Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 01:42:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

In future versions of SS, would you like to be able to start and stop the engines?

Yes
- 291 (95.1%)
No
- 4 (1.3%)
don't care
- 11 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 290

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engines  (Read 43423 times)

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
Re: Engines
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2007, 13:56:52 »

Hey, maybe your ideas running that late every time.. ;D

...and you need to have nerves made of steel to be a beta tester   ::)

I've got plenty of nerves and I am very patient and observant  ;)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

greyhill

• Forum member
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2007, 20:55:40 »

Used to find in heavy seas with gas tankers, which sit high out of the water even when loaded, or ships in ballast, that the prop used to come out of the water in a heavy swell triggering the rpm limiter, causing the main engines to disengage. nothing scarier than at 3 in the morning in a storm when all of a sudden the alarm panel lights up, alarms everwhere and the emergency lighting kicks in. Unless the duty engineer gets the engine back on line and you keep the bow into the sea, it can get very nasty very soon, the last thing you want is to go broadside to the sea. To replicate this type of engine failure and situation would be a test of skill for any wanabe sailor.
ships used to be made of wood, and sailed by men of steel, now the ships are made of steel, and the men of wood.

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: August 21, 2007, 21:30:04 »

Ohhhhhhhhhh yeah!!!!
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2007, 00:11:40 »

Now THAT would be something great for future editions. It's things like that that we landlubbers could never appreciate :)

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2007, 02:48:33 »

Carries on dreaming...
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2007, 09:38:43 »

Whilst making demands of 'I want this NOW' as others have done on this forum is a bit un necessary, comments and suggestions like that of Greyhill is excellent and hopefully an inspiration for future updates.

The thing I find so fascinating about talking with real professionals here is finding out about ships things I'd never have known otherwise. Yes, props coming out of the water- we all know. But I for one didn't realise what could then happen.

Must remember this for another time :D I think it's one of the best suggestions yet (and should be in requests and suggestions in case it gets missed)

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Brinch

• Forum member
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2007, 12:13:13 »

I don't think an engine room simulator is viable or even relevant for this sim. Making it realistic would probably put an unneeded load on the game.
I doubt a majority of the playerbase would find the actual work involved with starting up an engine room interesting for very long. At least that's my IRL experience.

What would be nice to have is proper engine control. As it is now we only have a (very) simplified kind of CPP as I se it. A nice addition would be fixed pitch control, as it's the norm on all medium to big cargo ships. (mayby just make it with simplified starting air use and production for a start)

of course making fixed pitch, variable pith and water jet work realisticly would be very nice.

Would also mean manouvering the big ships would be a little more interesting

And please make the engine sounds more realistic.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2007, 12:46:22 »

Hi Brinch. Welcome to the forum.

The should we/shouldn't we have engine room has been going on for ages now. And his proven quite devisive.

I think (as a non sailor with no commercial ship experience) that the handling of the ships is generally believable. However, seing how ships handle when a combnation of factors occur (like an engine shutdown in a storm) would be very good indeed.

Stu

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2007, 17:19:30 »

Hah, so this subject is still going (str)on(g)?

Like said before, these kind of big things could better be released in add-on-packs, i think.
So the player can deside for him-/herself, how realistic and wide-spanned the sim must be.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

Oh, and on inland-ships we don't have that kind of alarms and stuff. Okay, we don't have that big waves on inland-waters, however, the IJselmeer, Oosterschelde and Westerschelde can get real spooky sometimes. ;D
I've been on the Westerschelde with Westwind, force 11 Bft, and that ain't a treat for inland-ships. The propeller did hit air, and the engine did over-rev a few times, but since there where no electronics on that engine, it kept on running. Just hold your hand near the engine-controll and all is well.  ;)
m/s "Eemspoort"
1961, Hilgers A.G.-Rheinbröhl
76,2 x 8,20 x 2,72 mtr, 1085 ton
Deutz RBV 6 M 545, 800 HP @ 380 rpm
Daf KMD 250.2, 250 HP @ 1800 rpm, bowthruster

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2007, 19:54:43 »

maybe we could have the option of turning off the whole engine room so it doesn't slow down the game and then turn it on when you go down there and turn off the bridge or where ever you just were. KM

greyhill

• Forum member
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2007, 20:41:16 »

I think that the sim does not need a fully simulated engineroom, for any who have experienced an engineroom in reality will know that the day to day running is not very interesting to those other than engineers or lovers of all things mechanical. No offence to any 'part time mechanics' (nickname for engineers)  ;) using the forum, they know what i mean. I believe the solution would be a simple control panel on the bridge console with a start/ stop button and maybe a few gauges showing rpm or engine heat, not always wise to run the engines 100% all the time. Engine failures like the one i mentioned before about the props coming out the water could be replicated by blocking the user from starting the engine for a random amount of time simulating the engineers in the engineroom trying to fix the problem. A random engine failure text would appear on the screen like, piston jam, contaminated fuel, engine overheat ect. While the player is blocked from starting the engines he will have to keep control of the ship, with possible panic :D. Imagine as you enter a busy harbour entrance when suddenly the engines cut out due to you running the engines on 100% for too long, ships and other ai craft moving all around you and the harbour piers ahead to avoid, keep pressing the start button but nothing happening, just as you are about to ram an outbound ferry the engine kicks in just in time. Some of you might just break a sweat  8)
ships used to be made of wood, and sailed by men of steel, now the ships are made of steel, and the men of wood.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2007, 22:39:46 »

I think that the sim does not need a fully simulated engineroom, for any who have experienced an engineroom in reality will know that the day to day running is not very interesting to those other than engineers or lovers of all things mechanical. No offence to any 'part time mechanics' (nickname for engineers)  ;) using the forum, they know what i mean. I believe the solution would be a simple control panel on the bridge console with a start/ stop button and maybe a few gauges showing rpm or engine heat, not always wise to run the engines 100% all the time. Engine failures like the one i mentioned before about the props coming out the water could be replicated by blocking the user from starting the engine for a random amount of time simulating the engineers in the engineroom trying to fix the problem. A random engine failure text would appear on the screen like, piston jam, contaminated fuel, engine overheat ect. While the player is blocked from starting the engines he will have to keep control of the ship, with possible panic :D. Imagine as you enter a busy harbour entrance when suddenly the engines cut out due to you running the engines on 100% for too long, ships and other ai craft moving all around you and the harbour piers ahead to avoid, keep pressing the start button but nothing happening, just as you are about to ram an outbound ferry the engine kicks in just in time. Some of you might just break a sweat  8)

Haha I totally agree with you here. I think you have cracked it. I would love something like that to be introduced and I think we NEED more dials on the control bridge although so I'm told the bridges of some or all of the craft will be made more complex (to an amount I am unsure) in the upcoming patch.

Can't wait!!  ;D ;D

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2007, 23:23:27 »

yes more guages and dials, like fuel, temp, oil pressure, batter volts, etc. The bridge on SS08 now is blank

sonarman

• Forum member
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2007, 01:19:44 »

Imagine as you enter a busy harbour entrance when suddenly the engines cut out due to you running the engines on 100% for too long, ships and other ai craft moving all around you and the harbour piers ahead to avoid, keep pressing the start button but nothing happening, just as you are about to ram an outbound ferry the engine kicks in just in time. Some of you might just break a sweat  8)

Yes I think that's a great approach, a bow thruster failure could also be added forcing the player to either use tugs or the traditional method of ropes to warp the ship into her berth.

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2008, 01:37:37 »

well, i hate to bring up a VERY old topic (let me just dust things off) anyway, as you've all seen all our chatting, voting and hoping paid off. we got our wish with the engines :D

RYAN123

• Forum member
« Reply #165 on: August 03, 2009, 14:38:51 »

REMOVED
PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST
                                         Eric
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 15:03:15 by sadsid »
I shall return :evil:

I like Trains :)

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #166 on: August 03, 2009, 14:43:54 »

Wat a ...

1. You are raising a topic over a year old.

2. Randomly saying that to no one in particular shows to me that you seem to have a screw loose ;)

I hope you don't want to get respect on a forum by doing that, you respect everyone they'll respect you :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 15:47:22 by Shipaddict »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines