Hello Guest July 27, 2024, 09:30:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: virtual sea network  (Read 22174 times)

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
Re: virtual sea network
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2007, 02:15:51 »

I believe he was trying to recreate a VATSIM type of network or a virutral airline for ship sim as a flight simmer these are common and easy to understand and use VAtsim is controlled just like real life someone is a controller and then the pilots you have to file a flight plan and play by the rules that the FAA sets. SS should explore the flightsim world and use some of their ideas and SS could be just as big.avsim and flightsim.com and a hundred other places  I can DL planes and scenery for just about any location on the globe i  want.You have to decide to you want to be a game or a simulator? to be as successful as the flightsim would mean relying on your mambers and fans to create scenery and ships its more than making expansion packs and making money.Use some of their ideas and become global.SS has tons of potential if its done right.

Hi SimKing,

To a certain exstent you are correct, however I do believe that you don't fully understand who made the game and / or it's intensions.

Ship SIMULATOR is and has been developed as a simulator, meaning it will simulate all the things related to boats, harbours and anything else nautical. The fact is that the ShipSim series of software are very new indeed and have only been around for a couple of years. Having said that VSTEP have done wonders to the game and have produced software worthly of awards.

VSTEP won't be frightened to say they are a small company simply because they are. Flight simulator is a huge worldwide franschise that was started in the early 90's and has had millions of pounds spent on developing and marketing the game. I'm getting annoyed with people trying to compare these two games because they are totally different. How can you compare the two games when one has had more funding and time put into the game than the other? It's very one sided and I personally think that people really need to think before they try and compare the software.

I'm sorry if I seemed to let loose a little there but I do feel that VSTEP are getting harsh comments and are being put up against a huge game that has been around for years and years.

Please think about it a little beforehand :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

beechjetkid17

• Forum member
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2007, 22:16:55 »

I tried getting into the website but it says the domain is not available something like that. Can you help me? I'd like to learn more and I'm willing to join.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2007, 00:32:46 »

Hi beechjetkid17 if you read this topic right the way through (personally I wouldn't bother ;) ) then you will see that there has been discussion about the website already.

For a big project such as that, it seems the website isn't maintained.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2007, 01:34:30 »

For a big project such as that, it seems the website isn't maintained.

Stu

For a big project such as that the website wasn't very good at all. I'd forget the whole plan personally (sorry guys)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2007, 01:35:11 »

... Forget what?...

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2007, 01:41:15 »

... Forget what?...

Stu

Forget trying to create a project such as this one. If VSTEP don't agree to integregate their software with the site then there's not really any point in making a project like this.

Wouldn't you agree Stu?

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2007, 01:42:47 »

I can't see what vstep would gain from it- it only really duplicates the scoring in SS anyway.

Stu

simking

• Forum member
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2007, 01:48:03 »

I understand just fine I was simply stating what I think the man was trying to do..Their is no reason in time shipsim could not do the same. water or air its all controlled any large harbor has a controller like in airports.I know its new and with time and support it can be just as great real time weather would be great as well as user content.shipping company's and cruse lines are no different than airliners so a Virtual ship company is just as foreseeable.I look forward to seeing what becomes of the sim.VATSIM and vitual airlines are totally independent of the sim run on their own websites and servers so the same could be done for ship sim microsoft has nothing to do with  vatsim.as long as you have the game and the ability to choose your port setting within you can use any server so theirs  no difference between the too except one is sea and one air.just saying it could be done thats all.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 01:55:43 by simking »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2007, 01:49:34 »

Sorry, I thnk the point that is being made is that the system would only really work if it had co-operation from vstep.

And I think announcing some big plan here but refusing to divulge any info was possibly not the best way to proceed.

Stu

dharl

• Forum member
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2007, 10:53:01 »

Well i think he had a good idea, just not followed it through with how it was going to work.   Given time ShipSim will be big, but small steps, one at a time, at the begining

;D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2007, 11:14:44 »

The problem, in my opinion, is that he came on here bursting with the idea 'i have this great idea but cant tell you what it is and i dont know how it will work'.

Not the best start. I don't see what the difference is between his aim (and I know how a virtual airline works) and the mission list and ranking in shipsim?

EXCEPT that if you were to join his virtual ship line, you would be TOLD which ships and missions you can use.

Do you REALLY think people would 'obey' their commands?

dharl

• Forum member
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2007, 12:20:32 »

No people here dont like being told what to do!  ;D

Seriously i liked the bit about getting people to obey the "rules of the road", after a fashion of course as there are 32 complicated ones to know!!   ;) But i wouldnt like the idea of being told what ship i could drive, and whatmission i could do!   There is a limit, i bought this game for entertainment and enjoyment!! As well as getting to drive some vessels which i couldnt in real life!

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2007, 01:47:58 »

We don't want VStep to integrate it... We want it to be a private thing that records our own stats. It just matters that captains don't lie about there time.

And wow I haven't been on these forums for a while.

I am thinking about working on a better site/template :p

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2007, 11:04:12 »

OK then. Anyone got a copy of MS access? You should be able to knock up a daabase to record who does what crossing in what ship etc etc and be able to bung the database on line.

Simple.

Stu

ryano1989

• Forum member
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2009, 15:21:41 »

well you have me hooked cuz personally i think it would be great to have ships come into the port and sail out on a schedule.my dad was a tug captain for 26 years and taught me what i needed to know to be one (im still workin on it) but i would love to register as a tug captain in a busy port

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2009, 22:49:48 »

But you wouldn't be. Its someone trying to invent a club with no members, no objectives and no point.

Apart from being a totally pointless exercise that is two years old with no progress, it is a wonderful idea.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2009, 23:12:32 »

Better to say, it's a mushroomed idea now!
keep it gnarly

TerryRussell

« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2009, 06:17:17 »

Its someone trying to invent a club with no members, no objectives and no point.

Like the "Income Tax Appreciation Society"?  ;D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2009, 09:54:35 »

Better to say, it's a mushroomed idea now!

Mushroomed???? I've not heard that one before! ??? Since a mushroom is the reproductive organ of a fungus, I suspest the general intent of your comment! ;D

Like the "Income Tax Appreciation Society"?  ;D
Dr T. For a moderator/administrator to use such a foul term on this forum is really shocking!

TerryRussell

« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2009, 00:38:54 »

I'm always like that when people wake me up after two years asleep...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines