Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 01:40:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

In future versions of SS, would you like to be able to start and stop the engines?

Yes
- 291 (95.1%)
No
- 4 (1.3%)
don't care
- 11 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 290

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Engines  (Read 43421 times)

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
Re: Engines
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2007, 23:43:26 »

that should be a ton of fun, I once wus on a cruise ship when somthing like that happened

Me too. We were in rough seas with high winds and an accident happened on board and we had to do an airlift in the fowl weather. You bet I was outside taking a peek!
-Dave

Moderator, Ship Simulator Official Forums
Founder, The Ship Simulator New Vessel Design Group
Designer - Print, Branding, Fashion, Identity Systems

The New Vessel Design Group - Bringing gamers ideas to Ship Simulator

Gustav

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2007, 15:47:02 »

What kind of startup have you in mind,A button to press?
Sincerely Gustav.

"All religions must be accepted, Because every man must come to heaven the way he see fit". Whilhelm 2 "Whilhelm Grobe"

Nescit Occasum

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2007, 17:59:24 »

A button on the keyboard, using the mouse to turn keys or push buttons on the bridge or in the engine room, etc. Feel free to make suggestions. KM

Maik

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2007, 18:44:30 »

Maybe a sequence of keys. Like in Rigs of Rods, a amature truck game you start the trucks with the x key. Wich turns the key. And than holding the s button till it starts. Maybe this is an idea??

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2007, 20:10:16 »

That's a good idea! :)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2007, 00:29:50 »

My knowledge of the technical operation of ships is iffy, but somewhere along the line you need auxiliary generatos, air compressors, heaters for burning the heavy bunker fuel.

Also there are CPP units (contol pitch props) that need to be primed and run to pressure...

You could keep a simulator busy in the engine room alone...

Stuart
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Maik

• Forum member
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2007, 16:09:17 »

Well ok I have to say I don't have any experience with those things. But just pressing a few buttons will be a start wouldn't it.  Maybe half of those things you mentioned with a button asigned.

I don't think it's that hard to put in a game is it? Maybe someone can get this information to the developers. Maybe something for in a patch?

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2007, 16:37:48 »

My knowledge of the technical operation of ships is iffy, but somewhere along the line you need auxiliary generatos, air compressors, heaters for burning the heavy bunker fuel.

Also there are CPP units (contol pitch props) that need to be primed and run to pressure...

Stuart

Actually, engineroom (or more precisely engine control room) simulators have become a big business.  Modern ships no longer have just a throttle beside the main engine and a bunch of oil drip feeds!  An engineer's watch is stood mostly in the control room (sound insulated! and probably air conditioned), where he can turn on pumps, open valves, and keep watch on the engines all by remote control.

I don't know how this would fit into ShipSim, though, which is principally a deck officer's simulator.  All sorts of things could happen while you are down in the engineroom and not keeping watch on the bridge!

Cheers,
Michael

Cheers,
Michael
Michael Porter Marine Design
www.mp-marine.com

cargohauler

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2007, 19:30:43 »

What if...
We incorporated a multiplayer that lets people get on the same ship and have seperate jobs. Captain, 2nd mate, engineer, deck hand? 8) :o

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2007, 19:34:58 »

What if...
We incorporated a multiplayer that lets people get on the same ship and have seperate jobs. Captain, 2nd mate, engineer, deck hand? 8) :o

Now that's a great idea! But the only problem is that's a lot of captains! Imagine all the Ocean Stars and Titanics in Hamburg at a time. You'd need a schedule. ;D

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2007, 20:04:34 »

Stuart
like you said, you could keep someone busy just in the engine room. KM

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2007, 21:37:13 »

I think unless Vstep could be convinced of the commercial viability of an engineering simulator for the home PC it is very unlikely. Lets face it, joe public will always go for the bridge before the engine room.

As for a simulator that combines both, I suspect this would always be a compromise. I think a programme that tries to be everything to everyone would be a failure.

That said, a few ancilliary controls wouldn't go a miss. Full combinators, stabilisers, the sort of stuff the bridge controls directly.

Stuart
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

rvm3192

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2007, 22:17:55 »

I think the engine room is just going a little too far, not everyone will love the idea. I think it will just be something to slow down the game.
bon voyage! :)

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2007, 04:21:45 »

I think we should focus more on engine controlability rather than going TO the engine room.
-Dave

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2007, 09:38:44 »

I agree, The game will get heavy enough for the system, so adding more difficult scenery will not improve gameplay and such. Controlebillity has a higher priority, if you ask me.
m/s "Eemspoort"
1961, Hilgers A.G.-Rheinbröhl
76,2 x 8,20 x 2,72 mtr, 1085 ton
Deutz RBV 6 M 545, 800 HP @ 380 rpm
Daf KMD 250.2, 250 HP @ 1800 rpm, bowthruster

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2007, 10:27:35 »

greetings,
I also agree,with you Dave and Eemspoort.
It's a simulator for ships,and how to handle those.Can you go in FS around your plane,and check the tires,flaps and engine.
I dont think so.Why should we do it in Ship-sim?
The game gets more heavy on the system of some computers,on the end you have to keep up,on that system.This means for some our members,that they have to stop with the game,because of the money that is needed,for this.
Lets us just,keep it to steer vessels and real movements of that vessel and waters.This i think is more importent.
Regards
Marc
N

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2007, 12:09:30 »

I think it's important to keep up discussions like this even if what they are proposing is unpheasable.  Because bear in mind that one day they will be pheasable, perhaps the technology will have improved so you can get more stuff on a lesser computer and the general level of computer quality will be higher.  So it is worth talking about this now because one day it will be significant.

Maik

• Forum member
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2007, 19:22:53 »

greetings,
I also agree,with you Dave and Eemspoort.
It's a simulator for ships,and how to handle those.Can you go in FS around your plane,and check the tires,flaps and engine.

But the discusion began with starting the engine. And then it grew to creating a whole engine room. But I agree, it should stay with just simulating the sailing. But starting the engines would be great wouldn't it (A)

Gustav

• Forum member
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2007, 19:34:59 »

I'll find this intersting with engine rooms. But you'll have to mould the ground before building the house. ;)
Sincerely Gustav.

"All religions must be accepted, Because every man must come to heaven the way he see fit". Whilhelm 2 "Whilhelm Grobe"

Nescit Occasum

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2007, 19:36:39 »

to clear things up, I was not saying we should have the engine room moddeled, i was just stateing the fact that you could keep someone busy just in the engine room. I agree that the game is already heavy on the system, and we don't need the engine room, just a few more things on the bridge for the engines, ex. vital gauges, start, stop, etc. KM

Gustav

• Forum member
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2007, 19:38:29 »

I aggre but the bridge on the boats shown in the dev. videos is a little "empty". So a few gagues should do the trick.
Sincerely Gustav.

Nescit Occasum

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2007, 19:44:22 »

agreed, some more gaugues and things would be good, because as you said the bridge is a little empty. KM

rvm3192

• Forum member
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2007, 21:22:28 »

Me too. We were in rough seas with high winds and an accident happened on board and we had to do an airlift in the fowl weather. You bet I was outside taking a peek!

ya, I wus on the Carnival Victory and a guy had a heart attack or somthing like that
bon voyage! :)

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2007, 11:16:23 »

ya, I wus on the Carnival Victory and a guy had a heart attack or somthing like that

And I on Carnival Pride.
-Dave

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2007, 11:18:43 »

Like I mentioned previously, I think that negine control adds for a lot more mission profiles and much more controlability. Also, like in MSFS you could start to introduce where you have an engine failure and you have to get back, or you have to strategically try to navigate to port before you run out of fuel, etc . . .

That takes the realism to great heights. Something a lot of crews have to deal with daily. Then of course, we would need to develope fueling points in the game, similar to MSFS. Or, we would make where a fueling vessel must be requested or piloted to your ship and you must await refueling.

SEE?! The possibilities are endless!
-Dave

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines