Hello Guest September 29, 2024, 04:26:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: vista 32bit limited to 3GB RAM!!!!!!!!  (Read 2429 times)

ash

• Forum member
vista 32bit limited to 3GB RAM!!!!!!!!
« on: August 16, 2008, 23:44:49 »

silly that vista 32 bit is limited to 3GB ram
life is expensive but it includes a trip round the sun every year!

moderator on www.ssme.heavenforum.com/forum
join for free now!

Captain Kool

• Forum member
Re: vista 32bit limited to 3GB RAM!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 02:53:10 »

It's because of its 32-bit architecture, if it was 64-bit than it could be capable of 3gb+.

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 03:03:43 »

3gigs is quite a bit of ram.  :P For me its plenty enough to run music, instant messaging, internet, and have plenty of power to spare.  Just think of the days when 100mb was alot of ram ::)

Multiplayer Ship Simmers Gaming Clan (http://www.mpssclan.co.uk/forum)  Sig By Agent|Austin

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 04:09:38 »

3gigs is quite a bit of ram.  :P For me its plenty enough to run music, instant messaging, internet, and have plenty of power to spare.  Just think of the days when 100mb was alot of ram ::)

You weren't even alive. :p

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 04:42:59 »

i was so! We were born before internet. We're older than this very thing we're browsing.

Multiplayer Ship Simmers Gaming Clan (http://www.mpssclan.co.uk/forum)  Sig By Agent|Austin

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 11:48:34 »

yes 64Bit is only limited to 6GB or 7GB but ship sim cant up its requirments much more or a lot of people wont be able to play it but a new win os is coming out soon called windows seven but will still be limited!
life is expensive but it includes a trip round the sun every year!

moderator on www.ssme.heavenforum.com/forum
join for free now!

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 13:57:47 »

i was so! We were born before internet. We're older than this very thing we're browsing.

If your profile is to be believed, you're a LOT younger than the internet. My web site is older than you... I was emailing via Janet when your mum was a little girl.  ;D

When I started, there were no PCs, no calculators, watches had springs to power them and TV was a single channel, BBC on 405 lines VHF. There weren't even transistors when I was a youngster.

My first "computer" had a 4-bit processor with 128 bytes (yes - BYTES) of RAM. The first computer language I learned was Algol and I had to feed the program into a computer on a paper tape that I hand-punched the holes that were the programming. Because I could read and punch the tapes, I could save a week's waiting for the programming department. That made me very popular at college.  ;D

PS I posted some screen shots of Windows 7 a while ago. It's Vista with a new overcoat, so don't get excited. It's just as bad...

PPS Vista 32 and XP 32 can access 3.6GB of RAM directly and you can hook most of the rest, which allows some of the memory to be freed up, giving you the equivalent of about 3.8GB.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 14:00:59 by TerryRussell »

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 14:48:00 »

yes 64Bit is only limited to 6GB or 7GB but ship sim cant up its requirments much more or a lot of people wont be able to play it but a new win os is coming out soon called windows seven but will still be limited!
well i haw 64 bit vista ultimate and haw 8 GB ram, be cause the motherboard only support 8 GB but 64 bit are almost unlimited it's can take TB tetra bite. 1 TB = 1000GB
And shipsim can use all 4 CPU in a quad processor
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 17:13:24 by Capt.Bluebeard »

RJK

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 17:23:11 »

My first "computer" had a 4-bit processor with 128 bytes (yes - BYTES) of RAM. The first computer language I learned was Algol and I had to feed the program into a computer on a paper tape that I hand-punched the holes that were the programming. Because I could read and punch the tapes, I could save a week's waiting for the programming department. That made me very popular at college.  ;D

My first computer was a Texas Instruments TI99-4A that I bought for my oldest son when he was a little guy to get a headstart on the up and coming home computer age. He'll be 39 in Nov. To do anything with that computer including playing games you had to program it first. The drawback to that was it was Texas Instruments language which turned out to be mostly usless later on.

The web surfers can thank the Mosaic developers for not having to speak UNIX anymore.

Russ K
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 17:25:07 by RJK »

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 17:47:40 »

If your profile is to be believed, you're a LOT younger than the internet. My web site is older than you... I was emailing via Janet when your mum was a little girl.  ;D

When I started, there were no PCs, no calculators, watches had springs to power them and TV was a single channel, BBC on 405 lines VHF. There weren't even transistors when I was a youngster.

PS I posted some screen shots of Windows 7 a while ago. It's Vista with a new overcoat, so don't get excited. It's just as bad...

PPS Vista 32 and XP 32 can access 3.6GB of RAM directly and you can hook most of the rest, which allows some of the memory to be freed up, giving you the equivalent of about 3.8GB.

Just to show my ignorance and being even older than you Terry, can you install Vista 64 over Vista 32 or does it depend on the CPU/whatever that you have?

Rgds

Captain Mike

TerryRussell

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 19:11:01 »

I'd be surprised if your PC doesn't have what it takes to run 64 bit programs. Most recent PCs wil be OK, I think.

Trouble is, there are just aren't many programs that can use it and not many drivers that work properly for it. Whether XP or Vista 64, bugs abound!

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 17:07:51 »

You can't install vista 64 over 32bit you must delete 32bit first

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 17:46:19 »

You can't install vista 64 over 32bit you must delete 32bit first

Very tricky!! Not for a novice!!

;D ;D ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines