Hello Guest April 24, 2024, 10:30:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Next Patch after V 1.35 What date can we expect it?  (Read 20036 times)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
Re: Next Patch after V 1.35 What date can we expect it?
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 18:20:02 »

For the record, I usually get about 10-15 fps, which is ok..
Seems to me some people get fixated about their framerates.. :)

Same here

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 18:25:48 »

Amen.
It's the crew that makes the difference

krytsch

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 19:17:23 »

10-15 fps isn't okay at all!
It's frustrating. It feels sluggish. The waves move in jerks and so does camera no. 3, and when in harbours things are passing in jerks as well.

When changing to SS08, there are certain places and mission at which the game runs at a low frame rate. Despite of this you suddenly feel, as if some bonds have been released!

Of course people are getting 'fixated' about their frame rates, when they realize, that most of the processor is running idle and only one part is stressed to 100 %.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 19:46:26 »

I don't need fraps to know my game is running relatively slow, the diffrence between 30 and 60 FPS is huge,
any game i play manages to reach 60FPS at maximum settings, and why is that? my PC meets it's recommended requirements, else it would have been minimum requirements if i would be playing it at 30 frames.

and blaming the low FPS to people as a psychological thing is just wrong.
it's not permissible for a PC game to run on a slow FPS even the system should handle it.
not everyone has a dad working at NASA which could provide a computer with Intel-MegaAwesome 20core 88.9GHZ and 5 yotabytes of RAM.

that would be like sony selling PS3 games with an average framerate of 30FPS or lower and having the excuse "don't whine people, it's just in your heads, the game is perfect"
there is nothing they could do about it.

and i just don't get it why i see almost everytime when i read a discussion about this, that people are giving the excuse that it's not the game's fault that the FPS is low, such excuse shouldn't be tolerated.
Bottom line is, a computer which requirements meet the recommended should have a smooth game running.
Take a look at SS08, that's much smoother.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 19:49:57 by mr robville »

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 19:50:18 »

I'm not saying it's ok, it's only a way to play the game and get less frustrated about it. Atleast for me it is  :) In the end, we just want to play our beloved game right?
It's the crew that makes the difference

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 19:53:23 »

ofcourse we want, and we can, but my point is that the game's FPS is too slow to run smooth, even your computer should be able to handle it.

i'm playing SSE quite a lot, but at some moments i just hoped the game to be faster.

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 22:36:50 »

Absolutely. I guess that nowadays comes with the fact, that fps say's something about the game and your computer. How higher the fps how better it all is. So generally people will compare that to each other for making a result of a game. Based on the fact that most assume they have a good computer, getting low fps will be "blamed" to the game.
Personally I find that people shouldn't be looking just to the fps, but also the quality they get and know how hard a game is to turn on  your computer. I noticed that my computer is running at max for getting an pretty good result.
So yeah a less heavy game will ask less of my computer, where I can get more fps.

So maybe "look behind the horizon" ;D

Snaky
Cadet Holland America Line

krytsch

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 23:56:01 »

No, Snakebyte, I don't measure the quality of a game by the fps.
But - when the computer easily meets the given requirements (which you can read here: http://www.shipsim.com/products/shipsimulatorextremes), then the game has to run in a way, that it can be played smoothly! Neither sluggish nor with constant crashes!
There is no need to look behind what you consider to be the horizon in order to understand that.

When this piece of software is the only 'heavy' software (as you call it), that doesn't run properly (slow, sluggish, faulty) on my PC, then there is something wrong with the software - not the PC.
And when additionally this 'heavy' software even isn't able to utilize even half the computer's resources, it simply isn't completed yet - probably because people kept shouting for the game in the summer 2010, when it wasn't ready.

But now nearly a year has gone by, and it's time for a solution.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 00:11:33 by krytsch »

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 10:40:34 »

As Ballast points out above, if the game runs smoothly with no jerkiness, does it really matter if you are getting 15 or 30 FPS? When one considers that cinema films run quite happily at 25 FPS what is the big fuss about. I have yet to hear that anyone has complained to the film industry that the frame rate of their films is poor. ::) :doh:
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

JoMach

• Dutch Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 10:47:41 »

Hi All
For a simulater fps between 20 and 30 is very good, its not a shooter or action game ;D
rgrds
jomach

sydmichel

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 11:20:49 »

For getting 120fps you don't need a 120hz screen. Hz and fps can be seen seperate. And most of time you don't notice. But with some monitors and high fps it's not working proper anymore, so they came up with Vsync.

So, if your monitors screen has a refresh rarte of 60 times a second,  What is the maximum Frames Per Seconed that can be observed?  I thought the answer would be 60!
We're all buddies in boats

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 12:20:51 »

So, if your monitors screen has a refresh rarte of 60 times a second,  What is the maximum Frames Per Seconed that can be observed?  I thought the answer would be 60!
I really don't know. But sometimes I see I get around the 200fps without noticing any problems.
I would say for answering your question try it out ;D
Figure out or you see somewhere Vsync in a game. Turn it of, and watch! :lol:

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2011, 12:23:47 »

A screen with 60Hz refreshes 60 times a second, so surely this means that the most you could actully get would be 60 frames per second? the game might give out a million and 1 FPS, but without a screen with a million and 1 Hz, you would only get what the screen can display...?

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 15:00:31 »

I'm not completely sure how it's working. I wondered myself when I bought a few months ago a new screen. And the salesman could tell me it's not completely the same. But all the technical info I don't know about it.

There's only something I can imagine. Hz means it's crossing the zero point. Like with electricity. Electricity on 50Hz will cross the zero point 50 times. And you don't have that with fps. ::) That's how many times frames get refreshed. Without crossing anything. But that's just a thought.. ??? :(

larsdehaan

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 15:08:01 »

huge offtopic but its keeping the forum alive though

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2011, 15:29:15 »

huge offtopic but its keeping the forum alive though
8 minutes nothing and you want to keep it alive??  ;D

larsdehaan

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2011, 15:31:42 »

8 minutes nothing and you want to keep it alive??  ;D
no but these discussions are good for the forum.. brings people back

paulusfiret

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2011, 15:44:01 »

Gentlemen, It is not forgotten how much improvement had been made with the latest patch, but that "bouncing" problem stands miles above any other issue, because simulation play has basically stopped here.
I can not imagine why this problem has not been tackled at once, as I can now see that we also have to wait for other issues to be solved as well. We had already to absorb the loss -after entering 'Extremes', of a few good vessels, including two third party 'goodwill' tugs. Now the game is close to 'useless'. I am also just missing the background information about why this happened and what is the progress on the road of recovery.
If you bring your car to the workshop for some repair, you also don't like to hear 'Before the end of this year', or similar. Your hardcore members are not waiting for a 'big bang'; They just want to see things solved, -one after the other-....
k/rgds
PF, Singapore.

sydmichel

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2011, 16:46:36 »

I really don't know. But sometimes I see I get around the 200fps without noticing any problems.
I would say for answering your question try it out ;D
Figure out or you see somewhere Vsync in a game. Turn it of, and watch! :lol:

It was a Rhetorical question!  I already know that no matter how good and quick your graphics card is, internally, in the graphics card RAM the scene may be changing say, 100 times every second (100 FPS) however, externally if your monitor only asks the card to output the contents of that RAM only 60 times a second then the other 40 frames are discarded. 

There is also an issue with the bandwidth of the DVI interface on modern LCD type monitors and that is why at high resolutions you only get refresh rate of 60 or 75 at best.

My advise would be, no matter what game you are playing, turn all the eye-candy up until the FPS just drops bellow 60 and be happy with that.
We're all buddies in boats

mvsmith

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2011, 20:00:07 »

Electricity on 50Hz will cross the zero point 50 times.

It crosses the zero point 100 times per second.
The Hertz (Hz) is an ISO unit defined as a reciprocal second. Anything that happens periodically a certain number of times per second can be measured in Hz—your pulse, the rotation of the Earth, and the refresh rate of your monitor.
If your frame rate exceeds the refresh rate of the monitor, that means that each frame laid down on the monitor contains parts of more than one rendered frame, which can produce weird artifacts.

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2011, 20:11:39 »

It crosses the zero point 100 times per second.
The Hertz (Hz) is an ISO unit defined as a reciprocal second. Anything that happens periodically a certain number of times per second can be measured in Hz—your pulse, the rotation of the Earth, and the refresh rate of your monitor.
If your frame rate exceeds the refresh rate of the monitor, that means that each frame laid down on the monitor contains parts of more than one rendered frame, which can produce weird artifacts.

Yeah 100 times... It's holiday :lol:
But like you said it CAN produce..
But I believe you. Because I'm not that familair with it.

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2011, 01:42:13 »

Hi All
For a simulater fps between 20 and 30 is very good, its not a shooter or action game ;D
rgrds
jomach

Yes, and when you play a simulator game you are normaly busy with playing the game(controling the player). So an explanation to why this frame thing is such a big issue on this game may be that Vstep have mostly developed the vissual in SSE. There are not so many more things to do than steering the vessel in different directions you are in controle of in this game. Most simulator games which are coming with a number two and three etc. have developed what you are in controle of and have to controle to what it now simulate, and many simulators have an option of how much you like to simulate(how difficult it should be). Playing SSE is like playing a simulator on "novice" or "amateur". This game could have been fantastic, it has all what it needs, and Vstep could make it much more like a simulator without coming close to their professional product.

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

Bukko

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2011, 04:27:57 »

I agree with you..... but VSTEP has no intention of making available any of their profession features to SSE.......

It's not the first time I've purchased a substandard computer game and probably won't be the last. I've switched to VSF and with all of the newer affordable 3rd party ships, functioning instruments, GPS, Radar, global navigation, auto pilot, towing, cargo loading/unloading, 3rd party scenery etc they've really got something for the maritime simulator fan.  The water looks a little better in SSE but that's it....

Craig

Thor2

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2011, 08:31:18 »

Shipsim EX is realy Extreme,

to play with good fps you need two graphics cards, or better two PC's. ::) With the PysikX water, NVIDIA cards are running very well at sea. But in the harbor they have a totally break and even a weaker ATI card is faster.  :-\
My problem, the Nvidia card has little fps, but runs only at 30% capacity, at sea he has up to 100% and is miles away from Ati. This is not really optimal.

Only a Question! Why should I buy a new Graphic Card for 250 € or more, when my actual card runs only at 30 %. :-\

Regards

Thor
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 08:33:32 by Thor2 »

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2011, 09:24:26 »

Hi
Here is a answer from MVSMITH
Unlike many of the games against which it is erroneously compared, SS does a great deal more processing between each frame. Therefore the contribution to the frame period is proportionately less for rendering and more for the CPU activity. The performance obtainable from a specific system is a complex tradeoff between GPU and CPU + RAM. The dxdiag does not tell the whole story. In many cases users have things running in the background of which they are unaware. Indexing, virus scans, automatic checks for updates, etc., may be happening.
This subject is also muddied by idiotic claims that “the game is unplayable at 20 FPS”.

So really the graphic card is not really the problem although it needs to be a good one.
                                                                                                                              Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines