Hello Guest June 17, 2024, 10:42:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Are you pleased to see Dover-Calais in the same environment

Absolutely
Very
Completely
Totally

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Dover - Calais WILL be in the same environment. (was The HQ of the "Dover-Calais  (Read 185347 times)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
Re: The HQ of the "Dover-Calais in same environment" campaign team
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2009, 23:34:46 »

Let us hope so...

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2009, 23:35:38 »

TFM... How many signatures can we count on to send a PM to pjotr?

Not enough... can we hack into peoples accounts instead?
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Quaysider

• Forum member
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2009, 23:37:05 »

I did before it got changed... that's why I'm annoyed.

I'd rather see the Humber modelled first so we can berth POR at Hull. And no not in the same environment. Dover-Calais doesn't mean anything without it's associated ferries. And thinking something doesn't mean it will be there.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2009, 23:37:38 »

TFM... How many signatures can we count on to send a PM to pjotr?

Not enough... can we hack into peoples accounts instead?

Yo can try, but I think Mad_fred will take an accpetion and get madder and redder...

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2009, 23:39:45 »

I did before it got changed... that's why I'm annoyed.

I'd rather see the Humber modelled first so we can berth POR at Hull. And no not in the same environment. Dover-Calais doesn't mean anything without it's associated ferries. And thinking something doesn't mean it will be there.

That's a good aim as well... Perhaps you should start a Hull-Rotterdam in not-the-same-environment. And we can support each others campaigns.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2009, 00:48:32 »

What a stupid topic did this become?

I voted NO, and now you changed the vote into I really really want to.

That isn't funny!

Why don't you call Vstep every day and shout very loud: I want Dover and Calais in one enviroment.
That is just as effective as this topic, biceaus i shure don't take you serious anymore.

I say it once more, I think it is a stupid idea.
So please don't manipulate the votes of people who don't want it.

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2009, 09:09:22 »

What a stupid topic did this become?

I voted NO, and now you changed the vote into I really really want to.

That isn't funny!

Why don't you call Vstep every day and shout very loud: I want Dover and Calais in one enviroment.
That is just as effective as this topic, biceaus i shure don't take you serious anymore.

I say it once more, I think it is a stupid idea.
So please don't manipulate the votes of people who don't want it.

Corrected it for you  ;)  ;D

Nathan|C

« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2009, 09:11:33 »

Sam,

So you're against adding more content to the game? If you think it's boring and we're "freaks" for playing it, that's your opinion, but If you don't like it, don't play it.

Quaysider

• Forum member
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2009, 09:21:45 »

That's a good aim as well... Perhaps you should start a Hull-Rotterdam in not-the-same-environment. And we can support each others campaigns.

To be honest I'll be happy with whatever VSTEP supply - I think they know that people want the earth but they can only do so much. Just be grateful there is a ship sim (and a new one on the way) - in these uncertain economic times they could just pull the plug and concentrate on the comercial side after all.

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2009, 09:33:08 »

NathanC,

Somebody asks my opinion so I give my opinion.

Why should I be against new content in the game???

I think that Dover and Calais in one enviroment is stupid.
Firstly, I think it is unpossible for a average computer to run it ok.
And secondly, I don't want to sit behind my pc following the same course for more then one hour.

Missions should be short, fun and challenging, like mooring a containership in Hamburg for example.
Not long and boring.

Nathan|C

« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2009, 09:42:38 »

Like I said, you don't sit on one course for an hour. The channel is very busy!

As for a normal computer not being able to run it, well no, I think Rotterdam is way more detailed than Dover and Calais in one enviroment will ever be. Rotterdam is something like 25nm wide and and Dover-Calais are 22nm apart, so it's easily possible. And because half of the environment will be open sea, it will be easier to run?

There's nothing stopping you from creating a mission which starts outside Dover and you have to dock a containership, too....
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 19:12:35 by Nathan|C »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2009, 10:55:45 »

Personally, I think Sam or whoever it was is MORE than welcome here. debate is good...

To reiterate, it was a light hearted joke. can't take a joke, shouldn't have browsed. vstep do not pay attention to these sorts of threads anyway so stop worrying.

Samuel, why not start a "we don't want XXX-YYY in the same environment" campaign group?

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2009, 11:34:33 »

You all could be very surprised if you knew just how much notice the Vstep people do take of comments posted on the forum. However, it would be great if you all could exercise a little patience and see what transpires. From the posted trailers we have seen many things we were not sure about, have we not? ???
I must say Sam that I am surprised by your comments. Do you not like sailing the ships in the game? Even docking a big containership can take well over an hour in reality, as such ships do not take kindly to being moved around in confined spaces at high speed. If one of those ships were to hit a dock wall at even two knots, then the wall and the ship would be very severely damaged. Here in my home port of Liverpool, it takes about 1h30m to move a containership from the river Mersey and moor her in Seaforth container terminal. The distance in total being about half a nautical mile. The whole pleasure of this game for people like me is to manage to handle the ships with no damage and it does not matter how long it takes as long as it is done safely.
As to many computers not being able to handle an environment linking Dover and Calais, it has been pointed out already that Rotterdam is far bigger and greatly more complex than that, yet it is playable very easily.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2009, 11:38:31 »

WOOO! GO THE MERSEY!

Change the water please

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2009, 11:43:50 »

You all could be very surprised if you knew just how much notice the Vstep people do take of comments posted on the forum. However, it would be great if you all could exercise a little patience and see what transpires. From the posted trailers we have seen many things we were not sure about, have we not? ???
I must say Sam that I am surprised by your comments. Do you not like sailing the ships in the game? Even docking a big containership can take well over an hour in reality, as such ships do not take kindly to being moved around in confined spaces at high speed. If one of those ships were to hit a dock wall at even two knots, then the wall and the ship would be very severely damaged. Here in my home port of Liverpool, it takes about 1h30m to move a containership from the river Mersey and moor her in Seaforth container terminal. The distance in total being about half a nautical mile. The whole pleasure of this game for people like me is to manage to handle the ships with no damage and it does not matter how long it takes as long as it is done safely.
As to many computers not being able to handle an environment linking Dover and Calais, it has been pointed out already that Rotterdam is far bigger and greatly more complex than that, yet it is playable very easily.

I agree with that post 100%!

Patience is everything.....I was in Liverpool when I came back from Ireland a month or so ago, watching all the ships dock was amazing. Saw plenty of tugs as well, going about their business....
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2009, 11:49:09 »

Capt. Traddles

As I've said before, this is a light hearted banter and nothing serious. I don't think that vstep is going to base its plans on the many diverse, rootless requests in this forum as they aren't cohesive campaigns. Only a properly organised, VISIBLE campaign, has the chance of being noticed, regardless of whether it is even considered by them.

I think departing and arriving from harbour is the more interesting bit for sure. However, departing AND docking is far, far more interesting. And there is this sense of achievement. Looking at the original 08 mission to get the PoH out of the docks; some of the mission times were quite impressive, but not realistic. I personally would like the way you describe above, but each to their own.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2009, 11:52:37 »

The Mersey is now actually one the cleanest UK rivers which carry commercial traffic. We actually have seals in the river as far from the sea as 2 nautical miles. So be careful how you talk about one of the greatest maritime rivers Tractorman. The water is no longer brown so I would lay a bet that would suprise you. :-* The following two pictures were taken in the last week, and you can see for yourself.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 11:59:11 by Traddles »

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2009, 11:55:51 »

Hi Stuart,
I know you meant it in a very lighthearted way, but even so, these things are noted by the Vstep people, I feel sure. How else would they be aware of players preferences?

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2009, 11:58:52 »

The Mersey is now actually one the cleanest UK rivers which carry commercial traffic. We actually have seals in the river as far from the sea as 2 nautical miles. So be careful how you talk about one of the greatest maritime rivers Tractorman. The water is no longer brown so I would lay a bet that would suprise you. :-*

Took these picture on the 7th going to the isle of man

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2009, 12:03:21 »

Your pictures were taken at a fairly low tide level (note the sloping walkways) of the mud stirred up by the ships propellors.  The water beside the port quarter of "Black Prince" shows a very different colour as can be seen quite clearly.

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2009, 12:06:09 »

mhm i'd of said its a shadow but its still fairly brown in my eyes though I did leave at fairly low tide and arrive at low tide.. I'll post some pics of my holiday in a mo

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2009, 12:06:56 »

mhm i'd of said its a shadow but its still fairly brown in my eyes though I did leave at fairly low tide and arrive at low tide.. I'll post some pics of my holiday in a mo

Excellent. Look forward to seeing them  :thumbs:

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2009, 12:09:19 »

I should point out, in passing, that the Mersey goldfish is now decidedly extinct, thanks to the clean water :doh:.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2009, 12:10:04 »

I should point out, in passing, that the Mersey goldfish is now decidedly extinct, thanks to the clean water :doh:.

:o

That seems...  :o

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2009, 12:22:37 »

I voted for the Dover-Calais in the same environment, but we need to be realistic as it might be too big to include both ports in a single environment.

The route between Dover and Calais is 22 nautical miles (26 statue miles) apart;

The route between Southampton and Cowes is 11 nautical miles (13 statue miles) apart, and it's almost at the maximum coverage for the Solent environment in SS2008.

So can you see what I mean about being realistic? I don't know if VSTEP is able to increase the size of a single environment area without causing the game to become unstable or suffer from slow loading?  :-\
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines