Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 17:34:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic in SSE  (Read 20453 times)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: Titanic in SSE
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 16:33:46 »

Capt. Spencer, I think we all know that sse will be long buried and replaced with a new game at £40 before tita....zzzz is even modelled (even IF vstep want it).

They can make more money in re-making the game at £40 than the model of £20 for 5 ships or whatever.

Me a cynic?
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

mvsmith

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 17:50:12 »

It was foolish for anyone to buy SSE solely to get Titanic.

There was never any statement from a responsible person on this forum that Titanic would be in the release. Instead there were statements cautioning that there was a strong possibility that she would not be in the release.

There was never anything but a vague suggestion that “Titanic will be back” in a video interview. I doubt that was intended to be anything but a Kathleen Mavourneen.

The reasons why the decision was made—many months before release—that she would not be in the release, and why it is still uncertain when—or if—she will return have been stated before:
1. The difficulty in getting her—or any ship—to behave properly in the new sea model.
2. The very high poly count that was a severe problem even in SS2008 and was a greater problem in light of the performance problems with the added features in SSE.
3. Jason wanted time to make improvements in his model.
That last one is, I believe, still a controlling factor.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 18:40:55 »

In case anyone's wondering; what's a Kathleen Mavourneen ? A famous line from one of her songs is:
 "It may be for years, and it may be forever"..

btw: a Kathleen Mavourneen loan means: a loan which may not be repaid for years, if ever.. ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 18:47:47 by saltydog »

mvsmith

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 18:47:21 »

A famous Dutch lass was Katy…

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 19:18:33 »

How about the SS United States in the game..?
DVO has already made an excellent model.. :)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 20:21:16 »

vstep have made (either deliberate or by poor design) it overly complicated to get any 'ship' in the game.

Simple as that. The fact that this is on its THIRD main incarnation and still this fundamental point has not been addressed suggests to me that vstep has a profoundly poor grasp on the mass market model.

No offence to them- their professional stuff seems pretty good, but their mass market games are totally flawed; they have failed to understand what people want out of this *GAME*.

Clue: It is a GAME and not a simulator; thus people want flashy images and not 100% lifelike handling (to those professional mariners I ask, is driving a computer REALLY a simulation of reality?)
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 20:26:14 »

In essence, driving a computer is not a simulation of anything (except driving a computer)

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 01:03:30 »

What we really need instead, is the SS NOMADIC with a big strong white star line flag since the Titanic is proven to be such a hand full. Now the good news is that the ship is fully modeled by someone but the only thing is stopping her from being put in SSE is permition from those evil little people who never bother to reply back, if only I remember what the topic was  ???

ahh wait, here it is, dusted off

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,12842.0.html
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:10:08 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 01:34:50 »

What we really need instead

I can think of a dozen things which we really need.  ::)
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 03:41:22 »

You already have SS08 with Titanic, so why not go and play that?

From my view, that seems to be questioning why buy SSE at all. And I mean, ignoring Titanic, and substituting in any factor, that comes off to me as analogical to saying, for example, "You can simulate ships in Ship Simulator 2008. Why get Ship Simulator Extremes?"

Also, I don't recall a mod ever saying that the Titanic was ever to make it into the game yesterday (please feel free to post the quote saying so).
It was not on the forums, but in SSE multiplayer sometime last year, where a moderator had mentioned May 31. Though Mad Fred later dismissed that claim in a PM.

I do, however, have a screencap (pardon the excess space) of a PM where I was told that she would be released sometime this year....

Sure, it's TJK, but still, his forum rank was above average enough where I had believed him at the time ::)

Until VSTEP actually announces that the Titanic WILL be in Extremes, the better solution would be to assume it will not make it.

I took http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAWFnHKIX98&t=5m13s and http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/ship-simulator-extremes/screenshots/g-2009082012622463006/pic-00AE63AF-7FCA-4825-9445-B95E4DFC6702 to mean that VSTEP was announcing her return ::) And to those of you who say that those are old pictures and interviews, it's still more word than some vessels that did appear in the game ever received!

The reasons why the decision was made—many months before release—that she would not be in the release, and why it is still uncertain when—or if—she will return have been stated before:
1. The difficulty in getting her—or any ship—to behave properly in the new sea model.
2. The very high poly count that was a severe problem even in SS2008 and was a greater problem in light of the performance problems with the added features in SSE.
Thank you for that. At least now I know what's going on! Glad to hear that the controlling factor is what it is ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:25:41 by RMS Gigantic »

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 08:53:33 »

Yeah, If we know what's going on we'd be complaining less  ::), it feels like were left out in the rain. Every game company keeps players up today with any changes or why some things are the way they are at the momment

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 10:44:07 »

Maybe Swenson or Frank or someone else from VSTEP could come in and put this to rest...?  !:)

mvsmith

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 10:58:45 »

If you look at the name of the starter of this topic, it says why they might think “putting it to rest” would be a hopeless task.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2011, 10:59:16 »

If you look at the name of the starter of this topic, it says why they might think “putting it to rest” would be a hopeless task.

Oh yes...  :doh:

craigster1

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2011, 11:24:47 »

i did not buy it for that i brought it because i liked the dover env i the new ship i dont mind titanic but its a bit slow to pilot and there is no terminal for her. 
It was foolish for anyone to buy SSE solely to get Titanic.

There was never any statement from a responsible person on this forum that Titanic would be in the release. Instead there were statements cautioning that there was a strong possibility that she would not be in the release.

There was never anything but a vague suggestion that “Titanic will be back” in a video interview. I doubt that was intended to be anything but a Kathleen Mavourneen.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2011, 14:42:08 »

In essence, driving a computer is not a simulation of anything (except driving a computer)

Technically thus referred to as an 'emulator'

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2011, 17:31:24 »

Yeah, If we know what's going on we'd be complaining less  ::), it feels like were left out in the rain. Every game company keeps players up today with any changes or why some things are the way they are at the momment

Errr... how did you come to that conclusion? It has been made clear on several occasions about the status of Titanic as Marty said above.
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2011, 17:39:52 »

Errr... how did you come to that conclusion? It has been made clear on several occasions about the status of Titanic as Marty said above.

Yes...

cpt.nordstrand

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2011, 19:04:28 »

what about titanic as an AI ship?

the northern star sailing with a computer that doesnt coorperate

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2011, 19:14:24 »

To be honest...

I think I would prefer the SS Rotterdam...  :evil:

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2011, 21:04:34 »

what about titanic as an AI ship?

To be honest...

I think I would prefer the SS Rotterdam...  :evil:

I think I would prefer slashing my wrists

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2011, 21:05:43 »

That would be... painful me thinks   :doh:

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2011, 21:07:47 »

That would be... painful me thinks   :doh:

Not as painful as thinking of that dull ship...

It isn't the ship so much that's the problem but that damned film "tit..............zzzz"

Where the young kid, what's his name- jack or something- stands at the bow screaming "woo wooo wooooo wo I'm the king of the world w00 w000 w00000 wo" So damned irritating.

Yes, I think it's his poor acting skills that destroyed that (already) dull film.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2011, 21:10:08 »

Well it was a film you already knew the ending to...

essentially you were watching a film knowing you were about to witness the deaths of over 1000 people  :doh:

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2011, 21:19:36 »

The only good bit was when jack carked it and thus stopped going "woo wooo woooo wo"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines