Hello Guest September 01, 2024, 02:47:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: More control please!  (Read 10383 times)

JHB

• Forum member
Re: More control please!
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 09:24:23 »

Im sure as VSTEP grows each new version will give us a little more control. All im asking for though is for VSTEP to give us maybe a switch to turn on and off some lights or something. Is that really to much to ask? ???

No! That should be easy! :)

----------

When it comes to more boats I'm not sure. I would rather see improvements of existing boats that yet another 12 boats pack.
Some instrumentation on board a real simulator:

- Steering system
- Rudder Control
- Throttle Control
- Propulsion Control
- Engine Telegraph
- Thruster Control
- Azimuth Control
- Combinator Control
- Hydraulic Winch Control Panel
- Anchor Control
- RPM and Start Air Indicators
- Economy Indicator/Trim Control
- Gyro/Steering Gear Control
- Generator Control
- Watch Responsibility/Engine Control
- Control for Navigation Lights
- Control for Signal Lights
- Control for Deck Lights
- Search Light Control
- Sound Signals
- DGPS
- Loran C
- RDF
- NavTex
- Echosounder
- Gyro Repeater
- Magnetic Compass
- Doppler log
- Log/Distance/ Time display
- VHF/ VHF DSC
- MF / HF / HF DSC
- Telephone
- Intercom
- Engine Alarm
- Fire Indicator
- Distress Alert
- Overhead Console
- Engine Power Indicator
- Auto Pilot
- Radar Screen with control functions (CPA/TCPA stuff like that)
- ECDIS

These are just some of the panels that a real "Polaris Bridge Simulator" from Kongsberg can have. Ship Simulator got some of them. Some others have just the main features in this game and where other control features for the same device have not yet been added. Other controls are a part of the info panel but just as information and not as a controlling unit itself.

So this game have still a long way to go when it comes to instrumentation and controlling units at the bridge ;D (oh... ships got Auto Pilot too... I did forget to add that one) ;)

MrFlappy102

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 18:37:56 »

I want more control but I don't want as much as is shown above! Then it would just  become confusing.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 00:38:44 »

I want more control but I don't want as much as is shown above! Then it would just  become confusing.

Acualy, that would be a good idea ;).It dosent matter to me that it would get a bit confusing because you would face the same situation when you would go on a real boat/ship and if you get to experience the controls and have fun with them now, you would be ready :P.It's just like FSX you would need to know all the buttons and commands to fly a plane or even to start it 8).Looking at all these controls, i have a feeling only then i would be ACUALY simulating, because you have more controls and more responsibility and you would learn more how to start a boat, moving out of the harbour....etc.Weather now just by pressing 2 buttons and turning a wheel...well that would be pretty basic if you think about it, as said earlier you  cannot expect a game to be perfect when it comes out, still were just thinking how would it be... ::)

Third Mate
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 00:45:19 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 07:31:57 »

Greetings,
Yes, the list of wishes is very long,every new game there will be more options you can work with.
It only takes time to create these things.
As you prohably know.
Marc
N

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 08:23:52 »

Greetings,
Yes, the list of wishes is very long,every new game there will be more options you can work with.
It only takes time to create these things.
As you prohably know.
Marc

Yes it does  :D

baldax

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 11:21:04 »

----------

When it comes to more boats I'm not sure. I would rather see improvements of existing boats that yet another 12 boats pack.

- Steering system
- Rudder Control
- Throttle Control
- Propulsion Control
- Engine Telegraph
- Thruster Control
- Azimuth Control
- Combinator Control
- Anchor Control
- Generator Control
- Search Light Control
- Sound Signals
- DGPS
- Loran C
- RDF
- NavTex
- Echosounder
- Gyro Repeater
- Magnetic Compass
- Doppler log
- VHF/ VHF DSC
- MF / HF / HF DSC
- Telephone
- Intercom
- Engine Alarm
- Fire Indicator
- Distress Alert
- Overhead Console
- Engine Power Indicator
- Auto Pilot
- ECDIS

These are just some of the panels that a real "Polaris Bridge Simulator" from Kongsberg can have. Ship Simulator got some of them. Some others have just the main features in this game and where other control features for the same device have not yet been added. Other controls are a part of the info panel but just as information and not as a controlling unit itself.

So this game have still a long way to go when it comes to instrumentation and controlling units at the bridge ;D (oh... ships got Auto Pilot too... I did forget to add that one) ;)

and a simulator like that cost 2 billions euro right<?

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 20:01:04 »

Probably :P Most of it is hardware panels and consoles and a system of projectors. If it just was software based it would probably cost less.

You find all the instruments in FSX (many of them) in a real flight simulator but probably as hardware. The most impressive thing is that some FS enthusiasts build their own hardware cockpit for running FS on a realistic way. Today you can buy such hardware. If you are a electrician skilled enthusiast you can even make it by yourself.

Compared to instruments you find at a commercial aircraft in FSX vs instruments you find on a huge command bridge on a ship in SS it just show that the game have a long way to go (those I'm aware that FS have a long development history in opposite to  SS). :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 20:10:30 by JHB »

mcsvls

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2008, 17:06:10 »

VSTEP needs to open this simulator up with an SDK for it to be truly GREAT. All the best add-on planes and
systems for FLIGHT SIMULATOR don't come from Mircosoft, they come from user created companies or
individuals.

Open the sim up for this passionate community to develop for it.

That is the key.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2008, 17:35:36 »

VSTEP needs to open this simulator up with an SDK for it to be truly GREAT. All the best add-on planes and
systems for FLIGHT SIMULATOR don't come from Mircosoft, they come from user created companies or
individuals.

Open the sim up for this passionate community to develop for it.

That is the key.

Agreed. They think that it will be to hard for us. Well at least let us try. I know that most of us will go to extremes to make a new ship happen.

Virtual Sailor allows you to. Why can't Ship Sim. It can't possibly be that hard..

Capt. Le Velle

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 03:27:18 »

it might be a while be for we get the perfect ship sim but i dont think it will take that long

Pain is weakness leaving the body-Special Ops Instructors.
http://www.freewebs.com/shipsimusa/

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 23:28:56 »

----------

Steering systemRudder Control Throttle Control Propulsion Control Engine Telegraph Thruster Control Azimuth Control Combinator Control Hydraulic Winch Control Panel Anchor Control RPM and Start Air Indicators Economy Indicator/Trim Control Gyro/Steering Gear ControlGenerator ControlWatch Responsibility/Engine ControlControl for Navigation LightsControl for Signal LightsControl for Deck LightsSearch Light ControlSound Signals DGPS Loran C RDF NavTexEchosounder Gyro Repeater Magnetic CompassDoppler logLog/Distance/ Time displayVHF/ VHF DSCMF / HF / HF DSCTelephoneIntercomEngine AlarmFire IndicatorDistress Alert Overhead Console Engine Power IndicatorAuto Pilot Radar Screen with control functions (CPA/TCPA stuff like that) ECDIS - modified to save space

I have been playing with FSX (deluxe edition) for awhile and i feel like its real life because it has ALL the controls a real life plane does, it it also makes it harder for the player to discover and use these skills from starting a plane to turning off the engines after it lands the plane, same with ship sim from the moment you start the engines, pump fuel etc... to the moment you finally shut the engines down and you hear this echo of each of the engines shutting down.To me at the moment Ship sim has great level of detail, dynamics are fine, sea detail is fine, there is not an urgent need to add any more vessels well apart from the ones that will be added shortly, but what it defently needs to have is more commands,buttons and actions for each of the vessels, to me at the moment SS08 is kind of simple really with just a maximum of 6 controls around roughly 20 to 30 commands some of them involve an amount of shortcuts ans some are the acual buttons for controlling a part.Just play with FSX for like a week and see how it runs and how many controls it has even i only learned about 10 so far and im still have trouble learning the rest :D, and thats what makes it a great sim game...you learn every aspect of a ships controls, movement and so on....

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 10:25:22 »

but you need to remember that flight sim is a old game made by a very big company ship sim is new and made by a small company

John Carter

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 12:52:31 »

i suggest a merger :

VSTEP & Microsoft

with vstep in charge, of course

cj

Water Weasel

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2008, 18:58:08 »

Well here we go......once more on the carousel. (Did I spell that correctly?) We want more user features and an SDK. VStep says no, wait on us to develop this simulation. I still believe that allowing the community to do some development via an SDK, etc. would not only improve the game but it will attact and keep new customers. This will only mean more revenue for VStep.

I understand VStep's position of wanting to make sure everything in the game is of a high quality. We want the same high quality. Surely they can come up with a way to allow more community development and still have some kind of quality control.

There ya go....my opinion and a couple of bucks will buy you a cup of coffee.

WW

TerryRussell

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2008, 22:04:19 »

- Steering system
- Rudder Control
- Throttle Control
- Propulsion Control
- Engine Telegraph
- Thruster Control
- Azimuth Control
- Combinator Control
- Anchor Control
- Generator Control
- Search Light Control
- Sound Signals
- DGPS
- Loran C
- RDF
- NavTex
- Echosounder
- Gyro Repeater
- Magnetic Compass
- Doppler log
- VHF/ VHF DSC
- MF / HF / HF DSC
- Telephone
- Intercom
- Engine Alarm
- Fire Indicator
- Distress Alert
- Overhead Console
- Engine Power Indicator
- Auto Pilot
- ECDIS

You forgot somewhere to stick the ignition keys and a place to hang the lifejackets!

There ya go....my opinion and a couple of bucks will buy you a cup of coffee.

Not in Starbucks it won't!

John Carter

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2008, 16:40:35 »

i think vstep needs to attract more Spambot to ship sim, there is potentially a huge untapped market out there.

any ideas how we could attract them ?

terry, i'm sure you will have some suggestions.

TerryRussell

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2008, 17:00:29 »

I'm keeping them to myself (Spambot and ideas)  ;D

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2008, 18:52:37 »

i think vstep needs to attract more Spambot to ship sim, there is potentially a huge untapped market out there.

terry, i'm sure you will have some suggestions.

Get a yacht with a hottub that uses ambx  :P

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2008, 20:06:57 »

Perhaps make the ships look pretty in pink..?  ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 20:17:40 by saltydog »

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2008, 20:42:20 »

This has been my point allllll along. More interactivity on the Bridge and externally. All we get are simple controls. Things that JHB listed are expected, but i understand, ss have to draw the line somewhere, but what he and i are saying is that, on real vessel's, this is what we get. Even Virtual Sailor seems to have grasped that concept.

And before you start to moan, "Virtual Sailor is rubbish though", yes, i agree, BUT they have grasped the idea of working equipment in the wheelhouse and externally, things like GPS's on the bridge, maps, radar's, depth sounders, flood lights, dim lights on the bridge, being able to properly capsize your boat. They are just some of the things in Virtual Sailor that SS needs to grasp, in my opinion. Although SS is FAR better for graphics etc. but Virtual Sailor CAN be just as good with the right content created. I think SS will need to watch their backs very soon, because Virtual Sailor is developing, and fast.....

Jack.
p.s. Dim lights on the bridge of the Coromuel, and external view. (this is the static ship in SS that you see by the harbour wall, this is a playable vessel in VS, but with a different external look)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 20:49:24 by IRI5HJ4CK »
Kind Regards,
Jack.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2008, 09:59:39 »

And i forgot to mention (I can't edit my post for some reason, it says i have already posted it or something) you can actually open the cargo doors, now i'm sure SS could do this if VS can. Like i said in my last post, if SS don't start doing things like this, then VS will pass SS, and there is even a watertight door panel (which i'm sure SS could make it work) See the pictures below:

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

TerryRussell

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2008, 10:52:04 »

But obviously no safety interlock built in... All those cars are now driving off into the water, aren't they? OOPS!  ;D

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2008, 10:58:25 »

haha, true enough Terry, blame Nathan, he was the one who took the pictures :D ;D

But wouldn't it be great if we had this in SS09?

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

NathanC

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2008, 12:25:39 »

haha, true enough Terry, blame Nathan, he was the one who took the pictures :D ;D

I knew someone would stop my naughty plan, why did you tell him it was me  ;D

*Can all passengers please disembark from the car deck, have a nice day....MWAHAHAHAHAAHAH.. sir, that mic is still on  ;D

By the way, i have made a video of that ferry showing some of the features - it would be nice to have them in SS2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wloq5tqkLjM

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2008, 18:35:43 »

Great video Nathan, it looked very professional ;)

Jack.
p.s. I'm aaa lovvvvin that Ro Ro Ferryyy, can you send me the link to download it? :D ;D
Kind Regards,
Jack.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines