Hello Guest April 25, 2024, 11:11:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: depth of water in Portsmouth Harbour.  (Read 22244 times)

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
Re: depth of water in Portsmouth Harbour.
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 17:51:16 »

Hi Alex :)

Nice pics. I'm not sure how he managed to get up there. I have made several attempts without any luck. Everytime I hit the bank and take damage.

However, I haven't made any attempts at full speed as I am used to a squat/draught increase the more I increase speed. But of course, SS doesn't take squat into accont, so maybe it's worth a try.

Regards
groennegaard.

TerryRussell

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 18:29:27 »

Yes, you can get a tanker up Southampton Water, but I don't think you can get close enough to moor up.

Vermaas just about manages it, though.

thassos

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2008, 12:53:06 »

Farbeit from me to accuse anyone of skullduggery but it is possible to place a static ship anywhere, take screepics and post them to bemuse the rest of us and even tempt us into trying to get a ship there.

I had the VLCC moored at the deepwater terminal but was unable to turn it to set off downstream.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 12:55:15 by thassos »
The right to speak does not include the right to be taken seriously.

Creator on Creators Forum

TerryRussell

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2008, 11:26:27 »

And to return to the plot, my boat is currently out of the water, while the drive shaft machanism is repaired. But in a couple of weeks it gets dropped back in.

At that stage, I plan to take a video recorder and film from the twin forts round to Portsmouth Harbour and perhaps along the length of the Solent. Is anyone interested in seeing the resulting video?

I'll show the depth sounder as we go around Portsmouth, as well!

There, back on track. Happier thread now?  :)

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2008, 11:33:58 »

That sounds fascinating Terry, I'd like to see the video if possible please :)
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

jemagnussen

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 11:46:20 »

Hi m8's,

Believe that the pics on first page of The Lattitude is from one of the test servers made briefly available for us (thank's Sadsid, Groennegaard and others for this). These servers have no damage activated, and therefore you can sail almost anywhere without problems, just run fast enough, and you will get over even a breakwater.

However - can't wait until Vstep makes an official Marseilles Server with same vessels as today + B2...  ;)

"MS Magnus"

Cpt. of "MS Magnus"

TerryRussell

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 15:42:29 »

That sounds fascinating Terry, I'd like to see the video if possible please :)

Most certainly. I'll send you the link when I have it available. Of course, the moment that the boat is ready, this wonderful weather will go sour...

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 20:22:28 »

Thanks Terry ;D

If the weather carries on like this, I will shrink by about 2 foot by the end of the summer :D

It's hot hot hot!!!!
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

TerryRussell

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 20:31:51 »

Thanks Terry ;D

If the weather carries on like this, I will shrink by about 2 foot by the end of the summer :D

It's hot hot hot!!!!

Just to make you jealous, we have a cool breeze blowing in from the shore. Front and back windows are open and it's wonderful! The good thing about being surrounded by sea is that it takes the edge off the heat and off the cold.

The bad thing is when the shingle is hurled up past the door.

As you know I was away last week. When I got back, the car was covered in fine sand, which blows up from the beach in hot weather.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 20:49:36 »

Hi Terry

I for one would always welcome seeing a video of the worlds finest harbour (or Portsmouth*)

*I just put that bit in before you did.

The Royal Navy flagship, HMS Marmite is based there you know.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

thassos

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2008, 21:40:42 »

the worlds finest harbour (or Portsmouth*)

Why not both? ;) ;)
The right to speak does not include the right to be taken seriously.

Creator on Creators Forum

TerryRussell

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2008, 22:37:50 »

'cos I haven't got enough fuel holding in the boat to get from Chichester Marina, round to Portsmouth and then across to the finest harbour in the world. My boat drinks about 1 gallon of 4 star petrol per mile...

At UK prices of about 6 pounds per gallon, filling up the 300 gallon tank is often accompanied by the sounds of me, crying.  :'(

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2008, 22:46:18 »

Terry,
Do you have a picture of your boat?
And i know that area also,specialy "wicor marine"portchester,at that time mister Dave wadington was the manager.
Marc
N

TerryRussell

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2008, 23:30:42 »

Hi Marc.

My son and I took a load of photos when we stripped out the engine and transmission and all of the seating and canopy a couple of years ago. We increased the fuel tanks significantly at that time.

I think he must have them somewhere. I'll ask him when I next see him, and post a couple in this thread.

It's an American "Classic" Winner 22ft (Hull - LOA is about 24ft). Open top. Volvo 360xi duo-prop. It's easy for one person to handle and very fast (up to about 60 kts).

I don't go up into Portsmouth very often, as  the boat is at Chichester. I do know the name of Dave Waddington but can't remember why, though,
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 23:39:03 by TerryRussell »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2008, 23:47:44 »

Nice boat!  ;D

I'm after a sunseeker myself.  ;D ;D Needs to be a marine diesel with nil fuel duty fuel.

60 kts is a fairly impressive speed. Well worth the fuel prices, methinks.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

TerryRussell

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2008, 00:01:48 »

Nice boat!  ;D

I'm after a sunseeker myself.  ;D ;D Needs to be a marine diesel with nil fuel duty fuel.

60 kts is a fairly impressive speed. Well worth the fuel prices, methinks.

No such thing as duty-free diesel now, though. I can hear the diesel lovers not starting their boats even more than they did previously.

As you say, I didn't get that boat and do it up to save money. I got it to play with it!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2008, 00:05:40 »

No such thing as duty-free diesel now, though.
Really?  :o I thought it was taxed the same as agricultural red diesel. Or is that taxed too now. Is the government really so desperate for cash?

As you say, I didn't get that boat and do it up to save money. I got it to play with it!
Fair play to you! Joking aside, I wanted to get another boat myself. But I live as far from the sea as you can get... (unless global warming/ rising sea levels are true)... I saw a nice RoRo for 3.5 million...  ;D

TerryRussell

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2008, 00:07:25 »

Really?  :o I thought it was taxed the same as agricultural red diesel. Or is that taxed too now. Is the government really so desperate for cash?

Yep, marine diesel is the same price as at a garage now. Farmers are OK, I think.

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2008, 00:11:56 »

this topic seems to have been hijacked by small talk!! Can't see what any of this has got to do with the depth of water in Portsmouth Harbour!!!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2008, 00:12:15 »

That is really shocking indeed... So it attracts full fuel duty.

This is not good. This is just not good at all.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2008, 00:13:09 »

this topic seems to have been hijacked by small talk!! Can't see what any of this has got to do with the depth of water in Portsmouth Harbour!!!

I think if a new topic was to be started every time something wandered a bit, there'd be thousands of topics springing up too often

TerryRussell

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2008, 06:31:32 »

Since we are discussing the cost of fuel when I take my boat into Portsmouth Harbour whilst filming the harbour and my depth gauge, I'd say this was precisely on topic. Wouldn't you?

Or did you not read the comments properly before you posted your criticism?

Feel free to post your appology below.  ;)

beechjetkid17

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2008, 06:35:47 »

I agree with Terry ;D it was precisely on topic :P

Dan

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2008, 09:38:57 »

Since we are discussing the cost of fuel when I take my boat into Portsmouth Harbour whilst filming the harbour and my depth gauge, I'd say this was precisely on topic. Wouldn't you?

Or did you not read the comments properly before you posted your criticism?

Feel free to post your appology below.  ;)

No apology is necessary from me!!! You should all apologise for filling a forum thread with unrelated trash. I don't comment on how much diesel it takes me to drive to look at Portsmouth Harbour in my car...................... Or how much effort it takes to walk/cycle there...............

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2008, 10:07:47 »

Then maybe you should start a thread Diesel consmuption of motor vessels and then go off topic and talk about water depths in Portsouths harbours.

Then we can make an un-necessary complaint about it, refuse to admit we're wrong and everyone is happy.

and I thought I was argumentative...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines