Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 12:58:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: New patch  (Read 55168 times)

andrej

• Forum member
Re: New patch
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 12:50:10 »

"Added functionality when in walkthrough mode, secondary ship controls are available" - what does it mean?

Racer96

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 13:31:17 »

It means you have some keys you can use to control the ship while in walkthrough mode (i guess so)

For example: I, K, J and L

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 13:33:26 »

Hi Andrej,

Can you please register your license key here on the forum so we can answer your question better  :)

Thanks!
It's the crew that makes the difference

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 13:49:56 »

"Added functionality when in walkthrough mode, secondary ship controls are available" - what does it mean?

It means that the secondary control method you might choose, like a joypad or a joystick or a steering wheel, which normally only worked in Helmsman camera, will also work in walkthrough mode.

So that you can control the vessel other than with the mouse and the on-screen controls overlay, when in walkthrough.

Fred.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 14:01:06 by Mad_Fred »

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 14:11:42 »

That should come in handy..

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 14:27:09 »

What ship is Billy Green? :)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010, 14:33:00 »

a Greenpeace RHIB

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2010, 15:28:55 »

It means that the secondary control method you might choose, like a joypad or a joystick or a steering wheel, which normally only worked in Helmsman camera, will also work in walkthrough mode.
So that you can control the vessel other than with the mouse and the on-screen controls overlay, when in walkthrough.
Fred.

Thanks for clarifying that Fred..  I thought it might mean you could use controls found in walkabout mode, like the bridge-wing controls on the Vermaas.. :)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2010, 15:53:45 »

Hmm... good point.  ::)

I'd have to inquire to further clarify.

In Nautis, it was introduced as 'your controller also works in walkthrough', which was not te case in SS08, as you no doubt know.  :)

But what you say makes sense too, and was also requested for SSE. It could be a case of 'same phrase, different meaning'.  :-\

I'm not on the main pc so I can't check atm, but will do so when I get a chance.

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 15:54:04 »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 15:54:55 »

No problem!  :thumbs:

coryt415

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2010, 05:25:54 »

i thought you can use tab button and steer the ship(with on screen pop-up) no matter what view your are in...it works on mine (maybe im misunderstanding?)

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2010, 06:05:25 »

In Nautis, it was introduced as 'your controller also works in walkthrough', which was not te case in SS08, as you no doubt know.  :)

So have I understood this right?
Does it mean that I can steer the ship with a gamepad, in the walk-around mode, in the same way I can as in helmet- and externalmode?

If so, can I drop this update too?
Cause as I see it soo is also this at step away from simulation of reality. If I am the captain or piloting a ship and choose to walk on another place on a ship so can I not use the wheel and power controles when I walk around. I thought walkaround mode is what the name say.

I can of cource just not using it, and this is just a small detail. But it all this small unrealistic details, added together, which are turning the game further and further away from being a simulator game.

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2010, 10:55:33 »

@Wiqvist,

The benefit of having this option, is that you can use your joystick, gamepad or ship control unit while you stand on the bridgewing. Besides that you can also use them on the Bugsier 2 while you are standing on the aft console overlooking the tow. In my humble opinion, that brings some extra realism in the game.

It's the crew that makes the difference

Racer96

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2010, 12:36:11 »

Btw, what does ''improved ocean performance'' mean? Are we gonna get more FPS?

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2010, 18:55:27 »

So have I understood this right?
Does it mean that I can steer the ship with a gamepad, in the walk-around mode, in the same way I can as in helmet- and externalmode?

If so, can I drop this update too?
Cause as I see it soo is also this at step away from simulation of reality. If I am the captain or piloting a ship and choose to walk on another place on a ship so can I not use the wheel and power controles when I walk around. I thought walkaround mode is what the name say.

I can of cource just not using it, and this is just a small detail. But it all this small unrealistic details, added together, which are turning the game further and further away from being a simulator game.

Uhm.. but in real life, you have 'eyes on the situation' that are in contact with the bridge. The directions/observations indirectly help manouvre the ship, do they not?  In game, this can't be done, cause you're all alone. So this is a necessary trade-off, to achieve what can't be done, but what should be able to work, to have both the ship under someone's control, and someone's (or more thanone person's) eyes on the important spots.

Unless you can play with several players on one ship to do the several tasks it takes to manouvre a ship, you need some system to take it's place. It's more realistic, not less. Just imagine you are several people.. imagine you have the eyes of the observer, the brain of the skipper and the hands of the helmsman.  ;D

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2010, 19:01:29 »

I'm not sold on this..In theory you could then steer the ship sitting on a deck chair by the pool on the aft deck..
It would make much more sense to only be able to use the secondary controls, such as on the bridge-wings on some ships..

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2010, 19:14:09 »

Yes but it's not always only just the bridge wings that crewmembers give their feedback from, ofcourse. And a skipper can issue orders no matter where he is, aswell.

And if the captain is in the deckchair at the pool, and uses his handheld to tell the helmsman to execute a certain manouvre, would the helmsman say 'no sir, I won't do that, cause you're sitting at the pool'?   ;D

Plus..not everyone wants to use the secondary/bridge wing controls with their mouse. Some people want to use the ship control unit, or have built their own controllers, or use joypads/sticks and the likes.

If you'd only be able to use the actual controls that are modeled there, it'd be restricted again. And you can already use the mouse in walkthrough anyway.

And many people have in the past requested this feature.. so the few people that think it's not realistic can just put the controller down, and not use it when they are walking about. Problem solved.  :)

If that's a major issue for some people, and if it itches so badly that they simply can't ignore it, then maybe the problem isn't in the game itself.   ;D

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2010, 19:17:59 »

A captain sitting at the bar, giving steering instructions..That could be interesting.. ;)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2010, 19:22:02 »

'Another * hickup * round here, Isaac!'

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2010, 19:54:30 »

Coming right up, cap'n.. ;D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 19:59:55 by saltydog »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2010, 20:14:25 »

I never liked the Love Boat, as a show.. but you gotta love Isaac, nonetheless.  ;D

:2thumbs:

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2010, 20:19:33 »

Yeah..Another "Hard to Port" then..?   ;D

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2010, 20:20:25 »

Double! As long as it's not on(to) the rocks!  ::)

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2010, 20:22:36 »

No danger of that cap'n, we've been circling around here in the middle of the Atlantic for the past 3 hours.. ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines