Hello Guest July 27, 2024, 01:06:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: More control please!  (Read 10322 times)

MrFlappy102

• Forum member
More control please!
« on: May 29, 2008, 00:27:15 »

I think that VSTEP should give you more in depth control of your ship. For instince on Microsoft's Flight Simulator you can control how much fuel you have, lights, right down to opening and closing doors. I think that's how ship sim should be and I was just wondering if anyone else agreed?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:08:55 by MrFlappy102 »

SWAT1228

• Forum member
Re: More control please!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 00:44:53 »

I agree but maybe it would be to much of a strain on the servers?

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 00:52:43 »

I agree but maybe it would be to much of a strain on the servers?
Disable it in multiplayer.

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 08:46:13 »

do the gauges we have at the moment even work

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:16:50 »

I think that VSTEP should give you more in depth control of your ship. For instince on Microsoft's Flight Simulator you can control how much fuel you have, lights, right down to opening and closing doors. I think that's how ship sim should be and I was just wondering if anyone else agreed?

Indeed, i played FSX (trial), and they have heaps of controls even i cant remember  ;D, thats what makes a game great at simulating  ;), same thing with MSTS, the have quite a few controls to, looks line SS08 is the only one without many controls, i encourage VSTEP to get creative no matter how hard it will be to figure out even how to start a ship. Surely this whole simple control thing has not been delibratley made this way?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 09:19:28 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

ACR

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 10:22:17 »

you are all right, but who believes this ever will happen?

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 10:36:46 »

you are all right, but who believes this ever will happen?
No one because people need to understand big game companies such as microsoft have HUGE resources. VSTEP does not.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 12:36:20 »

No one because people need to understand big game companies such as microsoft have HUGE resources. VSTEP does not.

Wohhaaaa! I see that a special web shop on the web is offering  cheap cans of patience and some patience bottle drinks for a very small price. I think I'll buy some ;D

RoyalMarine1

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 15:48:42 »

I think before you set sail you should choose what controls you want to have i.e. the easy ones like on the Pioneer or the hard on the Ocean Star.

I find it quite hard to control the Ocean Star with her current controls via mouse, even though you can use a key board and steering wheel.

Captain Lewis (HM)

baldax

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 16:19:51 »

i would say yes but is not exactly if i say more controls.. maybe jst more realistic..

. (example: an autopilot would be great.)  ....

MrFlappy102

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 17:08:27 »

I don't know much about computer programming, but would it really be that hard for VSTEP to maybe add a switch for the lights or a way to open and close the doors?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 20:05:45 by MrFlappy102 »

MrFlappy102

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 17:09:27 »

do the gauges we have at the moment even work
I don't think so

Simaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 18:31:35 »

I have installed and tried the new Patch 1.42, and it does show a great improvement in ship controls even Ocean Star I managed to take into Southampton for the First time.
Requests are easy, Programming is not.
Anthony (Simaddict)

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 23:51:14 »

Wohhaaaa! I see that a special web shop on the web is offering  cheap cans of patience and some patience bottle drinks for a very small price. I think I'll buy some ;D
Yes, I can see that you like cheap shots. ;D
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 05:48:05 »

Maybe VSTEP can sign a treaty with Microsoft company to help the make this game MORE complicate and realistic line other simulators (MSTS, FSX), in that way they could make it a rather more realistic simulation game.

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

beechjetkid17

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 06:05:13 »

Third Mate,

I'm not sure if thats the greatest idea...but thats not up to me  :-\
If VStep partnered with Microsoft, Ship Sim would be become much like FSX...mostly distributed in the U.S...the little things such as moving cars and AI would be focused on more than the actual aspects of the game.

Kind Regards,

Dan

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 06:28:24 »

Third Mate,

I'm not sure if thats the greatest idea...but thats not up to me  :-\
If VStep partnered with Microsoft, Ship Sim would be become much like FSX...mostly distributed in the U.S...the little things such as moving cars and AI would be focused on more than the actual aspects of the game.

Kind Regards,

Dan
Yes and then US people can FINNALY get the game. And little aspects are good, and then develop up the small things. You would expect a new version to come out every 2 years though.

baldax

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 06:38:45 »

for sure programmming its not easy, and vstep, for hat i think, had done an amazing job... so i think is not asking the point, bt giving them a help to keep up this sim!

ACR

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 08:16:55 »

Maybe VSTEP can sign a treaty with Microsoft company to help the make this game MORE complicate and realistic line other simulators (MSTS, FSX), in that way they could make it a rather more realistic simulation game.

i,m a big fan of trainsim and know this game since years. its an amazing story. the original package was not really pretty good and also bugged. but microsoft allowed for trainsim that 3rd party companies can develop addons for it. simulatany the programm code was designed that also the community can develop. this was a big benefit for all sides. other companies earned money with the addons, microsoft by itelf earned money becuase they sold the basic package. for any addon you of course need the basic game, and so trainsim  still is sold in the game stores- and we talk about a game release of 2001!!!! microsoft got big improvements and so the interest of the people for this game absolutely for free without any development costs!

its fantastic what especially freeware has done. today the best routes and the best locomotives are offered freeware. we have with msts bin features in the game microsoft in 2001 not even thought about. we have tons of editors improving the realizm and ONLY because of this we have a product up to date what has been released on 2001 und otherwise nobody would even think about.

unfortunetly vstep does not allow such a story. the game is blocked for freeware developers and also independent 3rd party companies. and since vstep by itself never will be able to improve the basic package this way (and the thruth is even microsoft did not this) this package now start to loose its fans and will dramatically in future.

we are stucked here to the original basic package and thats it. it will be soon the same fun gaming shipsim like it would be gaming trainsim with ONLY the original basic trains and the basic routes.

best regards

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 10:13:36 »

So i guess were back to square 1 huh... :-X.THE question is will we ever get more controls like maybe 10 on each ship/boat. Obiusely FSX has like 20 or even more MSTS has about 10 SS08 has only 4 including the thruster on some ships/boats. It's like running without fuel for a year :D.Hmm... ::)

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 10:20:25 »

So i guess were back to square 1 huh... :-X.THE question is will we ever get more controls like maybe 10 on each ship/boat. Obiusely FSX has like 20 or even more MSTS has about 10 SS08 has only 4 including the thruster on some ships/boats. It's like running without fuel for a year :D.Hmm... ::)
Have you seen the controls list for FSX. I am thinking about 500.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 03:47:54 »

Have you seen the controls list for FSX. I am thinking about 500.

OMG i totaly forgot.....LOL that is huge... :o

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2008, 09:26:14 »

i,m a big fan of trainsim and know this game since years. its an amazing story. the original package was not really pretty good and also bugged. but microsoft allowed for trainsim that 3rd party companies can develop addons for it. simulatany the programm code was designed that also the community can develop. this was a big benefit for all sides. other companies earned money with the addons, microsoft by itelf earned money becuase they sold the basic package. for any addon you of course need the basic game, and so trainsim  still is sold in the game stores- and we talk about a game release of 2001!!!! microsoft got big improvements and so the interest of the people for this game absolutely for free without any development costs!

its fantastic what especially freeware has done. today the best routes and the best locomotives are offered freeware. we have with msts bin features in the game microsoft in 2001 not even thought about. we have tons of editors improving the realizm and ONLY because of this we have a product up to date what has been released on 2001 und otherwise nobody would even think about.

unfortunetly vstep does not allow such a story. the game is blocked for freeware developers and also independent 3rd party companies. and since vstep by itself never will be able to improve the basic package this way (and the thruth is even microsoft did not this) this package now start to loose its fans and will dramatically in future.

we are stucked here to the original basic package and thats it. it will be soon the same fun gaming shipsim like it would be gaming trainsim with ONLY the original basic trains and the basic routes.

best regards

Virtual Sailor got the same concept somehow. But I have not seen any great "revolution" in development of freeware or pay ware for this game. Maybe it had something to do with the community they have where some members have VERY strong opinions when it comes to pay ware. I did make one pay ware for the game and that's all. I,m really sick and tired of trying to make add-ons up to some kind of "pay ware level" where the graphics at least look good. Most of the add-ons made for VS today is still cheap poor graphics and it's a quantity over quality culture that have been there for a long time. Also to made very special great graphical add-ons is very challenging and time-consuming which someone probably find very boring at the end when they have spent 5 months or so completely on making one add-on. Boats and ships are actually a lot  more complicated to design because they can have several decks and several tiny details. It may take working days to make such stuff.

Anyway I was probably one of the first on this forum that was fighting to get the same stuff for Ship Simulator like VS, but the answer was NO (and it still will be). Actually VSTEP is opening for add-ons but they prefer to review them first and cooperate with the developer to get it into the game. It's some kind of "quality control" or a gate you have to pass to get your add-ons into this game. I actually like that or we would maybe end up with 100s of creepy add-ons that none would hardly download at all. Besides of that VS add-on developers don't care 1% about copyrights. They just add a ship owners logo to the funnel without asking or get some kind of permission. That cud cause trouble for VSTEP.
The other thing is add-on piracy and infringement/violation of authors original work. I bet that you find a lot of pay ware add-ons for FS on torrent sites and stuff like that. Google is their best friend (when you take a search).

I don't really think that we would see many new add-ons for Ship Simulator if they did open the game a lot more. How many add-on developers is actually providing VSTEP with new ship/boats today? Probably not more than 5...Besides of that there is also limited on who can make such 3D models depending on the software. I prefer professional add-on developers rather than cheap wannabes. Besides I know what kind of work that is involved. Those who don't understand that will never understand it.

Besides (3rd time I use that word) some have very ambitious projects when they are beginners. Someone even want or is actually stating straight that they will make "Freedom of the Seas". Yes they will probably make it...but will it look like it? I'm afraid not... Leave it to the professionals. At least they know what work is involved and have several completed projects that they can show-off. We have seen GOAX and what he can do. That's the kind of add-on developer I will pay money for, not some cheap crappy stuff released with enormous big words. ::)

ACR

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 10:36:55 »

you cannot expect that perfect work is released immediately when you "release" the game. but when the community is interested in the idea of civil shipsimulation (and you can bet she is) work and improvements will carry on. the not worthy projects will also be there, simply do not download then. its pretty the same in trainsim. they are some very good developers in this scene and they put out some very good works. after a time you know who makes good work and just look for this one.

when vstep continues their politics no movement forward can be done. also no movement can be done in improving ship dynamics since the files are coded.

and you see here how it goes on with bugfixes and further improvements when vstep holds it all in his hands.

MrFlappy102

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 01:33:34 »

Im sure as VSTEP grows each new version will give us a little more control. All im asking for though is for VSTEP to give us maybe a switch to turn on and off some lights or something. Is that really to much to ask? ???

Don't forget to go to the next page to see more of this conversation.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 18:39:12 by MrFlappy102 »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines