Hello Guest June 23, 2024, 03:23:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Requests for Ship Sim 2009? Post here  (Read 30838 times)

sydmichel

• Forum member
Re: Requests for Ship Sim 2009? Post here
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2008, 21:45:07 »

I think a great candidate is the P&O ferry 'Pride of Bilbao' it sails between Portsmouth and Bilbao in Spain and is a viable alternative to the 'Pride of Rotterdam'.
We're all buddies in boats

Kmetzman

• Forum member
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2008, 01:46:50 »

Isn't it more or less the same as the Pride of Rotterdam? Looks kind of the same. If they would offer more places to walk on the Pride of Rotterdam I'd be game with that too.
"The sea is selective; slow in recognition of effort and aptitude, but fast in sinking the unfit."

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2008, 14:49:40 »

They don't look the same. Don't have a pic. of the Rotterdam, but here is the Pride of Bilbao (seen in Portsmouth)

The Bilbao would be great if they put Portsmouth Continental Ferry Port onto the Solent map - where it should be is out of bounds and empty.

The Ferry Man

Kmetzman

• Forum member
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2008, 15:01:04 »

Yeah I can see the difference now... from memory they both looked the same as far as I remembered.

Not sure if this was mentioned in previous posts, but the ability to work off lines while docking would be super. I know from experience that if you give me a spring line or any other line in the right place at the right time, I can work magic. This "damage" percentage has got to go... unless you slam head on into a dock or another vessel. Brushing against things is a tugboats JOB, so "damage" and sinking caused by working off the hip is absurd.

Also enable the taking in or letting out of slack on mooring lines and tows. It improves maneuverability.
"The sea is selective; slow in recognition of effort and aptitude, but fast in sinking the unfit."

TerryRussell

« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2008, 17:25:31 »

They don't look the same. Don't have a pic. of the Rotterdam, but here is the Pride of Bilbao (seen in Portsmouth)

The Bilbao would be great if they put Portsmouth Continental Ferry Port onto the Solent map - where it should be is out of bounds and empty.

The Ferry Man

I've been on the Pride of Bilbao a few times as a passenger. On most of the trips it was just a few days holiday, watching the sea go by, with the odd pairs of dolphins swimming in the bow waves and so on. Then a couple of hours in Spain and back home. On one occasion though, it was in some horrendous weather, and I really though the ship was going to flip over several times during the night.

There was no food available for quite a while,as the crockery went everywhere and most of the cooking staff were very sea-sick. I was OK and just wanted my breakfast, so I ended up cooking scrambled eggs and bacon for my son and myself (my wife was very green, in bed). A couple of the crew smelled it and asked if I would make some for them, but I think there were only four of us who felt like eating that day!

Jer0me

• Forum member
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2008, 17:42:21 »

are there any information about the release of ss2009???

I dont have ss08 yet and want to know if i should buy it or wait for 09?

cheers

mvsmith

« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2008, 17:54:07 »

SS 2009 is called SS 2010 in the Captain’s Journal included with Collector’s Edition. This does not necessarily mean it won’t be released in ’09.

Jer0me

• Forum member
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2008, 18:06:56 »

ok...
in ss2010(or how it will be called) I would like a luxury yacht like there was in ss06

Kmetzman

• Forum member
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2008, 18:09:33 »

I am just really glad they fixed things up since SS2006.... I was afraid this game was done for after playing that one.   :-\

Another thing I thought was maybe a use of fenders for the docks so that damage is reduced when bringing the vessel in. And give tugs more realistic HP so that when they have to actually tow something the size of a containership it doesn't take 15 minutes to reach a waypoint that is .4 nautical miles away.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2008, 18:13:23 »

I only have been in the Pride of Bilbao once, and had the flu for the whole journey  :(

With tugs, how about the ability to push boats into berths. whenever I try to nudge boats in with a tug, I end up getting a lot of damage, or if I go to slowly, the tug just turns to one side.

Kmetzman

• Forum member
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2008, 21:06:00 »

With tugs, how about the ability to push boats into berths. whenever I try to nudge boats in with a tug, I end up getting a lot of damage, or if I go to slowly, the tug just turns to one side.

Exactly. Allow work on the hip, nudging, and NORMAL towing of larger vessels.

captin

• Forum member
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2008, 23:00:25 »

I also forgot to mention that I think that being able to lower lifeboats would be a great feature, then being able to use them. And, I also think ships sink way to quickly, I think that the ships should sink at a realistic rate of speed, then SOS's would be more realistic, thats my opinion anyway.

Jack.

Ya it would be cool to see passengers and tell them to board lifeboats and choose when to launch them. It would be cool if you had a radio and could communcate with the ship control and other ships. It would be cool to have the Coast Guard too, and could warn ships about their location.

Kmetzman

• Forum member
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2008, 23:06:12 »

Overall though I think the best thing to do is sharpen the AI on the surrounding traffic. It sucks when you're blatantly doing a maneuver with a barge or vessel and boats that can see you from way the hell down the channel barrel on down without a clue. If I sound my horn or turn into a berth, they should stop and wait. Sometimes they do it now, but in the "Garbage Barge" mission I was turning into the slip and from behind me a jackassy motorboat ran into my stern and down the port side of the barge. This was just PAST the Bay Bridge, so he had all the room in the world to pass around my stern and onto my starboard side.

Rules of the Road would be a welcome feature.

TerryRussell

« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2008, 23:08:37 »

It's much better than it used to be. They do at least try to slow to a halt now (in the right circumstances).

Goldens2

• Forum member
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2008, 23:40:32 »

Some people in my town could stand to learn the "Rules of the road" (And some people on the St. Lawrence Seaway here too :)). Anyway, I am agreed on that one.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
                 ~Wayne Gretzky

This applies to Photography too!

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2008, 23:50:12 »

I've been on the Pride of Bilbao a few times as a passenger. On most of the trips it was just a few days holiday, watching the sea go by, with the odd pairs of dolphins swimming in the bow waves and so on. Then a couple of hours in Spain and back home. On one occasion though, it was in some horrendous weather, and I really though the ship was going to flip over several times during the night.
Hi all,
I worked on the 'Pride of Bilbao' for 2 years, (from 1998 to 2000), and the majority of the trips were OK, (a bit lumpy now and then) and as Terry said quite terrifying sometimes, (the Bay of Biscay can do that sometimes). I think that this route, (Portsmouth to Santurzi), would be really good for the new sea model. A ferry has to keep to its schedule and can't really avoid bad weather. I would like to see the Portsmouth Ferry Port and the Port of Santurzi in SS??
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

TerryRussell

« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2008, 00:06:30 »

Hi Dave.

That was about the time that I did four to six trips each Spring - Autumn. Did I ever cook you breakfast amongst a load of smashed crockery on the way back from Bilbao?

That WOULD be a small world!

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2008, 10:48:30 »

I doubt it was seasickness that stopped the crew from cooking, anyone who's worked on her will know what I mean.

Here's some typical winter weather at the outer breakwater.
[img width=585 height=150http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9431/panddax5.png]

Kmetzman

• Forum member
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2008, 15:18:19 »

Looks like great fun for the wheelhouse gang.   :D

TerryRussell

« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2008, 18:26:13 »

I doubt it was seasickness that stopped the crew from cooking, anyone who's worked on her will know what I mean.

There were a lot of very seasick canteen staff. Also, I suspect some broken bones. It was VERY rough. But as a lifeboatman in my time, I have some sea legs (I keep them in a cupboard at home).

Kmetzman

• Forum member
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2008, 18:45:00 »

How long is a crossing in those ferries?

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2008, 19:15:43 »

yes looks fun from the bridge not so good if your trying to secure the anchors.

She really takes a battering during the winter she used to sail from Portsmouth around 8pm and arrive in Santiritzi around 5am 33 hours later then sail at noon to arrive back in Portsmouth 4pm 28hours later but that depends on the weather and if she has no technical problems it's been known for her to be 30 odd hours late due to bad weather. Her schedule changes all the time recently don't know what she does now.

You do need your sealegs with you most of the time on her Terry if not at least a set of stabilisers LOL. 

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2008, 20:57:35 »

Hi pigdog, she has a much easier time now. The Pride of Bilbao doesn't go to Cherbourg on a Saturday anymore.
She arrived early this morning, (Tuesday), and will leave this evening. When she arrives in Santurzi she will spend a day there. I think it might be a 4 day round trip now.

She has either had a bad paint job on the last refit or she has been through some very bad weather. The front of the superstructure has large patches of rust and 'rust runs' all over the place.

Regards, Dave

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2008, 22:13:33 »

Thanks for that Dave it sounds much more relaxing doing that than it used to be especially with that party cruise to Cherbourg now dropped.

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2008, 00:23:50 »

Hi pigdog, she has a much easier time now. The Pride of Bilbao doesn't go to Cherbourg on a Saturday anymore.
She arrived early this morning, (Tuesday), and will leave this evening. When she arrives in Santurzi she will spend a day there. I think it might be a 4 day round trip now.

This is just an update;
The Pride of Bilbao didn't leave on Tuesday night. According to ' http://www.shipais.com/showship.php?mmsi=308835000 ' she left tonight, (Wednesday), at 19.00 and is currently in the channel on her way to the 'Bay of Biscay'. Speed is 16.6 knots and heading 234 degrees SW.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 00:25:31 by Dave M »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines