Hello Guest September 14, 2024, 23:17:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [Resolved] A question from a beginner. (sailing from port to port)  (Read 6865 times)

nillefix

• Forum member

Can I sail anywhere in the world with Ship Simulator 2008 or am I restricted to certain areas. Would like to do an around the world trip.

Best regards/

Niclas
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 14:04:16 by Mad_Fred »

NathanC

Re: A question from a beginner.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 08:15:46 »

Hi.

There are only a few ports in the game with some oceans, but in free roam mode when your ship reaches the end of the enviroment you are given the option to choose a new enviroment.

nillefix

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 08:28:22 »

So it's possible to sail say from Marsellie to New York?

NathanC

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 08:30:42 »

Yes, if you start in Marseille when you reach the end of that enviroment, it will ask you where you want to go next  ;)

nillefix

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 08:56:42 »

Ok, thanks :)

NathanC

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 09:30:06 »

No problem  :)

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 10:23:16 »

only within the sectoins of ocean this game has so marsellie to mersellie sea them jump to the atlanic another jump to atlanitc north and finaly new york whin ingae is only about 60 miles ingame

NathanC

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 10:35:39 »

only within the sectoins of ocean this game has so marsellie to mersellie sea them jump to the atlanic another jump to atlanitc north and finaly new york whin ingae is only about 60 miles ingame

He can jump from Marseille to New York if he wants to  ;)

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 10:37:16 »

yes but i think he meant he wanted to sail acrosee the sea

NathanC

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 10:42:37 »

I already mentioned you can choose any other enviroment once you get to the end of one.

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 10:43:42 »

allso he wants to do a round the worl trip with he can not do as all the port are in the u.s.a or europe

Saphire

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 10:55:55 »

allso he wants to do a round the worl trip with he can not do as all the port are in the u.s.a or europe

What about Phi Phi? That's in Asia\Thiland.

Teamspeak member!

eviss

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 13:35:40 »

Dear Paul,

Please learn to read :

The answer was allready given 2 hours earlier, then your reply.

Yes, if you start in Marseille when you reach the end of that enviroment, it will ask you where you want to go next  ;)

And try, if possible, to write a little better, as you learned in school.

BTW: You don't have to answer on all of the posts you see on this forum.

It would be a great help, if you stop this kind of help !
So that we instead, can see some answers that contribute to the topic / forum, witch truly helps the new members.

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards, Erik
THX SF!
Redfox
"Dover-Calais in the same environement !"

nillefix

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 13:49:30 »

So, what I'm getting from this is that you can't sail(or motor) from say marseille to new york in "real time",  from A to B.

Nick

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 14:00:03 »

Hiya :)

Say you start free roam in Marseille, you get to the end of the environment, and then it gives you choices where to go. You could go to the Marseille Meditiranian sea (Sorry for bad spelling!) then you could go to NY once you get to the end of that. Or you could just go straight from Marseille to NY ;) Not in real time, because you skip chunks of it, but you get there ;)

Hope that helps :)

SA

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 14:23:17 »

So, what I'm getting from this is that you can't sail(or motor) from say marseille to new york in "real time",  from A to B.

Nick
you can go here and download two missions  around the world cruise
 http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,9379.msg110091.html#msg110091   this is part one wit Pride of Rotterdam

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,9379.msg110264.html#msg110264   and part two Ocean stare

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 14:33:29 »

So, what I'm getting from this is that you can't sail(or motor) from say marseille to new york in "real time",  from A to B.Nick

To do this would mean you spend days behind your computer, staring at empty sea..
Is that what you would like to do..?  ;)

mvsmith

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 14:44:25 »

Hi Nick,
The answer to your question is no.
There is no continuous travel in Ship Simulator. The various environments have a limited extent on the order of 10 – 15 nautical miles. The Pacific Ocean outside San Francisco, for instance, is a circle with a diameter of 15 nm.
The longest Atlantic crossing from the Solent to New York that I’m aware of takes only four hours and 23 minutes. It uses a total of five environments. Very few players have completed even that relatively short mission.
The fact is that crossing an ocean in real time is not something you would enjoy doing. Those who have requested that in the past have also asked for an autopilot and time-skip.
If you really want to travel continuously across an ocean, my advice would be to fly there in FSX and then rent a boat.
Regards,
Marty

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 20:38:34 »

Dear Paul,

Please learn to read :

The answer was allready given 2 hours earlier, then your reply.

And try, if possible, to write a little better, as you learned in school.

BTW: You don't have to answer on all of the posts you see on this forum.

It would be a great help, if you stop this kind of help !
So that we instead, can see some answers that contribute to the topic / forum, witch truly helps the new members.

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards, Erik

as i have allready told you in the last topic you wote about me in. the answer given was not clear so i was clearing it up for him many people by this game thinging you have every port and every ship and so i was telling him whet he can do in game

now i understand why so many people are leaving this forum because of people haveing ago at members every time they say somthing. it seem now members cant even have their say with out somone haveing ago or telling them what to do

the happy thoughts are not working
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 21:30:52 by pauljanaway1 »

mvsmith

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 22:52:28 »

Paul,
If you look at many topics where someone has asked for help, you will often see that there is almost a full page of short, incomplete, or sometimes completely wrong answers before he can find an in-depth and accurate answer. That is not really helpful to him.
If you are unsure of what he is asking, it would be better to wait for someone else to handle it.
While I understand your need to be useful, often your actions are counterproductive to that goal.
Marty

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 10:30:49 »

i know somtimes my answer is not to its fullest but members telling me to not post or go away and learn to spell is a personal attack on me. that and being allmost at gun point being told to apologies to members that after attacking me i pm and if i dont i will be banned. so i am having to think weather to delet my account or contine you to have person attacks on me

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 14:44:15 »

Hiya paul,

Relax mate, no one is telling you to go away or not to post at all. But you know that there have been complaints about some of your posting.

I sometimes too get the feeling you try to post in every topic possible, wether you have an answer or a valid contribution or not. Others have had that feeling too, and that leads some to believe you are trying to boost your post count. And post boosting is frowned upon...and not allowed even.

So just try to post only if you have a correct and full answer for someone, and try to avoid answering questions that are allready answered in detail. If you are not sure, don't post, easy as that. If you do, without really knowing what the answer is, it's easily mistaken for postboosting.

You don't really have to post in every single topic with a one liner or an echo of someone else's answer. Just tune it down a notch and you'll do just fine. And let's not take the stuff handled in PM's into public here, please.

Regards,
Fred

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 17:06:05 »

i know your right but i get wond up when i get pm's saying i have untill the end of the day or i will be banned

NathanC

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 17:16:54 »

i know your right but i get wond up when i get pm's saying i have untill the end of the day or i will be banned

Who says that? . I know of no moderator who is cruel enough to threaten to ban you because of something as small as grammar mistakes  ???

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 17:26:03 »

Hey Paul,

I understand, but as you were asked in a more friendly matter allready before, the one involved just meant to stress the importance of taking his advice this time. Don't take it all too personal. (it certainly has nothing to do with grammar or  spelling btw)

If people don't agree on something here, that's a pity, but don't send the same arguement over to them in a PM after they ask you to drop the matter. I do not know what you wrote, but offence was taken, in which case an apology was in order.

If something winds you up, take a deep breath, open some other website or something, and come back a bit later when you're chilled out. That's what I do too if something offends me. On a forum there's bound to be arguements or disagreements, but they are only words, in the end.

And if someone - like in your case - is told to be a bit more specific about his posting, it's mostly in the best interest of the overall picture. In case of posting answers to people's problems, you always have to look at it from the perspective of the person with the problem, for example. Ask yourself if your answer is really going to help, or if it will perhaps make the topic unnecessarily full or complex. That often happens when 3 or 4 people give half answers, and it can confuse the person in need of help.

You cannot be right all the time, no one is, that's for sure. But just ask yourself that question.. does it help? Does it contribute? If you're not sure, think about skipping it.
You are not expected to be 100% on topic everywhere all the time and not expected to have all the answers, but try to make your posts worthwhile, and there's no one who will say anything negative about it, easy as that mate.

Regards,
Fred
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines