Hello Guest September 21, 2024, 04:13:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Compass squashed in high resolutions ?  (Read 4977 times)

Cdt Stubbing

• Forum member
Compass squashed in high resolutions ?
« on: February 20, 2009, 18:21:13 »

I've noticed something strange while playing in various resolutions on my 30" panel. The compass on the information bar gets squashed sometimes, and it doesn't seem to be directly related to the in-game resolution or aspect ratio - maybe it's the pixel count ?...

Here's a list of resolutions sorted by aspect ratios and how the compass looks in each :

4:3 resolutions

1600x1200 - ok

1920x1440 - squashed

2048x1536 - squashed

16:10 resolutions

1680x1050 - ok

1920x1200 -ok

2560x1600 (my native res) - squashed

16:9 resolutions

1600x900 - ok

1920x1080 - ok

15:4 (equivalent to classic TripleHead2Go i.e 3x 5:4)

2560x682 - ok

So it seems the compass always gets squashed somewhere between 1920x1200 and 1920x1440, as the pixel count goes beyond 2.500.000 independently of the aspect ratio. Strange stuff.

Any chance to have this fixed in a future patch ? ;) Edit : no.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 15:37:20 by Cdt Stubbing »

mvsmith

Re: Compass squashed in high resolutions ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 19:04:21 »

When you say “squashed” do you mean that the chart is distorted by an incorrect aspect ratio, or simply smaller than you would like? If the latter, there is nothing to be fixed.
You can always show the chart full screen if necessary. Why did you post the images on Image Shack rather than simply placing them in the post where they could be viewed more easily?

TerryRussell

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 20:24:49 »

Hi Cdt Stubbing.

This isn't really a technical Support question, more of a "ooh, look!" sort of thing.

I'll move this to General Discussions for you. You'll probably get lots more feedback there.

Here are some links that you may find useful:

The Posting Guidelines.  These will help you determine where to post about a specific subject -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,11578.0.html

The Help Page.  To assist you with forum posting, and the more advanced features on the forum -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php?action=help

The Forum Rules.  To help you make informed decisions regarding posting - http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,26.0.html

The Search function.  A very useful tool to help you find the answer to that elusive question -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php?action=search

The Tutorials board.  Check here for guides that cover common questions -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,35.0.html

The FAQ's and Announcements board.  Check here for answers to commonly asked questions.  Also a useful source for the latest information regarding Ship Simulator development - http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,1.0.html

firestar12

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 00:13:18 »

Hi Cdt Stubbing.

This isn't really a technical Support question, more of an "ooh, look!" sort of thing.

I'll move this to General Discussions for you. You'll probably get lots more feedback there.
Terry made a grammar mistake! ::)

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 01:18:58 »

Actually the mistake is yours.. :)

mvsmith

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 01:19:23 »

Dawg 1, Star 0.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 01:56:55 »

Terry made an grammar mistake! ::)

OMG Firestar made a grammar mistake. ROFL.. You know there is a use for "a".

firestar12

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 01:58:00 »

No, I didn't alter the post to make it look like he did a typo. I was saying he should have said an instead of a.

mvsmith

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 02:10:53 »

No, I didn't alter the post to make it look like he did a typo. I was saying he should have said an instead of a.

Then that is what you should have said instead of redacting the quote.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 03:52:08 »

In retrospect, seems like Terry made an mistake.. :)

firestar12

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 03:57:02 »

We should really get back on topic shouldn't we?

mvsmith

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 06:36:01 »

It’s probably a dead topic because the starter never said exactly what was wrong.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 09:26:54 »

I see what's wrong.

Look in the upper left in the info bar.

THAT compass.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 09:36:20 »

He means the compas at the information panel...fools..cmon!?? :sleepy:

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 09:42:37 »

He means the compas at the information panel...fools..cmon!?? :sleepy:
A tad late :P

mvsmith

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 13:32:40 »

As I said, he has supplied neither decent pictures nor a complete description of what he is complaining about.
Is he, for instance, using a display aspect ratio that is not the same as the aspect ratio of his panel?
I see no letterboxing to indicate that he is running in a “preserve aspect ratio” mode. Usually that requires HDMI for NVIDIA adapters unless the display itself offers that feature—most do not.

In any case—as Terry indicated—it is not an issue that VSTEP is likely to address. Since he has all of those display options, he can simply pick one that looks right to him.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 13:44:08 by mvsmith »

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 14:04:55 »

Alright! Case solved :lol:

TerryRussell

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 16:16:34 »

Glad to see its been answered. Now for the chatter phase:

Wot? Grandma mistake? Never! Actually, under English Grammar rules, the "a" is the precursor to the word "mistake", not the quoted text. So I was precisely correct.

American pigeon English may be different.

But my wife says not...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 23:23:59 by TerryRussell »

firestar12

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 16:33:05 »

Glad to see its been resolved. Now for the chatter phase:

Wot? Grandma mistake? Never! Actually, under English Grammar rules, the "a" is the precursor to the word "mistake", not the quoted text. So I was precisely correct.

American pigeon English may be different.

But my wife says not...
Thats American CONDOR not pigeon. ;D

Cdt Stubbing

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 18:07:02 »

As I said, he has supplied neither decent pictures nor a complete description of what he is complaining about.
Is he, for instance, using a display aspect ratio that is not the same as the aspect ratio of his panel?
I see no letterboxing to indicate that he is running in a “preserve aspect ratio” mode. Usually that requires HDMI for NVIDIA adapters unless the display itself offers that feature—most do not.

In any case—as Terry indicated—it is not an issue that VSTEP is likely to address. Since he has all of those display options, he can simply pick one that looks right to him.

Wow, and I thought I had done a decent job putting my original post together...  :-\

-a compass : first image fetched by googoole

So yeah, it's the gizmo in the information bar on the top left of the game screen I'm talking about.

-squashed : the compass does not look like a circle, but an ellipse in certain high resolutions.

-decent pictures : The pictures in my post are clickable thumbnails, you have to see them in actual size to see the compass. (Sorry if you're not familiar with imageshack, I use it a lot.)

-my native resolution is 2560x1600, which is a 16:10 aspect ratio. Please read my original post, you'll understand that the issue has nothing to do with it : the compass is squashed beyond a certain pixel count and looks ok in all aspect ratios below this point.

Concerning letterboxing, HDMI and whatnot, you're sailing in dangerous waters sir, as it seems you don't really know what you're talking about. No offense ;) but
1) fullscreen screenshots can't show the "letterboxing".
2) if this was a scaling problem, screenshots would look different from what I get on screen : e.g a 16:9 resolution would stretch vertically to fill my 16:10 display, deforming the whole game screen; the screenshot however would look correct.
3) my 30" panel works on a dual-link DVI port, and nvidia scaling requires any digital interface, not HDMI.

-I understand why you don't consider this a technical issue, but please, please try and understand the problem before you say it's solved or irrelevant.
Yes, it appears you need a 1920x1440 capable monitor or a TripleHead setup to be able to experience this glitch; feel free not to care. I was just reporting the issue, not whining. 8)

TerryRussell

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 18:21:16 »

Re: "decent pictures", I suspect that others had the same problem as I did. The images shown in your post are too small to make out many details. When I clicked on the images, I just got a page from Image Shack (attached), and still couldn't see the details. So I can't offer any opinion.

Perhaps you could amend your post and upload the actual images, as Marty requested?

Next time, you might want to check that your images perform as you intended?

Thanks.

I suspect that it is caused by the panel having a fixed height in pixels. I could be wrong, though.

PS It's still not a Technical Support issue. You may not like the way it shows on your screen, but that's a different matter, which is why I moved it to somewhere that you might be able to obtain enlightenment.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 18:32:15 by TerryRussell »

mvsmith

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 23:20:57 »

Hi Terry,

The compass on the HUD has begun to depart noticeably from circular at a native resolution as low as 1920 X 1200. That is probably a consequence of the fact that it is not drawn by the same method as the rose on the chart—which remains circular. It was meant for a 4:3 aspect ratio.

This is not a new discovery, but is almost un-noticed at that resolution. Because that compass is seldom of much use—the numeric readouts on the HUD and the rose on the chart are better—it is of minor interest. It certainly does not demand a special patch.

The same departure from circular is present at the lower resolutions in 16:10—1680x1050 and 1440X900. It would appear to be dependent on aspect ratio at all resolutions—but only apparent to the careless observer at the higher resolutions.

One cannot detect it well in tiny pictures, but by taking a full-res shot in a graphics editor and measuring the pixel dimensions, one can.
Regards,
Marty

TerryRussell

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 23:28:11 »

Hi Marty.

I'm using dual 28" LCD monitors for Ship Simulator. Each is running at 1920*1200, giving twice that width, of course, in total. I hadn't noticed the effect, but to be honest I was probably concentrating on other things, as you suggest.

I just couldn't tell from the thumbnail images in the original post...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:19:59 by TerryRussell »

mvsmith

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 01:09:10 »

Hi Terry,
Here is the chart rose placed over the HUD compass from the same screenshot at 1920x1200.
The departure is small, but measurable in pixels in the editor.
Regards,
Marty

TerryRussell

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 11:19:37 »

Thanks, Marty.

I doubt I'd ever notice it. Even after you've pointed it out, I don't see enough of a departure that I'd notice.

At higher resolutions I might, but my old eyes want bigger writing, so 1920*1200 is my limit.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines