actually)- how would we mere mortals have done it.

To put so much into the images of the ship disappearing below the waves is a bit silly, imho

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Maik

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2007, 19:51:04 »

I agree in principle. But, from an academic point of view it could be informative- would Titanic have sunk if it hit the ice burg straight on. Or an accident I saw when a ferry hit the berth in Calais (engine fault)- did the captain handle it the best way (in this case he did for certain actually)- how would we mere mortals have done it.

To put so much into the images of the ship disappearing below the waves is a bit silly, imho

Stu

A little on topic here but I ones saw on discovery, I tought, that when the Titanic should be steerd DIRECTLY at the iceberg. Only the front end would have been damaged and it probally would still be kept above the water (affloud??) because than there wasn't such a big gap in the side of the ship.

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2007, 22:42:57 »

A little on topic here but I ones saw on discovery, I tought, that when the Titanic should be steerd DIRECTLY at the iceberg. Only the front end would have been damaged and it probally would still be kept above the water (affloud??) because than there wasn't such a big gap in the side of the ship.

I agree, the Titanic's main problem was that so many compartments flooded so quickly, and the guys in the bridge didn't know the extent of the flooding so didn't close enough doors.  She was an incredibly tough ship, had she hit the iceberg head on then at most probably 2 compartments would have flooded.  She may even have been able to limp to New York, or another American port.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2007, 00:01:29 »

If I may make a point gentlemen...

I suspect that when the order was given to put the helm over that there was a hope of missing it altogether.

Luc, if I recall you had some interesting facts about the performance of rudders hard over at speed.

As Luc said, it is debatable whether ramming the iceburg would have saved the ship- there wasn't huge crumple zones like on a car.

Stuart
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2007, 13:54:29 »

It may not have saved the ship but it would have made the flooding easier to control, prolonging the time the Titanic had before she sank.  This would have given more time for the Carpathia to arrive and more people could have been saved.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 23:04:21 by Captain Davies »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2007, 21:44:04 »

I may not have saved the ship but it would have made the flooding easier to control, prolonging the time the Titanic had before she sank.  This would have given more time for the Carpathia to arrive and more people could have been saved.

Yes, but as said above. When they put the helm over they would have hoped to MISS the iceberg altogether. Sail past. Scot free. No incident. No accident.

Like the bloke who swerves his car to avoid a rabbit yet hits a lamp post. He didn't INTEND to hit the lamp post.

Stu

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2007, 23:08:08 »

Yes, but as said above. When they put the helm over they would have hoped to MISS the iceberg altogether. Sail past. Scot free. No incident. No accident.

Like the bloke who swerves his car to avoid a rabbit yet hits a lamp post. He didn't INTEND to hit the lamp post.

Stu

Oh yes, I'm quite sure everyone knows why the Captain did what he did, I certainly do.  I am merely hypothesising as to what, if anything, could have been done to save, or slow down the sinking of the Titanic.  I realise that the people on the bridge could not possibly have known that the iceberg was in fact bigger beneath the sea's surface.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines