Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 00:39:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New P&O Ship 'Britannia'  (Read 37434 times)

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
Re: New P&O Ship 'Britannia'
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2014, 00:21:25 »

My two pennies worth here...

I highly doubt that there will be any changes made to the Union Flag if Scotland were to leave (which again, I highly doubt). The original composition of the flag was without the four red bands in each corner, and these were later added to represent Ireland in the Union.

Obviously, Ireland became a Free State in 1922 and the flag was not altered. Although granted, the UK still has several Northern Irish Counties, these were not actually specified by Britain in the Anglo-Irish treaty, but instead those counties exercised their right under the treaty to remain British. So, in actuality, if they had decided to remain as part of the Irish Free State the Union Flag would still not have been altered, as the Crown had given the entire island of Ireland the opportunity for independent rule.

Anyway...enough politics :lol:. I have mixed opinions on the new livery. In my eyes P&O were like Cunard in that they maintained an apparent level of "quality", but I cannot help but look at this new livery with a feeling that it has the typical tacky "cruise ship" air about it. Granted, you'd be a fool to think that any cruise ship company is of the same quality as was such with the ocean liner days of Cunard and the White Star, but at least it "appeared" that way with the old livery.

Kind Regards,
Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2014, 19:15:35 »

I have mixed opinions on the new livery. In my eyes P&O were like Cunard in that they maintained an apparent level of "quality", but I cannot help but look at this new livery with a feeling that it has the typical tacky "cruise ship" air about it. Granted, you'd be a fool to think that any cruise ship company is of the same quality as was such with the ocean liner days of Cunard and the White Star, but at least it "appeared" that way with the old livery.

My personal opinion is that they should have kept the buff funnels, as that + the flags wouldn't have looked too bad, but the new funnels do look a little tacky to be honest...

DanielH

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2014, 18:21:26 »

I actually found that abit funny because Cunards first ever ship was called Britannia.

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2014, 15:39:33 »

The now completed livery...

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2014, 20:30:05 »

The now completed livery...

They were lucky with the referendum  :doh:
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2014, 21:45:45 »

The were, but I think now that it looks awesome :)

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2015, 23:10:04 »

Out on the open sea:

What do you guys think of the finished product?  :)

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2015, 09:11:18 »

Looks pretty neat I think. A lot better than the production renders.
I like the paint scheme as well. Slick and not too over the top.

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2015, 09:56:52 »

A lot better than the production renders.

That's what I thought :)

One I forgot to post here:

Aurora after her December refit...I'm not sure if I preffered it before... :-\ She was so elegant in my eyes!

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2015, 09:37:20 »

So are P&O rebranding all of there ships with the silly union jack thing and those horrible blue funnels?

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2015, 10:12:26 »

So are P&O rebranding all of there ships with the silly union jack thing and those horrible blue funnels?

Yep! :doh:

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2015, 18:07:00 »

And its here! Two years, a host of changes from the original design but finally its in its natural place - Southampton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX8NvcecrBw

:2thumbs:

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2015, 05:50:05 »

Funny how cruise ships nowadays resemble livestock carriers.. ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 06:15:30 by saltydog »

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2015, 09:47:22 »

Everyone wants balconies, that's the issue. I don't think Britannia has any onside cabins at all actually.  ;D

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2015, 05:07:59 »

It reminds me of a story about a passenger who complained his cabin did not have a sea-view..
 They were still docked.. :doh:

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2015, 09:13:39 »

I somehow can imagine multiple people having complained for that.  :P

The loads of balconies does influence the exterior immensely. But perfectly understandable once you see what's inside.
Take Norwegian Epic. The exterior is as ugly as it can get, but oh man I wish I could get onboard that ship in one of those Spa cabins.  ;D

I guess in 50 years ships like this will be looked at as beautiful compared to the then new design. Back in Titanic's era, loads of people despised the huge ocean liners' design that suddenly popped up everywhere as they were mostly used to sailing vessels. Nowadays we look back at those steam ships as beautiful vessels.  :P

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2015, 11:51:43 »

Funny how cruise ships nowadays resemble livestock carriers.. ;D

That is because it is EXACTLY what they are. :evil: Talking cargo? Even the sheep and cattle do not do that, just stink rather badly.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2015, 07:59:53 »

Never mind the stink of cattle, just watched a documentary that cruise ships create quite a lot of air pollution through their funnels. Be it in Venice or Norway or anywhere..

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2015, 08:44:52 »

Well I doubt if these run on solar power:  :P

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2015, 10:12:33 »

Apparently they have started fitting exhaust scrubbers, but yes, with engines as large as that there is always going to be some pollution  :P

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2015, 23:25:24 »

A shore-to-ship power supply would be helpful, so the ship doesn't need to run her engines all the time she is in port..
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:57:54 by saltydog »

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2015, 10:23:21 »

I think thats already been implemented in some places, say Rotterdam -

http://www.greenport.com/news101/europe/shore-based-power-for-rotterdam

I also saw something about an LNG Generator thart powered ships in port, that seems a good idea as then you can move it between berths and ships.  :)

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2015, 21:24:50 »

In European ports ships are only allowed to burn fuels with very low sulphur content which greatly reduces the type of air pollution which causes acid rain, as a side effect these fuels also tend to be lower in other elements which cause different types of pollution.

The process of connecting to a shore supply while in port is OK so long as the supply can be synchronised to the ship's supply without the need for the ship to "black out" on every arrival and departure.  A portable LNG generator is OK for cargo ships, but the electrical load on a modern cruise ship is immense and the transfer of that kind of power to shore generators would not be an easy task.

The other issue is that while LNG is cleaner than even the ultra low sulphur fuels that ship's are now burning, it still produces CO2 so although it may be slightly less polluting it is not some sort of miracle answer to the problem of air pollution caused by ships.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines