Hello Guest July 27, 2024, 15:34:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Very expensive  (Read 12074 times)

mvsmith

Re: Very expensive
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 20:11:34 »

Al, I never actually used a Sinclair. I just trot the name out to impress other geeks.

On the subject of “geek”; I wonder why they have eschewed “nerd” in favor of a word that, historically, meant a sideshow performer who bites the heads off live chickens.

TerryRussell

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 20:26:23 »

Al, I never actually used a Sinclair. I just trot the name out to impress other geeks.

On the subject of “geek”; I wonder why they have eschewed “nerd” in favor of a word that, historically, meant a sideshow performer who bites the heads off live chickens.

As prominent Geek & Nerd, I must protest at your false use of the word "Sinclair". Only true believers and those of who know that the Z80 instruction for "POP BC" is 127,201 are entitled to utter the name of Sir Clive.

Just don't mention the C5.

TerryRussell

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 20:30:42 »

And if you were a REAL geek, like me, you'd know that you can see the ZX80 at
http://computermuseum.50megs.com/brands/zx80.htm
and the ZX81 at
http://computermuseum.50megs.com/brands/zx81.htm
and the Spectrum at
http://computermuseum.50megs.com/brands/zxspectrum.htm

Top that!  8)

TerryRussell

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 20:32:19 »

Now, where are those chickens?

Here birdie, birdie...... ;D

mvsmith

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 18:18:38 »

Terry,
It might be viable to bring back the Timex computer brand.
I’m sure many folk wish they’d had a laptop that “Takes a lickin’ and keeps on tickin’”. :)

alazose

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 20:11:04 »

Marty - You didn't use a Sinclair?  What a letdown.  I'm glad Terry is still a true believer, otherwise how would we know that the Z80 instruction for POP BC is 127,201?  (Actually, it's 127,202, but who's counting?)

I'll bet the guy who started this thread feels completely vindicated by now.

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 20:46:12 »

TerryRussell

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 21:41:30 »

Hello,
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/195/19571.html
is it not 193?
Luc

Only if you're speaking in Hex, which I'm not. {he he]. You didn't think I could accurately recall it after twenty years, did you?

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008, 22:22:52 »

Well, I remember some (few) useless numbers of 50 years ago, but I cannot even remember relatively recent (and useless too) 8051 assembler mnemonics. But no, I had no doubt (like a certain PM) until alazose doubted the number.
Now, "127, 201" is it not ESC C9 or something like that. What relation does it have with the opcode C1?
I never had such a very expensive system based on a Z80, just had a look at it for its PIO, when it became affordable....
Luc

TerryRussell

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2008, 22:57:10 »

Hi Luc.

Actually, I plucked the numbers out for the wrong processor! My bad.... I was looking in the bookcase behind me for the Z80 manual and couldn't find it, so I guessed but got an old 4-bit processor code set in my head instead.

I still possess the Z80 (Zilog) Manaual and I still use from time to time when a problem get sescalated to me - not often as I'm very expensive! - but just before Christmas, I moved that manual to another floor in the building becuase I haven't needed it in five years or more. Now what are the chances of that?

I always liked the Z80 code set. Most of it was single byte, but there were certain sequnces which went into two or in some cases four bytes.  Since this conversation started, I have just been up to the top floor and pulled an old ZX80 out of the box. It fired up right away. Boot time < 1 second!  If only Windows would...

Then I got out the ZX81 and have just played a game of Mazogs on it. Wonderful stuff.

16K of memory -luxury. 64K - Wow, there's no way I can ever fill that up with code.

And now back to Windows Machine Code:
PUSH 0
CALL GetModuleHandleA@4
MOV [HINST], EAX
PUSH 0
PUSH OFFSET WINDPROC
PUSH [HINST]
CALL DialogBoxParamA@20
CMP EAX, -1
JNE KOL

And good night, everyone!

Locutus-Mouse

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2008, 23:36:17 »

Ah the ZX81 - my first computer, 1K of memory, no colour, no sound, touch sensitive keyboard, programmes on audio tapes. I had the memory expansion kit that took it to 16K!

I have a USB watch with more memory today! Ah the 'good old days!'

I also had a friend at school who had a C5
Don't mess with the best! 'Cos the best don't mess!

I trust everyone, it's the devil inside them I don't!  

TerryRussell

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2008, 23:40:03 »

My condolencies regarding your school friend. No human being should ever have to admit to knowing anyone who bought a C5.

This Christmas my wife gave me a watch which consists of a set of blue leds which show the time in terms of being lit or not. She said that I would now have something that would really communicate with me. I could tell the time with it as soon as I put it on my wrist. It's now an old friend!

Locutus-Mouse

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2008, 23:43:52 »

He looked are right (fill in your own word) arriving at school in it!

TerryRussell

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2008, 00:01:58 »

If I hadn't already been too old and fat to get in one, who knows? It could have been me.

Oh dear!

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2008, 00:03:58 »

My condolencies regarding your school friend. No human being should ever have to admit to knowing anyone who bought a C5.

I'd rather have a BMX (which I did ;)).  They may take more leg power, but at least they had street cred :D
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

TerryRussell

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2008, 00:26:46 »

BMX? New fangled contraptions!

What's wrong with a good old Penny-Farthing?

mvsmith

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2008, 00:48:56 »

I was about to take this thread in the direction of discussing the significance of the Penny-Farthing in “The Prisoner”, but instead I’ll inform you that one of the more interesting sports here in Oregon is mountain unicycling.
Marty

TerryRussell

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2008, 11:03:08 »

Oregon? I know it well. One of my wife's Aunts and her cousins live there, and I have an old friend who married a man in Oregon and moved out there many years ago. She still lives there, 20 years after she divorced him and we see each other quite often.

Plus, the parent company of one of my clients is based in Oregon and I visit them a couple of times each year, just to frighten them.  ;D

Mountain Unicycling? I'v eheard of that, but never done it (so far...)

Now, if that could be combined with the sport of Extreme Ironing, then we'd have a world-class lunatic sport in which people unicycle up mountains and do their ironing while balancing on a precipitous ledge. Extreme Unicycle Mountain Ironing - WOW!

mvsmith

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2008, 12:19:25 »

White Water river surfing is another popular sport here, along with ocean kayaking.

TerryRussell

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2008, 21:10:35 »

A number of people around these parts do  ocean kayaking, or "suicide mission" as the locals call it. It always seems to me that a kayak is just waiting foir a chance to throw you upside down

Extreme Unicycle Mountain Ironing - now that's my new sport! To unicylce up to the top of Ben Nevis and do my ironing while sat on the unicycle, balanced on a ledge.

Locutus-Mouse

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2008, 22:41:37 »

As I live in the shadow of Ben Nevis and I'm day off work tomorrow, I think I shall take a wheel of my mountain bike, tuck the ironing board under my arm and give it a try!

Stand by for the report if I survive  ;D

TerryRussell

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2008, 22:57:40 »

I'll check the obituaries and listen to the news with interest!

How about Extreme Ocen Kayak Ironing? That is, going out in a Kayak in the English Channel (Straights of Dover being best) in a Force 8 or above and then doing the ironing?

Locutus-Mouse

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2008, 13:50:00 »

Good news! I survived!!!

The other half took this picture if you look hard enough you can just see me half way down   ;D

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2008, 15:24:36 »

Ow, good old memories... I've climbed this beauty as well, 2 years ago. The top of the mountain was in the clouds as usual, but that made it even more special.
Wout

TerryRussell

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2008, 00:12:22 »

Good news! I survived!!!

The other half took this picture if you look hard enough you can just see me half way down   ;D

Yeah, but look at the creases in that shirt! The judging committee have decided to knock 10 points off your score for that.

Ow, good old memories... I've climbed this beauty as well, 2 years ago. The top of the mountain was in the clouds as usual, but that made it even more special.

But did you go up on a unicycle and do your ironing? It doesn't count if not!  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines