Hello Guest September 29, 2024, 03:27:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Are you pleased to see Dover-Calais in the same environment

Absolutely
Very
Completely
Totally

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Dover - Calais WILL be in the same environment. (was The HQ of the "Dover-Calais  (Read 186470 times)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
Re: The HQ of the "Dover-Calais in same environment" campaign team
« Reply #250 on: October 13, 2009, 23:21:40 »

Well, I was thinking by now, its only about 5 months till release, so maybe they have a final ship list by now? i was just assuming, as i said "have they not?"

Who knows

But as Captain Darling said, unless you have seen the list you don't know what is on it...

TFMs Guide to Crossing the Dover Channel (http://forum.shipsim.com/index.php/topic,21107.0.html)

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #251 on: October 13, 2009, 23:26:44 »

I know that QM2 will be in SSE!  :2thumbs:    Why?  Because Jonah said so!    (Don't let me post the link to that daft topic!)
keep it gnarly

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #252 on: October 13, 2009, 23:49:02 »

Oh my god really? We're going to bring that up again? It doesn't do well to dwell on the past....

I didn't say they had a final list, i was asking if they did, and as I said I assumed they did as there are only about 5 months until release.... it doesn't matter though, but I doubt that SR.N4 will be in it.

She would be a fun craft to handle especially in Phi Phi Islands.

Regards,
Jonah
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 12:02:32 by Kapn Jonah »
Regards,
Jonah

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #253 on: October 14, 2009, 06:56:46 »

We can only hope!
Almost never here, try here. (http://www.cliosport.net)

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #254 on: October 14, 2009, 11:58:19 »

Exactly....
Regards,
Jonah

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #255 on: October 14, 2009, 12:43:30 »

Wow! and I thought only I could start arguements over nothing.

We don't want any arguements or fighting here... We are a peaceful campaign and death to anyone who says otherwise.

For the benefit of Nations that do not understand irony, just consider it a joke. I can't be bothered to explain what irony is again.

I like that photo of the flymo lawn mower on the beach with all those people around it... I can't imagine those risk-averse people at the EU H&S teams allowing that now...

Objections
"Ooohhh... we can't allow H/C on the beach. Imagine the mess if someone ran into a propellor... We would lose our blue flag, clean beach, status."
Response
"To do that is stupid. Do we NEED stupid people on the planet?"

Objections
"The h/c is sooooo environmentally un-friendly... Think of those poor polar bears, hugging diminishing lumps of ice".
Response
"When was the last time you saw a polar bear (or ice for that matter) in Dover-Calais in the same environment anyway? ::)

Objections
"H/C are sooooo noisy"
Response
Removed before moderators see it It translated as "go forth and multiply"

Objections
"But Britain invented the H/C and we CAN'T admit that Britain is good at anything"
Response
"Ah... I didn't think of that one"
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #256 on: October 14, 2009, 20:34:34 »

Objections
"Ooohhh... we can't allow H/C on the beach. Imagine the mess if someone ran into a propellor... We would lose our blue flag, clean beach, status."

It's not like there aren't enough warnings already

Objections
"The h/c is sooooo environmentally un-friendly... Think of those poor polar bears, hugging diminishing lumps of ice".
Hovercraft are actually one of the best ways of getting around in environmentally sensitive, due to their lack of wake and the fact that the pressure footprint of a hovercraft is less than that of a seagull standing on one leg
Objections
"H/C are sooooo noisy"
Hovercraft generate less noise than a vessel of the same size and capable of the same speeds.
Objections
"But Britain invented the H/C and we CAN'T admit that Britain is good at anything"
Blasphemy! yes we can! Blighty!

v.h94

• Beta Tester
« Reply #257 on: October 14, 2009, 20:57:31 »

I totaly agree with McGherkin  and i have finaly decided which ferrys/hovercrafts i'm going to atleast try to model for SS and those 2 ferrys is.

1.Finnlady  (Hight Speed Ferry owned by Finnlines)

2.SR.N4 (Look at the topic)

I did decide for that yesterday, i make 2 models of SR.N4 one for SS and one in SU for my secret projekt ;)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #258 on: October 17, 2009, 22:44:09 »

There can never be enough. People can not be allowed to think for themselves- at least not in EU anyway.

Hovercraft are actually one of the best ways of getting around in environmentally sensitive, due to their lack of wake and the fact that the pressure footprint of a hovercraft is less than that of a seagull standing on one legHovercraft
Apart from the 1.5 tonnes of fuel per hour for a relatively small passenger/cargo load... I think the polar bears of the world will be more concerned at the CO2 emmissions than a bit of wave turbulence. You must have seen some VERY heavy seagulls...

Hovercraft generate less noise than a vessel of the same size and capable of the same speeds.Blasphemy! yes we can! Blighty!
Really? Where did you get this idea from... Certainly it doesn't match up with my recollection from being in Dover and almost deafened by the Princesses. Somewhat noisier than their replacement Cats, which weren't that much bigger...

Hovercraft are actually one of the best ways of getting around in environmentally sensitive, due to their lack of wake and the fact that the pressure footprint of a hovercraft is less than that of a seagull standing on one legHovercraft generate less noise than a vessel of the same size and capable of the same speeds.Blasphemy! yes we can! Blighty!
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #259 on: October 18, 2009, 13:09:42 »

Apart from the 1.5 tonnes of fuel per hour for a relatively small passenger/cargo load... I think the polar bears of the world will be more concerned at the CO2 emmissions than a bit of wave turbulence. You must have seen some VERY heavy seagulls...
Hovercraft will always be more efficient than conventional boats because boats have to deal with water resistance, and need more power to move at speed.
Really? Where did you get this idea from... Certainly it doesn't match up with my recollection from being in Dover and almost deafened by the Princesses. Somewhat noisier than their replacement Cats, which weren't that much bigger...
SR.N4 was very noisy as it had four Rolls-Royce Proteus gas-turbine engines, and also massive unducted propellors. Modern hovercraft use quieter, more efficient high-speed diesels. Also, propellors generate most of their noise laterally, that is to say sideways from the edges of the propellor. Modern hovercraft have a casing around the propellor which captures and absorbs this sound, and also the propellors themselves have been improved in terms of their noise output.

I know too much about hovercraft for my own good.

TerryRussell

« Reply #260 on: October 18, 2009, 13:28:26 »

I always believed that hovercraft were immensely inefficient, compared to a vessel with a standard displacement hull, travelling at standard displacement spoeeds. (Look at a horse-drawn barge. 1 horse power by definition, but travels happily for large distances at about 4 mph on a few bales of hay).

Compare the fuel consumption of a hovercraft carrying 50 passengers with a ferry carrying the same load. (I don't have time to get the figures, but I recall that the hovercraft consumes a lot more fuel due to having to thrust itself a few feet into the air, constantly).

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #261 on: October 18, 2009, 14:24:15 »

Terry

The figure I recall was actually 1.27 tonnes for the Dover-Calais (in the same environment) crossing... But remember that is less than an hour (as I incorrectly quoted above).

I was told that, by volume, the big old flymos used as more fuel for the crossing than the superseacat. Consider the difference in capacity...

And the hovermower needs a higher grade of fuel, akin to jet fuel, than the eggwhisker.

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #262 on: October 18, 2009, 18:46:09 »

I was told that, by volume, the big old flymos used as more fuel for the crossing than the superseacat. Consider the difference in capacity...

woo go the superseacats!  :D

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #263 on: October 18, 2009, 20:39:00 »

woo go the superseacats!  :D
The incats are more efficient than the superseacats. ;)

Hence why the IOMSPC didn't renew the charter for Superseacat 2 (viking) and bought their own incat fastcraft (Incat 050, Manannan).
Regards,
James

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #264 on: October 18, 2009, 20:39:46 »

Hence why the IOMSPC didn't renew the charter for Superseacat 2 (viking) and bought their own incat fastcraft (Incat 050, Manannan).

2nd InCat  ;)

TFMs Guide to Crossing the Dover Channel (http://forum.shipsim.com/index.php/topic,21107.0.html)

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #265 on: October 18, 2009, 20:47:23 »

yup. i prefer Viking's looks though, can't beat her

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #266 on: October 18, 2009, 20:52:21 »

2nd InCat  ;)
Yeah 2nd Incat in the fleet. :)
Regards,
James

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #267 on: October 21, 2009, 10:51:08 »

You must have seen some VERY heavy seagulls...
Damage to the shore environment, such as beaches, mud flats and vegetation is virtually nil because of the hovercraft’s low pressure "footprint".   For example, the average human being when standing on a beach exerts a pressure of some 3lbs per square inch underfoot, rising locally to 25lbs per square inch when walking.  The average hovercraft by comparison, exerts a pressure of only 0.33lb per square inch on the surface regardless of speed.  This "footprint" pressure is less than that of a
seagull standing on one leg!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #268 on: October 22, 2009, 23:01:01 »

And this is more important than CO, CO2, PM, ABC, XYZ???

I don't think the sea or beach is OVERLY damaged by people standing on it.

In any case, are you sure you have your numbers right there??? Hovercrafts still have to abide by the laws of physics (and if they don't abide by those laws, a decent barrister should be able to get them off their charges)

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #269 on: October 22, 2009, 23:05:28 »

;D

keep it gnarly

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #270 on: October 22, 2009, 23:07:58 »

WM, I'm not even going to ask...  :o

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #272 on: October 23, 2009, 16:38:46 »

Oh I want one of those  ;D

Flying shoe brush?

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #273 on: October 23, 2009, 20:52:40 »

Flying shoe brush?

http://www.techcraving.com/hoverwing-hovercraft-by-rudy-heeman-flys-45-feet-above-water/

keep it gnarly

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #274 on: November 15, 2009, 10:04:53 »

It's been a very quiet few weeks at the campaign headquarters.

However, given that DCITSE is third in importance after 1) Marmite 2) Life. It seems that now is a good time to remind all members of the campaign that

Dover - Calais in one environment is for life (until 2011/SSME anyway) and not just for 2ndQ2010.

Go out there and pledge to adopt a copy of SSE-DCITSE. Do it now.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines