Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 11:36:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 2008vs2010  (Read 35638 times)

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Re: 2008vs2010
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2009, 12:55:35 »

I just think the Sherpa is ugly as sin, and it's embarrassing to pilot. If I could photoshop it, I would change the green to black and the blue to yellow/gold, or maybe the green to fire engine red and the blue to black. If it makes them happy, I won't change any logos or company names if I decide to share it with the community.

Guess you wouldn't like this

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2009, 14:59:25 »

I just think the Sherpa is ugly as sin, and it's embarrassing to pilot. If I could photoshop it, I would change the green to black and the blue to yellow/gold, or maybe the green to fire engine red and the blue to black. If it makes them happy, I won't change any logos or company names if I decide to share it with the community.
Well, you can't so tough. Sorry.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2009, 15:04:41 »

Guess you wouldn't like this

Or even this?

keep it gnarly

Firestar

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2009, 18:45:56 »

As Firestar mentioned after my first post, VStep doesn't care about eyecandy , it just strives for accuracy. So whether they use Google Earth or graphics from a Commodore 64, as long as the dynamics are perfect, who cares, right ?!! He also said user preference is not important with SS, so VStep could care less about what their customers want.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want an arcade game. I'm only asking for a realistic simulator with the ability to modify .tga or .dds files so I can paint ships in my own colors or design new menu screens and menu music. I have a submarine simulator called Silent Hunter 3 that has all those qualities, and some of the community modders are more talented than the Dev Team that created the game. I can also care less if Microsoft, Ubisoft, Activision, or Zynga build the game, just as long as they give the customer what they want.

Sorry for opening this can of worms, I was unaware this was a no frills simulator  :doh:
Then again, being able to modify the textures isn't what the game is about, otherwise the texture's wouldn't be accurate.

Also, SH3 is a game, not a simulation. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to modify textures.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2009, 18:52:11 »

Nicely put, Firestar. I could imagine (and I am GUESSING HERE) that when P&O, for example, agreed for the PoR to go in, one of the things they MIGHT have specified is no dodgy paint jobs from enthusiasts.

When puddles, or whatever his name was, suggested he could repaint the models but leave the original name on... I suspect this is one of the reasons why it isn't permitted...
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Tuddley

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2009, 00:19:15 »

Then again, being able to modify the textures isn't what the game is about, otherwise the texture's wouldn't be accurate.

Also, SH3 is a game, not a simulation. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to modify textures.

SH3 is far from a game, it's more of a simulator than SS is, and it is because of the community modders that it is that way. As I said before, some of the community modders are far more talented than the dev team, and have created more accurate and realistic campaigns, ship textures, and single missions that came stock in SH3. Another thing, it's all freeware (I am actually an owner of a download site for Silent Hunter and ex-moderator for the SH Ubisoft forums). So before you go and tell me SH is not a simulator, try it first, then give me your opinion. Just because you can modify textures doesn't disqualify a product as being a simulator.

Also, as far as all of you saying that if SS was more modder friendly, it would ruin it. No, it would make it improvements to what VStep has already done, and some of the community modders would also fix more bugs that are included in patches.

If there is a ship texture, mission, or new scenery objects available to download that you don't like, you don't have to download it. Some of us like flavor in our food, but if you choose to continue to eat bland rice cakes, then I won't stop you. SS 2008 is no frills, and highly monopolized by VStep (for example the Creator Forum, how tight lipped can you get).

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2009, 00:22:52 »

If you could modify everything in SS then people would end up ruinning it and then they would complain about it, and its just a big pain to have to help everybody rectify their mistakes. Its better this way, it not a no frills sim, your just here annoying everyone. i'm sure people have asked for this before, but its much better this way. This is not the place for you, if all you want to do is modify everything in the game, it was made the way it was for a reason, if you want something that you can modify to your hearts content, try Virtual Sailor.

The company's that have allowed their vessels to be used in the game, obviously do not want people going and making them look like rubbish by repainting them.

And just to let you know, SH3 is a game, not a Sim, i've already tried it. Its a waste of my time, to be quite honest.  It just makes no sense to have a Sim where you can modify everything to your liking, because, im sure people would mess things up, ask for help, and then it wouldn't be given.

And its called Modelling, and Modellers, not Modding and Modders, gosh  ::)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 00:33:39 by Kapn Jonah »
Regards,
Jonah

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2009, 00:28:22 »

Tuddley, as I said, try Virtual Sailor!   This game isn't for your modding appetite.

http://www.hangsim.com/vs/

http://hangsim.com/forums/
keep it gnarly

Tuddley

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2009, 02:32:39 »

If you could modify everything in SS then people would end up ruinning it and then they would complain about it, and its just a big pain to have to help everybody rectify their mistakes. Its better this way, it not a no frills sim, your just here annoying everyone. i'm sure people have asked for this before, but its much better this way. This is not the place for you, if all you want to do is modify everything in the game, it was made the way it was for a reason, if you want something that you can modify to your hearts content, try Virtual Sailor.

The company's that have allowed their vessels to be used in the game, obviously do not want people going and making them look like rubbish by repainting them.

And just to let you know, SH3 is a game, not a Sim, i've already tried it. Its a waste of my time, to be quite honest.  It just makes no sense to have a Sim where you can modify everything to your liking, because, im sure people would mess things up, ask for help, and then it wouldn't be given.

And its called Modelling, and Modellers, not Modding and Modders, gosh  ::)

You obviously tried the stock version without adding any of the mods. And because we call everything mods (meaning modification), we call the people that modify or create the new files modders. I've been playing SH3 for 4 years, and it's way better now than the stock version was ever meant to be. Like I said, if you don't like any of the community created ships etc, no one is pointing a gun to your head to download it, and you can continue to play it plain vanilla. SH3 is not ruined, it been drastically improved, otherwise I would not own a download website out of my own pocket for it. Yes, there are some real cheezy mods, but it has not ruined my installation because I did not install any cheezy mods.

Virtual Sailor looks like an arcade game, and I bet the ship dynamics are absolutely horrible to where a 5 yr old could play it.

I am not trying to annoy anybody, because I wouldn't allow it on my own website. It would just be nice to have a decent simulator such as SS with it's accurate boat control and challenging missions (which looks like Virtual Sailor seems to be lacking), with the option to download repaints, scenery items, or be able to fix bugs that the dev team wont fix.

If someone offered you a choice between 2 cars, which one would you choose ...

1) Dodge Neon with no radio, no air, no heat, bald tires, and still in dull primer gray.

or

2) Ford Mustang with AM/FM/100 CD Changer, air conditioning, heat, fresh new tires, and a high gloss paint job any color you wanted.

#1 represents Ship Sim 2008, and #2 would be Ship Sim 2010 Extremes with your choice to do what you want to do with it.

But since you guys like cheap boring stuff, I'll leave you alone with your vanilla simulator and attitudes, and I'll show myself to the door. It's like talking to a fence post in here.

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2009, 04:47:10 »

I'm just going to stop talking to you, because i've tried to put my point accross to you in several topics, yet you just dont get it. And at this point, i want to say what i am not allowed to say here, and i am doing my best to contain it.

Maybe your idea will be used, i hope you know that the Developers DO read this forum, and they know about the bugs. However, what is the point of patching up SS08, when they are working on SSE?
 :-\
Regards,
Jonah

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2009, 09:18:52 »

Virtual Sailor looks like an arcade game, and I bet the ship dynamics are absolutely horrible to where a 5 yr old could play it.

You said that your community modders are more talented than the dev team, so there's nothing that holding you from modifying & improving the VS then.  ???
keep it gnarly

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2009, 11:33:16 »

If someone offered you a choice between 2 cars, which one would you choose ...

1) Dodge Neon with no radio, no air, no heat, bald tires, and still in dull primer gray.

or

2) Ford Mustang with AM/FM/100 CD Changer, air conditioning, heat, fresh new tires, and a high gloss paint job any color you wanted.

#1 represents Ship Sim 2008, and #2 would be Ship Sim 2010 Extremes with your choice to do what you want to do with it.

But since you guys like cheap boring stuff, I'll leave you alone with your vanilla simulator and attitudes, and I'll show myself to the door. It's like talking to a fence post in here.

I would have thought that #1 is SH3 and #2 is Ship Sim, since it comes with all those things, whereas with SH3 you have to add things on afterwards to make it any good...
Almost never here, try here.

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2009, 18:03:02 »

I would have thought that #1 is SH3 and #2 is Ship Sim, since it comes with all those things, whereas with SH3 you have to add things on afterwards to make it any good...

Yes, thats a good point McG ;)
Regards,
Jonah

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2009, 22:07:49 »

SS 2008 is no frills, and highly monopolized by VStep (for example the Creator Forum, how tight lipped can you get).

And is Flight Similator not highly monopolised by Microsoft for the past 25 years until its demise? iTunes heavily monopolised by Apple?

If you don't like SS2008 because you are unable to modify and create your own ships then perhaps you are in the wrong camp.

I have owned and played Virtual Sailor (which everyone is able to upload their own ships etc) and I have to say that I have not really enjoyed it. The novelty wears off quickly and frankly at times the dynamics really sucks big time and can become uncontrollable (ships spinning like that young girl's head in The Excorist).

Thank you but no, I'll leave Ship Simulator to the experts who knows the best - the Vstep guys.
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2009, 13:25:45 »

that young girl's head in The Excorist

Wasn't that Meryl Streep?

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2009, 17:24:09 »

Wasn't that Meryl Streep?

No, it was Linda Blair, who played the young possesed girl. One of the scariest films I've ever seen!  ;D
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2009, 20:13:13 »

I've seen a scarier BLAIR

Truly a frightening bliar. Put me off my lager.

TerryRussell

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2009, 00:30:41 »

Gentlemen.

This is "Development Corner", not "Small Talk".

Thanks.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2009, 00:35:01 »

Gentlemen.

This is "Development Corner", not "Small Talk".

Thanks.
Well, as long as no one develops a ship model looking like blair then we'll be ok.

I think though that put puddle in his place anyway

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2009, 00:54:21 »

Well, as long as no one develops a ship model looking like blair then we'll be ok.

I think though that put puddle in his place anyway
I think I know what my next model should look like now...

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2009, 01:21:06 »

I think I know what my next model should look like now...
If you model anything like that- put it in MP, I'll join in and sink it... if its ugliness doesn't do it itself.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2009, 16:36:22 »

I think Pudsey's gone, and he's not coming back.

If someone wants to move this topic to small talk they're quite welcome.

And if someone wanted to make a boat out of Cherie Blair, then it wouldn't float without public funding.

TerryRussell

« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2009, 18:06:01 »

I think Pudsey's gone, and he's not coming back.

If someone wants to move this topic to small talk they're quite welcome.

And if someone wanted to make a boat out of Cherie Blair, then it wouldn't float without public funding.

It does rather seem to have degenerated into a load of chatter, doesn't it?  ;)

Moved, as requested!  :thumbs:

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2009, 18:22:31 »

It does rather seem to have degenerated into a load of chatter, doesn't it?  ;)

Moved, as requested!  :thumbs:

All Hail The Goderator!

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2009, 18:28:36 »

Just think how awesome the game would be if Microsoft was the developer. Although it would probably crash more. lol

Microsoft games are quiet good.... but they have the good area you need to regester the prodect online and then tipe down the athration code and then see if it will work and if not. tuff. and quet expecive and Big.  :o and we beter leave them to make Windows 8.  and VSTEP are better.
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines