Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 21:16:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: game controllers and stuff  (Read 16982 times)

AlexKall

• Forum member
Re: game controllers and stuff
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 10:02:56 »

Just ordered the saitek AV8R yesterday  :D

It's called "Joystick Saitek Aviator" in Sweden :)
[MPSS]AlexKall

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 13:55:01 »

if any of you are really super keen about these controllers or joysticks... have you seen this?

http://raildriver.com/products/shipdriver.php

i imagine it will cost quite alot based on the controller they sell for train sims.

Waow ... That seems to be a nice thing ! If the price is equivalent to the price of the train unit, that seems to stay affordable (Last year, Wilco was about to sell a ship control unit, but they finally forgave the project ... It was supposed to cost approximately twice the price of this one !!)

The wilco thing link  : http://www.wilcopub.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=prod_scu (this page is not reachable any more on wilco site - a site flight simmers usually know well -, but it's still reachable when you search 'ship control unit' with google.) . You can see the price : 399$, while the train control unit from raildriver is at 169, we can hope the ship control unit from raildriver will cost the same ...

Really a very good piece of news, thanks very much nhoj !!

The only think I would regret with this one is that do not have the possibility to control two rudders separately, and to control two thrusters (bow / aft) separately. That can probably be done with keys anyway ..
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 13:57:25 by Denis »

pedro1

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 18:08:51 »

In SS08 I am using my Logitech G25 steering wheel for Rudder with the paddle shifters for thrusters.  I also have my CH throttle Quadrant hooked up and have 2 axis dedicated to Engine 1 and engine 2.  the Crane is also controlled with my throttle quadrant which is far better than a keyboard/mouse.
I can now use multiple controllers for multiple functions controlling each engine independently and never have to touch the keyboard.

The controls in SS08 are light years beyond the controls in SS06...

Hi,

I'm very much interested in the above setup. Can you give  more informations about it as I'm not so keen with setting up the joysticks, wheels etc.

Thanks.

Capt. Marco
Capt. Marco

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 18:58:53 »

I use a gamepad, very similar to a play station controller, with 2 analogue sticks, a directional pad and 10 other buttons.

It is great for controlling the smaller boats etc. which respond very quickly to throttle and helm changes, but I prefer the keyboard for the bigger ships (sherpa upwards)

muns

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2007, 21:02:41 »

I am still activly developing a ship control unit that will be brought to market, I hope to update you all with details soon.......

Zero-gravitas

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2007, 00:33:59 »

This forum is exactly what I was looking for, so many thanks for showing me the best controllers.

jayhawk320

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2007, 02:23:24 »

i just got the game and only my keyboard and mouse works in the game...do i have to change a setting like in ss06? if i do where do i find that cuz i didnt come across it.

thanks

JoMach

• Dutch Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2007, 09:58:55 »

I use a steering wheel and a gamepad logitech and it works perfect ;D

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2007, 20:49:14 »

I have the same problem as jayhawk, just bought the game, and only my keyboard and mouse work..
How do I get the joystick to work  ??? I would like to try it sometime..( a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro)

jayhawk320

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2007, 23:01:03 »

salty dog i figured it out. instead of just choosing what your gonna use (mouse joystick etc) like in ss06, you actually have to set the commands yourself by going to options - controls - then under ship controls or crane controls double click on the command and move the joystick or press the button or whatever you know? well hope it helped

Osprey

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2007, 04:00:58 »

I am thinking of buying a wireless (USB) game pad controllor that has two joysticks, six programable buttons, and a 4 direction key pad..... the kind of thing used in many intense nintendo and type games.  Will these kind of things configure properly without a lot of fussing about?

- Richard +
- Richard +
(Osprey)

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2007, 17:29:36 »

thanks jayhawk, I had discovered that but it didn't work. Only after I downloaded the patch (1.1) the problem was solved. I take it that everything is ok at your end.. :)

joelski

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2007, 18:23:00 »

so the joystick is better, etc.?
But do you need 2 joysticks or only 1.
2 Joy's are usefull for crain operating, en about ship control,,, i dont know.
And i am talking about normal cheap (kinda cheap,) joysticks.
And does Amazon delivers products to the Netherlands?
Because i've calculated +- 20 pounds to euro, and its currently 28 euro's, i ve found this joystick that someone told it was like 20 pounds,
Here is the link, just look at the price (color = red) and the picture.
http://www.conrad.nl/goto/?product=956083
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 18:31:41 by joelski »
LJCommy - ThaLJ

jayhawk320

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2007, 02:55:27 »

yeah salty im all set...i just wish these controlers wernt so damn expensive lol and i had to download the patch too to get my programing to work so your not alone lol

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2007, 04:35:07 »

Glad to hear it jayhawk. I was ogling that Saitek joystick, it does look cool, especially the dual-throttle controls. But I do have some reservations about it. There don't appear to be that many buttons, only 4 and a trigger button. I also wonder about the throttle controls being in the back, with the stick sitting in front of them. It also doesn't seem to have a twist handle rudder, something I find very handy in ShipSim.
No, I think I'll stay with my Logitech Extreme 3D pro, the only con is its relatively small mono-throttle.
Check it out.. :)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 04:39:46 by saltydog »

jonno271

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2007, 20:12:01 »

In SS08 I am using my Logitech G25 steering wheel for Rudder with the paddle shifters for thrusters.  I also have my CH throttle Quadrant hooked up and have 2 axis dedicated to Engine 1 and engine 2.  the Crane is also controlled with my throttle quadrant which is far better than a keyboard/mouse.
I can now use multiple controllers for multiple functions controlling each engine independently and never have to touch the keyboard.

The controls in SS08 are light years beyond the controls in SS06...

I've got the CH Yoke for flight sim but couldn't seem to get it to work in SS08. How did you get your throttle quadrant etc. to work? Did you use CH Manager?

umytbnext

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2007, 03:34:47 »

that throttle quadrant thing is way 2 expensive there is no way i would wanna waste £149.98 on a stupid peice of plastic with some lever things on it   

Then don't!!!  That is your opinion!  There are those of us who DO enjoy using "some lever things".  I have about $1,500 wrapped up in my lever things too... but mine has a great deal of purpose. 

http://www.airliners.net/uf/view.file?id=536882006&filename=1191127122rBU5TJ.jpg

That's my setup.  My TQ is driven by FSUIPC, which is solely a flight sim addon at this point.  Perhaps someday there will be a way to utilize it for SS, but for now I'm happy with a combination of joystick / keyboard and mouse.

D r e w  :)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2007, 03:58:33 »

That's a great setup there! 

But.. where is your TrackIR??  heheh.. All that bling is nothing if your "head isn't in the game" !!!

;D  j/k, awesome hardware!

I'm more of a fighter jock. I make do with a Saitek X52.  Though I would love something like this. But hey, we can't all be on the same budget.

For shipsim I use both the throttle quadrant from my X52 (controls enigne, with thruster controls on the two rotary knobs) and my old Logitech wingman steering wheel. (with the pedals left off). I got a G-25 too but that's a bit too bulky to keep putting on and off the desk and is stuck to a racing rig I built.

As far as costs go, if you want a relatively cheap throttle quadrant, you can check out ebay, or see if they still sell the older Saitek HOTAS units like the X45, the throttle does fine plus you have a load of knobs and switches and several modes so enough axis for all the controls. They should be pretty cheap now, and you can find alot of cheap second hand steering wheels on ebay and the likes. Just a thought.

Joysticks, gamepads etc are handy, but with some levers and wheels it just gets more immersive. Well that's my 2 cents anyways.

Regards,

Fred

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2007, 05:15:41 »

A thing to consider is if your computer will accept non-USB controllers..Mine doesn't, so I had to get rid of my old js to buy one with usb.. ;)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2007, 05:45:47 »

Good point.

A lot of the "older" controllers that have a gameport plug come with an adapter though. I had those shipped with almost all of the old controllers I bought. (old ones, not the really really antiquated ones heh heh)

one of these:

They are a bit cheaper than a new joystick or w/e.  ;)

Fred

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2007, 08:08:42 »

I had tried that MadFred, it didn't work... :'(   I suspect it has to do with the configuration of the motherboard..
Maybe there is a way around it, I just went out and bought a new js. :)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2007, 09:32:45 »

Ah ok, well unfortunatly it indeed doesnt just work with any old stick or wheel or what have ya.., some just don't work like that.

But then I reckon it did not come with a converter when you bought it. Cause all that do will work like that and I don't think it has anything to do with the motherboard but with the wiring of the cable.

at least, i think so..

But anyways, I didnt mean to imply that you overlooked that or anything, I meant it as a general remark  :)  For those who didnt know...

Fred

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2007, 10:15:47 »

Thanks, I didn't mean anything by it either.. :D
Just got off the phone with the computer-shop, apparently the motherboard does allow one connection with an  "old style controller", but I would need a different sound-card. Hmmm, I'll have to think about it..I still have an old steering wheel controller lying around somewhere, it might be perfect for ShipSim..
Anyway, thanks for the response.. ;D
 Edited: I may have found a solution..a USB gameport-adapter meant to connect older gamecontrollers to newer computers.. It goes from 15-pins to USB..
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 13:01:25 by saltydog »

leomax

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2007, 04:45:42 »

hey PSOLK,how did you get ya CHquadrant to work the throttles
does it need special configering?in the root files I mean
tried through controller settings but didnt work
any suggestions?   using momo wheel and peddles for throtts at mo

VP of Marketing

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2009, 19:17:31 »

Waow ... That seems to be a nice thing ! If the price is equivalent to the price of the train unit, that seems to stay affordable (Last year, Wilco was about to sell a ship control unit, but they finally forgave the project ... It was supposed to cost approximately twice the price of this one !!)

Why does no one mention that this is PI Engineering. Every one always says this or that company. Say there name. Let them no how you feel. BTW the ShipDriver is pure garbage. There is a better one here that is out now.

http://www.simw.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_product_details&pid=2216
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines