Hello Guest May 12, 2024, 22:27:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Costa Concordia Grounded, taking on water.  (Read 80170 times)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
Re: Costa Concordia Grounded, taking on water.
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2012, 22:58:37 »

huh? Sorry what do you mean?

dexter7

• Forum member
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2012, 23:06:44 »

they turned off when it was found the ship was listing
What is listing?
My PC specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM
Acer X213W ~ Cyberpower PC Gamer Ultra 2097 Desktop PC
Favorite games: Ship Simulators, MS Flight Sims, Railworks 3,

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2012, 23:10:42 »

danhill

• Forum member
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2012, 23:58:48 »

The captain is clearly at fault here.

While a similar route was used a few days before. According to the news and the GPS from the ship, she did not go as near to the rocks as she did on the weekend, and the captain was not authorized to go as close to the shore or even take the route he took.

The shore in which the vessel foundered next too would have been passing by to the ships port. The ship lay to rest with the bow facing the way the ship had come from. It does show on the vessels last movements from the news that as she approached the shore she made a hard to port maneuver. Given that the ship is now on it's side and the original damage sustained to the ships port side under the water line appears to be out the water. This makes me think that the ship could have been effected by something similar to what is known as 'the free surface effect'. In which water inside a hull sloshing about makes a vessel unstable. Resulting in the hard left maneuver causing the ship to actually capsize.

This makes me question the captains actions even more, knowing his ship was taking on water and knowing about the free surface effect from his maritime training, but still executing a hard left maneuver, which to me, appears to be the cause of the actual capsize of the ship.

assassinator2.0

• Forum member
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2012, 00:29:47 »

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:19:27 by assassinator2.0 »
"He that boasts of his own knowledge proclaims his ignorance" -Author Unknown

"If a tidal wave hits LA just grab a fake boob for safety" -Sarah Michelle Gellar

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2012, 08:42:33 »

The captain is clearly at fault here.

While a similar route was used a few days before. According to the news and the GPS from the ship, she did not go as near to the rocks as she did on the weekend, and the captain was not authorized to go as close to the shore or even take the route he took.

The shore in which the vessel foundered next too would have been passing by to the ships port. The ship lay to rest with the bow facing the way the ship had come from. It does show on the vessels last movements from the news that as she approached the shore she made a hard to port maneuver. Given that the ship is now on it's side and the original damage sustained to the ships port side under the water line appears to be out the water. This makes me think that the ship could have been effected by something similar to what is known as 'the free surface effect'. In which water inside a hull sloshing about makes a vessel unstable. Resulting in the hard left maneuver causing the ship to actually capsize.

This makes me question the captains actions even more, knowing his ship was taking on water and knowing about the free surface effect from his maritime training, but still executing a hard left maneuver, which to me, appears to be the cause of the actual capsize of the ship.

The turn to port was in order to put the ship aground in a place where she could be safely evacuated and probabpy saved many lives, in this case free surface effect probably didn't play a huge partinthe capsize, when you look at how she eventually came to rest it is more likely that she was hard aground on the port side and then sank bodily causing her to heel further and further to starboard.

As for why thge stabilisers were out, the vessel was on passage rather than considered to be manouvring (see my comment above) and it would have been normal for the fins to be out.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2012, 13:30:48 »

It will be interesting to see the report at the end of it all...but even then, I don't suppose we'll ever know all the facts. It's very easy for people to sit here and criticise the Master, and to some extent, quite rightly so...but the danger is to make the Master a scapegoat for the accident altogether.

There are so many unanswered questions, and as Clanky said, awkward questions, which other people have yet to answer. As it stands, all we know are the construed 'facts' about the Master, which the media have bumped up to make a good story. What about the other officers? Costa themselves?...I'll be waiting for the report before I make my mind up entirely. But even then, you never know who wrote that either, or how many brown envelopes will be passed around beforehand...

Jack.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 13:32:24 by IRI5HJ4CK »
Kind Regards,
Jack.

danhill

• Forum member
« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2012, 14:16:07 »

The turn to port was in order to put the ship aground in a place where she could be safely evacuated and probabpy saved many lives, in this case free surface effect probably didn't play a huge partinthe capsize, when you look at how she eventually came to rest it is more likely that she was hard aground on the port side and then sank bodily causing her to heel further and further to starboard.

I see what your saying yes, I only made that assumption because the actual damage to the ship is now clear out the water. I would have thought that if she just carried on sinking the hole in the ship would not have come clean out the water, but something has made that hole come out the water. But who knows hey.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 14:50:54 by danhill »

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2012, 18:37:48 »

The search for missing persons has again been halted because the concordia moved a small amount
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16606405
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #184 on: January 19, 2012, 20:48:58 »

Reports are comming in that there was a Moldovan woman beside the captain on the bridge when the accident happened!
i now beilived he may have been showing off! maybe to a girlfreind.
but they cant find her on the passanger lists
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #185 on: January 19, 2012, 21:12:04 »

You sure?? Italian people and showing off.. :o Who saw that one coming.. :-\ :D
Maybe that's why he "fell" in the lifeboat. His girlfriend was in there... :o
Really that man is making everything worse, by making up the stupidest excuses..
Cadet Holland America Line

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2012, 03:45:20 »

Of course she wasn't on the passenger list, cc, she worked onboard as crew!

BTW Clanky, would captain courageous not have used the stabiliser to try to trim the ship to keep it upright or would that have made SFA difference? I assume (though just a guess) that the stabilisers surfaces can be manually controlled.

One billion quid wiped off carnivals total value- that could end up finishing off the whole of the group- certainly costa is finished now- the name will never recover given that they seem to have a habit of smacking their ships into very hard rocks and quaysides.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #187 on: January 20, 2012, 08:56:28 »

Now I got some news.  ;D
According to CNN with information from a Pilapino TV channel. The captain of the Costa Concordia had order diner for two person, himself and a women. Within a hour after the collision with the rock. The Costa concordia had a collision at 21.42 and around 22.30 he order the dinner, according to a Filipino cook.  :-\
However he felt that something was going on. Because all the cocking equipment fell off the kitchen table..
The women was likely a 25 year old female from Moldova.

The story is getting better and better a day..
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:01:13 by sadsid »
Cadet Holland America Line

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2012, 17:08:07 »

Of course she wasn't on the passenger list, cc, she worked onboard as crew!

BTW Clanky, would captain courageous not have used the stabiliser to try to trim the ship to keep it upright or would that have made SFA difference? I assume (though just a guess) that the stabilisers surfaces can be manually controlled.

One billion quid wiped off carnivals total value- that could end up finishing off the whole of the group- certainly costa is finished now- the name will never recover given that they seem to have a habit of smacking their ships into very hard rocks and quaysides.
sorry
i meant on the list of everyone onbored.
someone has a GirlFreind <3  :doh:
Captain Cadet

w_de_falco

• Forum member
« Reply #189 on: January 20, 2012, 17:48:59 »

Here's a brief exploitation on various Italian agencies involved in the operations:

Vigili del Fuoco - Fire Brigade;
Capitaneria di Porto or Guardia Costiera - Coast Guard;
Marina Militare - Navy;
Guardia di Finanza - Border/custom police;
Carabinieri - Military corp committed to internal security/police duties (Like French Gendarmerie Nationale and Spanish Guardia Civil).
Protezione Civile - Civil Defence authority

Hope this is helping you to understand the news, especially from Italian source...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 17:51:21 by w_de_falco »

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2012, 18:03:16 »

news comming in
a welsh widdow had lost her husbans ashes  :thumbdown:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-16648829
Captain Cadet

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2012, 17:02:06 »

Another body has been found aboard, bringing the death total up to 12.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16666669

larsdehaan

« Reply #192 on: January 21, 2012, 17:04:01 »

Nvm wrong ship
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 19:06:22 by larsdehaan »

w_de_falco

• Forum member
« Reply #193 on: January 21, 2012, 23:41:45 »

Smit personnel is now on site to pump the fuel out of the ship, in order to avoid further environmental damage, and to study the situation for ship salvage

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2012, 02:20:15 »

Capt. corageous has stated that he couldn't bear to be a Captain again. News for you, sunshine, you don't have a choice.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #195 on: January 22, 2012, 02:29:57 »

Capt. corageous has stated that he couldn't bear to be a Captain again. News for you, sunshine, you don't have a choice.
I wounder if he can't bear to stay in his house for a few years?

assassinator2.0

• Forum member
« Reply #196 on: January 22, 2012, 03:40:52 »

how did you manage to do that?

"If a tidal wave hits LA just grab a fake boob for safety" -Sarah Michelle Gellar

Alexisth1

• Forum member
« Reply #197 on: January 22, 2012, 04:21:24 »

anchoring the ship

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #198 on: January 22, 2012, 04:23:04 »

Guys, seriously?!? 12 people have lost there lives, and you two are joking and thinking its "cool" to try and recreate what happend? please show some respect.

assassinator2.0

• Forum member
« Reply #199 on: January 22, 2012, 04:33:55 »

i didnt say anything about recreating it....and wasnt even planning on doing it

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines