Hello Guest April 19, 2024, 20:13:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Small forum suggestion.  (Read 7553 times)

Season

• Forum member
Small forum suggestion.
« on: June 16, 2007, 20:24:49 »

Haii.

I get really annoyed by the German topics when I press "Show unread posts since last visit.".

You know, when you go to your profile, you can set the country where you are from? Why not make that part of the forum only available for the people who has their country set to German?

Just something off my mind, I get annoyed by it since I do not understand German :S...

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: Small forum suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 21:26:34 »

Hey! I've got an idea... Why not just read the English bits and don't read the German bits... Can I patent that idea? ;)

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 22:25:17 »

Hey! I've got an idea... Why not just read the English bits and don't read the German bits... Can I patent that idea? ;)

Stu

;D ;D ;D ;D
Michael Porter Marine Design
www.mp-marine.com

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 10:09:20 »

Haha, no. My "Show unread posts since last visit" will get full by German threads :P. That's why it annoys me.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 11:21:31 »

Odd. I generally find that the number of Geran posts is quite low and I rarely see more than 2 topics.

Of course, our German speaking friends are probably just as annoyed at reading all zee English speaking posts.

I have an idea... Learn to read German? ;)

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 11:23:09 »

Odd. I generally find that the number of Geran posts is quite low and I rarely see more than 2 topics.

Of course, our German speaking friends are probably just as annoyed at reading all zee English speaking posts.

Stu

What about google translater?

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 11:33:22 »

Shipaddict,

The ultimate test of an electronic translator.

Translate the whole lot from German into English. Then:
Translate the whole lot from English to German.

Does it look like the original? If so, it works. If not, don't rely on it except for odd few words.

Stu

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 11:34:52 »

Stu

English is the world's language... so... No.
Why not make a Dutch board then? >_>

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 11:49:44 »

Nevertheless, I can still manage to find the English posts easy enough.

I can't speak/read German, and it isn't at the top of my list. Dutch is though as I'm quite often into Netherlands and Northern Belgium.

On a point can I ask any Dutch/ North Belgium people... How much of a similarity is there between Dutch and Flemish language?

Sorry to hijack your thread with this question.

I think unless the forum split onto two different servers entirely, you aren't going to cure the 'problem'.

Stu

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 12:09:58 »

Dutch and Flemish are nearly the same I think.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 12:24:20 »

Thanks Nub Cake.

It is easy to find language guides for Netherlands but not for Flanders. I go to Netherlands a few times per year but Flanders maybe every week in the summer.

It is very embaressing going to a country and not being able to speak a word. Yes, yes. I know many people around the world speak English but I get annoyed people coming to Britain and not speaking English so I amke the effort when I go abroad.

Thanks
Stu

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 20:49:20 »

English is the world's language... so... No.
Why not make a Dutch board then? >_>

Actually, the most common language is Mandarin...spoken by more people than any other language ;)
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 22:09:08 »

Actually, the most common language is Mandarin...spoken by more people than any other language ;)

Actually, I think bol*ox is the most common language. I know plenty of people that speak it.

Joking aside, airline pilots must speak english and I BELIEVE ship captains have to speak it to enter territorial water in most countries, although not certain.

It ISN'T spoken by the most number of people, but the most countries that use it as their primary language or a top second language.

Stu

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 00:02:35 »

Stuart2007, Dutch people will look weird when a tourist tries to talk Dutch. At least I prefer all foreigners to talk English, German or Dutch and then the one of the three they speak the best.

Nub Cake, as a Dutch person you should be able to understand and talk a little bit of German. Didn't you go to high-school?
Wout

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 00:13:45 »

I'm sorry, but I think tourists should make the effort. I find my fellow Brits embaressing when they go abroad and walk into a bar saying "twwwooooo beeeeeerrrrss pleeease" over pronouncing words like someone is thick just because they are from another country, and who generally speak far better English than my own countrymen.

If I go to the Netherlands and try to speak a little Dutch and get comments of "no, its pronounced like this... " then I get better. If I go and assume because you may well speak English then a)I will never learn, B)You will assume (rightly) that I'm ignorant/arrogant.

Stu

zilverenmist

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 00:15:37 »

I am very happy it is no asian game...
As it took me 4 days to find the H for horn, I did not yet see any German posts, not even in unread messages.
But I admit to be a little slow sometimes...

Rob

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 02:12:59 »

Haha, no. My "Show unread posts since last visit" will get full by German threads :P. That's why it annoys me.

Maybe because you haven't read them??
 ;) ;)

There is an option to mark threads as read, so then you should see only the occasional message.

Cheers,
Michael
www.mp-marine.com

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 02:19:15 »

Stuart2007, Dutch people will look weird when a tourist tries to talk Dutch. At least I prefer all foreigners to talk English, German or Dutch and then the one of the three they speak the best.

Nub Cake, as a Dutch person you should be able to understand and talk a little bit of German. Didn't you go to high-school?

Hmmm, Wout, my experience (over many years) is that in the larger cities many (most?) people can and will speak English, but outside, even in the world of pubs and restaurants, one does better with one's marginal Dutch. German is usually a possible fallback.

But probably I'm hanging out with the wrong people.  ;D

Cheers,
Michael
www.mp-marine.com

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 04:15:24 »

Yup Wout, but that doesn't mean I know everything. I've only had German for 2 years and that's not enough if you want to read whole posts ;).

And I hate the language =l.

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 06:16:08 »

Greetings,
Yes,the flemish language and the dutch language,are similar to eachother.I can understand them good,and as far as i know they do understand me also.the writing is completly the same.
I never had English and German in the school,so this is all by selfstudy,i can read,speak and write english.
German however,i can speak and read it,writing,well i never done it sofar.
French,i can read it and speak it,but because of the miss of experience,i can't write it.
Infact this was my idea to start a french forum to,about the size of the german forum we have now.
This would be very nice for our french/canadian members,which are familiar to the french language,and also for the members who want to learn  a bit more about languages.
Regards
Marc
N

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 10:02:35 »

Well, to be perfectly honest, I admire the people that can speak many different languages.  I can speak a little French (Ex-Chef) and some German, I can understand certain words from quite a few other languages also.

As for speaking any other language fluently, I am not able to :(

Considering the amount of people on the forums that speak English as a 2nd or even 3rd language, I am impressed that some of you guys (as Stu said) can speak/type it better than those who have English as their 1st language :)

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 10:53:38 »

In fact, I'd say one of the great strengths of this forum is the diverse range of people.

My conversations here have inspired me to go visit a few places in Europe this summer (I may even travel on a ferry other than P O Bilbao to get there ;) )

Apart from the occasional short lived misunderstanding, everyone gets on realy quite well. It is quite amazing really.

Stu

EDIT: Gooeder Middag

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 16:20:44 »

In fact, I'd say one of the great strengths of this forum is the diverse range of people.

My conversations here have inspired me to go visit a few places in Europe this summer (I may even travel on a ferry other than P O Bilbao to get there ;) )

Apart from the occasional short lived misunderstanding, everyone gets on realy quite well. It is quite amazing really.

Stu

EDIT: Gooeder Middag

Goedemiddag! Hoe gaat het? 8)

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 16:32:02 »

Goedemiddag! Hoe gaat het? 8)

ummm.... Sorry to say but what does that mean?

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 23:53:04 »

ummm.... Sorry to say but what does that mean?

You could have looked it up...

Flemish (and I suppose Dutch as well if similar, although I have no experience) is a lovely language. Many pronounciations are phonetically similar to English it isn't a hard language to learn.

To all the Dutch/Flemish here... Expect me to talk to you in your native angauge before long.

Pour le Francais. Je suis desolee. Je ne ecrire Francais. (as anyone can tell- no corrections please  :-[  )

Stu
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines