Hello Guest April 20, 2024, 00:52:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: [video] How to handle the Red Eagle.  (Read 26266 times)

AlexKall

• Forum member
Re: [video] How to handle the Red Eagle.
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 18:18:23 »

Do you also have the problem that the throttles always go back to 0% when you change the view between outside and the bridge? Is it a bug?

I presume you're using a joystick. It's because the joysticks put these controls at 0 when they are "activated", the joystick is not active in the walkaround mode. Thats how it is for me atleast if I have an axis assosiated with the throttle.
[MPSS]AlexKall

AlexKall

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2007, 20:48:13 »

Well I docked with the terminal today, was alot of fun.

Took the way from the small boats past the terminal then turned around and then docked with the terminal :)

[MPSS]AlexKall

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2007, 17:50:36 »

I've given up, and am dissapointed with red eagle I was looking forward to it being in the game but it's totally useless and handles nothing like the real thing in any way, the only similarities are, it's got four wheels and it looks the same from the outside.

If it's happening with this ship then what other ships are totaly incorrect in their handling charicteristics? I really wish that they would move away from the 'ahead/astern/port and stbd only' parameters and make each ship handle very different to one another and have the same interactive controls as they do in real life, at the moment from what I can see all of the ships have the same handling and controls they just do it all at different speeds.

I know the game is in it's infancy and will develop over the next few years but I'm sure I'm not the only one who could get bored with this aspect of the game and therfore not bother buying further releases of it and the whole development thing comes to a grinding halt because of lack of funds.

[img width=585 height=150http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9431/panddax5.png]

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2007, 23:15:13 »

If it's happening with this ship then what other ships are totaly incorrect in their handling charicteristics? I really wish that they would move away from the 'ahead/astern/port and stbd only' parameters and make each ship handle very different to one another and have the same interactive controls as they do in real life, at the moment from what I can see all of the ships have the same handling and controls they just do it all at different speeds.

Isn't that pretty much what it's like in real life?  ???  I mean most ships simply have "'ahead/astern/port and stbd only' parameters".

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 00:37:01 »

Hi Pigdog,

Have you watched the nice tutorial video. I was stumped before but can 'drive' it OK now.

Not sure if it's 100% accurate as Red Funnel wouldn't let me have a go with the real one for comparison.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 07:06:05 »

Yay it moves   :D

Thanks

muns

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2007, 08:41:32 »

Hi Pigdog,

Have you watched the nice tutorial video. I was stumped before but can 'drive' it OK now.

Not sure if it's 100% accurate as Red Funnel wouldn't let me have a go with the real one for comparison.

Stu

Do you blame them? They wont let me have a go either!  ;D

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2007, 09:32:08 »

Do you blame them? They wont let me have a go either!  ;D

After that shark ate the red jet I was driving I don't think they would let me drive there big boat either :(

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2007, 14:47:56 »

I have watched the vid and very good it is too, but what I'm saying is they have spent alot of time and effort on making the ship models and scenery really realistic and hats off to them it looks fantastic but the handling seems to have been left behind.

Yes ships do have ahead/astern, port/stbd paramiters but they also slide through the water sideways with wind/tide and the effect of their props/waterjets and depth of water etc.

I'm so glad they modelled the wheels on the red eagle but getting them to work correctly is also a major part of it, at the moment it's a double ended ferry that really only goes one way, whats the point of having a simulator if all the vessels from a small water taxi up to a VLCC are all controlled from the same set of paramiters and basic controls when in reality they are controlled by completley different types of propulsion and handle very different.
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't think you'll find a wheel anywhere in sight on red jet 4's bridge it's more likely to be a joystick and it will have the ability to steer each jet independently with other joysticks, the same goes for the P&O Ferry that may have independent rudder controls operated by joystick.

krishnaiow

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2007, 16:35:20 »

in some fairness you does have apoint, red jet four doesnt have wheels to control the steering, and i can see where you are coming from.

although, with the affects of the tide an wind as you mention there would be a lot of of extra work needed.
perhaps these affects will be added in the future! (hopefully)

Ferrymaster

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2007, 16:37:12 »

someone can make a movie that the red eagle moors at the terminal?
(instead of departure)

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2007, 21:02:26 »

Yes ships do have ahead/astern, port/stbd paramiters but they also slide through the water sideways with wind/tide and the effect of their props/waterjets and depth of water etc.

I thought they already had the sliding therough water feature, if they didn't I would not have totalled the Titanic against the harbour wall! :D

There are wind affects and there are shallow areas to avoid.

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2007, 10:04:46 »

That's my point right there,

The Titanic rests at the bottom of the Atlantic so no one really knows how she handles (like a pig I would imagine) but in the game she handles the same as all the others.

It is probably documented somewhere about her handling charicteristics but I doubt anyone developing the game looked at these and if they did they probably thought aghhh b*******s to that let's make them all handle the same.

You have no external forces placed on the models in the game only what you input via the controls, which by the way are all the same they just deliver at slightly different speeds therefore simulating nothing except each other.

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2007, 14:20:18 »

Ships are blown off course in the game, and if left unmoored they do float away a bit.  And what do you mean by different handling?  The Titanic does have a bigger turning circle than other ships such as the patrol boat and longer stopping distances and slower acceleration but higher top speed.  How much more different do you want it to be?

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2007, 15:53:35 »

I had the Red Eagle in cowes with the wind on her beam with all controls set to 0, with the wind as hard as it can blow away from the berth and she just sat there doing nothing didn't even move, again while entering cowes under way she was not moving across the surface of the water except for ahead, with the wind blowing on her beam, so I wouldn't say that ships are blown off course in the game they just go ahead and astern through the water, if that was anything remotely resembling a real life situation she would be half way up the Medina river.

It's what ship handling (driving a ship) is all about, using the elements to your advantage and battling against them to carry out a bething or a voyage, look at any of the flight sims if you have cross winds or anything your plane is blown off course and rocked about, here with shipsim yes you have waves but they just go up and down, very beautifully may I add but they have no real effect on the progress of your ship through the water niether does the wind and there are no tides in the game anyway so I won't even go there.

By different handling I mean the way in which you actually control each vessel, even two sisterships will have different handling charicteristics one may be easier to control than the other, but in this context I'm talking about a wide range of ships within the game they all react to whatever steering/propulsion input you put in they just carry out them inputs at different speeds, which explains the bigger turning circle/stopping distances with the Titanic but my point is the PoR would be far more manouverable in real life than she is in the game and I dare say the Titanic would be far less, there isn't enough difference between each ship or ship type at the moment hopefully this can be rectified, but getting back to the Red Eagle which is what this topic is all about, her controls are totally wrong therefore in the game she will never handle or control anywhere near to how she would in the real world.

So the difference I would like to see is at least getting the controls to do what they are supposed to do and have a slight bit of realism in the game.

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2007, 18:38:20 »

That's odd, must be a bug because the weather did affect ships in SS06.

BigBravo21

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2007, 10:07:00 »

Ah I see. It's as if the thing hasn't got a propeller and rudders at all, just some kind of jet outlet at each end which rotate !
I see it now and thank you for this.
But why didn't they remove the reverse positions from the throttle lever ?

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2007, 10:56:48 »

No, that is a total different system, it has VSP's.

More about VSP's in here

The Red eagle has one in the front and one in the back.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2007, 19:45:02 »

Just think of a VS unit as a giant food blender!  ;D
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Botter

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2007, 22:37:42 »

Hi!

Its a cool video..! But How do you make such video's? Is it an option of the game itself? Or do I have to push a button on my keyboard.. Or do I have to download something? I hope someone wants give an answer on my question.. I want to make some cool videos of The Arie Visser to show my dad (who's a member of the knrm) how the boat looks, sounds and sails.. I only could show the looks with a couple of screenshots..

Greetz.. Christian

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2007, 22:41:59 »

You need to download a recording programme.  FRAPS sounds as though it is the best for this purpose.  It should come with instructions for use.

Sailor.Bob

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2007, 23:20:00 »

nice! i thought it had a weird kind of azipod or something ^^, thats something i would like to see in SS2008, a boat powered by azipods.

Botter

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2007, 08:57:36 »

You need to download a recording programme.  FRAPS sounds as though it is the best for this purpose.  It should come with instructions for use.
    You would come with instructions for me :) Maybe you forgot it.. so I thought.. maybe i could help you remember it again.. :D

Kind regards

Smiffa

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2007, 13:23:16 »

Hi,

I've been a silent lurker here for a little while now.  Just thought I'd say thanks for the tips in this thread, very useful stuff and managed now to work out how to get this thing moving and re-live some holiday trips.

;D

- Smiffa

Edited for language, DJM.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 13:26:10 by [RWP]DJM »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2007, 10:27:55 »

As the stability issues appear to have been sorted out quite nicely with the Red Eagle, I have played it 'once or twice'  ;) and can say the secret is to use very gentle use of the controls.

Whether this is prototypical or not, I have found that when docking use one pod for forward and the other for turning and only play with both together once you are used to it.

Also, some videos I've seen show people racing to the terminal and going full astern just before the collision. Try going into the harbour at sensible speeds 8kts or so and be at crawling speed when your ship actually enters the berth. Its a nice ship now the controls are sorted (just watch there is still a bug in the pod direction gauge).

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines