Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 15:08:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Do You think we should be able to sail the Japanese whaling vessels or keep them as AI?

Yes, i would love to sail them
Not bothered really
Keep as AI

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Japanese Whaling Ships  (Read 11428 times)

Twistedlordi

• Forum member
Japanese Whaling Ships
« on: August 03, 2010, 12:12:55 »

Personally i think being able to sail these ships would be very interesting because, although they are not the fastest in the fleet, they are apparently still very maneuverable and speedy. In my opinion, they were engineered very well and i think we should have a chance to sail them, i was very disapointed that they turned out just to be AI.

saltydog

• Forum member
Re: Japanese Whaling Ships
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 12:32:50 »

Let's have submarines as well..I would love to hunt down those whalers, give them a torpedo to "research" .. ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 13:06:27 by saltydog »

Sjoerd92

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 13:12:23 »

Personally i think being able to sail these ships would be very interesting because, although they are not the fastest in the fleet, they are apparently still very maneuverable and speedy. In my opinion, they were engineered very well and i think we should have a chance to sail them, i was very disapointed that they turned out just to be AI.

agree :thumbs:

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 13:34:28 »

Let's have submarines as well..I would love to hunt down those whalers, give them a torpedo to "research" .. ;D

lol
My New Favorite Ship Is The Zilver :D
2000  "Virtual - Safety Training & Education Platform"
This Game Is Epic

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 14:18:01 »

They'd probably kill defuse it before they took it aboard :-\
Almost never here, try here.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 04:44:08 »

Hi guys,

These AI ships do not possess the detailed birdge interior, nor the external detail level, to even be suitable as good player ships. Just like the other AI vessels.

So, sorry, but doesn't seem like it's gonna happen.

And I don't think Greenpeace really likes the idea of those ships potentially being used more than their own, in the game. So perhaps there's even a clause not to have the whalers playable. I wouldn't be surprised.

Also, a vessel needs 'something to do', to be worthy of being playable. There have to be mission/campaign possibilities.

And what will you then do with them?  Missions should have a purpose, not just 'sail the ship around so you can admire their speed and agility'.

So the only missions you could do with them are whaling missions, as that is their purpose. And again, I don't think Greenpeace would have cooperated if another part of the game is going out whaling.  ::)

Fred.

Twistedlordi

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 01:01:27 »

aye, tis a sad truth, the only other way you would have missions for them would be to fend of greenpeace and greenpeace might not like that ;) real shame though

dodweb

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 01:15:04 »

Didnt Frank say that there was no clause/contract signed with Greenpeace regarding these things? Or was that only referring to Sea Shepheard?

One potential use for an old whaling ship is whale watching :) I know several norwegian whaling ships have been converted to bring tourists out to the whales instead of whales to the tourists, turns out that theres more money in doing it that way. We do have smaller whaling ships up here, I guess the economy of running something that big is slightly different... Round-the-world-whale-whatching-safari-cruise-for-the-extremely-wealthy? Could involve issues like those described in the preorder bonus fishing vessel missions and "Cruise from hell"-campaign to let players "admire their speed and agility" in a mission-specific setting.

Perhaps as a later addition to the Shipyard for a few euros?  ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:20:06 by dodweb »

larsdehaan

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 07:49:56 »

@ mad_fred greenpeace isnt the boss of v-step if they don't like it tough luck its a ship that doesn't want to be used for ''research''

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 07:59:21 »

Of course they are not the boss of them, Lars. But that wasn't the point. And this cooperation is based on mutual agreement and respect, they won't just go 'tough luck' and do something that GP obviously would not like.

And Greenpeace would indeed surely not be happy if they knew the whaling ships were used in actual whaling missions, in the same game where they themselves are also represented as being anti-whaling. They might not even have agreed to cooperate if so. You don't know what they have agreed on. Neither do I. But it's just common sense to me that this 'discussion point' is only approached from the side of the so called 'good guys'.

And 'research' is a very loosely used term in this matter anyway. They're not researching, they are fishing. And I'm not even against whaling myself. It's no worse than killing any other animal for our non-immediate personal use, in my book.

Just looking at it logically, and predicting what might or might not happen that way.

Fred

larsdehaan

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 09:52:44 »

Of course they are not the boss of them, Lars. But that wasn't the point. And this cooperation is based on mutual agreement and respect, they won't just go 'tough luck' and do something that GP obviously would not like.

And Greenpeace would indeed surely not be happy if they knew the whaling ships were used in actual whaling missions, in the same game where they themselves are also represented as being anti-whaling. They might not even have agreed to cooperate if so. You don't know what they have agreed on. Neither do I. But it's just common sense to me that this 'discussion point' is only approached from the side of the so called 'good guys'.

And 'research' is a very loosely used term in this matter anyway. They're not researching, they are fishing. And I'm not even against whaling myself. It's no worse than killing any other animal for our non-immediate personal use, in my book.

Just looking at it logically, and predicting what might or might not happen that way.

Fred
fred that socalled research thing i know thats why i use '' when i type research

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 10:05:38 »

:thumbs:

Gnarly

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 19:55:19 »

I like the sub idea...so we could hunt down the dumb people on the 'sea Sheppard' fleet and sink it....just a bunch of pirates, who need a bath.

* Edited for language - Fred
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 19:57:34 by Mad_Fred »

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 20:11:36 »

I like the sub idea...so we could hunt down the dumb people on the 'sea Sheppard' fleet and sink it....just a bunch of pirates, who need a bath.

Please be careful Gnarly about posting "hateful" comments against organizations out there.
There are a lot of people in the forum who quite like Sea Shepherd and it isn't particularly nice for them to see nasty comments against something they believe so much in.
The same for Greenpeace.
I only say that as it's nice to keep the forum friendly, and in the past there have been a few little arguments over Sea Shepherd and Greenpeace particularly.

I hope you understand and I say it in a friendly manner just to let you know, and welcome to the forum  :thumbs:

Kind Regards

Matthew

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 21:34:53 »

this guy seems like a rammer. it'll be fun to see him in a MP game :thumbdown:

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 22:06:52 »

This is a bit like 'the pot calling the kettle...'  guys.

I can link to some pretty strong and hateful remarks of some Sea Shepard fans, present one included, directed to 'the other side'.

And rammers, is a bit.. ironic.. to be using as a word here.. since Paul Watson is a 'rammer'.  ::)

If we can't play nice, and accept the same remarks that you give in return, then soon, this venue of conversation shall once again be locked off.

So.. Let's not go there again!  :thumbs:

Fred.

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 22:09:08 »

This is a bit like 'the pot calling the kettle...'  guys.

I can link to some pretty strong and hateful remarks of some Sea Shepard fans, present one included, directed to 'the other side'.

And rammers, is a bit.. ironic.. to be using as a word here.. since Paul Watson is a 'rammer'.  ::)

If we can't play nice, and accept the same remarks that you give in return, then soon, this venue of conversation shall once again be locked off.

So.. Let's not go there again!  :thumbs:

Fred.
sorry  :-[

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 09:43:08 »

Right Fred..  I think we can all agree to disagree on this one.. :)
I for one won't comment anymore on this subject in future..
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 17:17:19 by saltydog »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 10:11:00 »

Oh, yeah.. we can all agree to disagree on the subject. But the facts remain the facts and they are undisputed.

But when people have a go at whalers in one topic, with harsh words and unsubstantiated claims based on silly propaganda, in an attacking manner...  And then want to straighten out someone else who does the same very thing, only from the other side...

Then it's called 'hypocricy' and that's just not gonna fly here if I have any say in the matter. If they see fit to hand it out, they also have to be prepared to take some in. That's all I wanted to make clear. And it's always the ones that shout the loudest, that actually know the least about the actual facts, actual statistics, actual laws and actual events. They take a biassed TV show as factual documentary. And that's not decent research.

You just can't go and verbally attack whalers in one topic with all sorts of claims that are mostly based upon propaganda and not facts, and then get high and mighty when the anti-whalers get attacked in return (with more factual backing actually).

That's my take on it. We've already had too many heated fanboy discussions here, and usaully it's not based on anything concrete, only fingerpointing and mudslinging..  :-\

And it reflects badly upon the forum, Vstep, AND the environmental organisations themselves aswell.

Regards,
Fred

JOHN LYLE

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 15:23:03 »

I see that the Sea Shepard Soceity has been mentioned. They are a bunch of terrorists and liars. They claimed that a Canadian Coastguard icebreaker "rammed them a couple of years ago. Now look carefully at the videos they posted. In the first collision the coastguard vessel is clearly altering to port and away from the Sea shepard vessel, while the sea shepard vessel is basically holding course. He was more manoeuvrable than the coast guard vessel and could easily have avoided the collision which ended up with the two vessels scrapping their sides and no damage done aside from scrapped paint. The second collision the waterline at the bow of the icebreaker can clearly be seen, NO BOW WAVE, meaniny the ice breaker was either stopped or going astern. The Sea shepard vessel cut across the bow of the ice breaker scraping the paint. When you look down the length of the port side of the icebreaker, as the seashepard vessle passes the bow,  the prop wash of the icebreaker is coming forward so the ice breaker was going astern. The Sea shepard vessel was clearly at fault for both collisions. Yet they screamed "THEY RAMMED US!!!!" and all the uniformed people believed them. So they are liars and I feel the same way about Greenpeace.
John

" The ark was built by an amature, the Titanic was built by professionals"

larsdehaan

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 15:24:56 »

I see that the Sea Shepard Soceity has been mentioned. They are a bunch of terrorists and liars. They claimed that a Canadian Coastguard icebreaker "rammed them a couple of years ago. Now look carefully at the videos they posted. In the first collision the coastguard vessel is clearly altering to port and away from the Sea shepard vessel, while the sea shepard vessel is basically holding course. He was more manoeuvrable than the coast guard vessel and could easily have avoided the collision which ended up with the two vessels scrapping their sides and no damage done aside from scrapped paint. The second collision the waterline at the bow of the icebreaker can clearly be seen, NO BOW WAVE, meaniny the ice breaker was either stopped or going astern. The Sea shepard vessel cut across the bow of the ice breaker scraping the paint. When you look down the length of the port side of the icebreaker, as the seashepard vessle passes the bow,  the prop wash of the icebreaker is coming forward so the ice breaker was going astern. The Sea shepard vessel was clearly at fault for both collisions. Yet they screamed "THEY RAMMED US!!!!" and all the uniformed people believed them. So they are liars and I feel the same way about Greenpeace.
how long did that take you to write?.....

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 15:28:01 »

Oh dear  :-\
This is a topic specially for talking about the Japanese whaling ships in the game SSE.
So it's much better if we can keep on topic and not deviate.
Why just come on here and say that? :(

Otherwise it could get locked  :-\
Please?

Kind Regards

Matthew

JOHN LYLE

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 15:46:19 »

how long did that take you to write?.....

not that long, about three minutes because I am not exactly a fast typer.
John

" The ark was built by an amature, the Titanic was built by professionals"

nvanloo97

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 17:30:48 »

the whalers are good looking ships, but i'd prefer the Greenpeace ships.  :captain:

Ship Simulator 2008 and Ship Simulator Extremes online name: Captain Flint.

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 17:47:08 »

Yes  :)

Can't wait for the Esperanza most of all, still hoping the helicopter is playable  :thumbs:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines