Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 01:52:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A little disappointed  (Read 10641 times)

mikeant

• Forum member
A little disappointed
« on: March 28, 2008, 01:00:02 »

Am I the only one to be a little disappointed?
After paying AU $70 for the game, I found quite a few missions that are unable to be completed, I now find that the add-on is another AU $37 (hopefully to fix parts of the existing game?).

I have many simulation games (MS Flight Sim from 95 through to the latest versions) that were around the same price as ship sim 2008 but all of the games/missions worked. Having to pay extra seems a little 'strong', perhaps if the game had been complete I would not have been so disappointed (it is always a shame to spend hours on a mission only to find that it cannot be completed once you have spent some time searching the forums).

Just a thought.
 ???
Michael

mvsmith

Re: A little disappointed
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 01:30:03 »

Michael,
Please tell us your version, and list the titles of the missions that you can’t complete.
It would help if you also gave a description of the trouble.
We try to be helpful, but general complaints without information can only be ignored.
Marty

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 01:44:26 »

The addon you say you have to pay for is for new content. The patches that are free are to fix the bugs. So you don't NEED to pay to fix your game, it is only additional content.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 01:49:05 »

That must be the most faked info I have ever heard! How can Ship Simulator cost more than Flight Simulator? >:(

I don't get this guy... ::)

trains

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 02:20:21 »

I don't get this guy... ::)
i don't get you :P ;D

thanks to TJK for this awsome sig :D

Radeon HD 6850; AMD FX 4100 3.62 Ghz; 4 GB Ram

Cobrattack

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 02:36:48 »

Sorry you feel that way, I have Vista and a close to minimum spec computer so I had alot of problems at first but with help from the members of this community I have everything working GREAT now!!  Yes there are a few mission that are bugged but using the custom mission's makes up for this greatly!!  Not to mention the Multiplayer aspect of it (you need to upgrade to Version 1.3 which is a free upgrade to do that).  As far as the "Add-On" costing more.  Don't get the 2006 Add-On,, get the New Horizons Expansion, it has the same items as the Add-On plus a few and is well worth it.  It of course is not something that you MUST get though.  You can continue to enjoy Ship Sim without it but it does add quite alot to the game.  The people in this community are VERY helpful, you just have to give them a chance to help you by letting them know exactly what problems you are having  ;D

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 03:33:48 »

FSX Deluxe at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/105-5549106-5785215?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=FSX&x=0&y=0]
$44.99

Ship Simulator 2008 at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-3079819-7972847?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Ship+Simulator+2008&x=0&y=0
$39.99

I know about a doctor if some still don't get me ;D

Don't blame VSTEP if the local store did set another completely different price...
You have to pay for the FSX Acceleration pack too so I doubt that it's not so much to yell about. I pay bills for my life and I enjoy it. And the price for this game is CHEAP compared to other "huge" game titles (FPS games etc.). So this is storm in a glass of water if you ask me :P
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 03:36:03 by JHB »

thassos

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 12:29:11 »

Errr  Australian Dollars are not the same as American Dollars
The right to speak does not include the right to be taken seriously.

Creator on Creators Forum

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 14:01:04 »

Errr  Australian Dollars are not the same as American Dollars

So? Why does that matter? JHB (I think) was comparing the prices difference between both programs.

I for one, think that ShipSim 08 price wise is absolutely fine, some add-on packs for other games cost the same as the original game itself. Besides, the more money VSTEP earn, the more time and resources thy have to make ShipSim better :)

I wish people would stop complaining all the time :(
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

mikeant

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 14:10:10 »

Yes exactly, in Australian $, the games are nearly the same cost.  Try doing a search with .com.au to get some real costs, and try going back 4 months before the Aussie $ got stronger........ = the costs as stated.
===========================================================
Now for the more civilised respondees!

Thank you Marty for a gentle reply........ mine is version 1.3 build 1018

Mission problems are as stated by others whilst searching mission issues:
1) Phi Phi Hovercraft Charter... when the mission is finished, the mission does not end and its completion is not registered.

2) At work on the Atlantic... there are no green circles at the last 2 waypoints at the oil rig; mission can't be completed.

3) Leaving the new terminal... waypoint green circle is inside the Vermaas and inaccessible.

4) Pride of Rotterdam leaves home port... same as item 1) above.

5) Inbound Hamburg... the Vermaas sinks when switching from the North Sea to the Hamburg scene.

6) Offshore Supplier... as explained above and in item 1).

7) Titanic voyage to New York... as explained above in item 1).
========================================================
Also, I have mainly played the basic game and not spent much time doing custom missions, hence my disappointment.
I guess the competitive part of me wanted to get 'ticks in all the boxes' (to have completed the missions) before entering the world of customising my own missions. (PS I have played a lot of the downloadable missions also though).

My main objective was not to start a 'whinge fest', I was only vocalising a little disappointment in being unable to complete the basic missions.

Michael

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 14:11:43 »

Michael,

I was able to complete the offshore supplier mission. Perhaps it's something to do with your computer??
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 14:17:53 »

Ive completed the "Pride of Rotterdam leaves home port" mission...
Regards,
James

mvsmith

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 15:33:15 »

Michael,
Indeed many of the earlier missions, both those supplied with the sim, and those created by others, are flawed.
Some have been made so by changes in the sim, such as the inability to cast off static ships that are moored when the mission begins.
Others can be completed only if the player can read the mind of the creator. Many of these involve hidden waypoints—always a potential problem—that the creator has not ensured that the player will hit.

The system of having missions submitted to, and vetted by, Custom Mission Managers is intended to reduce the number of faulty missions.

An understanding of how missions are constructed can be helpful in playing them—even if you are not ready to construct them yourself. There is a tutorial in PDF form that you can download from FAQ and Announcements > Tutorials.

If you have difficulty with a mission, and can’t find help on it posted somewhere on the Missions board, just move on to another one. There are many—of varying quality and difficulty.

Speaking for the CMMs, we always want to hear about any difficulties you encounter with a mission. We ask that you identify the mission by its exact title, and give as detailed a description of the problem as possible.
Regards,
Marty

Finn700

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 16:49:10 »

2) At work on the Atlantic...
This mission has couple of invisible waypoints which must be reached.
The last visible waypoint tells you to turn towards NW, so turn to NW (quickly enough) and keep that direction until the two last waypoints are activated. If you turn too slowly or do not keep NW direction precisely enough, you'll drive past the activation point.

7) Titanic voyage to New York...
This has invisible waypoint just next to the fifth iceberg, If you don't go close enough you can drive off the map and enter New York 'wrong way'.

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 17:28:36 »

Offshore supplier was updated in missions on forum.
 Leaving new terminal   updated as above.
 Inbound hamburg hit any of the buoys you will damage and sink
 ran this twice 38/40mins to complete no problems entering hamburg
                                                                                           Eric

mvsmith

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 18:42:14 »

Michael,
Most of the problems with difficult missions involve invisible waypoints. CMMs are now very strict about these. The Guidelines can be read at the top of the Missions board.
Other missions fall short in the waypoint notes. They should tell you what to do as you approach each waypoint. The limited space in the notes and intro usually requires more information be supplied by the creator in a topic in the Missions board.
Some missions—with a Pro difficulty—require good seamanship, proper lookout, some knowledge of basic navigation, and close attention to the notes.
Regards,
Marty

Finn700

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 20:15:00 »

Mission updates on the forum are futile, because they can't be used as official mission, therefore no one has successfully completed for example the "Leaving new terminal"-mission.
Hopefully those things are corrected on 1.4 patch.

mvsmith

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 20:52:37 »

Finn700,
New Horizons does not “patch” missions, it adds new ones, some of which have problems.
Missions don’t require a “patch”; corrected versions can simply be posted on the Missions board.
There are really no “official” missions. At some time in the future, perhaps missions that have been through the CMM process will have meaningful ranks assigned. At present, the only significant difference between missions included in a version, missions down-loaded in-game, and those posted on the forum is that some ZIPs on the forum are unlocked so that anyone can open them in the ME and alter them.
The in-game downloads are somewhat more reliable than the other two, because they have been tested more critically.
Marty

Finn700

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 23:11:18 »

"New Horizons does not “patch” missions"
Not interested about New Horizons, more interested version 1.4, because I don't have the New Horizons, yet.

And the simple fact that NO-ONE has completed the 'leaving new terminal" says that it is a OFFICIAL mission which is timed on the "highscores"-section, and downloading and completing 'the patched version' doesn't affect the official timing.

mvsmith

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 00:09:07 »

New Horizons is v1.4. There is no “v1.4 patch”. This has been covered many, many, times on this forum.

rdahmes

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 15:37:34 »

I purchased New Horizons and although I certainly haven't played all the new missions, I can report one "bug" in the Agile mission from Marseille to Rotterdam.  After examining the abandoned yacht and upon entering Rotterdam, the Agile is placed about 300m above the harbor on it's side.

Rob

mvsmith

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 19:45:51 »

Hi Rob,
Please give the exact title of missions when you report problems. We have many to manage from different sources and the mission “where you sail the boat someplace” is sometimes difficult to find.
Thanks,
Marty

rdahmes

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 12:39:46 »

Hi Marty........the exact title of the mission is: "With the Agile from Marseille to Rotterdam".  It is listed as a medium mission.

Rob

Cobrattack

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 17:46:06 »

On the Agile one "With the Agile from Marseille to Rotterdam" I was able to complete it,, I was moving at 6kn when I zoned into Rotterdam though, so must have landed on something when I zoned in.

mvsmith

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2008, 21:25:58 »

It’s hard to believe that this mission was actually tested. It has two land-style waypoints, which any tester should have spotted.

There is no warning in the waypoint text that the player must stop AS in that waypoint. That might be permissible for a truly “agile” boat, but not for a vessel with the stopping distance of AS.
Alternatively, a Rescue waypoint with 0 people would have told the player that he needed to stop.

It is a good, interesting, and challenging mission and deserved a thorough testing.

The problem on entering Rotterdam is not readily repeatable and could only be examined in the editor, which testers cannot do in most cases.

Missions are considered “tested” if two testers can complete them. This does not mean that other players will not have problems.

Marty

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 07:36:23 by mvsmith »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines