Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 01:23:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: depth of water in Portsmouth Harbour.  (Read 22252 times)

TerryRussell

Re: depth of water in Portsmouth Harbour.
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2008, 08:13:11 »

PS I am now off to Portsmouth to meet up with a client. I shall try to stop off ang get a photo of the harbour and post it here this evening.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2008, 08:14:01 »

Have fun Terry, see you later ;) ;D
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2008, 12:51:20 »

DJM

Agree that is a great site but it is about 4000 miles away from the Portsmouth England that we are talking about!!! Just happens to be in the USofA!! :-[ :-[ :-[

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2008, 14:13:59 »

DJM

Agree that is a great site but it is about 4000 miles away from the Portsmouth England that we are talking about!!! Just happens to be in the USofA!! :-[ :-[ :-[

Whoops, Geography has never been my strong point ::) :-[

It doesn't help though when other Countries keep stealing our names :P :D

That last bit was a joke, just in case anyone thinks otherwise ;)

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2008, 16:28:28 »

Got confused myself went I went to Portsmouth NH last year and despite the fact that I was born in Portsmouth did not recognise the city and the harbour (including the depth of water) was not the same.

Had to add the bit about the depth otehrwise I might have been off topic!!

LOL

TerryRussell

« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2008, 16:59:22 »

Piccies as promised.

This one was taken from the north end of the Harbour. Port Solent is on the left. Portchester Castle can be seen on the right.

TerryRussell

« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2008, 17:01:16 »

These were taken from the North End of Portsmouth HArbour. You can see Millenium Tower in teh distance, centre of picture.

TerryRussell

« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2008, 17:05:24 »

This one was taken from the top of Portsdown Hill, next to the old cannons, looking down the Harbour, with Millenium tower in the cetre, far distance.

TerryRussell

« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2008, 17:06:35 »

This one was taken from the top of Portsdown Hill, next to the old cannons, looking westwards over Fareham Creek.

In the distance you can see the Solent (thin ribbon of silver water) and behind it, the Isle of Wight.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 17:08:11 by TerryRussell »

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2008, 13:24:44 »

Great pictures Terry, thanks for sharing ;D

Carl.

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2008, 14:26:27 »

Hi all :)

I was a bit sad to see this topic struggling to survive in a flood of off-topic posts. So I have cleaned the topic for the worst posts, and it should now be back to the lowest astronomical level of spam...  ;)

Regards
groennegaard

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2008, 17:36:12 »

(By worst, he means me  :o )

What IS the depth of the main channel (at low tide) coming into the naval dockyard. One thinks that those new aircraft carriers would have a hell of a job to get in (if the government ever builds them*)

Note: This was a question about the depth of water in Portsmouth harbour and not an opening comment in the ongoing debate about the Royal Navy.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2008, 17:43:28 »

Dredging work has already started on the approach channel to Portsmouth Harbour, even though the contarct for the carriers has not yet been awarded!!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2008, 18:02:51 »

Whilst I am not technically qualified on the subject, I understood that as the seabed was such soft, fine sand that it was virtually impossible for it unless it was subject to constant dredging.

As much as I prefer Portsmouth and it IS the home of the Royal Navy  :-[ I'm surprised these 'virtual' carriers aren't being planned for Davenport- as were the last big carriers.

IF it isn't TOO far off topic, one of the reasons claimed for the cancellation of the last 'proper' aircraft carriers (remember the Invincible class aren't really carriers at all) by the 1970s government was the cost of dredging in Portsmouth.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines