Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 11:40:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Witch is better

Bismark
- 1 (11.1%)
Titanic
- 5 (55.6%)
Both
- 3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: July 10, 2007, 22:01:18

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bismark or Titanic  (Read 32636 times)

chris13

• Forum member
Re: Bismark or Titanic
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 08:24:53 »

Hey  Ship Sim  ;)

That's the nice movie about the Bismarck!!

Thank you

Chris

Il y a trois sortes d'êtres : les vivants, les morts et les marins.

Ship Sim

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 17:17:50 »

Yea you can find almost anything on You Tube. ;) and your welcome.

[SJ]Stein

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 09:42:29 »

I agree with you on that. (see my above post about realistic war films) But I imagine it would be set as the USS Hood, not HMS hood. No one wants to buy british films now.

Stu

Grinn.. you have no clue what sort of icon the HMS Hood was in it's day?   ;)

True . . .  Watch Das Boot the Directors Cut - OH MAN!! It get's intense.
Well.. to be honest.. i stumbled on the miniseries of Das Boot... 3 episodes, each about 1.5 hrs to 1hr 45 mins... the story is told alot better then the cuttings and pasting of the directors cut, i've now seen the whole picture and the part where they freak out because they are too far off a convoi gets played out better, the boredom of waiting, which occupied around 95% of theyre time as well. So sorry, but my tip of the day is: Das Boot Mini  (series)  Dont think you'll find it in stores though...
Oh.. and i've read the book 3 times... all 514 pages..(in the dutch version as i can recall)
And Das Boot is U96... they even had the warf in Hamburg build 2 u-boats for that movie, last build of one they had was in 1945 probably and there comes this moviemaker back in the 1980's asking if they still had the plans and could build him a couple.. lol... one was used for interior shots, the other one for realistic diving and surfacing and "probably" the patrolscenes.

Now, getting back to Bismark - they do need an awesome, new Bismark film . . . Especially where she slugs it out with the Hood. It would be fantasic to see the old Hood on the big screen.
Certainly the most quoted so far AriesDW....

indeed it would be fantastic for the Hood to see the light of day again, awsome... yet if it's the fightscene, she certainly wont be on there too long.
Overdramatising will probably happen, and twisting the truth a bit as well... but i'm not really sure the boxoffices can fill when there's too much realism.... it's all about profits these days.. shame really.

But.. i'd vote Bismark, as the story on the titanic has already been told (and overacted)... the toughness of the bismarck is what intriqued me, she took sooo many shells before she finally rolled over, yet the crew still reported they scuttled her... imagine that.. no icebergs around eh?  ;)

my $0.02

Anyways.. good readingmaterial guys, Good thread!

Regards,

Frankestein
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 09:55:35 by [SJ]Stein »

chris13

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2008, 21:52:14 »

hello Ship SIM   ;)

Yes I see, but the movie about the Brismarck is realy excellent and you can see how the battle takes place!!
And I learned new things about this battles.

Regards,

Chris

Il y a trois sortes d'êtres : les vivants, les morts et les marins.

barrown1990

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 02:41:18 »

Not to mention ugly and weaker than the Bismark class. :p The germans cannot design appealing ships, to be honest. HA HA! Schoernhorst was a force to be reckoned with, though, for sure. They were brilliant with how they were able to hide the Tirpitz and make her so imposing yet she hardly did anything.

i know this is an old topic but i just like to say that i thought the germans designed some of the best ships of ww2
"take her to sea m murdoch. lets strech her legs!"

larsdehaan

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 14:30:51 »

no no no guys... you are all wrong

uss Dakota

barrown1990

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 17:42:41 »

no no no guys... you are all wrong

uss Dakota
what about it? its a shed compared to the germans, though a palace compared to japaniese ships i admit

larsdehaan

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 18:56:50 »

what about it? its a shed compared to the germans, though a palace compared to japaniese ships i admit
not germans but nazis btw the bismark was sunk by the slowest aircraft the royal navy had.... The fairey Swordfish

barrown1990

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2011, 20:23:04 »

not germans but nazis btw the bismark was sunk by the slowest aircraft the royal navy had.... The fairey Swordfish
no ship is invincible. im just saying the geman ships looked betyter thats all.

in bismarck's case  the plane had a lucky shot on the rudder, the british ships all but destroyed the superstructure but inthe end the bismarck was scuttled by her own crew

barrown1990

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 23:06:02 »

in my opinion any ship that takes on 2 of the best ships the royal navy had (hood and prince of wales) and destroys 1 and cripples the other within 5 minutes is a very powerful ship which means no-one in their right mind would question the fact that bismarck was one of the greatest battleships ever built

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 23:14:48 »

too bad she was with the bad guys.

if otherwise, WWII would have been won earlier.

btw, i'm not saying the germans were bad, i'm saying the nazis were bad. even back then there was a difference.
Today's weather:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Not to sound cliched, but what a long, strange, trip it's been.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 12:42:54 »

Oh really? When correcting someone, be sure to be correct yourself. After being chased by A squadron under Adm. Tovey (and being lost due to naval intelligence in Britain making a mathematical error) she was intercepted by the Swordfish from the Ark' and her rudder damaged.

The actual sinking was some 10 or so hours later and it is debatable whether the Bismarck was scuttled or sunk by shells from the Battleship HMS Rodney.

The wikipedia article is quite impressively accurate for once.

An interesting point here for armchair Admirals with 20/20 hindsight is that the Royal Navy was instructed to keep firing until the ship was obviously beyond salvage. There were even reputedly calls from RN ships to cease fire and take onboard survivors but this was vetoed by Adm. Tovey on the grounds that the ship MUST be sunk- indeed this proved to be a good course of action as even when virtually a hulk, the crew of Bismarck managed a few well placed salvos into the fleet- yet their ship went down with the Kriegsmarine flag flying, thus never surrendering.

Unfortunately, due to the risk of very bad tempered U boat commanders in the area, the rescue operation was ceased and the crew of Bismarck left to drown. Not the highlight of RN history, but that's easy to say from the comfort of my office in peacetime 2011.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2011, 12:49:32 »

Barrown1990, Hood would have survived that salvo had the RN completed the deck armour that was planned for Hood.

Indeed, the weaponery, speed and range that Bismarck posessed has assigned it a everlasting page in the history of naval warfare.

However, both Hood and Bismarck had their respective weaknesses. Had Hood completed its turn during the attack it would have survived and the two flagships of the respective NAvies would have been well matched for a fight out.

Would be a hell of a thing to have seen one of these monsters of the sea.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

barrown1990

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 22:58:54 »

Barrown1990, Hood would have survived that salvo had the RN completed the deck armour that was planned for Hood.

Indeed, the weaponery, speed and range that Bismarck posessed has assigned it a everlasting page in the history of naval warfare.

However, both Hood and Bismarck had their respective weaknesses. Had Hood completed its turn during the attack it would have survived and the two flagships of the respective NAvies would have been well matched for a fight out.

Would be a hell of a thing to have seen one of these monsters of the sea.

dont accuse me of sideing with the germans but at the range they were shooting at each other hood didnt stand a chance. hood's deck armour was to thin to survive the plunging fire from bismarck. sooner or later it would have been hit in a vital area.

in the end even the battleships couldnt sink her. i beleive she was scuttled

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2011, 17:10:45 »

dont accuse me of sideing with the germans but at the range they were shooting at each other hood didnt stand a chance. hood's deck armour was to thin to survive the plunging fire from bismarck. sooner or later it would have been hit in a vital area.

Are you on tablets, barrown1990? Or are you simply a bit dense?

Did you bother to READ any of the articles on these ships? The wikipedia article on hunt for Bismarck is actually quite accurate and well worth the read.

Now, tell me oh wise one, what range were they fighting at? Do you even know?

Tell me, why did Hood not stand a chance? For the very reason of poor deck armour- as I had already pointed out. However, Hood was due for refit to address this problem- albeit too late.

"sooner or later it would have been hit in a vital area."
You can say the same of ANY warship!

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2011, 23:33:32 »

It wasn't the armour that was the issue, it was the fact that the proceedures for ammunition handling weren't being followed. As a result, there was a explosion and fire which set the main magazine off. once that had gone up, the hood had no chance.
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines