Hello Guest April 19, 2024, 21:04:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: depth of water in Portsmouth Harbour.  (Read 22203 times)

john morris

• Forum member
depth of water in Portsmouth Harbour.
« on: January 23, 2008, 16:42:14 »

It appears Portsmouth Harbour is silting up. The depth from the harbour entrance shows less than a metre in places though I know today there are ships with draughts of 5m sitting alongside  the commercial docks.
Could we please have a dredger added to the available ships.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: depth of water in Portsmouth Harbour.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 16:53:55 »

Hi :)

As far as I know, the water levels have been modelled at the lowest tide.  ;)

SA

ferryenthusiast

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 18:30:32 »

Even at the lowest tide, the ferries use the continental ferry port.  The berths are right down the far end of Portsmouth Harbour past the Naval Yard.  A quick check on a couple of ferries show an average of 6m to 6.50m.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 14:12:39 by ferryenthusiast »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 18:45:13 »

the Navel Yard. 

I wonder what ships are docked there...  ;D

HMS Umbilicus, HMS Tummy Button, HMS Lint Collector,  HMS Belly Orifice...   :P

Just kidding..  ;)

Fred

mvsmith

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 19:10:19 »

Nice one, Fred! ;D

boyho

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 21:03:13 »

HMS Salt Cellar....chips never tasted so good ::)

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 00:35:44 »

Not sure if this is now off-topic as the topic has moved onto "condiments I might like", but in another thread we figured out that Portsmouth Harbour has the water depths based on Chart Datum (which is about 1 metre below Mean Low Water Springs) and the land is based on Mean High Water Springs. That means that about 18 foot of water has been sliced off and the land sat on top of waht is left (in effect).

Neat trick!

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 03:54:42 »

Do we know for sure that the depth is measured at the lowest tide... ???

Because it has always been my aim to have the largest ship in the world added to the game.
"Jahre Viking" or the "Knock Nevis"
Rotterdam is one of two ports in the world deep enough to take it. :o

But it can only enter for 20min at high tide :-\

This could spell disaster for my dreem :(
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord

john morris

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 08:08:59 »

I have very vivid memories of watching HMS Vanguard leaving Portsmouth Harbour with a draught of 9.3M
  and sailing in and out of the harbour on the RFA Olynthus, drawing 11.9M. Given rise and fall of 2.5M. I think the depths in the sim need to be increased.

TerryRussell

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 20:12:11 »

Do we know for sure that the depth is measured at the lowest tide... ???

Because it has always been my aim to have the largest ship in the world added to the game.
"Jahre Viking" or the "Knock Nevis"
Rotterdam is one of two ports in the world deep enough to take it. :o

But it can only enter for 20min at high tide :-\

This could spell disaster for my dreem :(

Yes, as I say, it is modelled on an approximation of Chart Datum (about 1 metre below MLWS).

I live by the coast and often take one or other of my boats into Portsmouth, so I know it quite well.

NathanC

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 17:07:42 »

There is also a nasty sandbank at the enterance of Southampton, just before the oil refinery. 2 days ago we had a full scale rescue going on because of it......

TerryRussell

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 22:39:20 »

It's a famous one, called the Brambles.

At low tides there have been cricket matches played on it. It is marked by a prominent buoy and is shown very clearly on the maps.

In the summer, it can be quite entertaining to watch yachts run aground on it.  ;D

NathanC

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 07:17:00 »

Slightly to the left of Brambles, you still run into something which is what i meant

TerryRussell

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 10:14:05 »

If you zoom in using the SS08 maps, I think that shallow area is clearly shown. As with all banks, there will be ever-changing shallows in the area. In SS08 they don't change, though.

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 17:26:06 »

I agree with J Morris, have lived here all my life and you see constant mvement in and out of the harbour at all states of the tide. Ocean Star ran aground in the centre of the channel right by Fort Blockhouse, and then quite spectacularly leapt up in the air and was left hanging about 20m of the surface of the Haslar Wall!!

I think that VStep need to do some dredging. There does not seem to be the same problem of the container berths in Southampton :'( :'( :'( :'(

TerryRussell

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 17:42:49 »

Hi MH1.

Greetings from Selsey.

There does not seem to be the same problem of the container berths in Southampton

Yes there is. As explained above and several other threads, Vstep made a mistake when they constructed some of  the harbours. The water depth is at chart datum, while the land is at MHWS. This means that about 18 feet of water is missing. If you see it, please give it back.

The Hamble is at chart datum and I know Southampton is also incorrect. I keep a couple of boats in Chichester Marina and often go to Portsmouth and up the top of Southampton Water and in and out of the Hamble, Itchen and Test, etc.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 20:04:10 by TerryRussell »

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 17:49:05 »

Unfortunately it's almost the same at the more or less non-tidal-influenced harbour of Marseille. The whole area around the ferry terminals along the Quai Du Maroc is to shallow. This would be a nice destination for the PoR too, but it is really hard to manoeuvre and berth her there, where ferries with more draft are frequent guests.. ::)

Cheers
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 18:05:47 »

TR

Thanks for that, as John Morris mentioned above I also remember watching HMS Vanguard leave Pompey under tow and then go aground near the old Gosprt Chain Ferry slipway!

I don't suppose that VStep will do anything about it, they can't even seem to fix long outstanding issues like Missions which cannot be completed!!

Rgds

MH

TerryRussell

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 20:08:18 »

I don't suppose that VStep will do anything about it, they can't even seem to fix long outstanding issues like Missions which cannot be completed!!

Hi MH.

Actually, it isn't that long outstanding. It only went wrong for some missions when they issued V1.3. I believe that rather than fix the missions and risk them being incompatble with earlier versions (or possibly with later versions), they decided to leave as-is and press on with the next update. I suspect that V1.4 will fix the problems. Hopefully it won't be too far in the future.

Just have patience. I'm sure the forthcoming updates will be worth the wait. (it's only 7 or 8  weeks since the last set!).

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 16:39:08 »

Terry

The latest updates have been out for some time and VStep still haven't got a dredger into Portsmouth yet. Any thoughts on if and when they will correct this anomaly?

??? ??? ???

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 20:43:03 »

Hi MH1 :)

I am afraid that the lowest astronomical tide 'error' will not be corrected until the next release of SS, probably SS2009.

You are not the only one who find this error most unfortunate. It riles me that they spent time on modelling the nice oil pier at the Fawley terminal, but it is impossible to reach with the only tanker in the game...  :(

Regards
groennegaard

TerryRussell

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 20:45:28 »

Terry

The latest updates have been out for some time and VStep still haven't got a dredger into Portsmouth yet. Any thoughts on if and when they will correct this anomaly?

??? ??? ???

I don't know, but my guess is that it won't get fixed in Ship Sim 2008. My money is on them fixing it in the next version. But I have no secret information, just a shrewd idea.

They got Padstow done correctly. If you go across depths that are shown as 0, you actually have quite a bit of water underneath, so they have finally understood how charts work, it seems.  ;)

[edit] Hi groennegaard. I hit the send button the time as you!

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 21:51:39 »

[edit] Hi groennegaard. I hit the send button the time as you!

Hi Terry :) That's all right. :)

You better check your connection though. It seems like it took 2½ minute to upload your post...  ;D ;)

Regards
groennegaard

TerryRussell

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 22:48:48 »

2.5 minutes out of a lifetime. That's simultaneous!

Against the age of the universe, pffff...

Alex Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 08:10:09 »

You are not the only one who find this error most unfortunate. It riles me that they spent time on modelling the nice oil pier at the Fawley terminal, but it is impossible to reach with the only tanker in the game...  :(

Although I haven't managed it myself yet, I have seen a tanker up at Fawley once before.....

Took these pics a little while back as I was passing.

Maybe if you hit the invisible sand bank at top speed (as long as you hit it centrally so you stay straight) you can get over it and beyond it without damage?

-Alex
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines