Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 16:49:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Who do you think the Best officer on Titanic was???

Captain E.J. Smith
Chief Officer Henry Wilde
1st Officer William Murdoch
2nd Officer Charles Lightoller
3rd Officer Herbert Pitman
4th Officer Joseph Boxhall
5th Officer Harold Lowe
6th Officer James Moody

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic Officers  (Read 11836 times)

kev600

• Forum member
Titanic Officers
« on: June 14, 2007, 11:38:10 »

Well who do you think is the best? Murdoch for me!
Regards Kevin,
Titanic Research Group

Remember The Elite Officers that perished on that night:

Captain E.J. Smith
Chief Officer Henry Tingle Wilde
First Officer William McMaster Murdoch
Sixth Officer James Paul Moody
Chief Engineer Jo

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: Titanic Officers
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 12:30:08 »

I really don't now enough about it. But I AM interested to know why you say Murdoch.

I know there is controversy over hs character in Camerons dull film.

Was there any basis for his murder/suicide story in the film?

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

svenuske1

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 19:01:35 »

well. i took the captain.

HE DIED WITH HIS SHIP
CAPTAIN FOREVER.

Gustav

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 19:30:58 »

No captain Stuart2007 the "murder/suicide" in the film was later apologized for. Murdoch's relatives threatend cameron that they would go to a court. And cameron apologized for this "incident".
Sincerely Gustav.

"All religions must be accepted, Because every man must come to heaven the way he see fit". Whilhelm 2 "Whilhelm Grobe"

Nescit Occasum

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 21:58:46 »

Thanks Gustav.

So there was NO basis for this particular bit of the film at all? Scandelous. If it were a contentious issue then that would have been a fair plot, but if there ws NO evidence of it then it is scandelous. I hate the film anyway. DiCaprio with his girl like screaming at the beginning. There are better Titanic films, IMHO

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Gustav

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 22:18:53 »

I've found this intersting and i've researched a bit. Some sailors and passengers heard gunshots and some even said it was a suicide. However there is a dissagrement if any shots was fired at all or if it was William Murdoch, Or the chief officer that fired the gun.
Sincerely Gustav.

"All religions must be accepted, Because every man must come to heaven the way he see fit". Whilhelm 2 "Whilhelm Grobe"

Nescit Occasum

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 22:31:42 »

In all that panic, with the banging of lifeboats and veri flare pistols... Maybe guns were fired into the air to get attention/stop a riot. But I find the idea of Murdoch shooting someone odd. As I said, I never liked that dreadful film one bit.

Stu

Gustav

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 22:33:46 »

If you would make a titanic film how would you improve it compared to the 1997 film?
Sincerely Gustav.

Nescit Occasum

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 22:41:49 »

It is just a personal preference. It is less about the ship and more about them two.

The screaming of Dicaprio really does put me off.

The detective bloke was in another film 70s/80s that was really good. It lacked the special effects, but the characters were more convincing and there was better acting.

Only my opinion, I accept it was a very popular film.

Stu

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 23:46:06 »

I know there is controversy over hs character in Camerons dull film.

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Time for me to get my BIG gun :P

Only joking Stu, but seriously I do LOVE that film personally ;D

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Gustav

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 00:31:07 »

Actually the titanic film was not meant to be a "fact" film but it was meant to be a romance on titanic only.
Sincerely Gustav.

Nescit Occasum

chrism

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 14:26:54 »

Actually the titanic film was not meant to be a "fact" film but it was meant to be a romance on titanic only.
I heard that the romance was only a fiction and Rose was much younger on that first and last voyage. Is it true that the movie romance is fiction?

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 15:33:20 »

I heard that the romance was only a fiction and Rose was much younger on that first and last voyage. Is it true that the movie romance is fiction?

The romance is fiction, however the Movie was based on as many 'facts' as could be ascertained from all the conflicting reports of the tragedy.  Some facts were undeniable, but some were inconclusive....that's why there are certain discrepancies and differences of opinion on some aspects of the film :)

Regards.

DJM.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 21:28:19 »

There was a quite big myth that grew up about this being factual. There was a chap in Canada who had the name J. Dawson, and the myth grew that the monument (body not recovered) was to the character in the film.

Stu

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 21:30:56 »

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Time for me to get my BIG gun :P

Ah well, a murder might liven up an otherwise dull film. (sorry!) ;)
Stu

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 23:09:11 »

Ah well, a murder might liven up an otherwise dull film. (sorry!) ;)
Stu

LOL :P

kev600

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2007, 20:51:29 »

actually lads there were supposedly two passengers killed by gunshots of an officer. this was highly unlikely but if it did happen it was definately not murdoch but it could of being Chief officer Henry Tingle Wilde. He had just lost his wife and his son at birth and was in very low spirits. He could of being in depression but it is still very unlikely that he did. the reason i picked murdoch was because he was reported to work extremely hard on the lifeboat loading and i felt that any other of the officers could have not avoided the iceberg and he did briliantly to avoid the propellers and rudder being caught. I like captain smith and don't get me wrong i have huge respect for the man but he lost control of his ship after the first day. He let ismay run the ship not him as ismay wanted to make a record in time so that the ship arrived tuesday night instead of wednesday morning.
Regards Kevin,
Titanic Research Group

Captain E.J. Smith
Chief Engineer Jo

kev600

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2007, 20:55:57 »

i think a great titanic film would have to include maybe a short of quick brief of all the officers and what was happening in their lifes. All the 6 officers and cpatain, Joseph Bell (the chief engineer) and tomas andrews. Also maybe a graphic illustration of the times at harland and wolfe, the tests, the engine room, the boiler rooms and all the rest. I think everything should be done on how everyone got on the the each day including the fire in the boiler rooms. Also get the point in of the usage of telegraphs as i think they a huge part of the character of the ship. Would you agree with me???
Regards Kevin,
Titanic Research Group

Captain E.J. Smith
Chief Engineer Jo

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2007, 22:19:12 »

I like captain smith and don't get me wrong i have huge respect for the man but he lost control of his ship after the first day. He let ismay run the ship not him as ismay wanted to make a record in time so that the ship arrived tuesday night instead of wednesday morning.

Was there any proof about this? I wouldn't rely on James Cameron for factual basis.

Stu

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2007, 22:24:03 »

Was there any proof about this? I wouldn't rely on James Cameron for factual basis.

Stu

According to what I've read, Titanic wasn't the first ship that Captain Smith lost.  He lost at least three if I remember correctly.....if what I read was true of course ;)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2007, 22:25:16 »

According to what I've read, Titanic wasn't the first ship that Captain Smith lost.  He lost at least three if I remember correctly.....if what I read was true of course ;)

Lost? What you mean he parked them in Tescos and forgot what bay he left them on? ;)

Stu

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2007, 22:33:25 »

Lost? What you mean he parked them in Tescos and forgot what bay he left them on? ;)

Stu

:P :P :P I was gonna say something other than 'lost', ah well.....too late.  There's always one who picks up on it eh ;D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2007, 22:35:15 »

Sorry. Its late. I'm bored. Don't expect me to avoid nit picking ;)

I've looked on wikipedia. Apparently Capt Smith was a splendid fellow and all that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Smith

No mention of him losing three ships (or if he did, he found them before anyone noticed). Just the hawke incident and the docking of olympic.

Stu

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2007, 22:36:56 »

Can't remember where I read it now tbh, it was ages ago ;)

kev600

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 17:35:29 »

no he never was on a ship that sank just the collision of the HMS hawke. Also there is several sightings of Smith walking up to ismay and giving him the ice warnings and walking off without opening his mouth. Even bruce ismay admitted that but he denies ever telling him to speed up. Going off trakc i feel sorry for moody as he was the youngest officer , only 24 years of age and he lost his life but he gave to Mr. lowe instead.
Regards Kevin,
Titanic Research Group

Captain E.J. Smith
Chief Engineer Jo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines