Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 15:00:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Will TITANIC be making a come back  (Read 23836 times)

CLAYTON1

• Forum member
Will TITANIC be making a come back
« on: March 08, 2012, 05:08:34 »

Will TITANIC be making a come back?

- Cpt. Clayton  :captain:
S.S. UNITED STATES & R.M.S. TITANIC FOREVER

Rbsanford

• Forum member
Re: Will TITANIC be making a come back
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 05:30:02 »

hopefully soon...

last week vstep said that they're working on a secret, an that next week (now this week) they would have a meeting on it.

i'm gessing it has to do with the environments, but after all, its a secret, so it could be Titanic, or DVOmarinedesign's Sacha, or anything else. ;D
Today's weather:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Not to sound cliched, but what a long, strange, trip it's been.

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 06:31:18 »

Ever since Extremes was released, there have been many posts asking that question—and there have been many posts explaining why there is very little chance that Titanic will ever be in Extremes.

The amount of work necessary to make a new Titanic that will function in SSE, have sufficient detail to satisfy the many rivet-counters, and not reduce the FPS below an acceptable level cannot be justified by the limited sales that could never come close to recovering the very high devlopment cost.

No, it is not possible to adapt the SS2008 version.

leaive

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 15:23:57 »

I don't understand that almost everybody wants Titanic in Ship Simulator Extremes.

Is the ship so important to everybody here?

leaive

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 15:33:03 »

last week vstep said that they're working on a secret, an that next week (now this week) they would have a meeting on it.

That is not right, you must have missunderstood things there. If you go back and read the CCC-thread so will you see that Swensson have said that they are going to have a meeting about the enviroments in the CCC. Then further down in a new post he is saying that they are working on something big but that is a secret so far. This two posts have nothing to do with each other. It is you who have added two different posts and come up with something which is not right.

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

CLAYTON1

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 15:41:40 »

Well that didnt help much and your "secret" post have something to do with the CCC Scenery Winners don't they.

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 15:50:38 »

Well that didnt help much and your "secret" post have something to do with the CCC Scenery Winners don't they.

No, it has not, at least is nothing said about that.

The only thing which is said from Swensson is that there is something big coming up. That is what is said. Everything else is added by members here. So it has nothing to do with the meeting, and the meeting has noting to do with the secret. It is said that the meeting should be about the enviroments, and the secret is something different, and no one know what it is more that just a 'secret', it can be an enviroment but it can also be what ever.

And personally I have no hope for Titanic or any wish about having that ship in the game either. Maybe she is coming back but as Mvsmith says, it will probably not happen.

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

mvsmith

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 16:09:53 »

If Titanic would be your sole reason for buying Extremes, you would be wasting your money.
Even if she were somehow kluged into Extremes, it is very doubtful that her fans would find her as satisfactory as she is in SS2008—a program that is still quite viable and quite inexpensive.
The Mission Editor in ’08 is much easier to use than the one in SSE, and good missions for Titanic could be created, if anyone felt that was worth doing.

Wyqvist and I agree on something. That is scary.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 16:14:04 by mvsmith »

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 16:58:07 »

Wyqvist and I agree on something. That is scary.

Hehe, yes, we just have to be aware of it so it do not become a bad habit, hehe. And if it happens three times it can become a tradition, but so far I hope we never need to go, hehe.

Sunseekeringo

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 17:18:08 »

Probably it is the Titanic because it would definetely make sense...then I would release it on 2nd April, 2012 or even 15th April, 2012...

cheers

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 18:38:38 »

Ever since Extremes was released, there have been many posts asking that question—and there have been many posts explaining why there is very little chance that Titanic will ever be in Extremes.

Has there actually been a official post from Swenson/Frank though regarding Titanic?

Doesn;t bother me myself, if she is in SS its another ship if not, oh well, but I don't recall a official announcement?

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 19:47:24 »

i remember a video of a pre-release interview of SSE with Frank. one question was whether Titanic is in the game or not. Frank said that it wasn't at the moment, but it would be soon.

so did frank abort the Titanic? :-\
Today's weather:

mvsmith

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 20:12:01 »

“Official” guesses were made concerning Titanic a long time ago—around the time of release of Extremes—before the enormity of the performance problems were realized.

Subsequently, it has become apparent that, with the current state of Extremes, there is no chance in Hell of getting the SS008 version of Titanic to work in Extremes without reducing the detail substantially to the point where it would be unacceptable to the fans. There is certainly no way to include Jason’s enhancements or any additional interior detail.
Therefore the cost and drain on virtually non-existent resources cannot be justified.

Perhaps, if the Ship Simulator game continues to be developed, a later version will be able to handle the added strain of an acceptable Titanic, but that is beyond the horizon of my crystal ball.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 21:18:48 »

Perhaps, if the Ship Simulator game continues to be developed, a later version will be able to handle the added strain of an acceptable Titanic, but that is beyond the horizon of my crystal ball.

if the Ship Simulator game continues to be developed...

IF it continues to be developed... that sounds... ominous...

Alexisth1

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 23:04:04 »

i just want to see her again because in my opinion she was the most important ship in ss06 ,  the flagship of the game , but then in 2008 she get a little bit forgottern , even the red funnel ship , which have no missions in ss08 returned to sse

CLAYTON1

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 05:17:48 »

Why not just re-make TITANIC completely People have creates Titanics in under a month just find someone to build it full time.

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 05:39:30 »

exactly. i'm sure that theres some free time at vstep to build a low-poly Titanic that the masses will love. ;D
Today's weather:

mvsmith

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 05:43:26 »

I’ll let one of the DLC winners explain that to you—although it has been explained many times on this forum. As I said in an earlier post, they already have an enhanced version of Jason’s model from ’08, but it has too high a poly count. Reducing the detail would bring so many howls of complaint from the fans that it would not be worthwhile. The model is only half of the job. VSTEP developers have to integrate it into the game, provide controls, and make dynamics that will allow her to behave realistically in the sea model. This involves as much time as making the model.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 08:22:59 »

As I said in an earlier post, they already have an enhanced version of Jason’s model from ’08, but it has too high a poly count.
I guess some news WAS given in the year's time I've been largely absent form this game.

I'll simply throw an idea out into the open, although I do understand that the work load involved would be enormous, and would be too tailored to a single ship to be practical. I know that plenty of games give players options to lower models' LOD if objects are too detailed for users' computers. A crack pot idea could be to give the ship some four models or so, including the distance one, and offer a "high, medium, low" choice in the graphics options.

The other equally crazy but faster idea is to give the high-poly model its sea functions, and then practically toss it into the game, only making it playable on multiplayer servers that include Titanic, the way add-on vessels are done in MP. If players complain about their game running slowly when Titanic is about, reply with "You're the one who wanted her." (Even more effective as a response if Titanic is put on the site as DLC for a price)

Again, I would like to emphasize that these are insane musings of mine... though I gained a new gaming laptop a few months ago and would love to return to Ship Simulator Extremes using Titanic and see if it can be taken to its limits with an "Extreme" Titanic model.

(It just wouldn't be a Titanic topic unless I gave feedback, now would it?)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:28:52 by RMS Gigantic »

Alexisth1

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 22:42:08 »

it would be awsome to have a olympic class super pack with:
RMS OLYMPIC (Post war design)
RMS Titanic
HMSH Britannic
SS Nomadic

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 23:22:18 »

it would be awsome to have a olympic class super pack with:
RMS OLYMPIC (Post war design)
RMS Titanic
HMSH Britannic
SS Nomadic

SS Nomadic wasn't an Olympic-Class ship, but I know what you mean.
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

mvsmith

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 03:03:27 »

The other equally crazy but faster idea is to give the high-poly model its sea functions, and then practically toss it into the game, only making it playable on multiplayer servers that include Titanic, the way add-on vessels are done in MP. If players complain about their game running slowly when Titanic is about, reply with "You're the one who wanted her." (Even more effective as a response if Titanic is put on the site as DLC for a price)

I like that idea best: Give them a high-quality Titanic that they can’t use unless they get—and properly maintain—a computer that can handle it.

The trouble with that, and all other things that have been suggested, is that the developers do not have the time or resources unless they do it instead of update 1.6, THE SECRET”, and any more DLC.

You might start a topic—not a meaningless anonymous poll—where users can say that they would rather have Titanic than those other items. And where other users can say what they think of that other group.

If users really want an Extremes that has been purged of the bugs they have been complaining about, they had better start sitting upon those who keep insisting upon relatively useless additions that can only postpone that happy day.
They should also stop supporting, silently or actively, those posters who, by their comments, do nothing constructive—and, indeed, provide reasons for investors to question whether the game is worth dumping more resources into.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 07:38:52 »

If users really want an Extremes that has been purged of the bugs they have been complaining about, they had better start sitting upon those who keep insisting upon relatively useless additions that can only postpone that happy day.
Ship  Simulator 2008 never reached that "happy day", even after two years after Titanic was already included. The fact that, as you said, this game is pretty much only worked on on as a small side project at VSTEP, also suggests that SSE will remain forever imperfect regardless of whether or not work is done to implement Titanic.

mvsmith

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 12:10:02 »

...The fact that, as you said, this game is pretty much only worked on on as a small side project at VSTEP, also suggests that SSE will remain forever imperfect regardless of whether or not work is done to implement Titanic.

That is certainly true. The question is: How imperfect, and for how long?
Should an imperfect Titanic take priority over any other additional content and a 1.6 update that would attempt to correct some of the serious things that are wrong with Extremes?
Perhaps it is time for all users to express their answers to that question, if they really want Ship Simulator to be developed further.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 12:51:23 »

As has already been pointed out, "Titanic" was, apart from something pretty to look at, not used to any great extent in missions when she was part of SS 2008. If one checks back it can be seen that the few missions which were built for her were actually completed by very few players, so surely it would be of more value to most players to have update no.6. as a better option? I do stress the word MOST as it is patently obvious that a few vociferous members wish to try to force their views down the throats of the majority. "Titanic" was actually a very nice ship to sail in the game, but even that did not make her attractions to be as popular as some would like us to believe. :doh:
Speaking on a very personal basis I can see no positive reason for her to re-appear in SSE. As has been mentioned frequently before, she is there, in all her glory, in SS 2008. That being the case, then those who enjoy LOOKING at her are still able to do so. ::)
The more serious players of SSE, of which there seem to be remarkably few, would really like to see the game achieve its full potential by having the problems of the AI traffic and a number of other things addressed and fixed above all else. Patience is a virtue, at least that was what I was told as a child. Also, another one which used to be thrown at me was:- "All good things come to he who waits." :P You never know what is round the next corner. :evil:
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines