Hello Guest July 27, 2024, 14:55:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Very expensive  (Read 12073 times)

allie

• Forum member
Very expensive
« on: December 29, 2007, 21:55:16 »

Really feel bad buying this game/sim, really a lett down.

Theres more reallisme in "dangerous waters, silent hunter, U688i.

I mean whats the meaning of this ?

Wheres the radar/Arpa, SatNav, Realistic charts.......

Oh man, better MOD a first person shooter game into a ship simulator.

Just had take a look on reallisme at the old Jane's DOS games

I'm not sure 100% i think it was GATO... people will know.

Theres even free simulators out there written by student on the "zeevaartschool".

I really had to write this , i'm sorry , i was really dissapointed in this.

Greetings,
Alphons de Wild

Shipwreck

• Forum member
Re: Very expensive
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 21:57:56 »

its a good game it's just been released a few months and still have a few bugs but will be fixed soon , its called Ship Simulator because its a simulator on ships not shoot ship simulator , this isnt a shooting on boats simulator
Developer

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 21:58:05 »

radar works.....have you looked properly, updated the games?

This is the 2nd YEAR.   Look at the prpgress in that time.

SA

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 22:07:27 »

Hi allie :)

Welcome to the forum. All opinions are welcome here of course.

SS08 does miss the nav. equipment you mention but it takes time to implement it all. I'm sure we will have that in the next SS.

I don't think you can say that SS is very expensive. The price is far below the price of an average game.

Regards
groennegaard

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 23:35:58 »

The price is far below the price of an average game.

40 Euro's is not really far below the average price. Of course I don't know how much you pay for games in denmark but most new top notch games here, are about 40 to 50 Euro's, and usually pretty bug free and more complete, not to knock VSTEP, but that's just the truth. And a lot of them are even cheaper. I know in my game collection there are many more cheaper ones, but then, I usually wait a bit before I buy them. But it's not too expensive, I agree with that.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 01:26:50 »

Theres even free simulators out there written by student on the "zeevaartschool".

Greetings,
Alphons de Wild

Well the game company need to earn on something if they want this game to survive in a hard market.
It also cost a lot to develop these games. Some game companies are spending millions of dollars just on the development, publishing and marketing of a game. They don't grow on trees.

The same goes for this game. If VSTEP is going to make this ever growing wish-list for this game into real stuff we all need to pay for it. Personally I have no problem with the price. I would pay more just to see my wishes for this game become true if that what it takes.

And yeah I know about all the freebies out there who want it all free no matter what reason... ::)
They have 1000's of reasons for not paying for something..  :P

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 02:19:38 »

40 Euro's is not really far below the average price. Of course I don't know how much you pay for games in denmark but most new top notch games here, are about 40 to 50 Euro's, and usually pretty bug free and more complete, not to knock VSTEP, but that's just the truth. And a lot of them are even cheaper. I know in my game collection there are many more cheaper ones, but then, I usually wait a bit before I buy them.

I believe an average game here is 50-55€, SS is 40€. That is at least 20% less than a typical game, which I think is perceptible. But it wasn't my intention to discuss the price in details. My point was that I don't think it's fair to mark the game as 'very expensive'.

Regards
groennegaard

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 02:24:00 »

Well yeah ok, so we are lucky here that games are a bit cheaper..  the best titles are around 50 and most "average" games around 25 to 30.  But indeed, that was not the point.  :)

I agree with you though, SS is not "very expensive"!!

And most games you buy are done and will not be updated. This one will. Free upgrades have and will come around. More content will follow. It's still in development and that means it will only get better with time.

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 08:11:55 »

Yep,some people find always a reason to complaint.
Within the 2 years that the game had it's release,some of the wishes are already created.Offcource not all the wishes are made,but that would something impossible on the end,this game just needs to grown in time,than all the bugs and errors will be fixed.This takes time!
About the price,i thinks it's a fair trade,no matter what.If you see the price of some other games.
Marc
N

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 11:07:16 »

Well said :)

TerryRussell

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 13:18:20 »

I think you have to remember that this is not a "shoot 'em up" game, so it has a lot less sales than the big games against which it is being compared. It isn't intended to be that sort of game.

DISADVANTAGE:
Therefore, we pay a higher cost.
The game may have less features than the arcade games
Initially, the game may have more bugs that require ironing out
The game may never do some of the whizzy twirly things that others do

ADVANTAGE:
Each of us has a much louder voice than if we were dealing with Microsoft or EA Games, etc. (you have virtually or absolutely no voice with them).
You can directly influence how the game evolves.
This is a "community"
We can create our own missions
Maybe someday we can create our own ships
Maybe someday we can create our own environments

So, on balance, I think that the price is good and provided you stick with this for the medium term, it will get better and better and do the things that YOU want, if you want them enough.  :)

Tavares Junior

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 06:55:52 »

Greetings,
Alphons de Wild

Hi Allie,
Definitely your opinion is really different than mine.

SS 06 and or SS08 offers a good chance for the players to LEARN something about ships handling, instead to then put their life in risk into the sea and boring all the other sailors which needs to survive.
The price is nothing compared with such advantage offered by Messrs VSTEP to us.

You could enjoy the community (forum) and share opinions with all others users “Even find a new friend”

I could repeat to you what was already explained by Mr. Shipwreck, Mr. Shipaddic, Mr. Groennegaard, Mr. Mad_Fred, Mr. JHB, Mr. Marcstrat and Mr. Terry Russell. But I just kindly ask you to read what they wrote to you and then you just have to decide what really you want.

•   Just a small comments.
I have found good people here (On the forum) Good friends as all those gentleman’s mentioned above and many others more I will be happy to have all those good friend in my mind.

So,
You got more than a game with VSTEP. You got opportunity to participate in a community and find friends.

Sincerely I wish all the best.
Tot ziens Meneer.

Tavares Jr
** Open Sea - Radar observer - SMCP - GPS / Chart Plotters / Certifyed yatch Master

Brian Walker

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 11:30:54 »

I had no qualms about the price, and basically go along with what has been said before me.  However, i think it worth bareing in mind that the more one tries to make the simulator reflect a higher and higher realism, the computor needed to run it effectively will  have to keep pace.

How many people have we seen on these forums experiencing problems due to having inadequate processing power/memory, or not having the latest graphics card etc.  Those of us on restricted budgets are finding it very hard to keep pace with the processing demands of the latest software as it is.  I'm cool at the moment with Ship Sim.  Just hope the gremlins get sorted soon that's all.   Regards, Brian

mvsmith

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 13:41:05 »

Good morning, Brian:
That’s a very important point, usually never considered by those who ask for extra features not readily accommodated by the current design. Giving them their heart’s desire might result in a simulator that they, and many others, can’t play without purchasing a new computer.
Best regards,
Marty

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 14:24:32 »

Well well well...I don't wanna call this sim a very system demanding sim compared to FSX for example that now supports DX10. Ship Simulator isn't very system demanding compared to other new computer games on the market.

Those of you that find it so hard to get a system to run this game should either grow up and find yourself a job or start spending the money in a economic way to save them for a system that can run this game or work harder with your parents. ::)  You cannot get all in this world for free. And I'm really don't want to see a game that is going to support the computers back to 1990 or something like that.

I hope that Ship Simulator will be a game that supports small systems to highly powerful systems and the way to do that is to have a large system setting interface where the player can turn on and off options so he can make the game to run better with his system. It already have options for setting the graphics in the game and these options can become better and more customized than "pre-fabricated" solution.

For the game "Crysis" you have these settings for graphics: Low, Medium, High, Very High. So when you have a small not very powerful system you may only play it at low and cannot reach the Very High level until you upgrade your hardware. That just makes sense to me..  8)

I think it's a little too easy today to think it in the way "my system can run it all...". And it's easier to jump into this board and hold a long speech that your system cannot run Ship Simulator than actually save some money and upgrade it. Because saving money is a lot harder... for someone. And they probably have 1000s of reasons for that too. So the "dream scene" for someone is to see Ship Simulator as very low price (almost no price at all), and that can run on a computer from the 1990s. And it's not so simple to say that a computer game can support all kinds of hardware. It just doesn't work in that way. Some games require just 1-5 specified graphics cards that a game supports. And if your system don't have the specified graphic card you will get a message during installation that "this game doesn't support your graphic card".

Also the amount of customers that buy the game will have a influence on the price (I guess). ;)

Brian Walker

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 14:47:22 »

Me and my big mouth, eh Marty? *chuckle*.

TerryRussell

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 15:59:41 »

Me and my big mouth, eh Marty? *chuckle*.

Now look at what's you've started! You make sure you clear the blood away afterwards....  ;D

But, I have to agree with JHB (currently trying to look like his Idol DJM), in that SS08 is not shockingly demanding of a PC's abilities. It gives good "bang for the bucks" in my opinion.

But, as whether or not people should spend their money one way or another: none of my business (hint, hint).

And what's all this about computers from the 1990s? Did the sixties finish, then?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 16:01:15 by TerryRussell »

mvsmith

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 16:54:08 »

Where did I put the @#$% Band-Aids?
I didn’t mean that SS should remain crippled from the benefit of those with Sinclairs or TRS80s.
I was referring to things like fully simulated sub-surface with fishies, starfish, and submarines, which would make unnecessarily high demands, while departing from the primary purpose of SS.
While it’s true that some of the more demanding features could be made optional, that might be difficult to accomplish for others. Perhaps it might be necessary to have two versions of SS, one for high performance systems—with extra features, and one for systems that the masses can afford.
For me, the Windows emulator on my Cray seems adequate. ;D
Marty

TerryRussell

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 17:20:38 »

Hi Marty.

The price of high-end PC equipment is very low these days so I don't see that as the major obstacle. More likely, the fantastic rise in computing power will come to a ceiling very soon.

Intel are already stating that it won't be possible to get much more out of intgrated circuit technology, and they have no new technologies in reserve (or at least none that they admit to that seem likely).

At that point, I think the spotlight will fall on software folk to improve the effectiveness of their output. Programming in high-level languages is all very well, but it has a huge overhead in computing and memory requirements.

I still program Windows products in machine code, which is highly unusual, I gather. This makes for very small (tiny) programs which trundle along many times faster than a Visual Net or even C# equivalents. But, it takes lot longer for me to write the code.

Things to come, I believe.

Us Z80 Sinclair Machine Code programmers will rule once more. Tomoorrow the World. I am a Dalek. You must obey...

[Terry's Nurse here: we had to lock him up again for a while until the medicines kick in. Sorry for the interruption]

alazose

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 17:25:53 »

Hey Marty:

I know we're getting off-topic here, but what's a "Sinclair"?  I remember buying my first computer back in the late 70's and having to choose among a TRS80, Commodore 64, and Apple II Plus (I chose the latter) but I don't believe I ever heard of a Sinclair.  Must have been a short-lived beast.

As for complaints about our beloved Ship Simulator, there will always be detractors and nay-sayers berating the good things in life.  You can only let them rant and move on whilst the rest of us continue to enjoy a delightful cruise exploring the wonders of Phi Phi, Rotterdam, et. al.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 20:18:05 by alazose »

TerryRussell

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 17:28:00 »

Terry here!

In the States you knew them as "Timex". They were made under license from Sinclair.

TerryRussell

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 17:29:06 »

Strange you didn't ask what a "Dalek" is, though...

alazose

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 17:44:58 »

We dare not ask about the "Dalek".  There are some things in life that Man was not meant to know.  (Or could not care less about.)

TerryRussell

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 18:12:47 »

You'd care if you met one.

"Anyone can make a mistake!" said the Dalek as he got off the dustbin. - British Joke. Like Marmite, not intended for human consumption in the USA.

mvsmith

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 20:03:03 »

Now, Terry, the Z80 was quite a powerful process controller in its day, especially when programmed in Forth, for which it was a good match. I did a very large Elemental Analyzer with the Z80 and a floating point processor. It measured the percentage of Sulfur in bulk coal or oil by analyzing prompt gammas from thermal neutron capture.
Marty
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines