Hello Guest July 27, 2024, 00:53:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Faster boats  (Read 10293 times)

Shipwreck

• Forum member
Faster boats
« on: December 29, 2007, 21:34:22 »

To get a faster boat do you need to upgrade your rank?

because in multiplayer i was in a arie visor and someone else was in a arie vissor as well and we had a race and the person was faster than me , the top speed is 32kn and i was upgrading my rank in the missions and i got up to 35kn easy ?

higher your rank = faster boat ?
Developer

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
Re: Faster boats
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 21:43:32 »

No. There is no link between your rank and the speed of your boat (or ship behaviour in general).

Regards
groennegaard

Shipwreck

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 21:55:08 »

i was going at 32kn my top speed before i upgraded and when i got to the last rank i was going 35kn , 3kn faster than topspeed
Developer

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 21:58:16 »

Yes...? And that has absolutely nothing to do with your rank. There might have been a different sea state or something like that, but it has nothing to do with your rank.

Regards
groennegaard

Shipwreck

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 22:02:37 »

same mission same boat basiccly same everything
Developer

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 22:10:08 »

What I'm saying that you apparently have a hard time understanding is that something different than your rank made the difference.

Regards
groennegaard

Shipwreck

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 22:13:49 »

Ok thanks
but im still lil comfused
Developer

mvsmith

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 23:27:34 »

Sustaining slight damage to your boat can lower its top speed, although the Arie Visser is difficult to damage.
Failure to get the throttles all the way up can lower your top speed. Check the RPM.

Shipwreck

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 11:16:47 »

everything was the same , full throtle , no damage , same RPM , same mission
Developer

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 20:11:05 »

Some of the ships are fast... 26.80 knots with Vermaas is just better than riding a Ferrari ;D

mvsmith

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 21:01:30 »

Say, groennegaard, perhaps we could perform an experiment. You could knock all his rankings down to see if it makes his boats go slower. ;D
Regards,
Marty

Lanedre

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 23:15:29 »

Maybe it has something to do with the computer.
Ex. if your computer has been on for a while maybe it is hot and perform slower?
So if you start with a cold computer it performs better?

I don't really know a lot about this but I just thought it might be the reason ;) 

TerryRussell

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 01:15:15 »

Wind speed and direction have an effect. Are you sure they were the same each time?

Were you heading the same course each time?

Other than that, I can't see any reason why the speed would be different. I don't think SS08 has curents or tides (yet), so it's not that.

Shipwreck

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 13:27:06 »

same mission = same boat , RPM , no damage , same moving , same wind ~(0kn)

like i said same everything
Developer

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 14:42:50 »

Hello,
Wind speed and direction have an effect. Are you sure they were the same each time?

Were you heading the same course each time?

Other than that, I can't see any reason why the speed would be different. I don't think SS08 has curents or tides (yet), so it's not that.
Wind speed and direction have no effect (not yet...).  Height of the waves have a (too) great effect, as far as I could see. I shall try to find out if the waves direction changes the speed...
Regards,
Luc

TerryRussell

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 16:23:55 »

Hello,Wind speed and direction have no effect (not yet...).  Height of the waves have a (too) great effect, as far as I could see. I shall try to find out if the waves direction changes the speed...
Regards,
Luc

Hi Luc.

Wind speed and direction certainly do have an effect! Try setting a strong cross-wind or head-wind and you'll find that it affects your speed over the ground. Also, you will have to keep coming to heading, so the constant swinging back and forwards will effectively slow th eboat. This is more noticable in the smaller boats of course (and the Hovercraft!).

I just checked using Pioneer and setting various head winds and cross winds.

TerryRussell

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 16:24:57 »

But I am certain that Rank has no effect!  ;D

But I could be wrong!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 16:46:18 by TerryRussell »

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 16:36:01 »

Hmmm,
I am just trying with the fishing vessel Nordkap, crosswind 34kt, no drift at all (waterdepth 48m).
Surely, waves have a dynamic effect, it is to be underlined indeed.
I'll go now over to Pioneer...
Luc

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 16:44:08 »

Pioneer stopped upwind from a small rock to check the drift, heading 090, wind S 34 kts... no drift at all!
Location North of Iles du Frioul.
Could you please tell me how you encountered drift from the wind?
Regards,
Luc

TerryRussell

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 16:45:59 »

Pick a heading, say 0 degrees and see how far you end up off course after a five minutes at top speed. Then repeat with a cross wind.

TerryRussell

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 16:47:50 »

What upgrades and add-ons do you have installed? I have 1.3 with 2006 => 2008 add-ons. I also have 2006 installed on the same PC.

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 16:55:33 »

So do I (although it is ShipSim 2006 Pro instead of 2006, making no difference I am sure).
But how can you then differentiate between streams and drift from the wind?
Also I am not a good enough helmsman with a Pioneer at top speed to check the drift like you say, I would need an autopilot.
But an important drift at high speed and no drift at all when stopped is .... bizarre?
Luc

mvsmith

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 17:12:53 »

Hi Terry & Luc:
During testing of Titanic 2…, I had an opportunity to see the effects of various sea states on the speed and steering of Titanic (the entire 4-hour mission is about steering).While the wind may not directly affect the ship, it has a big effect on the sea, and through it, upon both the set of the ship and her tendency to fall off her heading. It also has an effect upon her maximum speed.
Regards
Marty

TerryRussell

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 17:26:01 »

Yeah, I suspect it IS the waves that are whipped up by the wind that affect things, rather than the wind itself being factored in by the simulation engine.

TerryRussell

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 17:30:57 »

Hi again Luc.

Actually, if you leave a vessel at rest, unachored, the wind does cause it to drift off station. Now, that may be the wave effect rather than the wind, but it does happen. It can take a while to see it, though.

I am testing this by producing a simple mission (1 way point) and changing the environment. I don't know if makes a difference. (You may be doing it differently).

Anyhow, all this is getting away from "Does the Rank affect the top speed?". If we accept what was said originally, that all variables are identical except rank, then it must be rank. Is there an easy way to change that and see if it has the claimed effect?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines