Hello Guest July 27, 2024, 00:36:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: virtual sea network  (Read 22164 times)

afik_t_king

• Forum member
virtual sea network
« on: October 05, 2007, 23:10:03 »

Dear SS08 Forum members.
My name is Afik, and me and my friend started a big project in Ship Simulator.

If you know the following, please contact me: programming and web systems, software development (that work with SS08), website management/hosting, real life sailing/shipping/seamanship knowledge.

You can contact me by PM or personal with ICQ/MSN and so...

I'm sorry but I can't detail about the project, because it's currectly under development, and we don't want to publish information about it this time.

If you know something from this subjects, please contact me as soon as possible, and you will get more information.

Thanks,
Afik.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 15:38:48 by afik_t_king »

J3nsen

• Forum member
Re: I'm looking for you!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 00:04:27 »

Is it a ship!? Map?? Don't need more info than that :P hehe! Mabye i have something to wait for :)<3

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 00:34:51 »

It sounds like some reverse engineering is going on here. Or is this a new division of VSTEP?

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 00:50:12 »

hmmm  ???

afik_t_king

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 07:38:36 »

It's not a new ship or addon.
I can say anything more then that. You can say it's a new division, but something alot bigger!

More information will be publish after the new version of SS will be released.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 08:45:23 »

Hmmm. I'm getting weird vibes. Division bigger than VSTEP? Don't do them out of busuiness.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 09:01:38 »

Something bigger than VSTEP...?
Something bigger than Ship Simulator?

Lol...This must be huge….Are you inviting the whole Hollywood for this major thingy or what? :D

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 09:02:15 »

He doesn't seem to have a website...

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 09:06:58 »

Greetings,
Huge project,but we need to know more,please explain.
Or make contact to Vstep,if it's that big,however we must be able to get info from your project.
Kind regards
Marc
N

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 09:08:00 »

Yes huge project and you don't tell us about.

afik_t_king

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 09:38:42 »

Ok, let's tell you about this project.

The project that I'm now beginning, is a Virtual Sea Network.
I can explain alot about it, but for example, it will be the VATSIM (Flight Simulator) of Ship Simulator. A SS multiplayer server that will run 24/7 and people can register to the network, sail, and gain "Sailing hours".

We want to make a big network for the next version of SS (that will be of course with multiplayer), that people can register, and sail at the network.
But it won't be like just a server. First of all, there will be a systems, that sailors can send sail reports, and earn "sail hours", and move up in the rank structure.
But it won't be like anyone can connect as tugboat, or pilot, or whatever. Anybody who want to be a port controller, tugboat, or pilot, must pass an exam.
Also we use a communication server that there will be main port channel (for example New York Port), and sub-channels like real world with Distress, Safety and Calling channel, Port Operation, Intership channel, and so...
And I thought to make a small program that will work with SS, that sailors can switch channels from the simulator, and report sailing hours automatically. For that, we need more people.

This is the main idea. We want to make this a professional and big network, that it won't be a playground. Everybody will use real life procedures and communications, for the most realistic sailing experience.

I'm starting to build a website, recourses, communication server, forum, and system. But of course that we need more people that help to make this network successful. From the technical people, to the staff members, everyone can help.

I've contact some admins in the forum, and I wanted to contact Vstep as well.
Now I'm just starting the basic things of the network, like forum, website, and so long, until the new version of SS will be released, and then we can start working on the other things.

So what do you thing about this project, do you think it will work?
And of course, who want to join.

Jackal

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 09:51:47 »

Looks really like Vatsim  ;D
Nice idea, but shouldn't we wait to see how multiplayer will work in SS08? I mean, some games can be used in multiplayer but they have some dedicated server, which I think it's what VStep wanted to do. To fly on Vatsim, which is a free network, you use a specific program (Squawkbox or FSInn), which took months or even years (!) to be completed... so I suppose it should be the same for this new network... In conclusion, very nice idea, but I think we should know something more about SS08 multiplayer; at the moment, we don't even know IF it will be possible to use multiplayer on another network different from VSTEP's server, do we?
Ciao,

Corrado

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
Re: SS08 Project
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 09:54:15 »

Greetings,
I hope you let Vstep also know of your project,maybe it's best to waith if there are interested to.Because you will need ships,scenery,and alot more of this.
So,if there are not interested,i think you'll get stuck,unless you have somuch money to provide als these things.
How do you see the register,is it like WoW,that members have to pay to get on this system.
The idea is not bad,but i think it's big,to big,unless you have a company.
For the ships from Vstep,i'm very sure,that they are property of Vstep(copyrights),the same with the scenery.
It's to bad that you give not much of info,it seems like top-secret,which is not the right way to promote your idea.
My advice,waith untill you got a message of Vstep.
Kind Regards
Marc
N

afik_t_king

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 09:59:02 »

The registration to the system will be free. It's not so fancy system, with gagets and all, it's just a simple system that sailors can fill the report form, with their sail hours, and by doing that they earning sailing hours, and move up in the rank structure.

I didn't understand what did you mean about scenery and ships. We aren't using SS ships/scenery as ours, the sailors are using SS and the ships that are included.

If Vstep will release a server software as well, I have a server computer that can run an SS server, and communication server. And believe me, with a little bit of creativity, it's not costing alot of money.

I said in the early message, that's now it's just the idea level, and the basics like website and forum. When the multi version will be released, we will see how it will go there.
If there will be one big server, we can be like a big VA.
The software like squakbox it's just an idea, but we mainly use a web system that sailors can report thier sails. And the system, forum, and communication server are ready.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 10:02:06 by afik_t_king »

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 10:03:52 »

Hiya :)

It seems to me that this is basically a gaming clan, with a few added extra's :)

Maybe you should start promoting it as such, rather than promoting it as a big idea ;)

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

afik_t_king

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 10:11:52 »

The main subject of this topic, is to find people that not have to be a programmers, or something like that, it can be also people that have knowledge about real life sailing.

I thing in the end, it will be like a big gaming clan for SS, but I don't want that to be like that.
I want that sailors will need to pass exams for be tugboats, pilots, and port controller, and that a person cannot just sail anywhere he want, and how he want, he will need to get clearance from the port control for example.

Also about the system, many VA (virtual airlines) for example, doesn't have software that connected to the simulator, and record the flight. The members are login in to the system, fill a report form, and send it.

But again, now I'm just starting to build the basic things of this, and for now, I'm calling it VSN (Virtual Sea Network).
I'm now just looking for people with knowledge in sailing/shipping/seamant, that will be on the staff, and help. Also I want to put in the site port information, and recourses about real sailing and seamant. So if anybody can find some of this things, it will be great.
And again, right now I'm just building the basics, and after the new version will be released, I can work on the other things.

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 12:41:26 »

This is a lovely project! <3 More realistic, more fun and skills wid the game! <3 Can't waint!  ;D

afik_t_king

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 12:50:31 »

Thank you.
The forum, and the system are ready, and now I'm working on the website.

If anyone have good knowledge on sailing, but in realistic way, please contact me.
We are looking for staff members.

afik_t_king

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 16:36:22 »

Sorry about the double post.

By the way, anybody know if Vstep will release a server software with the new version, or it will be one big server?

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 16:48:24 »

Great idea! Just the passing exam bit worries me...

Otherwise this is really good. :)

afik_t_king

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 17:34:46 »

Great idea! Just the passing exam bit worries me...

Otherwise this is really good. :)
Don't worry, we didn't get to this issue yet.
But I asked my friend to search for some exams on this subject. Don't worry.

On our website there will be links to alot of real life information about sailing, and seamanship. After you read some of that, you will pass the exam.

Updates: The forum is ready, the system is ready, a new chat was created, and I'm in the middle of building the website. It's now 18:34, and I started to work at 08:00, that's is a long time...

Also, I've created today a logo for the Virtual Sea Network, what do you think?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 17:40:05 by afik_t_king »

Jackal

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2007, 19:21:20 »

Also, I've created today a logo for the Virtual Sea Network, what do you think?

Very nice, really! Kinda remind me of Vatsim's colors and logo!  ;D
Ciao,

Corrado

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2007, 19:24:11 »

Love it!

afik_t_king

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2007, 19:44:21 »

Very nice, really! Kinda remind me of Vatsim's colors and logo!  ;D
Ciao,

Corrado
The VATSIM logo is diffrent from this.
Never mind.

Updates- I'm now finishing the last pages in the website, and after that it's just uploading. There are many gadgets  ;)

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2007, 19:45:21 »

you're ready but are the people who will register ready? :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines