Hello Guest September 16, 2024, 20:08:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

In future versions of SS, would you like to be able to start and stop the engines?

Yes
- 291 (95.1%)
No
- 4 (1.3%)
don't care
- 11 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 290

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Engines  (Read 43444 times)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: Engines
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2007, 14:25:59 »

I think (assuming sales justify future development) that it would be better asking the developers for add on ports and ships... there have been one or two requests.

Sydney harbour, Newcastle (tyne) DOVER, Miami, DOVER,err DOVER

SEE?! The possibilities are endless! ;)

Stuart
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2007, 08:14:58 »

This belongs in another topic. Lets get back to the topic at hand, eh? Lets see if we can come up with a viable way that could be the easiest for VStep to produce and a concept that would meet our interests in the game.
-Dave

Moderator, Ship Simulator Official Forums
Founder, The Ship Simulator New Vessel Design Group
Designer - Print, Branding, Fashion, Identity Systems

The New Vessel Design Group - Bringing gamers ideas to Ship Simulator

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2007, 10:29:01 »

I don't think it would even require modeling, all they would need is a switch, and when that switch is in the off position, the engine is immobilised and will not move, even if you move the throttle (sorry, I know that's not the right word).

When the engines are switched on you hear the sounds of the engines slowly getting louder, winding up, until they are ready to operate, only then is it possible to get the engines moving.  If gauges were to be included then that is the only modeling that would be nessecary.

EDIT:  There could of course be more than one switch involved, it could have more progression than simply flicking one switch and waiting.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 15:59:52 by Captain Davies »

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2007, 11:09:21 »

I don't think it would even require modeling, all they would need is a switch[es], and when that switch[es] is in the off position, the engine is immobilised and will not move even if you move the throttle (sorry, I know that's not the right word). 

When the engines are switched on you hear the sounds of the engines slowly getting louder, winding up until, until they are ready to perate, then is it possible to get the engines moving.  If gauges were to be included then that is the only modeling that would be nesseccary.

See. I agree. Now lets bug the developers about it.
-Dave

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2007, 11:37:36 »

This belongs in another topic. Lets get back to the topic at hand, eh? Lets see if we can come up with a viable way that could be the easiest for VStep to produce and a concept that would meet our interests in the game.

With all respect, it is relevant. If you are to ask the developers to do this project and they agreed it would be at the detriment of other aspects of the project.

A greater range of harbours and ships will sell more packs than a simple engine room simulator.

If they were to model a 'few switches and gauges' how long before people start complaining that it doesn't really reflect engine room management?

Stuart
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2007, 13:34:22 »

But if VStep does simulate the engine-room, how long will it take for people to complain about Deck-management? And so on. I don't mean to offend you, Stuart, but we simply can't have them all. ;) For know, that is... ;D

A couple of gauges and switches would be nice for starters.
After that "we" could think about additional simulations, like the engine-room and deck-management.
And ofcourse loading and unloading, what hangs unavoideble together with freighters.

We can load/unload the container-vessels in SS08 our selves, can't we?
Well, in the future we could maybe (un)load tankers and bulk-carriers?
Possibillitys with these kind of simulators are really endless.

And i think, that's a good thing! :D
m/s "Eemspoort"
1961, Hilgers A.G.-Rheinbröhl
76,2 x 8,20 x 2,72 mtr, 1085 ton
Deutz RBV 6 M 545, 800 HP @ 380 rpm
Daf KMD 250.2, 250 HP @ 1800 rpm, bowthruster

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2007, 16:55:14 »

Actually, if you read my post you will see that is the point I was trying to make.

Make up your mind- a ship simulator OR marine simulator.

Please keep up!

Stu

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2007, 19:58:56 »

See. I agree. Now lets bug the developers about it.
I agree with that ;D  Lets go bug the developers and hopefully get it in the game. KM

Maik

• Forum member
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2007, 21:02:56 »

I agree with that ;D  Lets go bug the developers and hopefully get it in the game. KM

Alrighty than let's get bugging  ;D

Maybe this can be a small update, patch or something.

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2007, 21:06:37 »

Actually, if you read my post you will see that is the point I was trying to make.

Make up your mind- a ship simulator OR marine simulator.

Please keep up!

Stu

Like i said, Stuart, i didn't mean to offend you or anybody else.
And we aren't all born with the English language, so a mis-understanding can ocure, don't you agree?

Allright then, let's get bugging!  ;D
m/s "Eemspoort"

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2007, 23:05:09 »

Sorry. You make a good point, Eemsport.

I'm afraid that I have taken yor bilingual skills for granted as you write English so well.

I'm afraid that apart from speaking reasonable French, I only know a bit of Flemish (similar to Netherlands, yes?). I go to Flanders quite a lot (mostly Bruges and Antwerp). But it is so difficult to find good language boks for Dutch and Flemish.

Stuart

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2007, 23:10:55 »

I was referring to:

"I think (assuming sales justify future development) that it would be better asking the developers for add on ports and ships... there have been one or two requests.

Sydney harbour, Newcastle (tyne) DOVER, Miami, DOVER,err DOVER

SEE?! The possibilities are endless!

Stuart"
-Dave

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2007, 23:27:28 »

Good grief. Dave is agreeing with me. How quaint :)

I'm glad you came round to my way of thinking eventually.

Stuart

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2007, 06:48:19 »

Huh? CONFUSION!! I am saying that is the topic that does not belong here, it belongs in the other thread I created.
-Dave

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2007, 06:48:58 »

-Dave

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2007, 21:23:32 »

Dave

I sometimes wonder if you actually bother to read posts before replying. My comment has everything to do with engines.

My point is "Would inclusion of engineering functions cause other parts of the game/ simulator to be reduced?" You can NOT have everything.

My comment was not about favourite ports. You were suggesting that the engineering functions would give 'endless options' and I was suggesting alternative options- such as forgetting engineering for now and (once VStep have made sufficient sales to justify further development) concentrate on other features such as ships and ports.

I would guess that the majority of people bought SS06 due to the bridge controls rather than the engineering functions which would appeal mostly to die hard ship fans. One is all well and nice, but the other sells product.

As far as I'm concerned this thread is becoming argumentative. I always try to see another persons viewpoint and I respectfully suggest you do the same.

Regards
Stuart

EDIT:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 22:35:34 by Stuart2007 »

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2007, 22:38:36 »

I think it is simply a matter of misunderstanding, most likely. I read your posts, however, I did not make a connection. Most likely just because I have a lot going on in my head.

However, regardless the case, I am sorry if you have the impression I am being argumentative. That is in fact not my intention. You are the first to bring this up. HA HA maybe you just have the guts to slam the old man down now and then, I dunno. Regardless, I think this got all out of hand.

Wounds mended, words exchanged . . . . Now lets enjoy the forum, eh?
-Dave

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2007, 23:37:59 »

Lets just put whatever conflicts we have aside and continue with the topic before it gets locked. If you want to fight, do it over pms not where you disturb other members who are just trying to get some information. KM

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2007, 01:10:37 »

Wounds mended, words exchanged . . . . Now lets enjoy the forum, eh?

OK. fair point. You do realise that world war three is going to kick off over a misunderstanding in a web chat forum don't you?

Glad we got it sorted anyway. Still think I'm right though ;)

Stuart

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2007, 05:11:53 »

OK. fair point. You do realise that world war three is going to kick off over a misunderstanding in a web chat forum don't you?

Glad we got it sorted anyway. Still think I'm right though ;)

Stuart

Heh. Maybe.
-Dave

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2007, 12:02:35 »

Do you think Bush, Putin, Blair etc have been discussing nuclear warheads on a chatroom? Hope not...

Stuart

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2007, 12:55:01 »

I would guess that the majority of people bought SS06 due to the bridge controls rather than the engineering functions which would appeal mostly to die hard ship fans. One is all well and nice, but the other sells product.

No one bought SS2006 for the engineering.  It wasn't even part of the game.  So you don't really know how many people would buy the game because they were after the engineering aspect.  Besides, the point I'm standing by is that it really wouldn't be much trouble for Vstep to add this engine start up into the game anyway.  So it wouldn't really detract from their development of ports and ships.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 13:00:50 by Captain Davies »

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2007, 13:04:11 »

First of all: Stuart, thanks for the compliment abaut my English writing. I see your point know too. ;)
And Flemish is close to Dutch, yes.

But, like Master Captain said, let's get on-topic again! ;D

Could things like a virtual engine-room and such be added with add-on's/patches, like scenery's and ships?
In that case, VStep could extend SS08 on and on, in stead of making new versions every now and then.
I mean, if the engine for SS08 is the right one to use, that would be an idea, don't you agree?

I do hope it is clear what i mean... ::)

And yes, it still would be nice, if we could start/stop engines from the wheel-house in SS08.
m/s "Eemspoort"

CWi

• Forum member
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2007, 16:01:07 »

I agree, it would be great if you're able to stop the engines.
But how to controle 2 engines 1 in the bow and one at the back ? 
Do we need 2 controle panels one for each engine ?

Coen

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2007, 16:52:41 »

Yes, with multiple engines, we would need multiple controll-panels.
However, since VStep uses a hydraulic- or electric-type bowthrusters, we wouldn't need controll-panels for that. How do i "know" that? Because we can't regulate the rpm's of the bow-thrusters, so i presume that they are electric or hydraulic. ;)
m/s "Eemspoort"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines