Hello Guest July 04, 2024, 09:09:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic Trivia  (Read 29212 times)

trains

• Forum member
Re: Titanic Trivia
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 22:11:30 »

all right. here's one. was the Titanic A.) American. B.) English. or C.) Irish?

thanks to TJK for this awsome sig :D

Radeon HD 6850; AMD FX 4100 3.62 Ghz; 4 GB Ram

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 22:38:23 »

b)English
life is expensive but it includes a trip round the sun every year!

moderator on www.ssme.heavenforum.com/forum
join for free now!

trains

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 22:47:51 »

no.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 23:38:27 »

i know too much ::)  where was the "unsinkable" ship built?

It was built in a drydock. On top of some concrete blocks
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 23:39:26 »

no.
Quite debatable.
 It was operated by a British company that was owned by a US holding company. It was flying a red ensign and had a British skipper...
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

mvsmith

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2008, 02:51:17 »

It was built in a drydock. On top of some concrete blocks
Actually, Stu, her hull was built on #2 slipway under the Arrol gantry in H&W’s Queen’s shipyard. Fitting out was done in the Thompson Graving Dock—which the Belfast Port Authority built just in time to take Olympic.
Marty

TJK

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2008, 03:08:26 »

b)English

no.
RMS Titanic was an Olympic-class passenger liner owned by the White Star Line
White Star Line, was a prominent British shipping company, most famous for its ill-fated luxury flagship, the RMS Titanic
SO English she was
TJK

TJK

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2008, 03:11:40 »

Actually, Stu, her hull was built on #2 slipway under the Arrol gantry in H&W’s Queen’s shipyard. Fitting out was done in the Thompson Graving Dock—which the Belfast Port Authority built just in time to take Olympic.
Marty

built at the Harland and Wolff shipyard Belfast North Ireland

TJK

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2008, 03:13:09 »

Here are 3 question
what type of steam engine was titanic powered by? and how many cylinders did each engine have? Titanic used  ?? tons of coal every day?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 03:18:02 by TJK »

mvsmith

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2008, 03:59:28 »

Quite debatable.
 It was operated by a British company that was owned by a US holding company. It was flying a red ensign and had a British skipper...
Also, Stu, she flew the blue ensign because she was under command of an admiral in the RNR.
White Star Lines was, at that time, a wholly owned subsidiary of J.P. Morgan’s International Mercantile Marine. She was as much a US ship as any US ship registered in Liberia.
Marty

trains

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2008, 04:03:49 »

guys. the answer to my question was A.) American. she just had a British flag ;)

TJK

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2008, 04:07:15 »

guys. the answer to my question was A.) American. she just had a British flag ;)
RMS Titanic was an Olympic-class passenger liner owned by the White Star Line
White Star Line, was a prominent British shipping company, most famous for its ill-fated luxury flagship, the RMS Titanic
SO English she was

mvsmith

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2008, 04:09:21 »

Titanic had two triple-expansion reciprocating engines with three cylinders each. The exhaust steam drove a Parsons turbine on the center screw. She burned 600 tons/day with all boilers on line.
Marty

TJK

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2008, 04:09:46 »

Here are 3 question
what type of steam engine was titanic powered by? and how many cylinders did each engine have? Titanic used  ?? tons of coal every day?
I Thoth this was a question topics??

TJK

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2008, 04:12:05 »

Titanic had two triple-expansion reciprocating engines with three cylinders each. The exhaust steam drove a Parsons turbine on the center screw. She burned 600 tons/day with all boilers on line.
Marty

wrong
right
Here are the right answer
you're good, 2 triple expansions with 4 cylinders
Engines - 2 reciprocating 4 cylinder direct drive inverted steam engines delivering 30,000 HP at 75 RPM for the 2 outside propellers, and 1 low pressure Parsons Turbine delivering 16,000 HP at 165 RPM for the center propeller. The Parsons was powered by excess steam from the other 2 engines. Titanic used 825 tonns off coal every day.

you turn, i'm sleepy
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 04:20:28 by TJK »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2008, 08:36:24 »

Also, Stu, she flew the blue ensign because she was under command of an admiral in the RNR.
White Star Lines was, at that time, a wholly owned subsidiary of J.P. Morgan’s International Mercantile Marine. She was as much a US ship as any US ship registered in Liberia.
Marty

This is a point that keeps on re-appearing every so often. Whilst EJS was entitled to fly a blue ensign, it was flying a red ensign at the time- this is clearly stated in the memorial museum in sounthampton under the 'myths and legends of titanic'

I think describing the Nationality of the ship as US- as in your example above is a little misleading. Please have a look at www.companieshouse.gov.uk/archive and check whether white star line was a registered British company or registered US company.

For example (and I realise this may be hard for US to believe) but Britain owns several US companies- for example did you know that well over 2/3 of your kids school buses are operated by companies owned by Britain. Are these British companies par se? No. They are listed as US companies, under US law, with US workers and pay US taxes... but are owned by British companies.

Would you describe the Pride of Dover (example) as a British ship or an Arabic ship (DP ports?)

Or a better one- are half of US ports American or Arabic (DP ports again). I'm afraid that the concept of conventional Nationalism is a little more complicated than a simple yes/no.

Apologies to trains, or whoever it was, for this straying from Titanic... It was bound to happen sooner or later

Still no mention of Mar*ite though

EDIT: Are you sure EJS was an Admiral of the RNR... I don't actually think that is possible, but I'm not 100%. He was a Commodore (named after a make of computer  ;) ) but that was a civilian rank.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 08:52:28 by Stuart2007 »

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2008, 09:05:41 »

OO! OO! HERE'S ONE!

1) Which ship below is the RMS Titanic, as opposed to its sister, the RMS Olympic?
2) What are 2 of the differences between the 2 ships that are most noticable in these photos, so you can tell which it is?

TJK

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2008, 09:14:06 »

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2008, 09:15:08 »

allmost right
here are the right anwer but i give you right, you turn

Length - 882 feet 9 inches.
Beam - 92 feet 6 inches.
Draft - 34 feet 7 inches.
Height - 175 feet from keel to stack (the boat deck was 60 feet 6 inches above the waterline).
Decks - 9 total, A through G with the boilers below.
Weight - 46,328 Registered Tons.
Capacity: 3,547 passengers and crew, fully loaded
TJK ;D ;D
My corrections are in bold.

Correction Explanations:
1) The Titanic was 3 inches longer than her 882.5 foot sister
2)this stat is more exact
3)this, too, is more exact

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2008, 09:16:14 »

trains

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2008, 13:30:56 »

OO! OO! HERE'S ONE!

1) Which ship below is the RMS Titanic, as opposed to its sister, the RMS Olympic?
2) What are 2 of the differences between the 2 ships that are most noticable in these photos, so you can tell which it is?

top is Titanic, bottom is Olympic. it's the windows that are diffrent just before the top boat deck ;)

mvsmith

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2008, 14:51:52 »

White Star Line

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Star_Line

RMS Titanic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic

she was english, just read

Hi Tore,
I did read the top Wiki, which clearly states the WSL was American owned at the time of Titanic’s building:

"In 1902, the White Star Line was absorbed into the International Mercantile Marine Co. (IMM), a large American shipping conglomerate. By 1903, IMM had managed to absorb the American Line, Dominion Line, Atlantic Transport Line, Leyland Line, and Red Star Line. They also came to trade agreements with the German lines Hamburg-Amerika and Norddeutscher Lloyd. Bruce Ismay ceded control to IMM in the face of intense pressure from shareholders and J.P. Morgan, who threatened a rate war."

Regards,
Marty

TJK

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2008, 16:49:13 »

Hi Tore,
I did read the top Wiki, which clearly states the WSL was American owned at the time of Titanic’s building:

"In 1902, the White Star Line was absorbed into the International Mercantile Marine Co. (IMM), a large American shipping conglomerate. By 1903, IMM had managed to absorb the American Line, Dominion Line, Atlantic Transport Line, Leyland Line, and Red Star Line. They also came to trade agreements with the German lines Hamburg-Amerika and Norddeutscher Lloyd. Bruce Ismay ceded control to IMM in the face of intense pressure from shareholders and J.P. Morgan, who threatened a rate war."

Regards,
Marty

OK Marty
she was not Norwegian ;D i believe you and rest my case :D
TJK
Tore

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2008, 18:28:43 »

top is Titanic, bottom is Olympic. it's the windows that are diffrent just before the top boat deck ;)
yes, that is the promenade A deck...

but I said to list 2!

Can you give a second difference?

hint: look at the (5 letters) house...

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2008, 20:52:49 »

Hi Marty.

Noone will argue with you about this, but fact is that White Star Line was a British company and it would not make it American even if 100% of its shares was on American hands. That would only make it an American owned British Company.

Titanic was British.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 20:54:28 by Al Bundy »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines